Hats off to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has now become the face of anti-Superleague movement.

"We're not in it because we don't want to be part of it. We are happy to play in the Bundesliga, our bread and butter business. We are happy to make the Champions League".

"And we cannot forget our responsibility towards our fans, who are generally against such a competition. We also feel the responsibility towards football in general".

"We had been talking about it for 10 years but we always decided to keep the existing model. Then Covid damaged all of European football, especially the big clubs. Some clubs thought it was the right time to make a Super League. And a great mess has started".

With a billion in debt like Barcelona, is it more difficult to make certain choices?
"Fortunately we don't have such debts".

Was the choice of the English teams (to join the Super League) due to their American owners?
"Yes, because in Europe you spend a lot and maybe you don't win. In the US, they think first of all of earnings".
I've always admired how professional Bundesliga is and I believe that many people are going to follow Bayern after these days.

Hard to imagine that such a club would come so strong against such an idea, isn't it?

I know that our opinion will change and people will start following Super League anyway, but it's such a good thing to see that togetherness of one of the best leagues in the world.

I'm totally in love with them.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It is hugely important that Bayern stay on this path

Not having them in the Super League is a massive statement

Anduin

Rummenigge... not sure where to start TBH :lol: I'm convinced he'd love to be part of the ESL (if it ever exists), but he knows he won't be able to get a green light for this in a member assembly – nevermind the fan protests it would cause. The hypocrite. Bayern were always vocal and on the front to bully UEFA into a more "big club-friendly" Champions League scheme. I don't believe a word of the PR they are sending out now.
Regardless, good to see the Bundesliga staying together, for whatever reason.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hats off to Bayern. I’d be proud as feck now if I was a fan. Proper club. Top to bottom.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Go on Bayern. Whatever people might think of them, they respect the tradition of Football and its important they hold firm. The best run club in world football in the best run league.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
"The important thing now is to resume a certain dialogue. My hope is to still find a solution, because the Super League damages all European football. And we must avoid it!".

"The solution is to reduce costs. With the Super League, the clubs are trying to solve the problem of debts, which have worsened with the pandemic. But the solution cannot be to collect more and more money and pay more and more players and agents."

We need to reduce things a bit, not put more on the table. We have exaggerated with the expenses: everyone, without exception. It's time to be less arrogant".

On Agnelli: "Unfortunately I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't reach him on the phone. I don't know his motives and without knowing them I don't want to criticize him. Maybe there is a reason I don't know: maybe we can talk to each other and understand better".

"The market exploded after Neymar's transfer, but we were already on the wrong path and it's not the fault of UEFA and FIFA. Now we have a big chance to find solutions and return to more rational football."

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Kudos to Bayern. Hated them with a passion for as long as I can remember but credit where credit is due.

acnumber9

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has now become the face of anti-Superleague movement.

I've always admired how professional Bundesliga is and I believe that many people are going to follow Bayern after these days.

Hard to imagine that such a club would come so strong against such an idea, isn't it?

I know that our opinion will change and people will start following Super League anyway, but it's such a good thing to see that togetherness of one of the best leagues in the world.

I'm totally in love with them.
Easy for those cnuts, dominating their tin pot league buying up any rival player they desire. I’d take his pontificating with a pinch of salt too.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The decline in football was more to do with teams on these shores than the Neymar transfer imo. Teams paying exuberant prices (at the time) for average players in the hope of catching up to the bigger teams had a massive effect of transfer fees around Europe
He hates Neymar transfer. Always brings it up.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Meeh, if you think Bayern have anything else than their own interest in mind you are naive..

Varun1

Rummenigge... not sure where to start TBH :lol: I'm convinced he'd love to be part of the ESL (if it ever exists), but he knows he won't be able to get a green light for this in a member assembly – nevermind the fan protests it would cause. The hypocrite. Bayern were always vocal and on the front to bully UEFA into a more "big club-friendly" Champions League scheme. I don't believe a word of the PR they are sending out now.
Exactly, he would love to join but he won't get the green light from Bayern's stakeholders.
I can't post links but try this in Google "Rummenigge urges UEFA to change Champions League draw format".

hobbers

To be clear, they're not in it because of their ownership model, not because of Rummenigge. He'd probably have signed up if he had the voting rights to override the fans.

Chairman Steve

The cynic in me suspects ulterior motives, ranging from:

• Wishing to remain the king of the pond in German football where they arguably have unfair advantage anyway
  • Would like to do it but are constrained by German ownership laws
  • “The cut they’re offering us isn’t enough so pay us more and we’ll consider it again”

I find it hard to take anything these major football figures say at face value, especially when moneys involved.

Boavista

Kalle Rummenigge, CEO of Bayern Munich and Agnelli's predecessor at the helm of the ECA: why did it come to this?

"We had been talking about it for ten years and we always decided to keep the existing model. Then the coronavirus damaged all of European football, especially the big teams, which lost a lot without fans at the stadium. Some clubs thought it was a good time to make a Super League. And a big mess was born...".

The methods are striking. President Ceferin had very harsh words against Agnelli, what do you think?

"I am sorry that what happened happened, because they have always had a friendly relationship and have collaborated well. The important thing now is to resume a certain dialogue. My hope is that we can still find a solution, because the Super League damages all of European football. And we have to avoid that.

What is the solution?

"The solution is to reduce costs. With the Super League the clubs are trying to solve the problem of debts, which have worsened with the pandemic. But the way cannot be to collect more and more and pay more and more players and agents. We need to cut back a bit, not put more on the table. We have overspent: everyone, no one excluded. It's time to make football less arrogant.

Is bringing forward the Super Champions League a possibility?

"No, the 2024 one cannot be brought forward because the marketing rights have been sold. The reforms are confirmed from 2024: on Friday, even Agnelli agreed.

Doesn't it seem serious to you that the president is working against the interests of the association he represents?

"Unfortunately I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't get him on the phone. I don't know his motivations and without knowing them I don't want to criticise him. Maybe there's a reason I don't know: maybe I can talk to him and understand it better.

Are you surprised that Inter are joining the Super League as well as Juve and AC Milan?

"There are rumours that Inter have big financial problems and maybe they think they can solve them this way. The revenue they are talking about for the Super League seems enormous, but I don't know if in the long run the problems will be solved. I don't believe that. You can't collect more and more money to compensate for the expenses.

UEFA has also made its mistakes, don't you think?

"The market exploded in the year of Neymar, but we were already on the wrong track and it is not the fault of UEFA and FIFA. Now we have a great opportunity to find solutions to return to a more rational football. All companies in Italy, Japan, Germany or the USA think about reducing costs: only in football do they think they can solve everything by increasing revenue.

Do you expect to play in the Champions League in August without Real, Juventus and Liverpool?

"I sincerely hope not, I find it hard to imagine. Without twelve big teams, the competition is damaged.

Can you confirm that Bayern are not in the Super League?

"We're not in it because we don't want to be. We are happy to play in the Bundesliga, a 'bread and butter' business, as the English say. We are happy to play in the Champions League and we don't forget the responsibility towards our fans, who are generally against such a reform. And we also feel a responsibility towards football in general.

With a billion in debt like Barcelona, is it more difficult to make certain choices?

"We fortunately don't have these debts".

Is the choice of English teams due to American ownership?

"Yes, because in Europe you spend a lot and maybe you don't win. In the United States, the main thing is to make money.

Liverpool coach Klopp is a historical enemy of the Super League. If he were to come to Bayern it would be a symbolic blow, wouldn't it?

"We haven't decided on the coach yet, let's win the league first and then decide what to do. He has certainly spoken out against his club...".

Paxi

Easy for those cnuts, dominating their tin pot league buying up any rival player they desire. I’d take his pontificating with a pinch of salt too.
You mean like we used to do?

NK86

Yeah, it has got nothing to do with the 50+1 ownership model, but the upright nature of frickin Rummenigge.

Enigma_87

You know who
And from where this unsubstantial crap comes?

The biggest PR they are sending is not to be part of this scheme. You can spin it however you like but Bayern has always been a well ran club and deserve the respect for it.

NK86

You mean like we used to do?
You are so blinkered with your hatred for ESL, that you are not thinking it through. We NEVER had the kind of dominance over our domestic rivals as Bayern had. When was the last time we picked off a key player from our nearest rival, never mind doing it regularly. (RVP barely counts as Arsenal was not a title contender for almost a decade by then).

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Hats off to Bayern. I’d be proud as feck now if I was a fan. Proper club. Top to bottom.
Bayern play in a league they win very easily on a yearly basis and where the rest of clubs are happy to sell them their best players for peanuts.I can understand why Rumenigge would like to keep the status quo.

This is not about being a proper club or not, it is about politics and that's about it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Easy to see where we will all hang our hats if Utd move into the superleague
BVB? Gladbach? Frankfurt?

They need your support more than we do.

Isn't he one of the main proponents of this idea in the first place?
Don't think that's quite right.
I think he's been genuinely on the fence on it.

As CEO of one of the oligarchic clubs, he was surely involved in some of the plans, and to a degree the Bayern board are certainly flirting with it too. I can't kid myself over that.

But then he also used to be ECA chief for many years, and in this capacity he surely also felt more of a responsibility towards all the clubs he's representing than, let's say his successor Agnelli who decided to feck 98% of the clubs he's supposed to lobby for over in a clandestine plot to benefit the top 15.

And Rummenigge always has a moderating, appeasing, pandering side to him, which I think also stems from a helpless rest of a sense of responsibility.

Pricks, hypocrites and buffoons as our board tend to be, they also still have an instintive understanding of the sport as a sport as opposed a business. It's buried beneath the businessmen, but it's there.
I also think the point about deflating the bubble, instead of keeping to inflate it, is the important one, and it's the one I'm most glad about that they're stating it.

You're not wrong, but which is why structures and regulations matter, no?

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

Total respect for Bayern, if only we had a similar structure that had the fans at the forefront... :mad:

Dialogue is needed, but the lines that were crossed can't be forgiven. These greedy old demented owners deserve the biggest possible punishment and should be booted out of football forever.

mancan92

Even if bayen have some other motives it doesnt matter because they are on the right side of things so until they switch sides they should be commended for not bending.

Paxi

You are so blinkered with your hatred for ESL, that you are not thinking it through. We NEVER had the kind of dominance over our domestic rivals as Bayern had. When was the last time we picked off a key player from our nearest rival, never mind doing it regularly. (RVP barely counts as Arsenal was not a title contender for almost a decade by then).
We’ve constantly tried to sign the best talent PL over the years decades. Maybe not to extent that Bayern do it.. We did do it though. Where you think Andy Cole, Sheringham, Ferdinand and many others come from? The academy?

Boavista

I think some are being too cynical here. If the ESL actually takes off it will be difficult for any club to reject the invitation, that's the nature of capitalism; eat or be eaten. But Rummenige talks a lot of sense here. You can't continuously compensate for costs spiraling out of control by chasing revenue, no matter the damage it causes to the game.

The super league simply isn't the answer to the problems the game is facing. For that matter neither is the new CL reform.

On top of that, doesn't it seem that not a single ex football player or manager supports this idea, or am I missing someone? It's all the corporate owners and CEO's who were never actively involved in the game. From that angle, I don't find it so hard to believe that Rummenigge doesn't support this closed shop tournament.

NK86

We’ve constantly tried to sign the best talent PL over the years decades. Maybe not to extent that Bayern do it.. We did do it though. Where you think Andy Cole, Sheringham, Ferdinand and many others come from? The academy?
Did they come from our direct and fiercest rivals, like Bayern does with cherry picking Dortmund's talents? Or do you think Lewandowski is a Bayern player since the day he has learnt to kick football?
You are either being obtuse on purpose or as I said earlier, too riled up by the ESL to think calmly about this. There was a reason they were called Hollywood FC.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's not like they had any choice to be fair, which is why I treat his comments as nothing more than PR.

Sweet Square

Ah I hate that the Super League will kill competition........also pretty please can we be like Bayern Munich and win the next 8 PL titles and buy our rivals best players!

If you're idea of a well run club and league is Bayren Munich in the bundesliga then I'm not sure why you are against the SL tbh. Unless it's because Gary Neville said to be on the telly.