g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire

gibers

Was going to bump this thread.

Absolutely terrific on the ball.

We've got Lindelof now, but in hindsight, Maguire would have been a fantastic buy to be our 'ball playing' centre back.
Wouldn't be surprised if City go for him.

MadMike

It's kindof unfair to be talking about Lindelof here perhaps, but in my humble opinion Maguire is a player of superior quality and potential compared to him. Already looks like a mint CB. Strong, excellent in the air (which we're lacking bar Smalling), fantastic on the ball, very agile too.

Leicester got themselves an absolute bargain. He will move on in a year or two for 50 odd million, I reckon.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Maguire is a more accomplished player than Lindelof, and I really like Lindelof.

But Maguire would be playing every game for us, in a 2 or a 3, and would be improving us.
How?

This is Lindelof's first season in a completely new league. Plus, he comes with an added European/CL experience, which Maguire still doesn't have. Maguire has already spent 3-4 seasons in the PL and knows the league inside-out, which is completely different from Lindelof's case.

Bojan11

How?

This is Lindelof's first season in a completely new league. Plus, he comes with an added European/CL experience, which Maguire still doesn't have. Maguire has already spent 3-4 seasons in the PL and knows the league inside-out, which is completely different from Lindelof's case.
He only spent one season in the prem before this season.

Wayne's World

Granted I haven't seen him much but he looks like a good old fashioned centre back. A dying breed in today's game

Reminds me of Jones quite a bit at Blackburn

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
This. They will be looking to replace Kompany.
Kompany looked absolutely clueless in possession against United, surprised to see how far he's fallen in that regard.

Obviously that's key to how City play now, not to mention his injury issues. I would expect them to probably target somebody a bit more high-profile and proven than Maguire though, just 'cos it's City and they have the money too.

Maguire probably won't come cheap anyway, Leicester have more money than West Brom who wanted what £30m for Jonny Evans? Maguire is much younger too. It might be that City look at the value there and think they might as well spend an extra £20/25m and try and tempt a possibly unhappy Alderweireld or something?

If not, there are some decent defenders who might hit the free agent market in the summer if they want cheap depth instead (Chiellini, Miranda, De Vrij).

Walters_19_MuFc

Kompany looked absolutely clueless in possession against United, surprised to see how far he's fallen in that regard.

Obviously that's key to how City play now, not to mention his injury issues. I would expect them to probably target somebody a bit more high-profile and proven than Maguire though, just 'cos it's City and they have the money too.

Maguire probably won't come cheap anyway, Leicester have more money than West Brom who wanted what £30m for Jonny Evans? Maguire is much younger too. It might be that City look at the value there and think they might as well spend an extra £20/25m and try and tempt a possibly unhappy Alderweireld or something?

If not, there are some decent defenders who might hit the free agent market in the summer if they want cheap depth instead (Chiellini, Miranda, De Vrij).
City wanted Evans too and I wouldnt really class him as high profile.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Because he is so big and looks awkward I keep thinking he might not be all that

But he deserves the plaudits....still not 100% convinced though as he is big and awkward

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The 'race' between him and Yaya late in that match was a thing of beauty.

Swift Football

It's kindof unfair to be talking about Lindelof here perhaps, but in my humble opinion Maguire is a player of superior quality and potential compared to him. Already looks like a mint CB. Strong, excellent in the air (which we're lacking bar Smalling), fantastic on the ball, very agile too.

Leicester got themselves an absolute bargain. He will move on in a year or two for 50 odd million, I reckon.
I agree. Maguire looks like very good defender, imposing in air and wuite agile for such a big lad. Its easier to say so in hindsight but I preferred Maguire over Lindelof. I think Jose was planning for Back 3 and wanted a CB who can play from back, but it has not gone exactly as planned.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ever since Giroud put him on the floor I've been sceptical.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017

Was agreeing with you until I saw the “agile” comment. Seems to be his only weakness to me, seems to get turned easily by tricky attackers. Fast once he gets going though.

Classical Mechanic

Possibly a sore subject but surely he will be a top 6 player before long. Will probably end up at Liverpool when they fail to land VVD. 2 goals and 4 assists this season, not bad for a CB. Looks a genuine goal threat every time I watch him play, scoring and creating.

Claude Cat

Supports
Liverpool
Probably be like 1/5 of Van Dijk's price too, I'd have him for sure.

Jaybomb

He’s a good player but I think Leicester, Everton and the like is his level. Nothing wrong with that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd love him at United.

There's something ominous about him...like you just know he's gonna have a huge career. Does anyone else think so?

He's huge, but he's good on the ball and his positional sense (both ends of the pitch) is really, really good.

I wouldn't want to see him at City, put it that way.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Probably be like 1/5 of Van Dijk's price too, I'd have him for sure.
why do you lot keep thinking its 25 years ago and the big boys can bully teams like us, we are as rich as Liverpool, he signed a 4 year contract, you think we are going to accept £10m and make a loss on him? wtf are you smoking?

btw he's already chose us over Spurs

AlwaysRed66

Possibly, one of the best signings in the summer All present for Leicester this season & one of their best players.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Leicester are a good side and he is good for them but, the top sides are going to want a CB that is a little more agile and better on the ball.

dichinero

I'd love him at United.

There's something ominous about him...like you just know he's gonna have a huge career. Does anyone else think so?

He's huge, but he's good on the ball and his positional sense (both ends of the pitch) is really, really good.

I don't know how good he might get but easily my best CB in the league. I thought he was a flash in the pan at Hull but he has really stepped up. And dare I say, he has got good feet for a big guy.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Leicester are a good side and he is good for them but, the top sides are going to want a CB that is a little more agile and better on the ball.
I suggest you actually pay attention next time you watch him he is brilliant on the ball, after the LC game vs City Pep was noticeably all over Maguire

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I suggest you actually pay attention next time you watch him he is brilliant on the ball, after the LC game vs City Pep was noticeably all over Maguire
He is better than you would expect but, I would not say brilliant I would not put him on the level of Spurs' CBs.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
He is very good indeed. The one negative or let's say my observation with him is that he seems to be borderline fouling all the time when trying to win a header at a set piece, though so far he got away everything and you could argue that being this aggressive is a good thing to do. But in general he can be a bit rash in the tackle.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
He definitely looks a tough guy. Current defenders at united look like a bunch of pansies, honestly. Even Smalling, the biggest of the bunch, doesn't have the fear factor that great CBs usually have.

Alabaster Codify7

I like Maguire, I definitely think he's capable of playing for one of top 5 clubs.
My hunch? He'll be at Chelsea next season, I just have a feeling. Luiz heading out, Cahill knocking on a bit, Ruediger generally being rubbish, I can see Chelsea moving for a CB in the summer and Maguire will be up there.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I'd love him at United.

Agree, reminds me of John Terry. As they are not the same technically I guess it must be the leadership potential.

Blind

He just likes playing football, it's great to see. Obviously not the most refined centre back in the PL but he's got plenty of time to develop into a top defender.

Classical Mechanic

Not sure there is a more agile centre back out there tbh. Some of the stuff he does is ridiculous for a centre back, like dribbling the length of the pitch against City, holding off Yaya Toure and then chipping the ball to Vardy in the box for a volley.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Poor man's Hummels.
I think, stylistically, Hummels is a good comparison. Obviously many levels below, but still very similar in playstyle.

I think his biggest flaw is his mobility and it's sort of compensated by how Leicester play a deep block and play super counter attacking football.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's one of the few English defenders I look at and think he could play abroad at a higher level pretty comfortably.

He'd be no worse in defence than some of the jokers Dortmund have and given he isn't the quickest but can read the game Seria A would also be a league where I'm sure he could do well.

He reminds me a bit of Pallister in how he plays, scandalous how he only got about 20 England caps.

Classical Mechanic

I think, stylistically, Hummels is a good comparison. Obviously many levels below, but still very similar in playstyle.

I think his biggest flaw is his mobility and it's sort of compensated by how Leicester play a deep block and play super counter attacking football.
You think he is immobile? I don't get that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You think he is immobile? I don't get that.
He lacks pace so playing him in a defence parked on the halfway line like Spurs and Man City would be a big risk.

He's better in a back 3 aswell, really came into his own when Hull started doing it last season.

I assume when Leicester signed him they'd just move Fuchs as a third centre back but so far they've stuck to the deep back 4 that won them the league (Simpson, Morgan etc). He's been exposed some times but excellent at other times.

A really interesting player who hopefully the national team won't misuse. I rate him higher than Michael Keane who to me is just a head it, kick it CB.