Harry & Meghan step back from Royals - seeking financial independence

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced they will step back as "senior" royals and work to become financially independent.
In a statement, Prince Harry and Meghan also said they plan to split their time between the UK and North America.
The BBC understands no other royal - including the Queen or Prince William - was consulted before the statement and Buckingham Palace is "disappointed".

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good on him and her. Have always liked Harry.

His relationship with William seems to have totally broken down.

Think it creates for massive issues for future popularity and relevance of Royal Family, especially after the Queen dies, which will be quite soon.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fair fecks to them. She was a successful and presumably millionaire actress before hand and he’s put his adult life into the Army including two tours of Afghanistan. If they want to step back from Royal life and forfeit the benefits that come with that, then they are owed the right that the media and public no longer “own a piece of them“ and will hopefully back off.

Classical Mechanic

Fair fecks to them. She was a successful and presumably millionaire actress before hand and he’s put his adult life into the Army including two tours of Afghanistan. If they want to step back from Royal life and forfeit the benefits that come with that, then they are owed the right that the media and public no longer “own a piece of them“ and will hopefully back off.
They‘ll still be trading off the royal name and be getting big benefits regardless. He’ll go straight in to the elite level of after dinner speaking for one, the likes of Clinton and Blair earn up to £200k for an evenings work in that sphere. Sceptical that he’ll pay for their own security detail etc too.

It will be a surprise if they get less media coverage in reality but they can spend more time in the US I guess.

Apparently William is going to seriously streamline the paid Royals when he gets the crown anyway.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Fully expect the press to launch an attack on Meghan and cite her as the reason for their decision.
They spun her marrying Harry as gold digging and they’ll sure as shit spin this as her somehow doing something bad as well.

saivet

Good on them. A lot of people in the replies aren't too happy with them though.

arnie_ni

Didnt they just get like a 4mil revamp of their home paid by the taxpayer?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
:lol: Some old guy on Sky News right now is absolutely fuming over this

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The 'work to become financially independent' bit raised an eyebrow.

DM readers are blaming 'Meagain' predictably. Boring they cover Piers Morgan's self-absorbed views too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I was initially indifferent to this story (beyond thinking it's what any mentally healthy couple in their situation would do) but then I saw some of the ire on twitter and now I think it's hillarious.

I particularly like the "well, if they don't want the job then they can pay back all the money we gave them" line of reasoning. I'm not sure that's how having royalty works. :lol:

Rudie

Mentary
Love this, she's had a really hard time of it in the press but it shows Harry is 100% supportive no matter what. I hope they have a lifetime of happiness.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Fantastic news.

I'm a fan of seeing the 'Royal Family' falter in any & every way possible.
& the press have treated Meghan in an absolutely disgusting manner.

As a side note, the general british public are confusing as feck.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They‘ll still be trading off the royal name and be getting big benefits regardless. He’ll go straight in to the elite level of after dinner speaking for one, the likes of Clinton and Blair earn up to £200k for an evenings work in that sphere. Sceptical that he’ll pay for their own security detail etc too.

It will be a surprise if they get less media coverage in reality but they can spend more time in the US I guess.

Apparently William is going to seriously streamline the paid Royals when he gets the crown anyway.
Perhaps he will and ones reaction can be really cynical about it.

But it’s all relative: he was brought up in a particular way with access to a certain lifestyle and social connections, it is what it is.

But I personally think it’s laudable that Harry will attempt to earn his own income, and as is also stated, set up his own charity. He is seeking more ownership to his life’s purpose, which is currenly just as a ‘spare’ to the throne.

He is still relatively young: I think his intention is to live amongst more normal people and ensure his children can succeed in that world.

It’s also a massive fcuk you to the British media and the upper class British establishment whose treatment towards Meghan has been despicable and abhorrent racist dog whistling. I think Diana would be proud of him.

I think it’s all good.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Mad decision. He was only 6th in the line of succession. Why give up the throne?

Classical Mechanic

Perhaps he will and ones reaction can be really cynical about it.

But it’s all relative: he was brought up in a particular way with access to a certain lifestyle and social connections, it is what it is.

But I personally think it’s laudable that Harry will attempt to earn his own income, and as is also stated, set up his own charity. He is seeking more ownership to his life’s purpose, which is currenly just as a ‘spare’ to the throne.

He is still relatively young: I think his intention is to live amongst more normal people and ensure his children can succeed in that world.

It’s also a massive fcuk you to the British media and the upper class British establishment whose treatment towards Meghan has been despicable and abhorrent racist dog whistling. I think Diana would be proud of him.

I think it’s all good.
Sure but they won’t have any trouble at all in earning crazy crazy money. The possibilities are massive for them.

DVG7

Treatment of her by the press is sickening.
She was named the most unfairly treated person in the UK in 2019. The voters for that obviously didn't read the Angel Gomes performances thread.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fully expect the press to launch an attack on Meghan and cite her as the reason for their decision.
Well she did break up The Beatles, after all.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Good luck to them... Suspect they have enough money to be comfortable hope they do something they enjoy and with their profile they can probably do a lot of good if they set up that charity foundation.

Hopefully the media will leave them largely along though I have a feeling they won't

Classical Mechanic

Good luck to them... Suspect they have enough money to be comfortable hope they do something they enjoy and with their profile they can probably do a lot of good if they set up that charity foundation.

Hopefully the media will leave them largely along though I have a feeling they won't
There‘s so many economic opportunities for them to exploit, stuff like this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/49124484

It will be interesting to see which route they take.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They'll obvious still massively benefit from being royal but it's a nice move.

Guessing the Palace is disappointed because it weakens them and opens the door for others to do the same, not that I'd expect any to any time soon.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Not looking good for Meghan.

Also, don't ask me why the psychic is holding asparagus.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
What will The Daily Mail do now.
The anger is as palpable as it is unfathomable.

Joshua_USA17, NYC, United States,
ONLY after a TWO MONTH LONG tax payer funded vacation in
Canada.

Airgirl66, London, United Kingdom
Fantastic news. No purse money or protection though please. I hope you realise what you have done Harry. Very sad for your family

Charles96, Dunfermline, United Kingdom,
Well she got her way !!!! She has successfully alienated him from his family. All Money from taxpayer should stop with immediate effect. Also refund for all renovations to frogmore be returned.

piperh, london, United Kingdom,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/reportAbuseInComment.html?articleId=7866007&commentId=499957155
Good, also they were never senior royals

ArranLaPaul, Todmorden, United Kingdom
My taxes should be spent on someone that actually appreciates them and doesn't preach at me for owning a car when they travel via private plane and use more fossil fuels than almost any other couple in the world

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
What the hell is 'Frogmore'?