Hating Lukaku

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No one really hates him. We are fickle United supporting football fans on a relatively anonymous forum and we need someone to blame. Our two biggest rivals won the PL and CL respectively.

Lukaku and Pogba were big money signings who we thought would perform better than they have done. Both have wanted moves away. Lukaku also hasn’t done himself any favours either with his recent social media musings. I think it has been difficult for players to love playing for United of late for obvious reasons. The atmosphere in general around United has also turned somewhat toxic so their is a disconnect between the team and fans imo. Scapegoat situations then become commonplace. We seem to hate most players on here if you read carefully :wenger::lol:.
Absolutely. Some more than others though :)

Litch

No one really hates him. We are fickle United supporting football fans on a relatively anonymous forum and we need someone to blame. Our two biggest rivals won the PL and CL respectively.

Lukaku and Pogba were big money signings who we thought would perform better than they have done. Both have wanted moves away. Lukaku also hasn’t done himself any favours either with his recent social media musings. I think it has been difficult for players to love playing for United of late for obvious reasons. The atmosphere in general around United has also turned somewhat toxic so their is a disconnect between the team and fans imo. Scapegoat situations then become commonplace. We seem to hate most players on here if you read carefully :wenger::lol:.
Pretty much it. Not his biggest fan but those goals he scored need to come from someone else this season. People need to be careful what they wish for as I'd rather he stayed if it means that money doesn't drops into the black hole of the owners pockets. I think Harry will be next as he's another one that divides opinions

Last edited:

roseguy64

Poor Rom, he’s been nothing but thoroughly professional this summer :(
He hasn't been. I'm sure this was sarcasm but will piggyback off this to state that I'm 95% sure he had the club's permission to train at Anderlecht. The pic being posted? That's a different thing.

Robbie Boy

He hasn't been. I'm sure this was sarcasm but will piggyback off this to state that I'm 95% sure he had the club's permission to train at Anderlecht. The pic being posted? That's a different thing.
Exactly. He’s been thoroughly unprofessional all summer.

Greck

There was a report while back that said Solskjaer and the rest of the coaching staff were alarmed at the disparity between how good Lukaku thought he was and how good he actually was. You can bet the players also felt that.
I can 100% believe this one because it shows on the pitch. This is a guy who gets angry with his teammates when he messes up a pass with poor technique. Reflects a lack of self awareness. Actually thinks he's outgrown us when he was never good enough to start with.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
This this THIS! ffs, it's not even subtle for some!
Some of you only remember the old Heskey but the early20s heskey was amazing to watch at times.
He offered much more to the game than Lukaku ever did. He could score outside the box, could bully defenders, amazingly fast for his stature,...

This was prime Heskey

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Last season was so poor that people have begun to overrate his first season with us, which was also pretty poor after the first couple months. Still, if he leaves he needs replacing. I’d not be surprised if he’s still here in September though, in which case we’ll have to make use of him and hope he can turn things around.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Lukaku was a huge huge part of the miracle night in Paris, one of the best days in recent club history, so theres always that
There's almost always moments that stand out with players. It's the rest of the time with ours.

Chinese Assassin

....personally i've always thought Rom is quite a decent fellow, remembering how he comforted Benfica's young goalie after a mistake when the other Benfica players walked away - i'll wish him well whoever he plays for next season and wouldn't mind in the slightest if it's United

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's probably the worst striker we've had here isn't he? SAF would have sold him on a cheap with the sort of attitude he's being exhibiting.

We should sell use the money, buy another striker when the winter window comes by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Having your main striker who can't control the ball and regularly goes 7 or 8 games without a goal is a big problem I'd say.

As is having your main striker never score against our main rivals.
Its only a 'problem' when one conveniently over looks the fact United have had only one wing functioning attack wise and only one creative center midfielder in the line up in those games. Creating next to nothing vs decently defensively organised opposition. Creating absolutely nothing for strikers in the biggest of games vs the top ones. Bar the PSG game which surprise surprise, Lukaku scored in ......

Djemba-Djemba

Its only a 'problem' when one conveniently over looks the fact United have had only one wing functioning attack wise and only one creative center midfielder in the line up in those games. Creating next to nothing vs decently defensively organised opposition. Creating absolutely nothing for strikers in the biggest of games vs the top ones. Bar the PSG game which surprise surprise, Lukaku scored in ......
Off the top of my head I can remember him missing absolute sitters last season at home to Spurs and away to Arsenal.

The Arsenal one in particular was on a plate about 5 yards from goal and he hit the bar.

We don't create loads no, but it's certainly not an excuse to have scored one goal in 2 years against Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Spurs.

Nori-

If it's true Inter are coming back with a £72m offer, just take it and run.

Yes, we would make a small loss but using that money to sign someone who suits our new style and can get us 30+ goals (hopeful) a season is worth it

Cloud7

He wouldn’t be half as annoying and dislikable as he is if he didn’t mouth off so much in interviews “I’m the manager’s sergeant, I’m so mentally tough, other players need to man up” etc etc and combine these sound bites with being one of the worst, and laziest players on the field.

Greck

He wouldn’t be half as annoying and dislikable as he is if he didn’t mouth off so much in interviews “I’m the manager’s sergeant, I’m so mentally tough, other players need to man up” etc etc and combine these sound bites with being one of the worst, and laziest players on the field.
He had it the easiest under Mourinho. Never got rotated when he was in disastrous form, never got berated for strolling, got protected even when he lost the ball. He tried to sound like some mentally tough soldier who was the only one thriving through Jose's boot camp when he was really just wrapped in cotton wool

cyril C

Pretty much it. Not his biggest fan but those goals he scored need to come from someone else this season. People need to be careful what they wish for as I'd rather he stayed if it means that money doesn't drops into the black hole of the owners pockets. I think Harry will be next as he's another one that div
Linking Pogba with Lukaku is careless or even disrespect. Pogba has always been HIMSELF so he will jump ship every 2 seasons. You can say whatever about him. Lukaku has been quiet and patience last season despite limited game time, he only wanted to leave because Ole told him he will not be #1 choice, is it his fault?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Off the top of my head I can remember him missing absolute sitters last season at home to Spurs and away to Arsenal.

The Arsenal one in particular was on a plate about 5 yards from goal and he hit the bar.

We don't create loads no, but it's certainly not an excuse to have scored one goal in 2 years against Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool and Spurs.
In 2 years we have created less than 5 clear cut chances for ANY of our strikers in the biggest games. Over 12 plus matches. And I'm talking for each individual who has played lead forward us in them games. But people just love to dream its only Lukaku who gets all the chances and misses them.

2cents

Scout
In 2 years we have created less than 5 clear cut chances for ANY of our strikers in the biggest games. Over 12 plus matches. And I'm talking for each individual who has played lead forward us in them games. But people just love to dream its only Lukaku who gets all the chances and misses them.
And yet both Rashford and Martial have managed to score more goals against top 6 rivals in those two years than Lukaku has, despite mostly being confined to supporting roles up front.

Litch

Linking Pogba with Lukaku is careless or even disrespect. Pogba has always been HIMSELF so he will jump ship every 2 seasons. You can say whatever about him. Lukaku has been quiet and patience last season despite limited game time, he only wanted to leave because Ole told him he will not be #1 choice, is it his fault?
Eh? With the utmost respect, don't know what you are on about?

Litch

And yet both Rashford and Martial have managed to score more goals against top 6 rivals in those two years than Lukaku has, despite mostly being confined to supporting roles up front.
No Brucey bonus from the league for scoring against top six. Was never sure what relevance to that stat as he could argue he's scored goals at the highest level of football - the World Cup. Not sure about supporting roles comments as neither are known for their assists or crossing. Yes the may play wide but Liverpool and City forwards seem to manage it? Rom's record shows he's a goalscorer no one can take that away from him just you can't ask him to do anything else. Belgium don't need to as they have quality over the rest of the pitch, we can't cause we don't, so we are going to do it in other ways. I like the pressing game but I'm not convinced that the forwards at the club currently will score enough goals. Man City, Arsenal and Spurs have a 20+ goal scorers, Chelsea and us have sold ours hoping that someone else will step up...

2cents

Scout
No Brucey bonus from the league for scoring against top six. Was never sure what relevance to that stat as he could argue he's scored goals at the highest level of football - the World Cup.
Well that is the discussion being had, and the defense of his big-game record on the basis that we don’t create or score in those matches falls flat when we consider the others’ records in those games, in which our record in the last two years isn’t actually awful and we’ve managed to score regularly enough. So that suggests to me Lukaku’s poor record against top-class opposition is likely more indicative of a lack of high quality on his part than anything else.

And the World Cup is not the highest level of football.

Delano

Well that is the discussion being had, and the defense of his big-game record on the basis that we don’t create or score in those matches falls flat when we consider the others’ records in those games, in which our record in the last two years isn’t actually awful and we’ve managed to score regularly enough. So that suggests to me Lukaku’s poor record against top-class opposition is likely more indicative of a lack of high quality on his part than anything else.

He's played 20 games and got 1 goal against the top 6 for us. He's also scored one goal in knockout international football (USA in the 2014 World Cup).

There's a common theme of him not turning up when it matters.

Litch

Big game record doesn't define anyone and if he only did it in the big games which is the opposite side to the coin, people would say he only gets up for the big games and his goal scoring record is poor against the teams he should score against. Im sorry, don't know what you are watching but in 45 years of watching Utd, I've never fallen asleep watching the game on TV or been in a box at OT, and rather watch the rugby than the game. Utd have been absolutely shocking over the last 6 years well before he came. Poor goalscoring record too. This is not the team of 99 and whilst Rom might not be the answer, he's not the problem either...

Not the World Cup, I give up.

Last edited:

Litch

He's played 20 games and got 1 goal against the top 6 for us. He's also scored one goal in knockout international football (USA in the 2014 World Cup).

There's a common theme of him not turning up when it matters.
You watched him against PSG and against Brazil right?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Does anyone find it surprising that he was Mourinho favourite?

Delano

You watched him against PSG and against Brazil right?
I did. He played well in both games, 2 goals and an assist.

But, that's still a very small percentage in the grand scheme of things. We should expect a lot more from our record signing.

2cents

Scout
Big game record doesn't define anyone
I agree it’s not the only quality a United forward must have, but the ability to pull something out of the bag in big games is something that all successful United forwards have demonstrated over the years, and it’s one of a few required elements to his game that Lukaku is lacking in.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
:lol: maybe want to have a look at their respective records in big games before making these types of comparisons
I have.. not stats but actually watching. pogba gives the ball away in dangerous areas regularly. but you go round with your blindfold on if you must, it doesn't change my life

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
....personally i've always thought Rom is quite a decent fellow, remembering how he comforted Benfica's young goalie after a mistake when the other Benfica players walked away - i'll wish him well whoever he plays for next season and wouldn't mind in the slightest if it's United
I think its best he moves on as it simply does not seem like he fits in at united - but I rate him as a striker because for somebody who apparently cant run, has no positional sense and a first touch comparable to carlton palmer he scores a lot of goals... which as a striker is for me the no1 criteria and anything else is a nice to have bonus - suspect he will score goals wherever he ends up and if he does go to inter I wouldnt be surprised to see him move on again in a season or two (back to chelsea once their transfer ban is up?)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Dickheads always find each other
For some reason I thought that you were a fan of both.:lol:

I think its best he moves on as it simply does not seem like he fits in at united - but I rate him as a striker because for somebody who apparently cant run, has no positional sense and a first touch comparable to carlton palmer he scores a lot of goals... which as a striker is for me the no1 criteria and anything else is a nice to have bonus - suspect he will score goals wherever he ends up and if he does go to inter I wouldnt be surprised to see him move on again in a season or two (back to chelsea once their transfer ban is up?)
The problem is that there is a difference between a good player like Lukaku and Chicharito who will score goals if you put them on the field week in week out and a very good/great striker who will score goals and provide all the intangible that you labelled as bonuses, these bonuses are the difference between Europa League and perennial CL contenders. They are the difference between Immobile/Lukaku and Harry Kane/Firmino, even someone like Aguero falls short from that standard.