Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We should offer 100 million to seal the deal. One thing's for sure - he's slightly better than what we have.
Thank God you're not in charge. 100 million should get you real quality, not Maguire.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Use your feckin Scouts ffs. There should be some decent defenders available for half the quoted price. How the hell is it so hard to find upgrades on our CBs.

The more days passed, the less confident I am in Ole and United.
Whilst I get the frustration the CB's our scouts have found in recent years have been Bailey and Lindelof

So we now turn to established CB's you have Maguire who Leicester want a record fee for, Diop who West Ham want a record fee for, Koulibaly who Napoli want a record fee for, De Ligt (who doesn't want to come), Varane (who's not for sale) etc etc etc

It's really not as easy as so many seem to think

Macern

Pee pee pants
Madness. Walk away. I don't think he's that good, and I fear he would flop 40M at most. There must be other defenders out there who are much much better.
What about Axel? He's naturally composed which Maguire isn't.
How is Maguire not composed?

CM

in all honesty - if I had to choose between buying Maguire or Hernandez for the same price, I'd buy Maguire twice.
I don't think he's worth that much either but I think he's got more going for him than Maguire. He's already played at a much higher level for Atletico and France at a younger age. I'd be more confident of him improving in the next few years than I would be with Maguire too.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Van Dijk didn't have vulnerabilities in his game like Maguire has now, I'd watch more of Maguire before trying to say they're very comparable. Maguire would be a big asset in the air, but defensively he has his weaknesses. The same couldn't be said about Van Dijk around the time Liverpool wanted him. We'd be foolish to pay over £70 million for him.
Thanks for the advice.

But at the time lots of people were saying he was not worth the money as he was untested at the top level and that was when people thought the fee was going to be 60 mill.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
How is Maguire not composed?
Never seems that much when I've watched him.
In any case, not worth that money. Sure there's someone much better out there who'd cost less, or if we're prepared to spend this much, at least get someone of a much higher quality.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Whilst I get the frustration the CB's our scouts have found in recent years have been Bailey and Lindelof

So we now turn to established CB's you have Maguire who Leicester want a record fee for, Diop who West Ham want a record fee for, Koulibaly who Napoli want a record fee for, De Ligt (who doesn't want to come), Varane (who's not for sale) etc etc etc

Those were quite clearly Mourinho's scouts. I literally have no idea who our scouts put forward, we always end up with the predictable options.

CM

How about Maguire and Tuanzebe if people are worried about pace.
Tuanzebe has played a handful of Premier League games, it's crazy to expect him to walk in and become the bedrock of a successful team. For the money required to sign Maguire he should be able to play with anyone anyway.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I hope he proves me (and plenty of others here) wrong, but he's not worth 70m. Anything above that is pure lunacy. Why can't we just sign Koulibaly if we're being quoted Koulibaly prices?

trafford1980

I'm obviously in the minority in wondering why all the outrage about the rumoured Maguire fee. We've seen the likes of VVD along with Kepa (70mil), Alisson (66 mil), Laporte (57 mil), Mendy (52 mil) and Walker (50 mil) all move for record amounts and in Maguire you have an established England international who's won the highest end of season player honours in 5 of his 8 professional seasons, across three different clubs. And he's just turned 26.

It reminds me of the discussions about Pogba's fee at the time. It's only expensive until it isn't, and I'd bet that if we end up signing him for around the 75-80 mil mark, the fee will surpassed again and again within the next few years.

Maguire doesn't need to be a world beater, he just needs to be an improvement on what we have and help us beat seventeen other teams to finish in the top four. We can argue about him getting skinned by the likes of Mbappe in a years time.

Do I think that Maguire is worth 90 million pounds? Feck no. But I don't think that Lucas Hernandez is worth near 70 mil, Dembele 97 mil (upfront), or the aformentioned Kepa over 70 million pounds either, but that's what they are worth.

There's a clear precedent here and yet everyone's got sandy pants.

DoomSlayer

I hope he proves me (and plenty of others here) wrong, but he's not worth 70m. Anything above that is pure lunacy. Why can't we just sign Koulibaly if we're being quoted Koulibaly prices?
Koulibaly would cost around £130 million as he isn't pushing for a move at all.

I'd rather we look for a young and tall dominating CB, no point in wasting our money on players that improve us only slightly whilst still having glaring weaknesses (talking about Maguire here).

Last edited:

Roboc7

i guess there are many ways to look at this. He is proven in the league would fit in immediately no language barrier. i also agree that 70 mil should be the cap. but then where do you go for a centre back?
He’s proven in the league at a particular level. Look at how Johnny Evans was ridiculed playing for us but celebrated WBA. It’s very different and a huge risk, surely we should have been scouring Europe for last year for alternatives in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal.

It’s not like this is a new problem position for us or there aren’t other options out there. The way the league is now buying players from teams outside the top four is going to be extortionate and they are still risks. Quarter of a billion would only get you AWB, Rice, Maguire and Maddison.

vanderpants

90m? He isn't worth 70m, I really hope we don't sign him and we move onto a better CB. I don't think Ed will pay anywhere near 90m for him, I bet Ed shit himself bidding 70m!

Gandalf

Koulibaly would cost around £130 million as he isn't pushing for a move at all.

I'd rather we look for a young and tall dominating CB, no pint in wasting our money on players that improve us only slightly whilst still having glaring weaknesses (talking about Maguire here).
But who exactly? We do need to sign someone who can start right now and any young CB who is good enough to walk into our first team is likely to cost at least 60m. We could sign someone cheaper that we think can do the job but if it doesn't work out then we have another bust on huge wages sitting on the bench with Jones, Rojo and Bailly. Maguire is significantly better than what we have, is entering his prime and will enable us to play out from the back and adapt a more modern style of play.

RedDevilUnited369

I’m not sold on Maguire. Not had a problem with Rashford contract or 50m for Bissaka. But 70m is already to much for Maguire in my opinion.

I’m willing to be proven wrong. His forward runs stick out in memory. We do need that level of confidence from the CB position.

AdNani

He’s proven in the league at a particular level. Look at how Johnny Evans was ridiculed playing for us but celebrated WBA. It’s very different and a huge risk, surely we should have been scouring Europe for last year for alternatives in France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal.

It’s not like this is a new problem position for us or there aren’t other options out there. The way the league is now buying players from teams outside the top four is going to be extortionate and they are still risks. Quarter of a billion would only get you AWB, Rice, Maguire and Maddison.
Maguire too much of a risk but we should scour the Spanish, Portuguese and Italian leagues for alternatives, makes sense, Maguire is by far and away the least risky option, Bar maybe Koulibaly/ De Ligt. Koulibaly is going for 130 million and De Ligt doesn’t want to come here.

All for it, hope we get him in before the tour.

Adcuth

How about Maguire and Tuanzebe if people are worried about pace.
Buy Maguire, work in tuanzabe for different games/injuries. Use bailly and smalling as back up or if we deffo need pace in defence

Holters

This signing is a bit confusing when you take into account that all our CBs (bar Rojo) are best on the right side of a partnership. Hasn't Maguire mainly played DCR and is right footed?

Solskjaer used Vegard Foren in Molde as DCL, who is awfully slow, but good on the ball and left footed. Maguire, despite being on a different level, has similar attributes - however mainly for the right side.

DRM

Koulibaly is being quoted at 130m, so almost double the price we've bid for Maguire.

hobbers

£90m for a slightly less ham-fisted but also even slower version of Phil Jones.

Adcuth

He isn't always that slow though is he? He'd been turned and is off balance sure I saw him keeping enough distance ahead of lingard in one video. Or is his issue his speed at turning and accelerating rather than full sprint speed?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
At least this proves that we aren’t in the running for De Ligt. I’m sick to death of that one to be honest.

LonelyFire

Suspect he’ll need to ask the Leicester owners to accept it - was there not a suggestion he had an agreement from last year that he could go this summer?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
All I’m saying is Klopp waited for the right guy. A true rebuild won’t happen in one season.
We passed on a centre back last season to evaluate options this summer. We can't really keep delaying.

Also, couple of questions by way of alternatives: would Bonnuci not be get able if Juve have De Ligt and Chielini to play with alongside Rugani on the side? If Sarri plays a 4 at the back how will he keep all happy?

Also I'm assuming Skriniar isn't that good anymore? The buzz about him seemed to die down.

Personally I'd rather we signed Alderwierald. For all his weaknesses he's still a good defender who is comfortable on the ball and a steal transfer fee.

That said Maguire has his assets and he can develop his game at his age. I'm not totally against the transfer. Will just have to forget the silly fee I guess.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
But who exactly? We do need to sign someone who can start right now and any young CB who is good enough to walk into our first team is likely to cost at least 60m. We could sign someone cheaper that we think can do the job but if it doesn't work out then we have another bust on huge wages sitting on the bench with Jones, Rojo and Bailly. Maguire is significantly better than what we have, is entering his prime and will enable us to play out from the back and adapt a more modern style of play.
Alessio Romagnoli for LCB. I know he's a milanista but it's got to be now or never with Milan out of the Europa League & new manager incoming.

I'd also try to force the issue with Skriniar. Yes I know he's just re-contracted & is super settled in Milan. But I'm sure we can turn his head through sign-on fees & wages. Also, we know Conte is desperate for Lukaku & Inter are skint.

A Lukaku + £30m bid or a Lukaku + Bailly bid should get Inter to let go of Skriniar.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
What about our policy that there is money to spend, but for Varane and not Maguire just a year ago?

They will milk 80 out of us. And he is not worth it imo.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff

My beef is we never seem to get players like Maguire before he went to Leicester. Shouldn't our scouts be predicting players to take a step up like Maguire did?

SATA

I would question his commitment to really want to come here if he doesn't hand in a transfer request. Surely he knows he won't get another opportunity like this again? This year is his last and best chance to move to a big club to play at a higher level

DoomSlayer

This is where the scouting department should come in and do the job they are paid for. There is a huge amount of young CBs in the top 5 leagues, I can name a few but not really watched them a lot and can mostly judge them on statistics.

There are definitely better and more rational options out in the market, we can't keep wasting money and expecting to rebuild when it gets bad again because £90 million for a player like Maguire with no sell-on value is madness. Look at Pogba, at least we can make a big profit on him. With Lukaku we are aiming to break even. What happens if Maguire flops? We won't get even £50 million back for him.

SATA

My beef is we never seem to get players like Maguire before he went to Leicester. Shouldn't our scouts be predicting players to take a step up like Maguire did?
We are definitely trying to go down that route now, no? Signed Daniel James and now being interested in this Longstaff chap

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What about our policy that there is money to spend, but for Varane and not Maguire just a year ago?

They will milk 80 out of us. And he is not worth it imo.
Whatever policy there was probably changed when our season imploded, we replaced our manager and then our season imploded again.

Status
Not open for further replies.