Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchred

If better defender means sitting in our box and clearing crosses like your typical Burnley side I agree he's our best defender. And if we start playing like that Smalling will be back in no time.

If defending means playing far away from our goal and not actually doing much defending because attack is the best form of the defence he won't be required.

It depends which way the manager intends to play.
Has Maguire shown that he van do this? I haven't seen it. For the price Leicester are asking we might just be getting Smalling mark 2

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Leicester play their next pre-season game tomorrow night, guess we'll know then whether or not this latest agreement was as factual as the last...

Canagel

Has Maguire shown that he van do this? I haven't seen it. For the price Leicester are asking we might just be getting Smalling mark 2
Well he can at least switch the ball from one side to the other side . When Smalling tries it he kicks it out of play. If you have able defenders on the ball you'll be able to keep pressure on your opponents and attack better. Nobody knows 100% what's going to happen but he will be an upgrade on Smalling if we want to be a progressive team, that's all I know.

Fer

If you could sign just one player from Leicester, would you prefer Maguire over Ndidi or Maddison?

redMundo

If you could sign just one player from Leicester, would you prefer Maguire over Ndidi or Maddison?
100%
Maddison is a muppet,
Ndidi is good at what he does but I feel there are more options out there who could do that job.
Maguire is more of a unique player, not many CBs about with his skill set who are attainable.

Ekeke

If better defender means sitting in our box and clearing crosses like your typical Burnley side I agree he's our best defender. And if we start playing like that Smalling will be back in no time.

If defending means playing far away from our goal and not actually doing much defending because attack is the best form of the defence he won't be required.

How do you explain this if all he does is clear crosses?

This is from the season before last, where Smalling (like Bailly) made the joint 4th most interceptions from CBs. Interceptions come from proactive defending, taking the ball off the toe of an attacker wanted the ball to feet for example. Its not a clearance. He wasnt as good last season and wasnt as proactive, but this does show that at his best he does a lot more than just clear the ball out of the box. He also stops the ball getting to the box.

dutchred

Well he can at least switch the ball from one side to the other side . When Smalling tries it he kicks it out of play. If you have able defenders on the ball you'll be able to keep pressure on your opponents and attack better. Nobody knows 100% what's going to happen but he will be an upgrade on Smalling if we want to be a progressive team, that's all I know.
But Axel can do this and did it successfully at Villa last season

Andersons Dietician

You must have blacked out when LVG was here if you can’t recall how good Smalling was in a high line and practically unbeatable in a 1 on 1 and just sweeping everything up as well as reading what Blind could and couldn’t handle and helping babysit him physically.

I’m more worried about how poor our midfield has been in previous years to create actual passing options for our back 4 as the midfield has been shocking. No improvement on that and you could bring in Pique and Puyol and they would struggle to move the ball forward.

Infestissumam

yes because we need him the most. It's close with Ndidi though. Maddison is a fine prospect but we rarely play with a 10 these days.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If the player is young and has just joined from a less difficult and physically demanding league, like Lindelof, then I don't judge him based on one game. But if a player is supposedly at his peak and he plays like a total clown, then, yes, I think it's fair to judge. And it's not like Smalling was Maldini before or after the Chelsea debacle, so you can't say his Chelsea performance was an outlier.
I love how you completely ignore my post where I informed you that he was playing with a toe that was broken in multiple places, an injury that took almost two months to heal after that match. But I'm sure that it's pure coincidence that by far the worst performance of his career, the match that you and others always point to when you want to criticise him, just so happened to be the one where the manager asked him to play through an injury that he certainly shouldn't have been expected to play on. Pure coincidence right?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Smalling has always been at his best when he's defending aggressively around the half way line. Not sure why some make out that he's a penalty box defender. He's still better defensively than any of our other options in that area, but he's better further up the field.

Of course he adds very little when we have the ball, but he's the best we have at winning the ball back in the first place.

spaceboyRSA

You don't slam windows, you slam doors. As any fool, apart from Talkshite presenters, knows.
I dunno. My wife slammed the window next to the front door shut on me the other day, when she locked me out. I can't really remember why, I think it may have had something to do with not paying attention. Or maybe not.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Without checking, we probably scored more goals in those seasons as an average than last season.
League goals scored;
Fergies last season scored 86
Moyes came in, scored 64
LVG in, scored 62
LVG 2nd season scored 49
Jose in, season scored 54
Jose 2nd season scored 68
Jose 3rd season/ole took over scored 65 (if memory serves me right Oles team scored 4
Goals in a match for the first time since Fergie)

Contrasting styles. Defensive not for me

Yagami

Good post resistant
But Axel can do this and did it successfully at Villa last season
He was alright at it, but Mings was the star of that defence. He looked like Ramos last year, so I'd personally want a more proven CB right now instead of relying on Tuanzebe.

If we go the route of relying on one of our young CBs to come good, we risk the same thing that happened in the early 2000s after selling Stam and relying on Brown (who I loved) to come good with our defence suffering from it instead of bringing in a top class CB.
League goals scored;
Fergies last season scored 86
Moyes came in, scored 64
LVG in, scored 62
LVG 2nd season scored 49
Jose in, season scored 54
Jose 2nd season scored 68
Jose 3rd season/ole took over scored 65 (if memory serves me right Oles team scored 4
Goals in a match for the first time since Fergie)

Contrasting styles. Defensive not for me
It was 5, boss. Though we did score 5 under LvG against Midgetland in the Europa, too. The one with Rashford's debut where he scored twice, and Memphis looked like the second coming of Ronaldinho.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Jones is a weaker link than Smalling. Smalling has his limitations, I recall Moura blazing past him and firing in. But vs traditional English style CFs he is great in those physical battles.

His weakness is with the ball at his feet under a press. But not all teams adopt a high press approach. Mostly Pool with the gegenpress and Spurs. City can also put in a high press depending on game state and Pep's approach.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So yesterday’s “breaking news” was bullshit again then? Two fecking Sunday’s running I’ve told my United supporting father in law that Maguire is in the bag :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He was alright at it, but Mings was the star of that defence. He looked like Ramos last year, so I'd personally want a more proven CB right now instead of relying on Tuanzebe.

If we go the route of relying on one of our young CBs to come good, we risk the same thing that happened in the early 2000s after selling Stam and relying on Brown (who I loved) to come good with our defence suffering from it instead of bringing in a top class CB.

It was 5, boss. Though we did score 5 under LvG against Midgetland in the Europa, too. The one with Rashford's debut where he scored twice, and Memphis looked like the second coming of Ronaldinho.
5, fair play.

I was looking at league only for the other stats

lysglimt

Scout
So yesterday’s “breaking news” was bullshit again then? Two fecking Sunday’s running I’ve told my United supporting father in law that Maguire is in the bag :lol:
yes, not everything on the internet is true! :)

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Just to pull us back on topic .....

Does anyone have any idea what’s happening?!?

Zoo

I guess we won’t hear anything until the team returns from Shanghai.

SATA

There's a theory floating around that Ed doesn't want to announce a transfer until the club is done with the pre-season tour as it may take off the spotlight of everyone involved, could well be with the sponsors involved too. So a deal with Maguire may already be done but United are keeping mum about it until the club gets back to the UK. I'm not sure how true or logical this is but we will soon find out after the Spurs game on the 25th wheh the team flies back from China

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
There's a theory floating around that Ed doesn't want to announce a transfer until the club is done with the pre-season tour as it may take off the spotlight of everyone involved, could well be with the sponsors involved too. So a deal with Maguire may already be done but United are keeping mum about it until the club gets back to the UK. I'm not sure how true or logical this is but we will soon find out after the Spurs game on the 25th wheh the team flies back from China
Surely it would generate more interest?!? If they smash the transfer record for a defender?

Trophy Room

Ed sure has many excuses. :lol:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Pretty sure that makes 0 sense!

Smores

I don't know mate. It's not from Ed himself but a theory/opinion which to be fair isn't really absurd if you think about it. Has the club ever announced a transfer while being on tour? I can't really remember
No ones going to care about our preseason tour if we sign a CB? You'll have to explain that one to me

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
When the thread title updates are more interesting than the actual transfer saga..

nainaisson

I love how you completely ignore my post where I informed you that he was playing with a toe that was broken in multiple places, an injury that took almost two months to heal after that match. But I'm sure that it's pure coincidence that by far the worst performance of his career, the match that you and others always point to when you want to criticise him, just so happened to be the one where the manager asked him to play through an injury that he certainly shouldn't have been expected to play on. Pure coincidence right?
"I was crap because I'm injured" is the oldest excuse in the book, so I never really bought it. Sorry.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's a pretty stupid theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.