Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Hes going to get slower and hes slow now that's for certain. What is going to improve?
But pace is not the only attribute one should have to be considered great ? Smalling and Jones have all the pace but have they actually developed into world-class defenders? Never mind world class, actual Man Utd defenders? Im not saying that Maguire is the best defender out there and me personally i would have rather seen Koulibaly in the red shirt, but you dont always get what you want.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Finally we're going to have a decent quality centre back at the club.

RedCurry

I think there is an irrational obsession about his pace. It’s fair to be critical of his positioning but pace isn’t a necessary requirement for a CB. Even in PL the only top class CB with pace is Van Djik. Yet we have one of the fastest defenders, Smalling, and no one here seems to rate him even though he is virtually impossible to beat in a foot race. In recent times our best CB was probably Blind and he is one of the slowest players I’ve seen. Vertonghen is quite slow and yet he has been one the best defenders in the league for many years.

At the very least, we need a presence in our box to defend set pieces and against teams that try to play long balls, we should finally look a lot more secure with Maguire. He’s of course obscenely priced but let’s try to improve our team even if it’s marginal.

Hughes35

Hes going to get slower and hes slow now that's for certain. What is going to improve?
Ever thought that it might be better to buy a player that doesn't rely on pace as he would have more longevity as he has already learned how to be a very good player by reading the game?

SER19

I'm going to be optimistic and back this fully. We need a centre half, and a leader and if he excels here we will not give two shits about the fee.

Let's hope he becomes a monster here l, him and bissaka can transform the defence that looked hopeless last season

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think there is an irrational obsession about his pace. It’s fair to be critical of his positioning but pace isn’t a necessary requirement for a CB. Even in PL the only top class CB with pace is Van Djik. Yet we have one of the fastest defenders, Smalling, and no one here seems to rate him even though he is virtually impossible to beat in a foot race. In recent times our best CB was probably Blind and he is one of the slowest players I’ve seen. Vertonghen is quite slow and yet he has been one the best defenders in the league for many years.

At the very least, we need a presence in our box to defend set pieces and against teams that try to play long balls, we should finally look a lot more secure with Maguire. He’s of course obscenely priced but let’s try to improve our team even if it’s marginal.
Smalling has been left for dead many times, which is why he has had to resort to his trademark grabbing/shirtpulling. We saw glimpses of that on Saturday. But at least it's generally agreed that Maguire (along with Wan-Bissaka) will hopefully resolve most of our defensive frailties going forward. Only time will tell whether they turn out to be sound investments or not.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Do you think you will up you highest bid so far (60m + 20m in addons, as reported), or just try and wait Leicester out, expecting Harry to agitate for the move as the window closure gets closer?

Ekeke

If we have to pay 80m or higher, they'll be shaking with laughter for sure. Even their Arabs aren't that stupid throwing out money.
Agree, but even if they signed him he'd be a replacement for Otamendi who wants more starts and competition for Stones. I dont think he'd improve them much if at all defensively but might be better on the ball than Stones/Otamendi and their 2nd best in that regard after Laporte. Even in a team that has so much of the ball I think Maguire would improve them only a small amount like he would with us

Ballist1x

Maguire might be a good second CB next to VVD for example. But if you put tried tested and failed centre backs like our lot next to him he we wont look good.

I just cant fathom why we have 4 senior CB on our books and to be honest none if them are top 6 club rated.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah, he will replace training dummies or goal posts.
I am not worried about him getting slower tbh. That's because the only way that player can do well is for that club to compliment that player with players whose strengths counter those weaknesses. Players (and the clubs they play with) tend to struggle to adapt when the player has lost a key attribute of his game rather then when that player has never had that attribute in the first place. For example Rio couldn't adapt to the fact that one of his strengths (ie pace) had suddenly became his weakness. We had the best defender of his era (forget Cannavaro, Terry, Vidic or Nesta, Rio was the man) who simply couldn't adapt losing that yard of pace. On the other hand Teddy Sheringham didn't had these issues as pace was always an issue for him.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm going to be optimistic and back this fully. We need a centre half, and a leader and if he excels here we will not give two shits about the fee.

Let's hope he becomes a monster here l, him and bissaka can transform the defence that looked hopeless last season
Agreed, if he makes us better then who cares about the fee?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I am not worried about him getting slower tbh. That's because the only way that player can do well is for that club to compliment that player with players whose strengths counter those weaknesses. Players (and the clubs they play with) tend to struggle to adapt when the player has lost a key attribute of his game rather then when that player has never had that attribute in the first place. For example Rio couldn't adapt to the fact that one of his strengths (ie pace) had suddenly became his weakness. We had the best defender of his era (forget Cannavaro, Terry, Vidic or Nesta, Rio was the man) who simply couldn't adapt losing that yard of pace. On the other hand Teddy Sheringham didn't had these issues as pace was always an issue for him.
Yeah, agree with this. Also I don't know why anyone is worried about physical decline of a player when he is just 26 and barely had any injuries.

Ballist1x

Just reading an article from 2 years ago. Harry was in the top 20 slowest players in the premier league then. Presumably he's got no quicker.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah, agree with this. Also I don't know why anyone is worried about physical decline of a player when he is just 26 and barely had any injuries.
That's also true especially for someone like Maguire who rely so much on his physical attributes rather then his pace. The former are the last things to go. If we bring the right players to partner the guy and assuming that he doesn't pick some nasty injury then I can see the guy still be around at age 34-35

SER19

Wasn't it Maldini who said 'as soon as I have to make a tackle, I've made a mistake'

Don't get me wrong, I love fast players, but we desperately need a leader at the back, that commands the box, can break away with ball, aerially strong.

Its funny as I've always felt that centre back is about the partnership and never the individual. Always feel that if Smalling has a top quality partner his own game would elevate, it can't have been easy swapping round partners with lindelof Jones Rojo blind bailly and more for years.

Smalling and Maguire or Lindelof and Maguire could be great for us

davidmichael

Smalling is so much better alongside a ball playing centre back that takes charge and leaves Smalling to just defends as we saw with Blind and he’s one of the quickest centre backs in the league, I think he’ll be good alongside a leader like Maguire.

Also Tuanzebe is very quick as well as being very good on the ball himself so I think a core of Maguire, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Lindelof is the best group we’ll have had since Rio, Vidic, Evans and Smalling. Jones will be kept regardless as we’ve just signed him for another how ever many years so he can be fifth choice which allows us to move Bailly, Rojo and Darmian on and hopefully bring in around £30-£40 million.

Hammondo

He isn't anywhere near as slow as some are claiming him to be. At the start of the vid below, he is chasing Sane and does well against him. I'd say Maguire is quicker than Lindelof.

That video just shows him being really slow.

LimePark

Supports
Chelsea
To think people were laughing when Van Dijk went for £75 million.

Hammondo

So much moaning about the potential cost. The cost means nothing to me, I have no say, it’s not my money. Are the prices in modern football obscene? Of course, the world has people homeless and starving and ideally the football world would be torn up to help cure poverty.

But we sadly don’t live in that world.

What is this particular player worth to our particular team at this particular time? Do we need him?, will we be stronger or weaker with him in the team? Is he a good fit? Will he need to settle or will he hit the ground running? Can we get better answers to these questions elsewhere at a different price?

Finally, given the answers to the previous offset against what we may stand to gain or lose.

How much are we going to have to pay to extract him from that team to our team? Ed may be a dick but he does not want to pay loads any more than we do.

Sellers market dictates all. Football has gone nuts and the bubble will eventually burst. Hopefully we will be in a position to survive when it happens.

For now we are playing catch-up. Our rivals hands are aces and kings, we are playing with lesser hands we have to offset with money.
It matters because we only have a certain amount of money to spend and it could be much better spent elsewhere.

Denis' cuff

Smalling is so much better alongside a ball playing centre back that takes charge and leaves Smalling to just defends as we saw with Blind and he’s one of the quickest centre backs in the league, I think he’ll be good alongside a leader like Maguire.

Also Tuanzebe is very quick as well as being very good on the ball himself so I think a core of Maguire, Smalling, Tuanzebe and Lindelof is the best group we’ll have had since Rio, Vidic, Evans and Smalling. Jones will be kept regardless as we’ve just signed him for another how ever many years so he can be fifth choice which allows us to move Bailly, Rojo and Darmian on and hopefully bring in around £30-£40 million.
Can’t believe Jones is actually not far off his testimonial here, yet has averaged less than 20 appearances per season. Utter waste of space and the club are a fecking joke indulging in him.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That video just shows him being really slow.
Sane is among the fastest players in Europe and Maguire does well against him whilst the German is in full flow. I guess you were against the signing of De Ligt who is also slow?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's not that they're silly, but they're probably more that what most of the players are worth or could get elsewhere. As Mike said, this makes it harder for us to shift players who aren't working. Their value as an asset goes down because you can't liquidate them easily. Many may end up being released at the end of their contracts.
But again most of them would get a comparable salary elsewhere. Who wouldn't? Two or three maybe but then you're looking at the likes of Rashford who is on that money precisely to stop him going anywhere.

Marcelinho87

Or £80 million because Leicester do not want or need to sell Maguire, so they set a price (if one has been set) where it is too good for them to refuse... their I do not want to sell price, just like we have set a tag of £150+ million for Pogba... you want him you pay over the odds and through the nose.

Also bear in mind that Leicester need to replace Maguire, now if Utd have scouted and decided that Maguire is worth £70+ Million it is because they have failed to find players matching Maguire's credentials for less, this means that Leicester are not easily going to be able to find a like for like replacement for Maguire or at least one which is not going to have them paying through the nose also or a player they have to take a risk on.

In short even at £80 million it is not a great deal for Leicester a club who have won the Premier league more recently than us and who has serious designs on finishing 6th or higher next season, losing Maguire is a big dent in those ambitions and the profile that the club is building.

I know we are Utd, one of the biggest clubs in the world but Leicester are well backed, managed and are in a prime stable situation to build on their recent success, they are not a minnow to be bullied.

The situation is not different to Madrid and De Gea, Leicester want £80 million or more it is up to them and the only reason or justification they need to set the price that high is that he is their player under a long contract, time some of the fans on here woke up and smelled the coffee.
Yep, a lot of fans can't seem to grasp how values work.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anyone expecting Lindelof/Tuanzebe to partner him is going to be bitterly disappointed. It will 100% be Smalling.
Don't think so, They're both the same sort of player. Maguire is aggressive and likes to attack the loose ball, so does Smalling.

They need a covering foil who can mop up after them, I think Lindelof is better in that regard.

Against teams like who like long ball then they'll be a great pair, but the more continental teams or people who sit deep then Lindelof/Tuanzebe will be preferred purely for their better football ability.

Yergen

Signing Maguire will allow us to play Lindelof as a CB to the right which will let him use his ball playing skills even more. It will improve his performance and is a super uppgrade on our current alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.