Has Garnacho surpassed Januzaj already?

Farmershawn

Januzaj was given the #11 shirt the following season. I see many asking for #7 shirt to be given to Garnacho. Let's not make the same mistake again

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Garnacho has pace. Can’t understate how important that is and how much further it sets him apart from Januzaj
Yeah, I think this is spot on.

Wingers lacking that sort of pace usually struggles in this league (if not most leagues) unless you’re exceptional technically, like D/B Silva, Mata (and even he got moved centrally) or the squad is built around your strengths (surrounded by other fast/physical players and overlapping fullbacks etc).

Also, I might be misrepresenting januzaj here but I recall his attitude a little entitled/questionable at such a young age. That also separates the decent from the good or the very good players.

Red Royal

Januzaj was a great exciting prospect. He had one great game versus Sunderland and a few good games. He seemed to just fall of a cliff performance wise for some reason (attitude gets spoken about a lot but who knows why).

AndySmith1990

Januzaj was hyped up in the same way Gernacho is and look how that turned out. Gernacho looks very talented but it's still early days. Playing for United requires more than flashy skill and some pace. We have no idea how he'll handle pressure, what his mental attributes are like, and how he'll cope when he's given a run of games and people's expectations of him increase.

Be patient and let's see, rather than hype him to unreasonable levels as there's a tendency to do with young players

GazTheLegend

Januzaj had the talent to make it here, but not the mentality. I also feel that he was badly coached. Garnacho seems to have a stronger mentality and is fortunate to have ten Hag. The only issue Garnacho has is that he's up against Rashford.
It's weird because Januzaj seemed like a clever player and looked like he could get over his more obvious problems. But quite honestly, Diallo has probably surpassed him.

Jezpeza

Januzaj was hyped up in the same way Gernacho is and look how that turned out. Gernacho looks very talented but it's still early days. Playing for United requires more than flashy skill and some pace. We have no idea how he'll handle pressure, what his mental attributes are like, and how he'll cope when he's given a run of games and people's expectations of him increase.

Be patient and let's see, rather than hype him to unreasonable levels as there's a tendency to do with young players
the biggest thing for Garnacho (and it applies to Antony too) is that he needs to work on what he delivers and his decision making in the final 3rd.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Janujaz under Moyes looked like a 28 y.o player with 5 years of PL under his belt. His decision making was so good. It was only for one season though but you have to give it to him. Garnacho is more of a direct player that causes havoc than having mature decision making. Garnacho is also more pacy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
No, he hasn’t. Januzaj was a starter, had to ply his trade against fresh teams with tactical measures at their freshest in a game, that’s a wholly different kettle of fish to being a rapid player who comes on against tired legs.

Until Garnacho is a starter, doing what he currently does as a sub, he hasn’t surpassed Janzaj at all; isn’t even playing under the same conditions, expectations or pressure.

Edit: Januzaj also had the major burden of being a chief creator in our starting xi. By contrast, people are just thrilled to see a competent player do what they should in Garnacho, but he isn’t expected to carry us in any shape or form like Januzaj was being beckoned to do.

Last edited:

flappyjay

Both may have similar footballing skills (or Januzaj edges slightly ) but Garnacho has the speed and grit which are key attributes to excel in the PL and they are required to propel a player with potential to become a truly world class forward. CR7 had that when he broke into the scene and everyone can tell he is going to become the next big thing.
Just have to hope Garnacho can keep his head down and stay focused. Excited over his prospects
As much as I don't rate Antony the grit bit is the reason he is better than Sancho, Martial lacks the same thing.

flappyjay

No, he hasn’t. Januzaj was a starter, had to ply his trade against fresh teams with tactical measures at their freshest in a game, that’s a wholly different kettle of fish to being a rapid player who comes on against tired legs.

Until Garnacho is a starter, doing what he currently does as a sub, he hasn’t surpassed Janzaj at all; isn’t even playing under the same conditions, expectations or pressure.
Add the fact that the senior players had downed tools his performances look even better.

Walters_19_MuFc

There was a time when Januzaj was carrying our team, despite being only 18. He played for a team that was disjointed and had no real philosophy about them.

The same can't be said about Garnacho, who, despite putting in some fantastic displays this season, is part of a much better and settled team, and is used a lot more sporadically in comparison to Januzaj.

That being said, I do believe Garnacho has all the tools to go to the top, and I believe ten Hag is the right manager to allow him to do that.

Remember the geese

It's weird because Januzaj seemed like a clever player and looked like he could get over his more obvious problems. But quite honestly, Diallo has probably surpassed him.
Yeah something went very wrong there. I honestly believe that he had World Class potential. A mixture of him being mismanaged during some pivotal years, but also the wrong attitude on his part have contributed to him becoming what he is today. I'm a massive fan of Amad and I hope to see us give him a real opportunity.

bringbackbebe

Thinking about Januzaj makes me want to weep. So many bad decisions and terrible years of coaching resulting in a lost decade and wasted talents.

glasgow 21

You might laugh but I see a lot of Michael Mols in Garnacho. The one thing Garnacho has to add to his game is playing with his back to goal. Plenty of time for that but could be a extremely potent player if he works on the weaker sides of his game .Ten Hag will know what to do with him. The sharpness of decision making, as with Antony, of picking when to realise or go at goal himself needs honing but we can all see there is a diamond there. I would love to see (Rashford ,New No.9, Anthony) backed up by (Garnacho, He who can't be mentioned, Amad) next season.

Abraxas

To me it's a bit of a pointless comparison. Surely we are not that enthralled about the idea of Garnacho "surpassing" Januzaj, who ultimately never even put together one convincing season here. He was all occasional promise and stupendous reserve performance. Garnacho's talent should be dictating that we want to mould him into a genuine world class star.

dalriada

I'm always cautious about this, players in their breakthrough season at a young age sometimes go on to stellar careers, others seem to be more shooting stars (excuse the pun) and are soon gone. SAF praised Januzaj as technically gifted, he shone in the Moyes season while the wheels were coming off with everything else, but there were already questions about his work ethic and attitude. Warren Joyce, who had worked with him in the youth teams, later named him as a player who stopped doing the hard work once all the media praise started and said he needed to decide whether to be footballer at the top level or in a boyband (he also named James Wilson and Federico Macheda). I think LVG gets blamed for coaching him badly, but he's known to have a low tolerance for that kind of behaviour. Often these are the players who think they have one job in the team, and we saw that with Greenwood when Ole hinted that he thought he was there just to get the dramatic goals and needed to be more of a team player.

Garnacho looks as if he has some of those extra qualities - he has pace, he will track back and defend and help the team, he has determination and tons of self-belief and he's "brave", to use ETH's description - for an 18 year-old he has a good ability to fend off bigger, older players where Januzaj was often criticised for diving.

So, everything is in his favour if he keeps his head screwed on, you just never know with players at this age.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

This. It's way too early to compare.

Let's wait and see how he deals with his first blip.

BlahRules

Januzaj would have made it if he had ETH developing him. His mentality would never have been an issue if he had the right coach and competent CEO and director of football.

If Garnacho broke out that year I assure you he would have been the same as Januzaj. It was already made out that Januzaj has already made it with Woodward giving him a good contract to fend off PSG and giving him the #11 shirt.

ETH has been keeping Garnacho grounded and even after the post-press conference already stated that he needs to learn and point out his weakness whilst praising him at the same time.

Ibrahimorich

Januzaj was a great exciting prospect. He had one great game versus Sunderland and a few good games. He seemed to just fall of a cliff performance wise for some reason (attitude gets spoken about a lot but who knows why).
As I remember it, he was playing really well and basically the only good thing about the team. Then Moyes inexplicably took him out of the team and he never recovered any form. I could be mistaken of course.

wangyu

Never rated Januzaj. Like many players good technique but not a great dribbler.

Micky Targaryen

Pretty much the same in terms of talent, but mentality supersedes talent at this point of his career imo. Let’s see how he carries himself over a span of 2 full seasons when media start hyping him up.

wangyu

Garnacho has something many people miss and that is grit between his teeth, he will have a great career unlike Januzaj

marktan

No, Januzaj was very talented and had a great debut season. It went tits up due to a mix of very bad loans and poor attitude (supposedly).

Garnacho is having a good first season but it remains to be seen how he'll be in further ones.

izec

Januzaj is so overrated on here. He had a handful of good games at senior level for us. You would think he was the second coming of Cruyff.

He was a good talent, but nothing extraordinary. Decent career overall. Some expected him to become a superstar, but i dont think that was ever on the cards after his time at United, where everyone could see he is not all that. Mentality is part of sports and life. Far bigger waste of talent, alone here we had Ravel.

meamth

It's quite bizarre how LVG handled Januzaj. Suddenly he wasn't trusted or relied upon with LVG.

Probably if it was Solskjaer or ETH, I'm sure Januzaj would make it here.

clarkydaz

As I remember it, he was playing really well and basically the only good thing about the team. Then Moyes inexplicably took him out of the team and he never recovered any form. I could be mistaken of course.
my memory was he had a honeymoon period where the team were poor and he was kinda living the dream with no real pressure on him. Theres a Rio story where he said Moyes told a player he wouldnt be playing, and he started crying

Judas

Open to offers
Januzaj was overhyped and celebrated, treated like our future savior because we were a fan base desperately seeking something to be positive about.

mu4c_20le

Of course. Antony is the one who should aspire to Januzaj's debut season level. Garnach has even surpassed debut Ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Absolutely. Januzaj is a headless chicken who lacks pace. Garnacho is a real talented, seems doing fine with decision making at his age, and lot faster.

Tapori

Garnacho has emerged very well. He has to take his chances when playing, keep up and improve his form and I think we'll have a dangerous player.

Very impressed with his tenacity and his vision of play.

Based Adnan

I imagine he will in time but I remember a game vs Norwich in the league cup where an 18 year old Januzaj completely dominated the game from the number 10 position.

Garnacho has contributed but not yet grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck yet. It will come though.