Has Ronaldo ruined his legacy for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I always had a feeling he never really had that much of an affinity with us even before 2006 when he went from inconsistent showboat to ruthless, pacy forward. I always gravitated towards Rooney back then. In the back of my mind, I knew he’d leave but just not as soon as he did.

His love for United is more like his love for Ferguson, who has been like a surrogate father to him certainly in terms of his playing career. He shares that unshakable desire to win that Ferguson had.

I’ll admit it was a nostalgic moment to see him back and perform at a decent level last season, but we should have just cut ties in the summer, so we didn’t have to see what we’re seeing now. A man who might have the ultimate mentality for individual sport stuck in a team sport.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of you have absolutely no perspective. What’s he done? Stormed off a few times? He was doing that in his first spell and was wanked off by United fans for years after leaving!!! Then there’s the legends like Scholes who refused to play for the club, Giggs who has absolutely no morals. Stop obsessing over Ronaldo.

Real Name

George Best. Some of his behaviour was on another scale but we still look at him as a legend and rightly so.

End of the day you can agree or disagree with his status but his name will be heard around OT for years to come, particularly after he has retired, alongside other legends like Best, Keane, Cantona, RVN, Ole and many others.
Hopefully not.

What Best did he did of the pitch, nothing to do with his club status as a legend.

He cant go into the same sentence as players mentioned in your posts.

JB7

Hopefully not.

What Best did he did of the pitch, nothing to do with his club status as a legend.

He cant go into the same sentence as players mentioned in your posts.
In what world was not turning up for games and, according to his manager, turning up drunk not bringing his behaviour into the club?

You can't apply one standard to one and another to another to suit your agenda. Both behaved abysmally at times but both are legends of the club.

As are many others who have behaved poorly over the years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nah no way. Maradona was largely shite and troubled during later stage of his career, but Argentinian people/Napoli fans still worshipped him like God. Cantona cost us literally a title by getting banned kicking a fan on the stands, he is still king of Old Trafford. Legend will always be legend even they are going through all their troubles/downfall.

Spoony

The People's President
Nah no way. Maradona was largely shite and troubled during later stage of his career, but Argentinian people still worshipped him like God. Cantona cost us literally a title by getting banned kicking a fan on the stands, he is still king of Old Trafford. Legend will always be legend even they are going through all their troubles/downfall.
Ronaldo has never been worshipped by United fans. He's a Real legend and an utter cnut.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ronaldo has never been worshipped by United fans. He's a Real legend and an utter cnut.
People sang viva ronaldo in the last game and cheered for him when SAF presented him an award. For normies United fans, maybe millions of them around the world, Ronaldo is a United legend.

Thats why its dumb for him to constantly make bad headlines when the window has been closed and nobody wanted him. Just need to shut up and enjoy the stupidly huge wages.

Real Name

In what world was not turning up for games and, according to his manager, turning up drunk not bringing his behaviour into the club?

You can't apply one standard to one and another to another to suit your agenda. Both behaved abysmally at times but both are legends of the club.

As are many others who have behaved poorly over the years.
Love how you wrote that conclusievly.

Both are not legends of the club.

Kostov

What legacy? Of a player that ratted on his team mate in World Cup game? A selfish prick who has always been all about himself and did everything possible to leave shitting on our club and our legendary manager? Sorry but apart from the blinded CR7 fanboys, he has always been the same hypocrite twat and personally I never liked him. He is not fit to lace Rooney's boots when it comes to being a club legend.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Reporters should ask Rooney, he never has trouble telling it like it is even if it's involving Ronaldo. Rio, Neville, Evra, Keane all have some weird inferiority complex with Ronaldo that they all excuse his every behavior, pretend he does no wrong and hasn't declined, all because they probably want to keep a good relationship with an all time great like Ronaldo so won't speak the truth. Rooney's never really cared about that.

Ludens the Red

Some of you have absolutely no perspective. What’s he done? Stormed off a few times? He was doing that in his first spell and was wanked off by United fans for years after leaving!!! Then there’s the legends like Scholes who refused to play for the club, Giggs who has absolutely no morals. Stop obsessing over Ronaldo.
Honestly mate, some absolute snowflakes on here. I dread to think what would have happened if the cafe was around in the days of Best turning up smashed to games. To Keane and Schmeichel smashing each others faces in or as you said Scholes who literally refused to play and told Sir Alex to his face he wouldn’t play in a league cup game. Or maybe Roy Keane slagging off his team mates in 2006. Or you know Cantona kicking someone in the face and being banned for nine months. Or Wayne Rooney walking into Sie Alex’s office and telling him the team was too shit and he needed to bring better players in. But oh no Ronaldo walked down the tunnel with five minutes left. Legendary status now shattered.

Honestly people on here need to get a fecking grip. He acted like a brat, big fecking deal.

norm87cro

Ill be honest I always thought he was a bit of a tit even back in 08 to 09. That being said I always respected his efforts for Portugal. The guy is honestly a patriot. But showing how much CLs YOU HAVE actually won despite playing for United and Real sums you up

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Can’t stand him and didn’t like him since his last year with us the first time around.

This season starting with his summer antics have been nothing short of disgraceful.

Hester_manc

Yea, it is ruined for me. I wish he had never come back to us. My only worry is this; If his son is going to be just half as good as Ronaldo, I would really want him (the son) to stay. But that will never happen now, I think.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Reporters should ask Rooney, he never has trouble telling it like it is even if it's involving Ronaldo. Rio, Neville, Evra, Keane all have some weird inferiority complex with Ronaldo that they all excuse his every behavior, pretend he does no wrong and hasn't declined, all because they probably want to keep a good relationship with an all time great like Ronaldo so won't speak the truth. Rooney's never really cared about that.
Well if Ronaldo left earlier, Rooney would have become our main star and a better forward too. I'd even say we sacrificed some of Rooney's talent to accomodate Ronaldo's development. So its normal if Rooney never sees Ronaldo like some sort of a footballing god. Other ones you mentioned werent as talented as Rooney, who was a wonderkid himself.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Now that’s stupid way of saying. Maybe not by most, but still by many millions of United fans out there.

Real Name

Yes, Rio, Neville, Evra adoring Ronaldo so much to the point of speaking nonsense is really strange.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes. But then I remembered during Fergie final year here, Rooney relationship with the gaffer has turned soured, and he doesn’t really want to give the boss a big hug like everyone else during farewell ceremony. It seems to me he just doesn’t care keeping good relationship with anyone.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Even in his prime, he was loyal to Fergie rather than the club. He begrudgingly stuck around to pay back his father figure but he's never really given a shit about us. I honestly couldn't care less what stats are thrown around, I want something extra from a great player if I'm going to start calling them a club legend. We've had loads of top, top players. They weren't all legends.

Someone like Harry Gregg, who pulled teammates from the wreckage at Munich, or Robson, who stuck with us despite us being beneath him in terms of quality, deserve the accolade. Not some preening egotistical tit who barely gives a passing thought to anything but his own legacy. Feck him and his weird band of teenage stans.

Shimo

No but, it unfortunately will always stick with me now on how it ended. Still one of the greatest ever and that won't change with how he is choosing to go out. In a way it's admirable, the fight to not give up and still want to be one of the best at this age.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not at all, not for me at least.

Cavani was also a legendary striker, but it was club's decision to go after players at the end of their career, same with Ronaldo who will always be legend. This one's on the club and it's terrible assessment about managers and their decisions on certain players.

bosnian_red

Yes. But then I remembered during Fergie final year here, Rooney relationship with the gaffer has turned soured, and he doesn’t really want to give the boss a big hug like everyone else during farewell ceremony. It seems to me he just doesn’t care keeping good relationship with anyone.
Which is fair enough, Rooney seems to be a bit cut-throat and just honest with his opinions. He also struggled to accept his decline at first (when Sir Alex first wasn't using him as a key player anymore), happens to everyone, but he handled it much better over time especially.

bosnian_red

Not at all, not for me at least.

Cavani was also a legendary striker, but it was club's decision to go after players at the end of their career, same with Ronaldo who will always be legend. This one's on the club and it's terrible assessment about managers and their decisions on certain players.
This has nothing to do with Ronaldo's lack of footballing ability at this point. 100% due to his behavior. A club can get a signing wrong, but it's on the players to be professional. What Ronaldo did was disgraceful, and 100% on Ronaldo. He's spat on the club, his teammates, and all the fans of the club by doing what he did. His failure to accept his decline will forever be a black spot on his legacy with United fans. You can be frustrated with your manager, ask to leave somewhere where you'll play, but you can never do what he did yesterday. That's kick out of dressing room worthy.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
No he's always been one of the greatest footballers ever to play the game and a massive twat to boot, the two aren't mutually exclusive just ask Diego Maradona (may god rest his soul).

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Absolutely. I can separate the fact that he was a brilliant player for us during his first spell. He even had his moments last season. He was always an absolute dick, but you could tolerate all that nonsense when he was the best player in the world. Any talk of him being a United legend however, is ludicrous.

Foxbatt

People who are comparing Best to Ronaldo have no clue. Best getting drunk and not turning up is different to Ronaldo leaving while the match is in progress.
Best has played on one leg many times for United. He is never egoistical like Ronaldo.
He has gone down in estimation for me as a United player. ETH should bench him now.
What can Ronaldo do? Throw up a stink? So what?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This has nothing to do with Ronaldo's lack of footballing ability at this point. 100% due to his behavior. A club can get a signing wrong, but it's on the players to be professional. What Ronaldo did was disgraceful, and 100% on Ronaldo. He's spat on the club, his teammates, and all the fans of the club by doing what he did. His failure to accept his decline will forever be a black spot on his legacy with United fans. You can be frustrated with your manager, ask to leave somewhere where you'll play, but you can never do what he did yesterday. That's kick out of dressing room worthy.
I hear ya mate and not denying, but look at this perspective - Greenwood's criminal case, Ronaldo leaving like a soap opera star, dressing room's Hulk wrestling Greek cops... to be honest, nothing is suprising. Ten Hag inherited kindergarten and Ronaldo for 90% of his career was flawless and actually achieved something of value along the road.

Hate to say it but this club produce chaos and negativity on it's own wish, then blames it on supporters. Mix Arnautović in it and we could have a totally new WWE federation inside the dressing room.

Idxomer

His legacy for United has been tainted the second he left at his peak for an inferior team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True. Although they're probably the same tits who are trying to defend his pathetic antics last night.

Irwin99

Not at all. He's always been a bit of a fanny and an egomaniac drama queen and I always thought he loved Sir Alex more than the club itself, however...

People get weirdly defensive and strange about what constitutes a 'legend' , like a player has to have the most impeccable behaviour and standards to be one when in actual act there's a lot of our legends have done some bad things on and off the pitch. Look at the player's achievements and longevity and then decide:

He's won 4 of our POTY awards in 8 seasons. The seasons between 06-09 were when we had the greatest player in the world at that time or at the very least a top 3 players. His performances in 06-07 and 07-08 were some of the greatest individual seasons I've ever seen a United player produce.

Is he an egomaniac drama queen? Yes! Am I glad he's been at the club and is he a legend? Yes! FFS we're talking about one of the greatest players of all time being at our club for seven and a half seasons and scoring 144 goals. His time is up here now though, anyone can see that.

el3mel

Nope.

If you're talking about his performance, he gave us one good season last year and scored some more memorable goals. He's not responsible for Ole and Ralf being crap. He's close to 38 years now, it's time his performance starts dropping.

If about his attitude, he has always been a brick when things don't go his way. He has always cared about himself only. Once you realize that and make peace with it, you stop caring about him throwing his usual tantrums. Well, you can't be a perfect human being in everything.

IWat

He's 37.. 37! and acting like a man-child. His strops could be condoned more when he was young and taking the world by storm.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Never, one of our best ever players. Just hasnt worked out coming back, it rarely does.
There's definitely something to it. Once upon a time certain king Kenny returned to Anfield to give United supporters best Redcafe threads ever.

Even this summer Ten Hag steered clear to sign Memphis again.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There's definitely something to it. Once upon a time certain king Kenny returned to Anfield to give United supporters best Redcafe threads ever.

Even this summer Ten Hag steered clear to sign Memphis again.
Just look at Bale going back to Tottenham, horrific. Can't think of many examples of players returning and it being a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.