Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Exactly. The window for the rest of Europe closes about 3 weeks after ours shuts, so plenty of time to sell those that are surplus to requirements. We need to concentrate on bringing the players in.

Woodward will have nowhere to hide if we don’t sign anybody else. The fans will destroy him if we start poorly.

I have a feeling he doesn't care, as long as he has the backing of the owners. It is frustrating we cannot sign 4 players in a window considering we only brought 2 in last summer.

I know people saying we have signed 2 and Ole in public is stating he is happy, surely he must be going to Ed and saying... you are meant to be backing me this summer... a RB is all you have given me and a raw talent.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The more I read about Maguire and his determination to join united to become a great, the more I want him at the club. He's gonna give his all out on the pitch to be a success and already has the attributes to be a fantastic defender. Hope this deal happens soon after Lukaku leaves.

Motorman

Is this happening or not?

I havent really kept abreast of this one.

Would like him though as immense in the air

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is this happening or not?

I havent really kept abreast of this one.

Would like him though as immense in the air
We offered £70m for him and they want £80m, we went after him last summer, had a woeful defence last year and are desperate for a CB while he wants to go and his agent is leaking all the stuff about him wanting to come and follow in Rio and Vidic's footsteps. Its gonna get done IMO, just a matter of time. You'd hope it doesnt take too long so we can still fix the midfield, but it's taken a while already.

Eric's Seagull

Im openly not a fan of woody or the glazers for that matter. But i respect woody for the success hes had as a banker and finance man at a top bank.

What baffles me is, in this instance, its bread and butter business. You could sort out the basics in a day.

Maguire is an intangible asset, the owner of which isn't under pressure to sell and doesn't want to sell. So the ball is totally in Leicesters court on their valuation. Really, we just need to say ‘how much do you want’ and if its miles apart from our valuation we move on or give them a figure that is our maximum bid to try and haggle them down. If they wont budge you move on.

If we are prepared to pay what they want we have to structure the payment arrangements and make the offer officially. If we cant agree on payment arrangements, its beyond our means, then again we move on. If we can agree we sign him.

Its no good trying to go back and forwards upping your offer by a small amount each time. Which seems to be what we are doing.

Thats not bad for Lozano but doubt we will go for him. The new contracts for Darmian and rojo were baffling. And yeah, fingers crossed we get a couple more done. That said I like the look of some of the youth players atm, just think it would be too much to expect them to play most games.
Good post. I myself dislike both the Glazers and Woody and have mentioned that multiples for the last year nearly.

I agree with your second point, Leicester hold all the cards so to speak as they don't want to sell and as they did pretty well last year they will want to build on that and you don't do that by selling your best players, so obviously your going ask top money for arguably your best player. We want to get this done soon, as I've read they want time to get a replacement in themselves which totally understandable.

I also agree with the second part in bold. They probably have a minimum fee they want to sell for and we have idea what we think he is worth. I think we should just pay what they want so that if it doesn't work we can move on but at this rate it seems there will be so much and forth that we will leave it to long to get in an alternative.
If we don't get Maguire I hope we don't take ages on trying to sign an alternative. Which will be disadvantageous as clubs will ask stupid fees as they know we are desperate and it is late in the window, if this does happen Woody only has himself to blame and can't use the excuse of there being no value in the market as he will have created this particular 'no value in the market' scenario regarding a centre-back by leaving it so late in the window.

Regarding the third point in bold I feel exactly the same I think Woody doesn't particularly want to pay out because he is banking on them coming good, which hopefully will work but I feel it would be too much to expect them to step-up and instantly produce decent performances regularly they need a bit of time to bed-in mate.

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

I agree, we are 3 weeks away before the transfer closes, CB and creative midfielder has to be the target? We cannot get rid of all experienced players.
agree on point in bold. Although I would like to get rid of a lot of players, we can't do it in one window as we would be desperately low on numbers. The deadwood needs to be pjased out preferably 2 going this summer, then see where we are next year and try to get another few out. It's a rebuilding process which is going to take several windows but I have faith in Ole to do it mate :devil:

Hughie77

we haven't though, the agreement was we wouldn't stand in his way if our valuation is met, he would have been told what that was, the reason this deal hasn't happened is simple, Manchester United have not met that valuation
I bet they have, but they just want more, hoping for City to go bigger? If there's a stalemate on a few million quid? £75 WITH add ons is not enough? They must be mad , a 19 yr old probably the best CB in Europe has just been bought for £10 million less!

Shame really a good player denied a move he wants. I think the offer will not be upped so he stays in a club who's basically screwed him in to another contract.

Castia

How serious are we about signing him? It was weeks ago since the bid reportedly went in.

It’s too quiet at United it feels like feck all is happening.

Hughie77

This transfer smells of a Brendan Rogers show, been out of the limelight a bit since he went to Scotland, he's mouthing alot now.
This deal is close to being done I think, so he's spouting a bit gets him in the press.

Don't leave him buy you players foxes fans hes awful, the best players hes had in English football were already at the clubs before he got there, ie Swansea, and Liverpool. And as for Swansea he just kept R Matinez ball rolling he started. Good luck with him anyway.

Allas8

I have a feeling he doesn't care, as long as he has the backing of the owners. It is frustrating we cannot sign 4 players in a window considering we only brought 2 in last summer.

I know people saying we have signed 2 and Ole in public is stating he is happy, surely he must be going to Ed and saying... you are meant to be backing me this summer... a RB is all you have given me and a raw talent.
James
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong
Garner
Tuanzebe

7 new player in our first team squad, Garner probably is going back to the U23 squad once season start, but that is still a lot of changes made over the summer. Next season Fred will also essentially function as a new signing considering he almost did not get played last season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
James
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong
Garner
Tuanzebe

7 new player in our first team squad, Garner probably is going back to the U23 squad once season start, but that is still a lot of changes made over the summer. Next season Fred will also essentially function as a new signing considering he almost did not get played last season.
:lol:

devilish

You think these players will not play for us once the season starts? Hope its not oftopic, but nothing is happening with the Maguire deal anyway.
I think relying on the championship player and a bunch of kids with no EPL experience whatsoever is mad. We will be facing bigger clubs then Perth

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
How serious are we about signing him? It was weeks ago since the bid reportedly went in.

It’s too quiet at United it feels like feck all is happening.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we are done for the Summer.

Allas8

I think relying on the championship player and a bunch of kids with no EPL experience whatsoever is mad. We will be facing bigger clubs then Perth
Luckily they are not our only players in the first team squad, just the new ones.

MassiveMorgan

I can’t see this happening- surely you sit around a table and hash things out? They don’t fax each other or send pigeons, so if a club as big as United aren’t offering enough for Leicester to sit down and discuss it, then I suggest it’s a bs bid to make it look like we have intent when really we are going nowhere

devilish

Luckily they are not our only players in the first team squad, just the new ones.
You're referring to the pool of largely shit players who got us to 6th place? Don't forget that Herrera has since gone, Lukaku wants to leave, Matic and Young are a year older etc

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Wouldn’t be surprised if we are done for the Summer.
I honestly hate posts like this :lol:

Do you really believe that? I just can’t see how anyone can’t see that this Maguire deal is a matter of time. It’s happening. As for other deals, they’ll happen as well.

I’m a huge critic of the way the club is run but there’s absolutely no way we are ‘done’ for the summer.

Cathy Ferguson

If we really want this guy and he is avaiable at 70 + 10m, or something along those lines, then what the feck is Woody waiting for? It will not get any easier the longer he waits. Leicester will want 80 + 15m in August, anyone can understand that the price can only go up.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
The more I read about Maguire and his determination to join united to become a great, the more I want him at the club. He's gonna give his all out on the pitch to be a success and already has the attributes to be a fantastic defender. Hope this deal happens soon after Lukaku leaves.
Agree, two different managers have chased him for two straight summers. feck the money just get it done. There is no other option and we desperately need a CB

Giggsyking

In the context of this season, the ambition of Leicester City, the current situation at Old Trafford and the untested waters of having Ole as full time manager, I think it’s quite fair to say we’re in direct competition with one another for the European places this season. For that reason alone we shouldn’t be selling Maguire to you.
No its not fair to say that. Since Ole took over united were the 3rd highest points collector. Leicester were 10th.

Allas8

You're referring to the pool of largely shit players who got us to 6th place? Don't forget that Herrera has since gone, Lukaku wants to leave, Matic and Young are a year older etc
Think Herrera has been replaced by Andreas Pereira (and the 4-2-3-1 system). Young and Matic is being phased out, and no one will miss Lukaku.

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Ronaldo had one with SAF, and he stuck to it, Ronaldo was under contract! It's up to the person or people who run clubs, SAF left Ronaldo go after Real came in, gave his word asked him to stay for 1 more season which he did, then left for Real.

It's up to the individuals if the Foxes want to go back on there word it's up to them, you got the right manager in as well to go back on his word Rogers can't believe what comes out of his mouth.

Bet they sack him in a season or so or he says best club I've been at the buggers off to another one. Guys got form . Good luck though.
They haven't though, if you meet our valuation and Harry wants to go then they will not stand in his way, pretty simple really.

As for BR I personally would rather have a manager with experience, I feel OGS will be out of his depth and one of the first EPL managers sacked, time will tell but it's all opinions eh?

Giggsyking

:devil:
It is disrespectful to his club and teammates to throw a tantrum if its true. I personally doubt it. I would not want such a player at my team despite me liking Maguire at united.

Jezpeza

James
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong
Garner
Tuanzebe

I know you seem to have got a bit of stick for this post but i agree to an extent. Well worth giving those bunch a go in the first team with europa and domestic cups. wed never have given rashford a chance without an injury crisis and he was able to make the step up. My hope for Fred is he does a bit of a Lindelof and has a better season 2.

Still think we need a readymade solution at CB RM and CM but would love to see these guys phase out Mata and Matic etc in coming seasons if they are good enough. Without the readymade players getting signed though i cant see us finishing top 4. But would rather watch is rebuild than go for Bale on loan on deadline day etc.

Bojan11

It is disrespectful to his club and teammates to throw a tantrum if its true. I personally doubt it. I would not want such a player at my team despite me liking Maguire at united.
Van Dijk threw a strop and I’m sure Liverpool fans loved him for it.

Fans moan when the player doesn’t put pressure on the club to tell them he wants out. Then they moan when he does.

He wants out and the fee we offering for him is more than reasonable. This isn’t Zaha case where we offering them pennies.

Motorman

We offered £70m for him and they want £80m, we went after him last summer, had a woeful defence last year and are desperate for a CB while he wants to go and his agent is leaking all the stuff about him wanting to come and follow in Rio and Vidic's footsteps. Its gonna get done IMO, just a matter of time. You'd hope it doesnt take too long so we can still fix the midfield, but it's taken a while already.
Thanks for the update :)

I still think we will get Bruno for CM but that also taking its time.

Would be nice to get them both in before preseason ends though!!

devilish

Think Herrera has been replaced by Andreas Pereira (and the 4-2-3-1 system). Young and Matic is being phased out, and no one will miss Lukaku.
Periera is nowhere near to Herrera and Mctominay is nowhere near to Matic. We are swiftly becoming a mid table club

Jordan_mufc

Could be a case of Leicester holding this deal up until they have found a suitable replacement.

They are in no rush to sell, thus can wait until they've secured another CB before letting Maguire go.

Jezpeza

Thanks for the update :)

I still think we will get Bruno for CM but that also taking its time.

Would be nice to get them both in before preseason ends though!!
Bruno would be an easier signing as Sporting are open to selling him

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
Top six will be the same as usual IMO. Leicester and Wolves fighting it out for 7th and 8th. And then the rest.

I have no issue with you boys playing hardball on Maguire. He’s your asset, under contract, and you are entitled to do that.

I don’t think he’s top class, but there’s a dearth of quality at CB in the league and he would improve us. Let’s see what happens.
Thank you, nice to see a balanced viewpoint. As for where we finish all I can say is I think we're assembling a fine young balanced team that is going to be very creative and attack minded.

I personally think Wolves will be impacted by Europa League participation.

If we see attractive never say die football I certainly wouldn't rule us out from being on the premises, time will tell.

bosnian_red

Periera is nowhere near to Herrera and Mctominay is nowhere near to Matic. We are swiftly becoming a mid table club
Matic has like 2-3 good months for United in his 2 seasons, wouldn't say theres much of a difference if at all between McTominay and what Matic actually showed. The midfield is definitely the weak point. Assuming we sign Maguire, I'm happy with the defence and attack as is for this season (happy to wait on Sancho if we need to), but the midfield needs a big signing. Mctominay can be a starter with Pogba but we really need the one all round midfielder IMO to complete it. Looks a big problem otherwise.

Allas8

Matic has like 2-3 good months for United in his 2 seasons, wouldn't say theres much of a difference if at all between McTominay and what Matic actually showed. The midfield is definitely the weak point. Assuming we sign Maguire, I'm happy with the defence and attack as is for this season (happy to wait on Sancho if we need to), but the midfield needs a big signing. Mctominay can be a starter with Pogba but we really need the one all round midfielder IMO to complete it. Looks a big problem otherwise.
I have to say, even I am surprised we have not signed a CM, when Solskjaer said we are working on 1 more signing, I assumed he was referring to Longstaff, not Maguire

Le Red

You think these players will not play for us once the season starts? Hope its not oftopic, but nothing is happening with the Maguire deal anyway.
There are one and a half starters in your list. Most of those players will be out of the squad more often than not.

devilish

We are 4 players short (CD, DM, AMC and RW). We might get away with an AMC but we certainly need to strengthen the rest.

George The Best

James
Wan-Bissaka
Greenwood
Gomes
Chong
Garner
Tuanzebe

Not sure Chong or Garner will make the EPL squad this season.

bosnian_red

We are 4 players short (CD, DM, AMC and RW). We might get away with an AMC but we certainly need to strengthen the rest.
We can get away without a RW or an attacking mid IMO. It's the dm/CM (one of the 2 depending on McTominays future) and the CB which we absolutely need.
We can put out 2 solid XIs with a good blend of experience, current ability and youth everywhere, but also need to cut a few players, provided we sign a top midfield and top CB. Assuming we sign Maguire and someone like Saul for example:
Gk - De Gea/Romero, Grant
Fullback - awb/dalot, shaw/young
Cb - Maguire/smalling, lindelof/tuanzebe, Jones
DM - McTominay/Matic
Cm - Saul/Fred
AM - Pogba/Pereira, Gomes
Wings - Martial/James, Mata/Lingard, Chong
St- Rashford/Greenwood/Sanchez

Surplus/likely to be sold - Lukaku, Darmian, Rojo, Bailly

Obviously a lot of these can play in multiple positions, but it's a decent group, especially keeping in mind that Ole does want to give a lot of the younger players a fair shot so they need their roles. You can argue we need 2 starting midfielders, but Ole wants McTominay to have a chance to make that his own. Fair enough. Same with striker/leftback/left wing.

Right wing we have options throughout between Mata/lingard as experienced players who are meh, to James/Chong/Greenwood who are young and getting roles in the first team. The plan might well be to get Sancho, but we're just waiting until he's ready to move. Giving youth the chance while we wait isn't an awful plan in that situation, especially when you have youth like Greenwood.

So yeah, while I'd understand in the win now scenario we would want all 4 addressed, realistically though we only actually need the one midfielder, be it a CM or defensive mid (or if Ole thinks Pogba is that all round CM and Mctominay is the future DM then an attacking mid, I just disagree with that blend), and then obviously a dominant ready made center back.

Status
Not open for further replies.