Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
Well in this market the most soughed defender in this world, that is De ligt, cost around 67m. Sure whatever Leicester priced Maguire at is the new reality? Unfortunately no one else is interest in Maguire at that price, except some desperate/mental fans who doesn't care how much the club pay for.
City are interested. Is Pep mental, or do you only think that Ole is mental?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
City are interested. Is Pep mental, or do you only think that Ole is mental?
Are you sure City is still interest at that price? Last time I heard Leicester has already priced him out of the market, and City is out of it.

And did we bid Leicester asking pice at around 85-90m?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are you sure City is still interest at that price? Last time I heard Leicester has already priced him out of the market, and City is out of it.
Maybe we need Pep to make a higher bid, before we suddenly come bounding back in!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
There's 13 days left of the window - we either get done in next few days or move on.

do I think Maguire's worth £80m? No (though it's all relative - "value" and "worth" are different things).

do I think he'd make a good difference to our chance of top.4? Yes. Definite step up on what we've got and I think we'd improve more than by his individual ability and he'd tie the defence together better.

after missing out on top.4, am I arsed if we maybe pay £10m over our aimed for price? Not at all... I don't think it automatically damages any other transfer negotiations (and there's probably only one more max this window anyway)

£10m vs higher chance of missing out on top.4/CL again? Feck it, pay it

Uniquim

I'd rather spend 80m on Maguire than not getting a CB before the window closes. Whether it's Maguire or someone else, something needs to happen soon.

George The Best

I think we will end up with Maguire and Longstaff, by overpaying, and sell Lukaku for probably less than we want. It’s the new norm for us.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I think we will end up with Maguire and Longstaff, by overpaying, and sell Lukaku for probably less than we want. It’s the new norm for us.
Defo won't get Longstaff unless Ashley needs to cash in because of the trouble he's having with House of Frazer.

I do think Lukaku will be sold, it's all pointing to him being leaving after being left out of all the friendlies, but I can't see Inter meeting the asking price. Then again we can still sell him after the window closes, do we need a replacement for him at all? We have martial rashford greenwood and Sanchez.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Or lower ticket prices. I'm not so sure that galactic signings is the way to go, not quite implying that Maguire is remotely a Galactica signing, although the price would suggest so. Talking finance, do you think his marketability is close to justify the 80m price tag?
I have no idea what his true worth is to be honest with you. There are so many factors to consider when you are evaluating a modern-day professional footballer, most of which are unobtainable for the likes of me or beyond my understanding. But who does know?

Someone from the media claimed his worth to be in the region of £50 million, but how do we know for sure that that evaluation is correct? Leicester is insisting his market value is £80 million, and Woodward has already had a £70 million offer refused. Maybe the media guy was incorrect in his estimation after all.

I only know that I rate Maguire highly as a central defender (top 6 in the PL) and since we are in desperate need of quality in that area, it stands to reason that we will pay whatever is necessary to land him.

George The Best

Defo won't get Longstaff unless Ashley needs to cash in because of the trouble he's having with House of Frazer.

I do think Lukaku will be sold, it's all pointing to him being leaving after being left out of all the friendlies, but I can't see Inter meeting the asking price. Then again we can still sell him after the window closes, do we need a replacement for him at all? We have martial rashford greenwood and Sanchez.
Don’t think we need to replace Lukaku right now, probably not time in the window anyway. We are likely to pay silly money for Longstaff so that Bruce can bring in a couple of players with the money, unless we throw in a loan with the deal.

From all that has been happening it appears to me, and could be totally wrong, that Ole wants to dramatically reduce the goals against performance of last season. CB and DM are the obvious weaknesses. Plus I think we may have a few more goals in the side with Greenwood, a re-motivated Martial, Gomes and James.

Maguire and Longstaff are the only ones we have been strongly linked with to plug the holes. Just think we will go balls out for those two and quit for this window.

lex talionis

The concept of "worth" is not objectively ascertained and can only be validated in hindsight.

We can only think about worth in the context of current market conditions and what we believe the total investment into the player over the life of that player's contract and what we believe his contribution will mean to United on the pitch and commercially.

I'm going to make up some numbers, so bear with me.

Say we pay a transfer fee of 80m and spend say 10m annually on his wages over 5 years. So, 130m over 5 years (let's forget about prospective resale potential) for an annual cost to the club of 26m per year.

But if instead get Maguire for 50 and assume the same 10m annual wages, we're really only shaving off 6m in total annual cost over each of those 5 years.

Sure, one always wants to save 6m if it's possible. But if the alternative to Maguire is Smalling or Jones, assuming we don't sell either one to partially offset the cost of Maguire, I'll go with Maguire, thank you very much. If we lose out on Maguire because a club which can bank on 600m in revenue isn't willing to spend the extra 6m over each of 5 years in the net additional cost it would have taken to address a critical need, we're out of our fecking minds.

Eat the cost. If there's a better central defender for the same amount of total outlay (transfer and wages), such as Khoulibaly, then let's do it. If there isn't, let's get on with it now so that Harry is fully integrated and ready to start for two tricky early season fixtures.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Would you care if the club shell out 200m on Maguire then? Sure its hypothetical, but would you?
No offense intended but it's a silly question. There is no way on earth that anyone is going to pay £200 million for Maguire.

If they did, they would need their heads checked. Thoroughly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd rather spend 80m on Maguire than not getting a CB before the window closes. Whether it's Maguire or someone else, something needs to happen soon.
If, and it's a huge If, that Maguire fits in and plays well, then you'd hope that's centre back tied up for a long time.

Keep buying the prospect types, and like we've found, you only end up having to upgrade anyway.

George The Best

If, and it's a huge If, that Maguire fits in and plays well, then you'd hope that's centre back tied up for a long time.

Keep buying the prospect types, and like we've found, you only end up having to upgrade anyway.
AWB was a brilliant bit of business for us this window. We need to be finding more of them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fark sake, it's like this is a never ending cycle.

It's super obvious - you pay too much, or get too little for those you sell, and you deplete the pot.

Not having unlimited funds it very obviously limits future buys.

We're Manchester United for goodness sake, huge turnover, super rich etc, and we're already massively struggling to buy players due to hyper inflation.
No, there are limits to what a club can spend in the transfer market thanks to FFP restrictions. But £20-30 million isn't going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Not being funny but a United fan complaining about inflation is laughable. Our club has impacted transfer market inflation as much as any other across the globe if not more so. We're well know for shattering transfer records to get our man.

George The Best

No, there are limits to what a club can spend in the transfer market thanks to FFP restrictions. But £20-30 million isn't going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Not being funny but a United fan complaining about inflation is laughable. Our club has impacted transfer market inflation as much as any other across the globe if not more so. We're well know for shattering transfer records to get our man.
We are nowhere near FFP limits. We can pretty much spend what we want, as we have done in the recent past. We’ve just spent it very poorly.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Inflation is one thing, but super inflation, to a level like this, almost makes our money irrelevant

It's no surprise Woodward has stopped talking about doing things other clubs dream of. He's got it - these days all English teams are hugely loaded.

Rossa

I have no idea what his true worth is to be honest with you. There are so many factors to consider when you are evaluating a modern-day professional footballer, most of which are unobtainable for the likes of me or beyond my understanding. But who does know?

Someone from the media claimed his worth to be in the region of £50 million, but how do we know for sure that that evaluation is correct? Leicester is insisting his market value is £80 million, and Woodward has already had a £70 million offer refused. Maybe the media guy was incorrect in his estimation after all.

I only know that I rate Maguire highly as a central defender (top 6 in the PL) and since we are in desperate need of quality in that area, it stands to reason that we will pay whatever is necessary to land him.
Difference is then, I don't rate him highly. I find him too error prone and a little slow and lacking agility. Great in the air and decent passing though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
AWB was a brilliant bit of business for us this window. We need to be finding more of them.
Let's see him play a competitive game first eh? Let's not get carried away too early.
Luke Shaw was a similar scenario 5 or 6 years back, and he's still got the jury largely out on him now.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Let's see him play a competitive game first eh? Let's not get carried away too early.
Luke Shaw was a similar scenario 5 or 6 years back, and he's still got the jury largely out on him now.
His weight problems don't help him much.

I'd love to get the pre-injury Luke Shaw back at some point. He was on another level that season.

George The Best

Not going to open a new thread on this unless Fridge Chutney wants to. Slightly related to the Maguire saga.

Really surprised that nobody, so far, has come in for Adam Webster of Bristol City. Guesstimate price around £25m, could be cheaper. Seen a fair bit of this guy due to family connections who are now Bristol City supporters. Age 24, 6ft 3, commanding CB and good on the ball. Doubt we’d go for him but he would be ideal at a lower level PL club and may well step on up from that eventually. One to keep an eye on imo.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

"trouble".... that's an understatement? :)

Enigma_87

You know who

Agreed. He is obviously more expensive than 50m. Don't know where that valuation comes from considering the current market. 80-85m is what Leicester should be holding on for and I can see them no problem getting at the end of the window when buying clubs become desperate.

Leicester don't need to sell as well.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
I'm sure the difficulty of this deal is linked to Mahrez's last summer.

We ended up honouring Mahrez's insistence to leave by accepting a below market bid for him from Manchester City, which they've been crowing about in media briefings to no end since.

It's been by far our highest profile sale to date so clubs like yourselves think we are a soft touch and then we are determined not to be seen as a soft touch anymore.

roseguy64

With how complex some transfers can be nowadays, I'm really surprised player + cash deals don't happen far more regularly than they do. If I was Leicester I'd have no hesitation in taking £60m + Jones for Maguire.
Because the player to be exchanged has to agree to the move.

Adamsk7

I'm sure the difficulty of this deal is linked to Mahrez's last summer.

We ended up honouring Mahrez's insistence to leave by accepting a below market bid for him from Manchester City, which they've been crowing about in media briefings to no end since.

It's been by far our highest profile sale to date so clubs like yourselves think we are a soft touch and then we are determined not to be seen as a soft touch anymore.
i don’t think £70m is us seeing you as a soft touch. That’s a perfectly acceptable opening bid.

stevoc

The ones that seem to be super confident that they'll definitely be gate crashing the top 6 party too intrigue me.

They've signed a fairly average Newcastle miscellaneous sort of forward, and could yet lose their best defender (Oh sorry, that's Evans according to them), yet act like they're the re-incarnation of Blackburn under Walker.
I've no problem with them having high hopes for their team next season, thats normal for a lot of football fans nothing wrong with that. But it is a bit strange how some of them continually waffle on about their ambition as if it's somehow unique or special to Leicester. Every club in the league is ambitious and wants to improve upon their finish from the season before, every single club.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
i don’t think £70m is us seeing you as a soft touch. That’s a perfectly acceptable opening bid.
No but Manchester City crowed about the fact that they waited us out for £60m having initially been told to pay £90m. Woodward will be thinking he can wait us out too, not realising Mahrez was an extremely unique circumstance.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
This thread just keeps going in circles, no doubt some attention starved Twitter ITK troll will declare “deal done” for the 3rd Sunday in a row

lsd

The Oracle
No but Manchester City crowed about the fact that they waited us out for £60m having initially been told to pay £90m. Woodward will be thinking he can wait us out too, not realising Mahrez was an extremely unique circumstance.

I'm sure Ed is thinking he's been asked to spend over 100 million on Roja, Lindelof and Bailly then he's been asked to give new contracts to Jones ,Smalling and Tuanzebe. All players who are still at the club .

No wonder he is thinking why on earth would I spend another 80 million now on another centre back when no other club has spent this amount ?

Reincarnated

Can we please get this one over the line at least Ed. This way our defence can concede less and we can be in more games...give the supporters something to look forward to.

Hawks2008

Who's the plan B if this doesn't happen? The longer this goes on the less likely Leicester will be willing to sell. He isn't the only CB who can improve us.

forevrared

Can’t wait til Ed gets in his head that he can get Ramos or Verane as part of a Pogba deal and pulls the plug on Maguire, then decides to keep Pogba.

Seriously, what the feck is the hold up if we’ve known all along he’s the one we want? This deal should have been done months ago.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No offense intended but it's a silly question. There is no way on earth that anyone is going to pay £200 million for Maguire.

If they did, they would need their heads checked. Thoroughly.
As I've said, its hypothetical. Don't dodge the question, you've clearly stated that you don't understand why fans care how much the club shell out for the player.

So if clubs shall out 200m, if the fans care about it, do you still hold your stances? Again, let me emphasis again, this is purely hypothetical scenario. Don't dodge it, just a simple yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.