Has political correctness actually gone mad?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Strange choice of thread to post that tweet. Isn’t there a dedicated Shapiro et al thread to laugh at his inane nonsense.
Was too lazy to go to page 2 of ce and find the culture war or Peterson or Shapiro thread

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Anger that name of moth 99.9% of DM readers had never heard of before and now considered derogatory is changed.

Now MOTHS are racist! Scientists officially rename gypsy moth 'spongy moth' because its old moniker is a derogatory term for Romani people

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...oth-old-derogatory-term.html#article-10575509

Best rated comment:

Izzie2017,
Austin, United States,

Enough already with this insanity!
Worst rated comment:

MustaBeenAGhostThen,
West Hollywood, United States,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/reportAbuseInComment.html?articleId=10575509&commentId=817894677
It never ceases to amaze me how much people care about holding on to derogatory terms. When they change something that's derogatory it doesn't make me upset nor do I thank the gods of cancel culture. I just dont get why people let themselves get riled up about the removal of derogatory terms. The only thing I can think of is that they aren't aware of how inappropriate a term is because they're comfortable with using it. There certainly are some terms we all used in the 80's that are totally cringe now and rightfully so.

Jippy

Staff
Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Literally the Principal Skinner meme… and at least two different Grampa Simpson memes.

Society overlapping your own person brand of progressivism as you age is how it’s supposed to work.

The hubris of famous old liberals to think progress peaked with them is as inevitable as the ever decreasing age of their wives.

Last edited:

fergieisold

In this longer version he does the joke then immediately provides his idea of a justification for doing it:

The quality bit is the joke about the Jehovahs witnesses.

I swear half the people moaning about these kind of jokes never actually watch it. They just catch on to the outrage in the "liberal" media and start frothing at the mouth. They're as bad as the gammons moaning about immigration.

Jippy

Staff
Quit yer moaning about such trivialities as hate crimes, there's a war going on you woke snowflakes.

The Ukraine war is a wake-up call to woke Britain – we can no longer obsess over micro-aggressions amid real aggression

Will a generation brought up on “microaggressions” and “hate crimes” experience any jolt now that our continent is seeing real aggression and actual war crimes?

Will we finally get our damn priorities in order? You might certainly hope so.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17973158/ukraine-war-wake-woke-britain/

Jippy

Staff
If you don't laugh, you'll cry.
It actually gets worse, saying the war is a good advert for nationalism...er, yeah, not the nasty Russian sort.

But the war might also remind us of the need for nationalism. Of good, decent faith in the nation state, of the kind that has distinguished Britain throughout history...Nationalism certainly can turn ugly, as Putin is showing us.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The quality bit is the joke about the Jehovahs witnesses.

I swear half the people moaning about these kind of jokes never actually watch it. They just catch on to the outrage in the "liberal" media and start frothing at the mouth. They're as bad as the gammons moaning about immigration.
I don't know how people could get offended by that joke. I mean he explains the whole thing including highlighting that gypsies were subject to mass murdered, which was the point of the joke (the bit that offended). Surely nobody who watched the clip could think for a moment that he was glorifying or diminishing the seriousness of the holocaust? Odd that people got offended at the gypsies reference but were quite happy with the idea of JW's inviting themselves in for a shower?

fergieisold

I don't know how people could get offended by that joke. I mean he explains the whole thing including highlighting that gypsies were subject to mass murdered, which was the point of the joke (the bit that offended). Surely nobody who watched the clip could think for a moment that he was glorifying or diminishing the seriousness of the holocaust? Odd that people got offended at the gypsies reference but were quite happy with the idea of JW's inviting themselves in for a shower?
If we were going to look for things to be offended by I'd have thought the JW bit would have been more of a target for sure!

LDUred

Yes, it has.

With the case of Lia Thomas, it is being framed as a 'transphobia' issue, but really it's a question of ensuring a level playing field, particularly for natal females.

Because anyone can see from looking at Lia Thomas that she has evident physical advantages over her competitors, on point reactions to the story evoke 'The Emperor's New Clothes': people have to forego what their common sense is telling them in order to strike the right note.

But anyone who has taken part in strength or endurance-related sports will know that having athletes who went through puberty as biological males compete alongside females makes no sense at all. Anyone who even lifts weights at the gym will know that next to an average female, what they lift, row, and press is far in excess of females, even though there will be a number of females (usually active in competitive weight-lifting) who can go higher than them. In the same way that guys above 180 cm will deadlift more than guys below 180 cm, there are innate advantages to simply being born a male, or being tall, or simply having genetics conducive to lifting.

Yes, Lia Thomas has had to take various hormones in order to transition but the fact is that it is impossible to quantify to what extent that has diminished the advantage that she would have held at the outset of her transition.

It should not be framed as an issue relating to transphobia (even though transphobes do get involved in the debate) but it's a simple question of what biological males and females are, which also affects males within the group itself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes, it has.

With the case of Lia Thomas, it is being framed as a 'transphobia' issue, but really it's a question of ensuring a level playing field, particularly for natal females.

Because anyone can see from looking at Lia Thomas that she has evident physical advantages over her competitors, on point reactions to the story evoke 'The Emperor's New Clothes': people have to forego what their common sense is telling them in order to strike the right note.

But anyone who has taken part in strength or endurance-related sports will know that having athletes who went through puberty as biological males compete alongside females makes no sense at all. Anyone who even lifts weights at the gym will know that next to an average female, what they lift, row, and press is far in excess of females, even though there will be a number of females (usually active in competitive weight-lifting) who can go higher than them. In the same way that guys above 180 cm will deadlift more than guys below 180 cm, there are innate advantages to simply being born a male, or being tall, or simply having genetics conducive to lifting.

Yes, Lia Thomas has had to take various hormones in order to transition but the fact is that it is impossible to quantify to what extent that has diminished the advantage that she would have held at the outset of her transition.

It should not be framed as an issue relating to transphobia (even though transphobes do get involved in the debate) but it's a simple question of genetics, which also affects males within the group itself.
Shouldn’t this post be in the Transgender Athletes thread?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I've never read anything about all this to have any kind of cultured opinion.

When people got upset at white girls dressing as Pokohontis for Halloween I thought that made some sense. Most people in the US can't tell one tribe of Native Americans from another, and have some generic idea of what all "Indians" are like. The cheap plastic mass produced costume, destined to be thrown away, seemed symbolic of the lack of respect in evidence.

Should all the white people in the US abandon all cultural contributions of black people?

Am I wrong to wear a flat brim hat?

stw2022

Being told that genital preference is a form of discrimination seems to be something now. Increasingly gay people are accused of bigotry or transphobia if they refuse to accept sexual attraction to those who have transitioned into the appropriate gender

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Being told that genital preference is a form of discrimination seems to be something now. Increasingly gay people are accused of bigotry or transphobia if they refuse to accept sexual attraction to those who have transitioned into the appropriate gender
Are they though

Jippy

Staff
How do you mean? I don't quite follow the 'refuse to accept sexual attraction those who've transitioned' part?