Have we signed anyone ELSE yet? 2023/2024 season

tomaldinho1

Nobody can't really know. The takeover shouldn't be able to change our 2023 summer transfer window at all, as the FFP restrictions still stay and we can't just bypass them.
Depends, with how obviously City bypassed rules, if Qatar are successful we could just announce a sponsor with a company like Qatar Airways for added income and then keep renegotiating it in the background to be an ever increasing sum (as illegal as it sounds ((and should be)) you can actually do this and the Athletic reported City did it at least 4 times with Etihad)

moodyred

They will probably come out and say "Martial is like a new signing". Only to have him injured for a number or months after scoring one or two.

Shinjch

Think we should all be braced for a very frustrating window.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They will probably come out and say "Martial is like a new signing". Only to have him injured for a number or months after scoring one or two.
How can you say that...

We all know Van De Beek will be the "like a new signing"

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think there will be any major incomings (and therefore no outgoings) until the takeover is sorted. May as well close this forum down for now?

croadyman

I don’t think there will be any major incomings (and therefore no outgoings) until the takeover is sorted. May as well close this forum down for now?
Yeah so despite reports suggesting not clearly transfer activity is being affected by it

Andy_Cole

Anyone doing a sweepstakes on when we will sign our first player?

I’m going for Mount 20th July. Glazers still owners.

castorcito

Being a United fan during the summer reminds me of playing the oldest versions of Championship Manager, when you had a maximum squad size. You can't sign anyone because you can't sell any of the players you've had transfer listed for 3 seasons. You have to wait until the oldest git in your squad retires, but then he decides he wants a contract extension for another 2 years at the ripe age of 34, meanwhile his average rating has been plummeting. You can't let players go for free because it wasn't written into the game yet, so they are put on a rolling contract. Then when your boy finally retires the game promotes a youth product into your team in the same summer, but he has pants stats.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Don't worry lads, we have Murtough. He did wonders with women team, remember?:D

Blimey, only we can replace one dross (Ed) with bigger dross.

TsuWave

Said it yesterday in a different thread, but it feels like we have the same summer every summer.

It's going to be long.

AndySmith1990

Said it yesterday in a different thread, but it feels like we have the same summer every summer.

It's going to be long.
We have the same summer every time we qualify for the CL. We spend more when we fall out of the top 4

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It's going to be long.
Fans, pundits and journos are saying for months how United will make 10 transfers (ins and out) this summer. :lol:
We will be lucky if we bring two and sell two.

Lux Thunder

As things stand, our very first signings could be two players that showed they can make it against City in the CL Finals - Mount and Onana. :nervous:

Big Andy

Bloke
Other than the Mount stuff, there's no real concrete links to players like there usually is. There's the tenuous links the press put out, but no real ongoing De Jong style saga. Pre-season starts in about 2/3 weeks and for once, I'd like to have any new players in from the start so that they can bed in, rather than them signing in fecking August and missing the first few games.

Zed 101

Anyone know what is happening with Sabitzer? I still think and sub £20m he is a great option especially if we can jettison Fred and McT

doomy20

Anyone know what is happening with Sabitzer? I still think and sub £20m he is a great option especially if we can jettison Fred and McT
Seems as Bayern is stubborn so far. But yes, for around 20M Utd would be absolutely braindead to not sign him. We need those kind of players who are happy with the bench role but ready to perform whenever needed.

glasgow 21

Seems as Bayern is stubborn so far. But yes, for around 20M Utd would be absolutely braindead to not sign him. We need those kind of players who are happy with the bench role but ready to perform whenever needed.
So we would throw £20m at a 29year old as its a kinda a free hit?. Yet we wont fill our Varane cover issue with Sutalo 22 for probably the same or less ?.

doomy20

So we would throw £20m at a 29year old as its a kinda a free hit?. Yet we wont fill our Varane cover issue with Sutalo 22 for probably the same or less ?.
We basically got a free test run with the loan and know exactly what we will get. For a back up role and 20-25M this is perfect. Robost, down to earth, good age, good presser. But yes, club seems to be clueless rn so I don’t expect it to be done. Same with the defenders, why pass on Kim etc

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does feel a bit ominous. I know it’s early but all the reports of us being limited by budget combined with what clubs are asking for is concerning.

Doesn’t seem like we have an actual strategy for transfers yet again.
How can you effectively strategise when you don’t really know what your budget or & clubs are asking for fee + United tax on top.
im sure that United thought that 45-50 was fair for Mount, same for Hojlund, etc
It’s just a shit show. But the fingers should be pointed at the owners

glasgow 21

Seems we are in a financial whirlwind. They Glazers didn't spend in Jan as "They are selling the club" we removed 500,000 a week of the wage bill and ETH was thrown 2 loans moves in areas we were desperately short. Now we are the summer window what exactly has changed ? It's apparent we are not buying anyone of note unless we shift players. The 100m or so we have for budget is being held back for a go at a striker. We buy Mount that leaves 45m plus sales. If we don't sell we are in bother this summer. I don't see any change from the nonsense in Jan. Until Glazers are gone this club it's done for a top 4.

I will say it now the bait online is to quell the fans. This is a rinse and repeat for the summer. We are not getting any of the Tier One choices. If the transfer team don't move to lock in tier 2/3 players now we will end up desperate and rinse a repeat of over paying and higher wages on players that we will want to shift further down the line with difficulty.

glasgow 21

We basically got a free test run with the loan and know exactly what we will get. For a back up role and 20-25M this is perfect. Robost, down to earth, good age, good presser. But yes, club seems to be clueless rn so I don’t expect it to be done. Same with the defenders, why pass on Kim etc
We don't have the money for KIM how can you not see this. Which is why i ask why spend a 1/5 of the budget on a 29 year old who at best is average.

kirk buttercup

Anyone doing a sweepstakes on when we will sign our first player?

I’m going for Mount 20th July. Glazers still owners.
Onana for me . Who knows when, We support United it's not like signings happen quickly. For a long time I have thought this is intentionally done to keep us in the papers and reported on daily.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We're going to spend way too long on Mount then spend the rest of the summer scrambling for any old squad filler because .aim targets will be at other clubs and we will be paying a premium figure for it too.

Catalandevil

I feel we have a clear strategy for the first time in ages. I believe ETH wants to play with two #8s in the team. This means that we want to press higher up the pitch and that we need a CB and GK that are press resistant and that can cover large areas of space.

Mount is one of the best #8 we can buy. Probably the best one. Under that formation, we also ensure more goals from midfield, thus reducing the need for a top striker. Onana is one of the best GK around with the ball in his feet, and he is not afraid of covering large areas of space if needed. Thus, he makes perfect sense.

The CB that we have been linked to us are CBs that are press resistant and that can defend higher up in the pitch. This also makes sense.

This formation will also bring the best out of Sancho and Antony, since it will enable their interlink play. However, this new setup will be heavily dependent on Casemiro. We will need to sign a decent back up because no one in the squad can replace him. Finding a back-up for him would be even more important than a new CB.

We haven’t signed anyone yet, but at least the names linked to us make sense in this new formation.

zaafi

Caicedo, Mount, Onana and Højlund and I'll be thrilled. It'd be great with another CB and KMJ would be ideal, but I think getting Caicedo in along with a new keeper who can build from the back and a striker is more important.

I think Caicedo is unlikely, but the rest are realistic.

OrcaFat

How can we sign anyone? I’m not saying this because I’m in a bad mood but nobody wants to sell to us. For a long time clubs keep saying “no” until we walk away or pay over the odds. The result is we never get a player for a good price, really.

Am I wrong?

Casemiro was arguably decent value but it was a big fee for a 30-year-old.

I suppose Bruno was not a rip off.

Seems we mostly get stung or end up empty handed. Maybe it is because I’m in a bad mood.

Fooza

How can we sign anyone? I’m not saying this because I’m in a bad mood but nobody wants to sell to us. For a long time clubs keep saying “no” until we walk away or pay over the odds. The result is we never get a player for a good price, really.

Am I wrong?

Casemiro was arguably decent value but it was a big fee for a 30-year-old.

I suppose Bruno was not a rip off.

Seems we mostly get stung or end up empty handed. Maybe it is because I’m in a bad mood.
I agree, it is tiring.

Chelsea bend over City's cheap price for Kovacic but keep rejecting us because they want more. I understand different players and whether City pay 'extra' behind close doors I don't really care, but they do seem to get deals done efficiently, but it's always a chore with us.

We will leave it late again in the window, and we will overpay again out of desperation. it is the utd way.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Has all the characteristics of a classic United summer so far.

No clear strategy
Failed pursuits
A million players linked
Protracted negotiations
Chasing shadows

lex talionis

I feel we have a clear strategy for the first time in ages. I believe ETH wants to play with two #8s in the team. This means that we want to press higher up the pitch and that we need a CB and GK that are press resistant and that can cover large areas of space.

Mount is one of the best #8 we can buy. Probably the best one. Under that formation, we also ensure more goals from midfield, thus reducing the need for a top striker. Onana is one of the best GK around with the ball in his feet, and he is not afraid of covering large areas of space if needed. Thus, he makes perfect sense.

The CB that we have been linked to us are CBs that are press resistant and that can defend higher up in the pitch. This also makes sense.

This formation will also bring the best out of Sancho and Antony, since it will enable their interlink play. However, this new setup will be heavily dependent on Casemiro. We will need to sign a decent back up because no one in the squad can replace him. Finding a back-up for him would be even more important than a new CB.

We haven’t signed anyone yet, but at least the names linked to us make sense in this new formation.
Intriguing analysis.

No matter what the strategy, tactics and personnel may be to implement the manager's vision it seems to me that a manager has to have a capable striker. Maybe not a Harry Kane world class striker, but someone who lives for the hunt around the penalty box. It is in the end all about which side scores more goals. If you have a great defense, 1 goal will do, thank you very much...but to put in a proper challenge for the PL title we really need to be averaging around 2.25 goals per game and we're never going to get there without a striker.

zaafi

How are we not in for Brozovic for £22/23m? He's an excellent #6 and can also play 8. Great passer, insane work rate and press resistant. We should do everything we can to get him here. Too bad it won't happen.

Dominos

We really are impossibly slow in everything we do. It's the same every summer so I'm not even buying that it's the ownership issue, we've placed bids for Mount so clearly we can at least make 1 signing, and we can certainly sell.

Stage 1: "The transfer window isn't even open yet, don't panic"
Stage 2: "The transfer window has only just opened, have a little patience"
Stage 3: "The season hasn't started yet, we've still got time"
Stage 4: "The season may have started but the window is still open, these deals take time to complete"

Gurtej

Are we the worse club in the world who just doesn’t know how to get rid of players? Or is there another one in front of the queue?

Is it simply a matter of not having people who can execute or are we too nice?

Irrespective of who the new owner is, forget about big transfers and stuff. The very first thing we need to do is build a footballing structure with knowledgeable people…Learn what City did (yes I know they have dodgy ways of financing)… I am referring to bringing in right people to identify targets and sell them at the right time as well…

Given our financial pull, we can do this without the need to play with grey areas.

I wouldn’t mind another couple of years of finishing outside CL places if it means we spend these years in establishing a proper working model and start doing our homework for year 2025.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Has all the characteristics of a classic United summer so far.

No clear strategy
Failed pursuits
A million players linked
Protracted negotiations
Chasing shadows
It’s going to be worse than usual. I think the restrictions are nobbling us big time