Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Josep Dowling

I just find the BBC news website absolutely mental. Even in the current situation they still have articles like ‘I haven’t shaved for a month’. How exactly is that empowering women? There is a bizarre article like this everyday on their website.

Sweet Square

I just find the BBC news website absolutely mental. Even in the current situation they still have articles like ‘I haven’t shaved for a month’. How exactly is that empowering women? There is a bizarre article like this everyday on their website.
Did you read the article ? It might give you the answer.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Wow all women are stupid and evil
I never said that, that's just you projecting.

I am pointing out the entitlement and delusion from social justice warriors.

"Masculinity kills more than coronavirus" - that sign hasn't exactly aged well.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Without reading that specific article, I suspect that the logic is probably something like this:

1. Society tells us that hairless women are more attractive than hairy women
2. Society therefore pressures us women into shaving
3. A woman not shaving is going against societal expectations
4. Therefore a woman not shaving is empowering

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Without reading that specific article, I suspect that the logic is probably something like this:

1. Society tells us that hairless women are more attractive than hairy women
2. Society therefore pressures us women into shaving
3. A woman not shaving is going against societal expectations
4. Therefore a woman not shaving is empowering
Nah, it was more 'my husband likes sex so he put up with it but then again he wasn't really bothered anyway'. It was very boring and said nothing about anything as far as I could see.

Silva

I never said that, that's just you projecting.

I am pointing out the entitlement and delusion from social justice warriors.

"Masculinity kills more than coronavirus" - that sign hasn't exactly aged well.
what you're doing is called political correctness and i'm all with you tbh, we should all be doing everything health professionals are telling us right now, annoying landlords and cancelling @Pexbo for using sarcasm

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Almost all "political correctness" is based in kindness, reducing harm to others and in general people's lives happier. If sometimes people overshoot that isn't really surprising and in no way devalues the laudable intentions of the vast majority. And when you think of things that would previously have been seen as "political correctness gone mad" that are now seen as normal polite behavior you have to suspect that many of the suggestions we now think are going OTT will become the norm.

One example is most of us not using phrases like retard as either a description or an insult whereas it used to be common on here when we first started which isn't that long ago. And race based language has changed significantly as well. Most changes are for the better I'd say.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

What in the feck is this? Some are trying to compare the name Karen to N word. I'm struggling here.

OleBoiii

I thought that the OG Karen was the hairstyle and that's how you identified them? Not the colour of the skin. Have I missed something?
I don't know if skin-color was a crucial part of the meme to begin with, but I think most people picture a middle-aged, middle-class(or above), suburban woman when they think about Karen. That's a predominantly white demographic in the US. Also, 'Karen' is a pretty "white" name.

Sweet Square

I don't know if skin-color was a crucial part of the meme to begin with, but I think most people picture a middle-aged, middle-class, suburban woman when they think about Karen. That's a predominantly white demographic in the US. Also, 'Karen' is a pretty "white" name.
Pretty much

Ah classic Karen

Fosu-Mens

I don't know if skin-color was a crucial part of the meme to begin with, but I think most people picture a middle-aged, middle-class(or above), suburban woman when they think about Karen. That's a predominantly white demographic in the US. Also, 'Karen' is a pretty "white" name.
That hairstyle. I agree that this hairstyle is most prevalent amongst white suburban women.

fergieisold

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can anyone give evidence for any politically relevant campaign against criticizing wet markets in the name of cultural diversity?

Addressing the apparent wet markets* problem & taking over Trumpian combat terms isn't inseperately connected, as Maher wants to portray it. Or rather: it's not connected at all.

* Edit: those variants linked to epidemics that is, as "wet markets" is a broad umbrella term.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

”Well said Bill Maher”. The guy is a joke these days. He‘s always been a contrarian, smug wanker but he’s just slid into the same middle aged “you can’t say anything these days” while literally saying anything on his main stream, establishment, soap box.

Pagh Wraith

”Well said Bill Maher”. The guy is a joke these days. He‘s always been a contrarian, smug wanker but he’s just slid into the same middle aged “you can’t say anything these days” while literally saying anything on his main stream, establishment, soap box.
Hm okay. He's the only one of the American late night hosts I genuinely find funny and I generally agree with what he says.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Maher also fecks up his original point about naming the disease after the location it has come from as he references the Spanish Flu. He then directly tries to pull apart Ted Lieu's comment by saying you could just end up calling it Milan virus when the origins of the name of Spanish Flu is exactly like that. You don't need a history degree to work this shit out.

I personally don't really have much of a problem calling it the Wuhan virus but the Chinese virus is worrying, if only because I know a few good normal minded people who seem more ticked off about China than they do about the government's own response to handling the crisis.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Probably belongs in this thread. Well said, Bill Maher.

Here's a thought. Ask yourself why Bill is so keen to label this virus 'Chinese', but never once thought about calling the last pandemic, which originated in the USA in the form of H1N1, the 'American' or 'Californian' flu? In fact, back during that pandemic Maher never found the time to argue the case for why H1N1/swine flu should be named according to its origin/first known case. Funnily enough, however, he did find the time to rail against the efficacy of vaccines and suggest pregnant women and young children completely avoid it.

stevoc

Here's a thought. Ask yourself why Bill is so keen to label this virus 'Chinese', but never once thought about calling the last pandemic, which originated in the USA in the form of H1N1, the 'American' or 'Californian' flu? In fact, back during that pandemic Maher never found the time to argue the case for why H1N1/swine flu should be named according to its origin/first known case. Funnily enough, however, he did find the time to rail against the efficacy of vaccines and suggest pregnant women and young children completely avoid it.
Didn't the swine flu originate in Mexico though?

Last edited:

Gibb11

I think Maher makes a excellent grounded point. This virus is a responsibility of a some people in China there is no getting away from this.

A bit of self reflection is important.. If a stranger or friend was talking to you about the virus and passingly called it ''the Chinese virus" or "wuhan virus" ask yourself some questions.. would you know what they're reffering to? Would you correct them on the name there and then? Do you find what they said offensive?

Sweet Square

I think Maher makes a excellent grounded point. This virus is a responsibility of a some people in China there is no getting away from this.

A bit of self reflection is important.. If a stranger or friend was talking to you about the virus and passingly called it ''the Chinese virus" or "wuhan virus" ask yourself some questions.. would you know what they're reffering to? Would you correct them on the name there and then? Do you find what they said offensive?
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation...of-racist-attacks-during-coronavirus-pandemic

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Didn't the swine flu originate in Mexico though?
First confirmed case was in the US from what I've read e.g. https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/information_h1n1_virus_qa.htm.

I think research afterwards suggested its actual first infection likely was in Mexico, but the point remains that at the time, for a pandemic with the first confirmed case in the US, Maher was not clamouring to have it christened an 'American' flu.