Has political correctness actually gone mad?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Staffordshire Starbucks bans regular customer Wes after KKK comment to barista

"I am very straight up and if something looks like you are wearing the uniform for the KKK then the decent thing to do is to say I don’t look like this because I am not racist."

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/new...RqPYvZRKVnL5F4V4rav_cDlqDgvafRMXFfNqb0i5NqSmk
wtf :lol:
He sat there with a paper bag, cut out holes for eyes and wore it like some unhinged superhero. I’m not surprised they banned him, I doubt it was even about the KKK comment, this guy is 100% a threat to society.

Sweet Square

In the 40's most of them were. Or at least the American-Italian mafia was.
Brando character(The godfather)would have no idea what
you meant if you call him white(Plus Godfather pt 2 is set in parts of the early 20th century.)There's literally a character in the godfather who's main advantage is passing off as non italian.

Hagen immerses himself in the Sicilian-American culture and speaks fluent Sicilian. His Northern European appearance, though distracting to the Five Families, is an advantage to his job. He is able to travel and conduct family business in non-Italian circles without potential witnesses noticing him.
Laughing at the idea of ethnicity in films when talking about the Godfather seems to be missing a rather large theme of the series.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
you meant if you call him white(Plus Godfather pt 2 is set in parts of the early 20th century.)There's literally a character in the godfather who's main advantage is passing off as non italian.

Laughing at the idea of ethnicity in films when talking about the Godfather seems to be missing a rather large theme of the series.
I’ve no dog in this fight (and generally think Douglas Murray is an arse, so can’t be bothered watching his video) but can’t people look Italian/Sicilian while still being white?

Or has the meaning of “white” changed to only mean blonde hair/blue eyed aryan looking Northern Europeans?

EDIT: I’m going to regret using the word aryan, aren’t I?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I’ve no dog in this fight (and generally think Douglas Murray is an arse, so can’t be bothered watching his video) but can’t people look Italian/Sicilian while still being white?

Or has the meaning of “white” changed to only mean blonde hair/blue eyed aryan looking Northern Europeans?

EDIT: I’m going to regret using the word aryan, aren’t I?
White has changed to mean Americans.

Probably.

Sweet Square

I’ve no dog in this fight (and generally think Douglas Murray is an arse, so can’t be bothered watching his video)
The clip is annoying but you have to watch it to get my point.

Murray is laughing at the idea introducing ethnicity and diversity into the Godfather. When quite clearly one of the main theme of the Godfather is the Italian American experience in the 20th century. The Godfather is a diverse film and fits what conservatives would now decry as Hollywood identity politics.

but can’t people look Italian/Sicilian while still being white?
Of course, race is a social construct so it can and does change. Murray through his own stupidity on the Godfather shows this. But also this a discussion about a film and not the current state of Italians Americans(Who are of course white).

Last edited:

Gehrman

My POV is that a movie should be judged on it's quality and not on it's diversity or whether it's racial diversity or having to fulfill a quota of LGBTQ+ inclusion. I was happy to see Parasite win best picture last year, because I honesty thought it was the best film that year, not the best korean film, but simply the best film among all of them. I think movie directors and producers overall should have a free artistic vision at the end of the day.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There was a great New York Times article earlier on this year about how Italians became seen to be white in the development of the US. See Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States_Census#2000_census. Italian Americans completing the census in 2010 would answer 'no' to Q8 and 'White' to Q9. Compare that to immigrants from the Iberian penisula.

Ethnicity, race and whiteness is as much about politics as appearance or genetics.

Gehrman

I have traditionally thought of the stereotypical Italian as being white, but obviously in southern countries they are a lot more tanned than in nordic european countries. Of course I know that demographics change with time and more Italians are now black than they were 60 years ago or mixed. I don't really look at players like Del Piero, Totti and think they are not white because they are Italian.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
In the 40's most of them were. Or at least the American-Italian mafia was.
Sicilians have been othered across both sides of the Atlantic for much of the 18th-20th century because of their darker skin and blackness. People forget the northernmost point of Italy is essentially level with the mid-point of France and Switzerland, whilst the southernmost point is with Tunisia and Algeria.

Sweet Square

There was a great New York Times article earlier on this year about how Italians became seen to be white in the development of the US. See Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_United_States_Census#2000_census. Italian Americans completing the census in 2010 would answer 'no' to Q8 and 'White' to Q9. Compare that to immigrants from the Iberian penisula.

Ethnicity, race and whiteness is as much about politics as appearance or genetics.
Cheers for this. Great read.

How the Irish became white is a read book with very similar themes that might interest you.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
My POV is that a movie should be judged on it's quality and not on it's diversity or whether it's racial diversity or having to fulfill a quota of LGBTQ+ inclusion. I was happy to see Parasite win best picture last year, because I honesty thought it was the best film that year, not the best korean film, but simply the best film among all of them. I think movie directors and producers overall should have a free artistic vision at the end of the day.
Difficult though when you're working on a $300m budget. At that point, certain artistic freedom gets taken away. You'll also be working on various marketing/advertising partnerships with certain corporations and they're conscious about ensuring zero negative press. Too much skin the game and possible brand image issues for anything close to full artistic control.

Parasite cost $11m and is Korean (a largely homogenised country) which is probably why it wasn't constrained (and also a glorious film).

Also, there's a historical factor accounting for The Godfather. New Hollywood Cinema of the 1970s had no idea what would do well so had to improvise and take risks. Lots of freedom was given to filmmakers of the day. It roughly came to an end when a) George Lucas knocked it out of the park with Star Wars, and b) Heaven's Gate flopped harder than a fish on dry land.

Since then it's been a slow ride to what we have today. Talented directors working with the likes of Disney, with far less actual control than they'd like.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Difficult though when you're working on a $300m budget. At that point, certain artistic freedom gets taken away. You'll also be working on various marketing/advertising partnerships with certain corporations and they're conscious about ensuring zero negative press. Too much skin the game and possible brand image issues for anything close to full artistic control.

Parasite cost $11m and is Korean (a largely homogenised country) which is probably why it wasn't constrained (and also a glorious film).

Also, there's a historical factor accounting for The Godfather. New Hollywood Cinema of the 1970s had no idea what would do well so had to improvise and take risks. Lots of freedom was given to filmmakers of the day. It roughly came to an end when a) George Lucas knocked it out of the park with Star Wars, and b) Heaven's Gate flopped harder than a fish on dry land.

Since then it's been a slow ride to what we have today. Talented directors working with the likes of Disney, with far less actual control than they'd like.
The oscars tbf has always been a bit of farce though. I never expect anything from Disney or blockbusters to be the actually best movies tbh. Precisly because how superficial they in reality are.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Staffordshire Starbucks bans regular customer Wes after KKK comment to barista

"I am very straight up and if something looks like you are wearing the uniform for the KKK then the decent thing to do is to say I don’t look like this because I am not racist."

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/new...RqPYvZRKVnL5F4V4rav_cDlqDgvafRMXFfNqb0i5NqSmk
He added: “Being barred from a cafe over this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life.
As opposed to sitting with a paper bag over your fecking head in a coffee shop?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I wonder why he's single.

Are single people being ripped off?

A DUNFERMLINE man has hit out at coffee chain Costa for discriminating against single people after receiving a voucher that was absolutely no use to him.

Douglas Millar believes singles like himself are being ripped off by companies who he says never take into consideration a large proportion of the population.

He spoke up after receiving a voucher from Costa through his door for a ‘buy one get one free’ drinks offer, and has now written to the business asking why they are discriminating against himself and single people.

The 65-year-old told the Press: “I am cheesed off, I don’t know why Costa is prepared to give me a discount when I’m a regular customer. The voucher could have been 50 per cent off up to two hot drinks but instead, you get something through the door that is not applicable to me.

“I am passionate about standing up for single people and I’ve just had enough.

“I never stay in hotels with a single room supplement and on one occasion in a restaurant that was offering a two-for-the-price-of-one deal, I ordered two meals and told staff to put one in the bin.

“I wasn’t proud of that but I felt more strongly about being discriminated against than food waste.”

And Mr Millar stressed it wasn’t just Costa. He said major supermarkets continue to sell meat and fish in packets of a minimum of two pieces and that while he could afford to buy two and freeze one for later, not everyone was so fortunate, especially in the current COVID climate.

“The demographics of Scotland don’t align with the marketing strategies that companies do,” the retiree added.

“They are stereotyping and not all households are made up of couples and families.

“I talk to some of my friends that are single and they all feel the same.

“When I have complained in the past, I often got a £5-10 voucher but I no longer accept them as it’s the company’s marketing policies that need to change.

A Costa spokesperson said: “We’d like to confirm that we have caught up with the customer service team who will be responding to the customer today.

“We’ve also passed the feedback onto our marketing team in regards to the offer in question.”

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/ne...A1ShRvahVrYMPa1zDEAradkK-AUsfiO-MeJXO4dq-Dxmc

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I wonder why he's single.

Are single people being ripped off?

A DUNFERMLINE man has hit out at coffee chain Costa for discriminating against single people after receiving a voucher that was absolutely no use to him.

Douglas Millar believes singles like himself are being ripped off by companies who he says never take into consideration a large proportion of the population.

He spoke up after receiving a voucher from Costa through his door for a ‘buy one get one free’ drinks offer, and has now written to the business asking why they are discriminating against himself and single people.

The 65-year-old told the Press: “I am cheesed off, I don’t know why Costa is prepared to give me a discount when I’m a regular customer. The voucher could have been 50 per cent off up to two hot drinks but instead, you get something through the door that is not applicable to me.

“I am passionate about standing up for single people and I’ve just had enough.

“I never stay in hotels with a single room supplement and on one occasion in a restaurant that was offering a two-for-the-price-of-one deal, I ordered two meals and told staff to put one in the bin.

“I wasn’t proud of that but I felt more strongly about being discriminated against than food waste.”

And Mr Millar stressed it wasn’t just Costa. He said major supermarkets continue to sell meat and fish in packets of a minimum of two pieces and that while he could afford to buy two and freeze one for later, not everyone was so fortunate, especially in the current COVID climate.

“The demographics of Scotland don’t align with the marketing strategies that companies do,” the retiree added.

“They are stereotyping and not all households are made up of couples and families.

“I talk to some of my friends that are single and they all feel the same.

“When I have complained in the past, I often got a £5-10 voucher but I no longer accept them as it’s the company’s marketing policies that need to change.

A Costa spokesperson said: “We’d like to confirm that we have caught up with the customer service team who will be responding to the customer today.

“We’ve also passed the feedback onto our marketing team in regards to the offer in question.”

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/ne...A1ShRvahVrYMPa1zDEAradkK-AUsfiO-MeJXO4dq-Dxmc
:lol: Still, don't get me started on Two Together train cards.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I hope he didn't cheese off right there and then in costa.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
TV show slammed for bizarre ‘how to shop sexily’ segment for women, telling them to ‘arch backs’ as they reach for beans

"Tips included how to pick up an item off the ground - which may or may not have fallen accidentally - while remembering to keep your legs closed to "avoid making the situation more vulgar."
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13313737/tv-show-slammed-sexy-shopping-segment/#

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13313737/tv-show-slammed-sexy-shopping-segment/
Had to be Italian. Have you seen their football coverage?!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
"Tips included how to pick up an item off the ground - which may or may not have fallen accidentally - while remembering to keep your legs closed to "avoid making the situation more vulgar."
:lol:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
TV show slammed for bizarre ‘how to shop sexily’ segment for women, telling them to ‘arch backs’ as they reach for beans

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13313737/tv-show-slammed-sexy-shopping-segment/#

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/13313737/tv-show-slammed-sexy-shopping-segment/
What is sexist about that? I always arch my back and kick out one leg when I get something from the top shelf. My wife has been trying to get me to stop for years.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Finally, a voice for the oppressed.

Try the Australian solution. Leader of the opposition leads a years long sexist onslaught again our female PM including this low point.

That led to this.

Once Abbott became PM he sorted this stuff out by making himself Minister for Women. True talk.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Try the Australian solution. Leader of the opposition leads a years long sexist onslaught again our female PM including this low point.

That led to this.

Once Abbott became PM he sorted this stuff out by making himself Minister for Women. True talk.
It's pretty sad that he went on to become Prime Minister after this speech, and his party has held power for 7 years. Australia is pretty cool in many ways, but in other ways it's sadly very similar to the US and the UK.

Red_toad

That led to this.

Remember the first time I ever saw him getting interviewed as leader of the opposition, I thought to myself, he'll never be the PM, surely the electorate aren't that stupid. But what do i know :lol:
Gillard had many good qualities as PM, shame she failed. Very happy to see Abbott out of politics, he was a dinosaur.