Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskeano

Based on ? I haven't seen anything trustworthy regarding those 2. Only the report of Nunez saying he wants CL and has no interest in United.
read reports that Torres agent has flown in to England to talk about a deal, same with Nunez agent Jorge Mendes.

RatPack

I have seen so many news of this transfer is close:
- Nunez 70 mill
- Torres 45 mill
- Neves 50 mill
- Timber 30 mill
- De Jong 75 mill

I will be supprised if more than 1 of these will come.
And I am beginning to think that it will be another season without a CDM.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
These threads get worse and worse every year. It's still May and people moaning about lack of new signings. It's mental.

Is there any patience left in the world anymore?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The more worrying thing for me is the lack of interest in any players we want to get rid of.

Pereira and Martial are coming back off loans with no one interested in signing them.

Palace only want AWB on a loan.

Think the only credible transfer link is Henderson to Newcastle and its even rumoured they want to make that a loan.

It's going to massively limit incoming if we can't trim the squad by selling anyone

Hawks2008

The more worrying thing for me is the lack of interest in any players we want to get rid of.

Pereira and Martial are coming back off loans with no one interested in signing them.

Think the only credible transfer link is Henderson to Newcastle and its even rumoured they want to make that a loan.

It's going to massively limit incoming if we can't trim the squad by selling anyone
This is the consequence of giving big contracts to players that don't deserve it in the name of "preserving value". It will take years to overhaul this squad.

RoyH1

ETH is going to have to pressure some of the surplus players by making clear to them that they won't have a place in the squad. Their agents are going to have to find them a spot if they want to play.

The Glazer's will have to scratch their pockets

Drizzle

Seems that once we get the decision on De Jong in the next couple of days then that will determine what we have to work with for the rest of our potential purchases. I'd expect by the weekend we'll know a lot more about how all this is panning out.

sparx99

Players are either on their holidays or international duty. Most won't have made plans yet. There has only been a handful of transfers going on across europe.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'd be surprised if we signed two players, however my expectation is 1 player only that too just before the deadline.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Players are either on their holidays or international duty. Most won't have made plans yet. There has only been a handful of transfers going on across europe.
So players make career changing decisions hrs or days before the deadline ?

If we haven't already drawn up a list of players and contacted them then we're already screwed. Infact, said lists should have been drawn up even before the season finished.

Lets face the facts, we're shite in approaching and negotiating transfers.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Have we announced or signed a summer transfer deal before June in our recent history? Nani and Anderson maybe? But other than that.. don't think so.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Looking at the early rumours we just look to be getting rinsed again. All the talk about the budget is £120m and we will barely be able to get 3 players for that. Even that kid at Ajax is apparently £40m. I have absolutely no faith in us selling players to make more funds.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can still negotiate deals though, the open window is to just register new signings. It’s still early but if in 2 to 3 weeks we’re still without a signing then it will be a concern. We start our preseason in July and ideally ten Hag can have all business done by the end of June.
Perhaps the club is negotiating deals except given the changes in the club this is being done quietly and with little fuss?

Surely people would prefer that?

sparx99

So players make career changing decisions hrs or days before the deadline ?

If we haven't already drawn up a list of players and contacted them then we're already screwed. Infact, said lists should have been drawn up even before the season finished.

Lets face the facts, we're shite in approaching and negotiating transfers.
That's not what I'm saying at all. The point is the transfer window isn't even open yet and players generally will consider a couple of options. Those decisions are less likely to be made when they are on international duty or a beach. Obviously, their agents can be working on it and calling or txting. But they won't come in and do a medical or any of the other stuff until they are back.

I'm frustrated as anybody and impatient for a signing but most clubs haven't done any deals yet either.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Maybe completed that day but it was announced really early wasn't it? The guardian says fee agreed 7th May 2015.
Okay. So in 15 years we've only announced 3 deals prior to June 1st. I'd say that's evidence that not having announced any so far Isn't unusual.

sparx99

I'll be less impressed if we're still at nil transfers by 30th June
Yeah, ideally we have 3-4 ready for day one of pre-season. This is not a Moyes situation where he went straight on holiday and started July 1st. We know Ten Hag has been in meetings and the rumour mill would suggest a list of targets that are being pursued. We may have multiple deals at similar stages and all of sudden 1-2 get done at the same time.

Most of us should try to check out for a few weeks. Last season was so miserable it seems to be dragging into the summer with the fans' impatience.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
More than actual sales, just reliable links would be nice. Our strategy of high wages makes it hard to move players on when they don't work out.

Lynty

Seems that once we get the decision on De Jong in the next couple of days then that will determine what we have to work with for the rest of our potential purchases. I'd expect by the weekend we'll know a lot more about how all this is panning out.
I agree. De Jong seems to be the priority/hold up - I think rightly so. Timber negotiations happening in the background it seems. But De Jong signing first probably opens up a few doors for us and defines our budget.

If it's decided he's staying at Barca, I think Timber will be finalised pretty quickly and Neves looks like a straight forward signing.

Banana Republic

Apart from maybe one or two top signings in midfield and defence, we need to be spending in this ball park, on highly rated talent….….

Julian Alvarez £14m
Fabio Carvalho £5m
Luis Diaz £37.5m

That’s a whole strike force for £60m

£100m to £120m should be enough to bring in 5 players.
Utd need to stop spaffing away 40, 50, 60 or 70 million on overpriced players who would go to other clubs in Europe for half the price we end up paying.

onemanarmy

Apart from maybe one or two top signings in midfield and defence, we need to be spending in this ball park, on highly rated talent….….

Julian Alvarez £14m
Fabio Carvalho £5m
Luis Diaz £37.5m

That’s a whole strike force for £60m

£100m to £120m should be enough to bring in 5 players.
Utd need to stop spaffing away 40, 50, 60 or 70 million on overpriced players who would go to other clubs in Europe for half the price we end up paying.
Big difference is that the teams buying the above players already have 60-70 millions players in place. They can easily nurture and bring in these young talents. At Utd, they'd have to perform and lead our attack, massive difference.

Banana Republic

Big difference is that the teams buying the above players already have 60-70 millions players in place. They can easily nurture and bring in these young talents. At Utd, they'd have to perform and lead our attack, massive difference.
I agree.
That’s why I said ….”Apart from maybe one or two top signings in midfield and defence”.
We can’t and shouldn’t spend more than £30m or £40m on more than a couple of players.

Back to the OP.
How long have we got to get new players in, before pre-season training starts?
4 weeks?

ETH has taken up his post and started work.
Let’s hope we get our first new recruit in, within the next week or two.

Last edited:

Cathy Ferguson

I would be very surprised if we have made all our transfers by July 1st. Maybe 1-2 signings before preseason, another 1-2 before Asia and the final ones in August. This club is rotten and I doubt we can afford to replace more than 3-4 players this summer. FDJ is obviously a key transfer and he doesn't want to join and Timber is not in a hurry either. Backup might be Neves and striker option depends on money left after signing midfielders.

UTD_Since_1978

Do we even know in 100% certainty the names of players that ETH wants to sign this summer, or is it pure press speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.