Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Smalling is grabby but he is a good defender. As for his technique it's not even that bad, he just lost confidence around 2016 and now tends to panic when under real pressure. Under SAF and LVG, Smalling was an unimpressive but solid overall defender.
I blame his veganism

Alemar

I actually think Jones is a better defender than Smalling he just can't be relied upon to stay fit.
Jones has an own goal in him almost to an extent of Wes Brown. Smalling has never scored so many own goals - whereas he actually did score some goals into the opposition net (although not many - on average 2-2.5 per season i guess)

UncleBob

I wouldn’t class it as bobbins. I’d say he has a mistake in him, like any other defender we have. Singling him out as the biggest issue is my problem, rojo, Jones and possibly even Bailly should be sold before him. I have no issues replacing our defenders but we cannot clearly do it in one window so they need to be prioritized
Every defender makes mistake, that's not the issue, the issue is that he's not an intelligent player. He struggles to spot runs into dangerous areas, which runs he should follow and what he should prioritize. Silly fouls (also penalties) when the player is moving away from goal and all Smalling has to do is stay on his feet.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Every defender makes mistake, that's not the issue, the issue is that he's not an intelligent player. He struggles to spot runs into dangerous areas, which runs he should follow and what he should prioritize. Silly fouls (also penalties) when the player is moving away from goal and all Smalling has to do is stay on his feet.
And I stand by what I said - there are others who need to be shipped out before him. Others with the same issues AND injury problems

Sparky Rhiwabon

I've always maintained that Chris "Mike" Smalling is like watching a lower league defender (maybe third tier) having the game of their life against a Premier League team in the Cup. That's not necessarily a bad thing - at least he's committed - but it is what it is, he's got that ceiling in terms of ability on the ball, distribution, etc

UncleBob

And I stand by what I said - there are others who need to be shipped out before him. Others with the same issues AND injury problems
Which is fine, but that doesn't make him all that good either, which is the point.

If we sign Maguire we should play Lindelof next to him.

Infestissumam

so that's the second time within a week or so that Harry Maguire has become the most expensive defender in history and people have lost their marbles because of an outrageous fee. Poor Harry has probably undergone multiple medicals too, yet he's still sitting in Leicester's training camp. Wonder why?

if people would at least learn their lesson and didn't believe every shite "source" in the future, but I doubt it.

Nick7

Baillys biggest problem is that there is an accident waiting to happen in every game. People complain about Jones but Bailly is worse because of the way he dives into situations. 4 times out of 5 he survives - the last the opposition get a goalscoring opportunity. Having said that - the potential is HUGE. In terms of physique, pace and tackling - he is probably top-3 in the Premier League. It's just that it isn't enough
Physically he's fine. Mentally, he has absolutely no brain. You can't be a centre back without thinking and Bailly never thinks, he reacts.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Koscielny :lol:
I should have made it clearer that I wouldn't advocate only signing Koscielny. :lol:

But having Alderweireld and Lindelof as your main pairing with Koscielny ready to fill in for Europa League games would hardly be the worst thing.

red4ever 79

CB's should be shipped out in this order
Rojo - I mean what's the point
Jones - Cannot stay fit has an error in him
Bailly - Looks nervous, has regressed, become more and more injury prone
Smalling - Has errors in him, but can be generally reliable in terms of fitness

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When We signed Smalling what did We see? A young, quick, strong, no nonsense defender that looked like to be the future of England. He played mostly at RB for the first year and did good so He had nice feet as well.

Enter Jones. He became the right back replacing Smalling, the new Duncan Edwards. From that point on, Smalling started to lose his footing more frequently, his defending was slowly becoming nonsense defending, his hair grew curlier and He appeared less in interviews.

Now apply that to McGuire. If We're about to sign him, What do We see? A commanding, ball playing CB with proper footing that would put Chris Smalling to shame? Ok.

First day in training, enter Jones.

golden_blunder

Staff
When We signed Smalling what did We see? A young, quick, strong, no nonsense defender that looked like to be the future of England. He played mostly at RB for the first year and did good so He had nice feet as well.

Enter Jones. He became the right back replacing Smalling, the new Duncan Edwards. From that point on, Smalling started to lose his footing, his defending was slowly becoming nonsense defending, his hair grew curlier and He appeared less in interviews.

Now apply that to McGuire. If We're about to sign him, What do We see? A commanding, ball playing CB with proper footing that would put Chris Smalling to shame? Ok.

Maguire. MAGUIRE. To the letter son. THE LETTER!

R'hllor

Imagine someone post a rumour about Mcguire joining Atletico Bilbao, oh boi, that poor soul would have his ear full.

stevoc

I don't understand how anyone can call Smalling a good defender after his performance at Chelsea in Mourinho's first season at United. I mean, Kante danced around him like he was Lionel Messi. It's still the most embarrassing performance I've seen from a centre-back.

Smalling is good in the air -- that's all. Any defending that requires the use of his feet is embarrassing because his feet are cinder blocks.
Every defender even world class ones like Stam and Vidic have shockers, so it's no surprise that a player of Smallings level can have them too. That was one game and he wasn't alone that day in being awful.

Do you judge every player solely on one performance or just Smalling?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't understand how anyone can call Smalling a good defender after his performance at Chelsea in Mourinho's first season at United. I mean, Kante danced around him like he was Lionel Messi. It's still the most embarrassing performance I've seen from a centre-back.
The fact that this is the game that everyone brings up when criticising Smalling says it all. He shouldn't have even been playing that game because he had broken his toe in a couple of spots (kind of a big deal for a football player) the previous match, but Mourinho had been pressuring him to play through it. He had to take almost two months off after that match to actually let it heal. That performance was all on Mourinho making such a stupid decision.

stevoc

I've really tried to work out why United would be willing to make Harry Maguire their statement signing of the summer and I still can't see how this really makes sense in the long-term. If you already had your centre-back pairing sorted and you were signing Maguire as a ready-made option who could reliably fill in at a moment's notice, I'd totally get it. I wasn't exactly keen on us signing him a few weeks ago but I could see what Pep was thinking - "Stones is injured? No worries, we can put Maguire in for a couple of games!" But as the guy United are going to spend half their summer budget on, and as the guy tasked with being the catalyst for you to become a regular top four side again, and as the guy who'll regularly lead you to trophies? Harry Maguire's the guy you're putting this on?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid centre-half, but right now you could potentially get Alderweireld and Koscielny for half roughly half the price and achieve just as much over the next two/three seasons with either of them next to Lindelof. Sure, you'd have to change things around again in 2022 but I have a feeling you'll be doing that - or similar - with Maguire anyway. And much like the situations you've gotten yourselves into with Sanchez, Lukaku, and Pogba, the wages you're surely going to give him will make it impossible to send him anywhere else if things don't quite work out. I think he's better than what you've currently got but not by the margins required to become a top side again.
:lol:

Come on mate you need to put more effort in than that.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, Jones is a good player but he can't stay fit, if he guaranteed +30 league starts, we wouldn't be talking about purchasing a CB.
I don't buy this. He isn't good at all, his positioning is really bad, he panics, and he has a mistake on him.

Smalling and Lindelof are much better. Him and Rojo should have been sold years ago.

golden_blunder

Staff
The fact that this is the game that everyone brings up when criticising Smalling says it all. He shouldn't have even been playing that game because he had broken his toe in a couple of spots (kind of a big deal for a football player) the previous match, but Mourinho had been pressuring him to play through it. He had to take almost two months off after that match to actually let it heal. That performance was all on Mourinho making such a stupid decision.
Don’t let fact and logic get in the way there. This is the Chris smalling bashing thread!
Wait, it’s not?!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Maguire has been having his medical for a week now!

Eric's Seagull

We can only assume that either they don't want to sell or he doesn't want to come said:
there is no reason to not sign Diop instead of Maguire, esp. for 20-30M less, if we could sign him.[/B]
I think they may not want to sell one of their bettter players, I hope it's not that he doesn't want to come. I agree with your part in bold as I think he is a really good very big guy at 1.93m and 93kg, strong in the tackle and able to handle the toughest strikers, wins a lot of aerial duels and is good at interceptions. Think there is a reason Jose praised him "a monster" after they beat us last year.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Enter Jones. He became the right back replacing Smalling, the new Duncan Edwards. From that point on, Smalling started to lose his footing more frequently, his defending was slowly becoming nonsense defending, his hair grew curlier and He appeared less in interviews.

*MacGuaryrere akshully

romufc

I think they may not want to sell one of their bettter players, I hope it's not that he doesn't want to come. I agree with your part in bold as I think he is a really good very big guy at 1.93m and 93kg, strong in the tackle and able to handle the toughest strikers, wins a lot of aerial duels and is good at interceptions. Think there is a reason Jose praised him "a monster" after they beat us last year.
What makes you think it would be easy to sign Diop this late in the transfer window? How is he any better than who we have?

No one before the transfer window opened had Diop as a target, and he has had one season with West Ham where they leaked goals as well.

I would rather go into the season with Tuanzebe and Smalling alongside Lindelof than signing Diop. there is no logic to it at all.

Ban

McGuiver, Mcguire and the rest is our brand new Atletico Athletic case.

HE DOESN'T HAVE MC IN HIS SURNAME FFS!

Kag

I've really tried to work out why United would be willing to make Harry Maguire their statement signing of the summer and I still can't see how this really makes sense in the long-term. If you already had your centre-back pairing sorted and you were signing Maguire as a ready-made option who could reliably fill in at a moment's notice, I'd totally get it. I wasn't exactly keen on us signing him a few weeks ago but I could see what Pep was thinking - "Stones is injured? No worries, we can put Maguire in for a couple of games!" But as the guy United are going to spend half their summer budget on, and as the guy tasked with being the catalyst for you to become a regular top four side again, and as the guy who'll regularly lead you to trophies? Harry Maguire's the guy you're putting this on?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid centre-half, but right now you could potentially get Alderweireld and Koscielny for half roughly half the price and achieve just as much over the next two/three seasons with either of them next to Lindelof. Sure, you'd have to change things around again in 2022 but I have a feeling you'll be doing that - or similar - with Maguire anyway. And much like the situations you've gotten yourselves into with Sanchez, Lukaku, and Pogba, the wages you're surely going to give him will make it impossible to send him anywhere else if things don't quite work out. I think he's better than what you've currently got but not by the margins required to become a top side again.
So the answer to ensuring we don’t find ourselves in a Sanchez-style situation (an ageing player who has had injuries and will demand huge wages) is to buy somebody like Toby Alderweireld?

United don’t need statements signings. We need a centre half that can head the ball and play out from the back. Given availability, it seems Maguire is the best option we have - hence the interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.