Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Leicester won the title not too long ago if you can bother to remember .. they also finished the season better than us.
Its this 'entitled' mentality that really worries me.
If you're not looking over your shoulder at the likes of Leicester and Wolves especially if Lukaku/Pogba go and are not replaced properly you should be. This transfer window is make or break.
That was a one off miracle season, where the planets aligned. They then lost two of the absolute star men from the team.

If we're really looking backwards down the table, when we've finished 6th, we really are screwed.
Pogba's situation is a huge worry, but I don't think Lukaku's is. We can all see that he's a pretty shocking footballer, who somehow scores quite a few goals.

Stubble

That was a one off miracle season, where the planets aligned. They then lost two of the absolute star men from the team.

If we're really looking backwards down the table, when we've finished 6th, we really are screwed.
Pogba's situation is a huge worry, but I don't think Lukaku's is. We can all see that he's a pretty shocking footballer, who somehow scores quite a few goals.
The way we finished the season we should be looking over our shoulder. The loss of Pogba or an even less motivated Pogba next season (one or the other seems very likely) will hit us big time if good starting replacements or an alternative option are not added (i.e.not prospects like Longstaff) . Yes Lukaku can go i agree but who is replacing his goals? Not Rashford or Martial from previous experience and Greenwood is not ready yet so we'd need a decent signing here - will we get one ?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
This sort of mentality is the sort of small time stuff that really worries me.

We're worrying about the likes of Leicester taking our top 6 status!
It's not small time mentality it's just the reality of the quality of our team. People thought we wouldn't finish as low as 6th last year when some of us could see it coming a mile off before the season started.

thomas porter

70m plus Phil Jones should be enough to get this over the line.

If not offer them 85m and get it done asap. We need as much time as possible to form a center back partnership and overall chemistry amongst the back four.

That chemistry is something execs like Levy and Woodward fail to understand time and time again. For example, when Tottenham sold us Berbatov they waited until the absolute last minute to get every last penny out of United which was a business perspective makes sense. However, from a sporting perspective they didn't leave themselves enough time to find an adequate replacement.

Its clear Ole understands the importance of doing your business early but it seems to be lost on the C suite and could hurt our early season performance imo.

Reactions: Varun

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
70m plus Phil Jones should be enough to get this over the line.

If not offer them 85m and get it done asap. We need as much time as possible to form a center back partnership and overall chemistry amongst the back four.

That chemistry is something execs like Levy and Woodward fail to understand time and time again. For example, when Tottenham sold us Berbatov they waited until the absolute last minute to get every last penny out of United which was a business perspective makes sense. However, from a sporting perspective they didn't leave themselves enough time to find an adequate replacement.

Its clear Ole understands the importance of doing your business early but it seems to be lost on the C suite and could hurt our early season performance imo.
Why would they want Phil Jones?

"Hey man, I know that hat costs £30 but let me give you £25 plus some belly button fluff and this dead bird that I found outside".

But you're totally right, this stuff really needs taken care of before the players are due to train together.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

"Hey man, I know that hat costs £30 but let me give you £25 plus some belly button fluff and this dead bird that I found outside".

But you're totally right, this stuff really needs taken care of before the players are due to train together.
I’d advise them to hang on, I’ve got a feeling someone will be along in a minute to offer them £300.

Houdini

I feel that Ed is going to complete Maguire's transfer. "Soon" :drool:

Reincarnated

Only way we can get players through the door is to overpay by 20-30 million. If we don't then we are stuck with Jones, Smaling and Rojo etc.

But I am ok to overpay, because I would rather overpay than the money ending up in owner's pocket.

diarm

Seems like we're nudging Maguire to start making some noise and put some pressure on Leicester over the last couple of hours.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Nice to read good players still do want to come and join us and while he was never my first choice I'd be happy now getting Maguire in

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

:lol:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Can we move on from this? It's not like we're paying for a young Rio. Leicester taking us to the cleaners, so I don't understand the obsession. If we can spend this much money surely we can get someone far better?

macheda14

Can we move on from this? It's not like we're paying for a young Rio. Leicester taking us to the cleaners, so I don't understand the obsession. If we can spend this much money surely we can get someone far better?
Who?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Like who ? Importance of having CL. Its either Maguire or no one.

Sp00ks11

Name who we can get that's better? Remember this is real world not football manager.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Would be stupid to pay £70m+ for him. Decent player but no way near top class.

Jazz

Surely the scouting team has others? It's him or no one? Really?
70M+ for this guy is madness and I really doubt he'd improve us much.

Maybe United should expand their focus a bit and look at others who aren't English..:rolleyes: It's a very narrow focus and you're spending a lot of not much that's very good in most cases. We're not talking £40 or £50M - £70 odd million plus is complete madness for this guy.

Jazz

Name who we can get that's better? Remember this is real world not football manager.
I'm not a scout. I'm pretty sure there are others out there for less and more effective even. We've narrowed our focus on this mostly English and it's madness. How many scouts working for us and they haven't got anyone else they can recommend? That doesn't sound logical. Unless of course, we're invested in being biased towards 'English' only. I'm English and find this policy extremely ridiculous and limiting.

Remember when Arsene went down that route? Arsenal turned to shit and the English players had the mentality of feck all when the going got tough.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Like who?

He is quality.

macheda14

Surely the scouting team has others? It's him or no one? Really?
70M+ for this guy is madness and I really doubt he'd improve us much.

Maybe United should expand their focus a bit and look at others who aren't English..:rolleyes: It's a very narrow focus and you're spending a lot of not much that's very good in most cases. We're not talking £40 or £50M - £70 odd million plus is complete madness for this guy.
He’s a very very good centre back. One of the best in the league. He’s also experienced enough to be the heart of our back line. Alderweirald is 25mill but looks like he won’t be leaving this summer/might not want to come. The 40/50 mill players are younger and are of the same status as Bailly when he first arrived. The 70 mill ones don’t exist. The 100 mill + ones do, Koulibaly, Varane etc. But they look like they’re all perfectly happy where they are. By your metric we buy another young CB or we go into next season with the exact same back line.

Jazz

He’s a very very good centre back. One of the best in the league. He’s also experienced enough to be the heart of our back line. Alderweirald is 25mill but looks like he won’t be leaving this summer/might not want to come. The 40/50 mill players are younger and are of the same status as Bailly when he first arrived. The 70 mill ones don’t exist. The 100 mill + ones do, Koulibaly, Varane etc. But they look like they’re all perfectly happy where they are. By your metric we buy another young CB or we go into next season with the exact same back line.
I contend there are players out there not on our radar. What's the point of our scouts? Was Vidic a player you knew about? No. There are out there if we actually look.

In any case, let's see if we get him and he doesn't live up to his £70 - £80M expectation. I hope I don't hear anyone blaming Ed if this doesn't work out. I'd be shocked if he turned out to be what people are expecting of him.

Jazz

No correlation whatsoever.
Folks too quick to urge the club to spend loads of money on certain players when they aren't actually guaranteed to really improve us. I'm shocked some are being so blaise about the price for this lad. Just seems a colossal waste to me when there has to be other options out there.
Seems lazy on our part.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Same thing folks were saying here about Lukaku... what a waste that £75M was.
Lukaku wasn't a bad buy. We'll sell him for about 75, so it was not a car crash. And he scored some goals. Not a quality signing, but not bad either. Granted, for 75 one can be forgiven for expecting more.

Jazz

Lukaku wasn't a bad buy. We'll sell him for about 75, so it was not a car crash. And he scored some goals. Not a quality signing, but not bad either. Granted, for 75 one can be forgiven for expecting more.
That's my point. To spend that kind of money you expect a quality signing.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Folks too quick to urge the club to spend loads of money on certain players when they aren't actually guaranteed to really improve us. I'm shocked some are being so blaise about the price for this lad. Just seems a colossal waste to me when there has to be other options out there.
Seems lazy on our part.
Not Blaise at all - I rate him highly and its bizarre for anyone to think he wouldn't improve us. As if he isn't street's ahead of the shit we have there.

If he's Ole's primary target then why settle for a lesser option?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
That's my point. To spend that kind of money you expect a quality signing.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.
There are many defenders that will look quality when compared to our lot and the majority of them don't cost 80mil. But I'm tired. Tired! We need a feckin defender and if he has to have a big head on his shoulders then so be it.

Jazz

There are many defenders that will look quality when compared to our lot and the majority of them don't cost 80mil. But I'm tired. Tired! We need a feckin defender and if he has to have a big head on his shoulders then so be it.
:lol::lol::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can everyone stop writing these points again and again

1. The fee is high, can't we get someone else for it
  2. He ain't quick at running
  3. He's better than the rest of our centre backs

We know!

Jericholyte2

To anyone complaining about the fee, read this:

https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-tyrone-mings-for-20m-proves-fees-are-irrelevant

Harry Maguire won’t cost United 70/80/85m, however much he gets sold for, because of his footballing value, but for the value we, and Leicester, place on him.

• Leicester are on the verge of breaking into a regular top 6/7th and Maguire would be a vital cog in that team, so they won’t want to sell, therefore he’ll cost more than market value
  • Leicester are under no financial pressure to sell, therefore he’ll cost more than market value
  • United want to sign him, with Leicester knowing he would be in the first-choice CB partnership, therefore he’ll cost more than market value
  • Leicester know we’re desperate for a CB, therefore he’ll cost more than market value
  • Leicester would then have to replace him, with selling clubs knowing they got a ton of money ready to spend, therefore he’ll cost more than market value
The sums involved with these transfers in never down to a purely footballing attribute. It’s why a 33yr old Ronaldo still cost over 100m, because both Juventus and Real know the difference a player like that can have and so for Real to lose him needed a sum more than what they probably would have genuinely valued him at.

We need to stop bitching about the numbers and start thinking of the impact players will have on our team:

• Does Maguire have the quality to make a difference to our defence - YES
  • Does he appear from the outside to have the mentality and leadership to lead our defence - YES
Then we’ll spend whatever’s needed on him and once the performances come in we’ll forget all about how much he cost us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I contend there are players out there not on our radar. What's the point of our scouts? Was Vidic a player you knew about? No. There are out there if we actually look.

In any case, let's see if we get him and he doesn't live up to his £70 - £80M expectation. I hope I don't hear anyone blaming Ed if this doesn't work out. I'd be shocked if he turned out to be what people are expecting of him.
I think it would be the current admin's fault who seem obsessed with Brexit FC

LuckyScout78

I have observed and analyzed the big behind a successful team is a top hard working dcm. He is running alot, good to break up opponent attack and is decent with the ball. Like Kante and Fernandinho.

So if United dont get this kind of quality player in this position. Im sure United will not get into top 4, even after buying Maguire. With this current squad. United biggest problem is the dcm, not cb. United cm is the weakest link. If McTom, Fred, Matic, Perreira, or Fosu can improve and hit the level of Kante and Fernandinho. It will help a bit.

My advice and suggest to United. Find a top dcm and better spend big, 70-80 mill £ on him and around 50 on a new CB. Because injury free season or not crisis situation. Always have 3 cb options include Tuanzebe. Im satisfying with United CB options with Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe. Even Matic can be a left cb back up option.

So again. I can conclude if United dont get a top quality dcm/cm this summer or current cm options can hit top level over a whole season. Even a Maguire, De Ligt and Koubaly will not help much for that top 4 spot.
You can be as good as you can with a solid backline. But without a top quality dcm to shield, protect and do the hard work in front of them. And to win the battle in the middle of the park and pitch. Most time you will not win the matches and will end out of top 4. Compare to the others top 6 club level.

Liverpool and City will finish above United. Tottenham might do it too. Then you have Chelsea. Transfer ban, but Lampard is taking over a really strong XI line up and squad.

Az - Rudiger/Christensen - Luiz/Zouma - Alonso/Emerson

Pedro/Hudson - Kante/Kovacic - Jorginho/Barkley - Pulisic/Willian

Loftus/Abraham - Giroud

In a 442 formation. Chelsea are closing two really good options in every position.

And theirs U19 came to the final of the uefa youth league final 2019. And i saw they some good youngster as United 19 like Chong and Garner.

So it will not surprise me if Chelsea get 3 place again next season. If Lampard get the best out of those players together. Their chance to get top 4 is high. Special if Hudson and Abraham play for them a lot next season. Lampard is taking over a really good squad.

Contra and compare to United midfield

Mata/Lingard/Chong - Matic/McTom/Fred - Pogba/Longstaff - Martial/James/Sanchez

Who are United hard working cm with running legs?The cm player closest to those needed abilities is McTom. McTom is lightweight. So he might can run alot. Fosu Mensah might has the legs and athletic abilities too. No Herrera legs and hard working. And go into the next season with United current cm options. I can smell problems long way. United weakest link and area. Get to be solve before the season start.

Status
Not open for further replies.