Has Ole given up on next season already?

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Don't mind Ole's comments myself. At least he's not delusional nor blowing smoke up the fans' arses. Self-awareness/self-realization is the first step to getting us back to the top. Will take us a minimum of three years before we're seriously challenging for the league again. That's best case scenario. Might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Transition isnt a blank cheque. Transition is top 3 and rebuilding. Top 6 or 7 isn't a transition, it's a sackable offence.

When do we held our manager accountable. Every new manager is given the wait till he build his own squad cliche. Top 4 or sack. Always have always been. Mitigating factors aside

C'est Moi Cantona

There sis no such thing as a 'transitional season', or a 'no expectations' season, at a club like ours, and all the fans who say they get it, will be saying something else if we find ourselves anywhere near the position we did under Jose come December.

If it's true that he will be backed heavily this window, which it surely has to be, then expectations will be high, maybe not winning the thing, but certainly alot closer, and with some sort of watchable style as well, Ole isn't a special case, he's either a good manager or he isn't.

SAFMUTD

Interesting that Ole started saying that we should rediscover our form, the United way, attacking football, player freedom, etc. But as soon as things went south now he suddenly is a realist.

Of course we won’t challenge for the title next season, but I think Ole’s declarations are a clear statement that he is doubting the team and himself. If Mourinho said this a year ago we would all had killed him, but since he is Ole then he is just a realist.

Don’t misunderstand me, I don't agree with Mourinho but I don’t think that our manager should say things like this even when he thinks it.

What message does it sends to potential signings when the manager say they won’t challenge for the title? What message do it transmit to the team? We are already defeated before the season starts. Bad management all the way, only lowering expectations so the pressure won’t pile up on him. It’s clear Ole is not the right fit for this job.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lowering expectations. Sacked by Feb, with us outside the top six.

Unless we make changes, there is a very real possibility of Wolves, Everton or Leicester passing us next season.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
Liverpool signed Van Dijk, which is the entire reason their defense went from meh to godlike. One of the best signings from Liverpool the last 20 years.

We're going shopping for talent this year. I'm so fkn hyped for this summer, its going to be great.
He’s not the entire reason. They play a double pivot, which gives the defence much greater protection. Fabinho has settled down and is proving just as shrewd a buy as VVD. Klopp also fine tuned their pressing game, they’re not as gung-ho as they once were.

yamo123x

You can be the biggest optimist in the world but eventually reality bites.

Simple fact..If we start next season with young smalling matic fred mctominay mata and lingard in the team then you will see more drab mediocrity. Ole phelan Carrick and co should see this. Its time to ship out the dross and build a team

superdry

touched by a genius
My guess is he'll be gone before October, probably sooner. He's looking bewildered now, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sack himself before then.... this jobs too big for a guy with so little experience.

SungSam7

We are signing some dude called James who should be going to Leeds. Yes he’s given up and once again the club is backing a dud.
Who do we sign then? Keep going down the routes of signing big names and shoehorn them in? We have been crying that we let the likes of Dortmund pick up players for peanuts, the club see something in James. Didn't Alli come from MKDons ffs.

Hoof the ball

Watched the new video by Tifo on Youtube about "Game Theory" and he brought up a great point about Sir Alex and how he dealt with transitional periods where the club wasn't successful (2004-2007) and his approach in restoring United. The link is below, but I wrote the pertinent section below also :-

United failed to win the league for three successive seasons during that time period (2004-2007) and Ferguson was facing significant pressure from fans and critics who saw Chelsea and Arsenal as the best teams in England. However, Ferguson understood that United could never be Premier League winners every year and that there would be times in his tenure that his squad would be inferior to that of other teams. Rather than trying to sign big-name players to react to his competition, Ferguson understood the benefit of developing talents like Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo would outweigh the benefits of short-term failures. This is not to say that Ferguson didn't care about results; it's simply that he believed in certain ideas about how football should be approached, among which was youth development. Ferguson made decisions based on his and Manchester United's values ahead of their interests, and this type of infinite strategy enabled him to outperform his competition in the long run.

Smores

He's right i agree with him like i agreed with Jose when he said similar about our title challenge. The comment about everton, wolves etc though is too far and is really not a good signal to potential signings.

If the club aren't pushing that top 4 is a minimum on him then i worry what it means for their ambitions.

DSG

This is a smart way to approach next season. Under promise, over deliver.

He’s going to completely rebuild the squad. That can only happen over 3-4 transfer windows.

4-5 good signings this summer, 1-2 over the winter, top 4, maybe a cup, 4-5 more signings in the following summer.

passing-wind

Hit and miss with the comments, it's not exactly something said that gets us looking forward to next season.

People love to make pointless example with Klopp and Pep, Klopp even under Dortmund played some of the best fast attacking football, won the league etc. Pep has managed probably the best team of this generation and had them playing football never seen before. Those are key aspects that owners / boards will invest into.

Ole for me thus far in his career doesn't have any managerial credentials that give us a glimmer of hope heading forward. Not saying I don't support him, but if I was running United as a business and changes was needed I'd go with law of averages, a more decorated manager (not entirely trophies) is a safer risk.

Klopp finished 8th in his first season and then finished 4th the next. If Ole doesn't get top 4 next season, especially if the glazers give him the finances he has to be sacked. Unless we are playing with an identity that gives us the platform to improve, that is the only grey area i can ascertain towards a top 6 finish.

jem

I’ll answer that if you can tell me how signing James and signing Robertson and Winljdrum are the same?

Did Gomez cost £15m and 22 years old?
Signing unfancied players from lower divisions and/or bottom of the Prem. Gomez was apparently 3.5 million, which pretty much means 15 million these days. Just accept it.

jimmyb2000

Young.

Don't let Young go - he epitomises everything about United at this current moment:

not good enough but we can't admit it
been here way too long..but we can't admit it
Not captain material...but we can't admit it
Gets United....

Canagel

The defeatist comments on Wolves Leicester catching us is not good. We are in the same bracket of Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal and this is the teams we'll be fighting against.

The least he can be expected to do is start establishing clear style of play. Develop some attacking patterns and add cohesion in our football. Let's not forget we scored the grand total of 1 goal in our CL campaign. Itll be interesting to see how we progres forward on this front.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
That's the whole point. A club such as united shouldnt bank on an unknown quantity in the first place
Eh?

United have never signed unknown quantities?

We were built on signing them, and coaching them. Making them the world beaters they were.

Not this crock of shit we are now.

Nobody banked on them then and nobody should bank on them now. It's young talent to nurture. Like we did in the good old days.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not, I think he's had enough time to access the squad and I guess he's realised that they're not ready to compete with the likes of Liverpool and City at the moment.

Of course, that will all change very soon, though, if we go about things the right way.

Mainoldo

Signing unfancied players from lower divisions and/or bottom of the Prem. Gomez was apparently 3.5 million, which pretty much means 15 million these days. Just accept it.
Is that some kind of degenerate Brexit tax? Did they sign Gomez in 2005? How has 3.5m turned into 15m?

Gomez was not unfancied they signed a youth player who they thought was developed enough to be better than there current youth.

This only works for us in the same context if James replaces Chong in the production chain. If it works fair play but it’s a very expensive gamble.

jem

Is that some kind of degenerate Brexit tax? Did they sign Gomez in 2005? How has 3.5m turned into 15m?

Gomez was not unfancied they signed a youth player who they thought was developed enough to be better than there current youth.

This only works for us in the same context if James replaces Chong in the production chain. If it works fair play but it’s a very expensive gamble.
Match point: jem.

minoo-utd

Starting to lower the expectations already, after all the shit he said about Man.United and bla bla bla every time, now it is a miracle for Man.United to challenge for P.L title before the season starts with 3 months!

How if you work under him you would take that?

Feck off already Ole.

L1nk

Starting to lower the expectations already, after all the shit he said about Man.United and bla bla bla every time, now it is a miracle for Man.United to challenge for P.L title before the season starts with 3 months!

How if you work under him you would take that?

Feck off already Ole.
It would be a miracle for us to challenge for the title next season.

Wake up to reality of how dire our situation is and how shit our squad is compared to the likes of City and Liverpool, one transfer window isn't going to change that, especially when they will be strengthening too, we need a full shift from top to bottom, it's going to take seasons. If any supporter is genuinely expecting us to be neck and neck challenging for the PL title next season then you need to just get off the internet now and stay off, because, and this is a trigger warning, it's not going to happen, like in any way shape or form.

I would much rather us make signings like Daniel James, some young quality players, and build again from the ground up, then in maybe 2-3 seasons see us challenge for the title, you know, like Fergie did when we were having those few years of unsuccessful title droughts before he built his next team and helped us compete again and again.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's lost Herrera, potentially losing Mata, De Gea, Pogba, maybe even Rashford...possibly a few others. The contract situation at the club is an absolute state.

I'd love him to be more enthusiastic and I think he should be. No one would blame him for not competing for the title next season just because he says he wants to...but realism does need to come into it somewhere.

Next season is beyond realistic due to the poor way the club has been run before he even arrived. It wouldn't matter if it was Klopp or Pep who we hired in January, along with getting a clear plan and strategy, they'd still need more time than a few months to sort things out. We have Ole, and there is no evidence at all that the club has any plan or strategy to back him up. The only person alluding to any kind of plan has been Ole himself.

Next season I think things get worse before they get better. Ole has 40 points from 20 league games. That would be enough for 75-80 over the course of a season which would have put us as comfortably 3rd...That's actually quite impressive given the problems and I think he'll do well to match that next year.

JMack1234

Anybody who thinks we can challenge for the premier league next season is clinically insane.

We are a million miles behind Liverpool and City at the moment and we're even seriously behind Spurs.

The goals for the next season are going to be top four and a cup run. Better get used to that right now.

MAME DIOUF 32

If you expect us to seriously challenge next season then you're delusional imo. We need to rebuild, not to throw Sanchez-level money around. The football side of the club is in an absolute state and the root causes need to be addressed.

Will Singh

Sometimes Ole says things that are like 1 line quotes that hit the headlines which this is not one of them. It's very obvious that we will not be title contenders next season and the majority of fans Ive spoken to agree with me that it's going to take at least 3 years to get back to a title winning team.

Mainoldo

Hopefully this is a wum otherwise be quiet.
You mad. He’s got the whole summer to back up his talk about bringing attacking football and quality players. We need a right winger and that boy isn’t the answer. I don’t care what romantic hope people on here have.

Mr.Kaya

Anybody who thinks we can challenge for the premier league next season is clinically insane.

We are a million miles behind Liverpool and City at the moment and we're even seriously behind Spurs.

The goals for the next season are going to be top four and a cup run. Better get used to that right now.
Well said!

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It’s sad how quickly half of the fan base has turned on Ole. The guy hasn’t even had a transfer window to address some of the obvious problems with the squad, let alone give it the rebuild it desperately needs.

It is this sort of impatience which has landed us exactly where we are right now. If SAF joined the club today as a fresh young manager he would probably be gone within a year.

We won’t challenge for the title next year. And despite some common misconceptions, you can’t just throw money at a football team to guarantee instant success. Even St Pep of City had a bedding in season before he started getting his team playing properly, and he had a FAR better starting squad than ours is currently.

Right now the squad does need major investment, but it also needs time to gel. How many big money signings hit the ground running immediately and don’t need anytime to settle in? Not many. And if we keep sacking managers (not that I disagree with any of the previous decisions at the time) as soon as they go through a rough patch, we will never get anywhere. Ole has shown he can get the team playing good football, and he has shown himself to be sensible, and has surrounded himself with other sensible figures at the club. Not the ridiculousness of Moyes, the philosophy of LVG or the stupid mind games and drama of Mourinho. Out of the four, Ole is the one who deserves to be given at least a couple of seasons to try to fix things.

Last edited:

redmanx

Not going for the title is one thing but if we really will be competing with Newcastle and Watford... then might as well not bother anymore, let's just give up.
Who's stopping you?

redmanx

It’s sad how quickly half of the fan base has turned on Ole. The guy hasn’t even had a transfer window to address some of the obvious problems with the squad, let alone give it the rebuild it desperately needs.

It is this sort of impatience which has landed us exactly where we are right now. If SAF joined the club today as a fresh young manager he would probably be gone within a year.[/QUOT
Yes, everyone knows that but your point?
Yes, everyone knows that but your point?
My points are tha
Did you know Ronaldo before that tour? or Nani, or Vidic?
George Best? Norman Whiteside?

Imran Mamdani

What are you on about Rooney and Ole didnt stay? Ole retired injured here and Rooney was sold to Everton by the club wanting him out, as he stunk the place up for the last 2-3 seasons. Only Ronaldo left when we wanted him to stay.
As for the rest, he already said he has agreed a 3 year plan to get us challenging. Hes telling the truth and hedging his bets at the same time. If he finishes 5/6th next season, but has improved the football, got the team playing as a team instead of like a bunch of strangers, thats a step in the right direction. If he does get top 4 then hes ahead of the game. It would be a miracle and he would be one of the best managers ever if we were challenging for the title.
100% agree with this assessment. We have long taken our success for granted and we have steeped so low since SAF that we need to give some buffer time to Ole. I also think he has to be given time to prove himself afterall we all (most of us) collectively called for his appointment and his initial success form showed what he is capable of albeit being brought down by the lack of mentality and fitness of these subpar players we have.

Flytan

Yes he has completely. If Jose said some of the depressing shit Ole has said this forum would have lost it.

Kemizee

How much points did Pep make up from 4th to the title in his second year? It can be done. But, big but!!! You buy players who can get the job done. Obviously we just give deadwood new contracts. So we are where we are.
Glad you have pointed this. For all the rubbish I keep hearing about how it will take 3 to 4 years to challenge and bla bla bla, I am of the opinion that it will not.

If we buy sensibly, we can easily top Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. We can do better than Liverpool too. I watch them and apart from Liverpool, none of them are particularly special. That means we can come second.

For all the criticism of Woodward, I personally believe that were we to purchse the right players each summer we would not be where we are.

We can finish 2nd next year if we get our acts right but it annoys me terribly when I hear 3 to 4 years to challenge. Been hearing this since 2013. Are we gonna be a club that is perpetually in transition? Is there any other big team of our ilk that thinks this way globally? I doubt.