Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackman2210

I just think we need to let the big dogs feed - we are definately not top tier anymore. It would look horrendous if we mention publicly we are interested in someone and then city or liverpool snap them up. Thats why we are being so covert.
It would be great to be bolshy and say we want him etc. On the plus side I'm looking forward to seeing just who we get, timber, danjuma etc. Young and hungry players need only apply.

SER19

Put aside Rangnick the manager, and the main reason people were glad to have him was recruitment. His track record was inarguably good. Small bit worried that we just decided to scrap that (after ignoring a request for Alvarez and Diaz in January) and are now being linked most strongly with an 80m pound midfielder that doesnt want to join us and an 80m pound striker that many have huge reservations about. Add in a past it chelsea midfielder and the same centre half weve been linked with for 2-3 years and it doesnt scream a new approach. Go further and add rangnicks supposed alarm at the club not even having a report on Nkunku.

This isnt a comment on ten hag, who I hope is listened to in a way rangnick clearly wasnt.

Andersons Dietician

It would have been a nice show of intent if it had been possible to be like, here is Ten Haag, then a couple of days later here are three signings he wanted. Similar to that summer Nani, Hargreaves,Ando were just paraded out.

Contracts are complicated, knowing exactly what Ten Haag wants and if it’s even possible even more so. Everyone would like the buisness done as early as possible, especially given the many long protracted sagas we’ve been through recently. sure it won’t be too long as I’m sure the ”new” recruitment side will want to show it means buisness.

Withnail

Put aside Rangnick the manager, and the main reason people were glad to have him was recruitment. His track record was inarguably good. Small bit worried that we just decided to scrap that (after ignoring a request for Alvarez and Diaz in January) and are now being linked most strongly with an 80m pound midfielder that doesnt want to join us and an 80m pound striker that many have huge reservations about. Add in a past it chelsea midfielder and the same centre half weve been linked with for 2-3 years and it doesnt scream a new approach. Go further and add rangnicks supposed alarm at the club not even having a report on Nkunku.

This isnt a comment on ten hag, who I hope is listened to in a way rangnick clearly wasnt.
As far as I'm concerned, Rangnick was either talking bollox or misinterpreted. There was no chance we were getting either of those players with 48hrs left in the transfer window. Liverpool and City would have been extremely advanced in negotiations at that stage.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agree we will only get 2-3 signings this summer (CB, RB, DM).

But we may also promote some youth, such as Garner (CM), Mejbri (AM), Garnacho (WF) Fernandez (RB) etc

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Will the caf implode on itself if we signed no one ?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Will the caf implode on itself if we signed no one ?
I hope we can now start with some signings and players, who we don't need, going out.
Time passes very quickly.

Blood Mage

A £120m budget in combination with the United tax and no CL football was always going to make this window a nightmare for us. I reckon we could end up with just two signings (Nunez and Timber maybe) and the McFred midfield will live on.

suhaylah

We need 1 cb, 1 rb, 1 Lb, 2 cm, 1 striker, 1 RW.
Dont see us sign more than 4 players in this transfer market though.. Maybe we'll get 1 cb, 2 cm and 1 striker

SER19

As far as I'm concerned, Rangnick was either talking bollox or misinterpreted. There was no chance we were getting either of those players with 48hrs left in the transfer window. Liverpool and City would have been extremely advanced in negotiations at that stage.
I don't know, we were linked with Alvarez before city were and Rangnick was there from November

Withnail

I don't know, we were linked with Alvarez before city were and Rangnick was there from November
His comments specifically mentioned the last 48hrs as we then knew Greenwood/Martial were gone and Cavani wouldn't be fit for 8 -10 games. This would have been some time on the 29th Jan.

His main point was we should see if anyone is available and try to get someone, even on loan, which is fair enough and I thought the same at the time. However, he was being a bit disingenuous in my view by naming the three players.

Alvarez's deal was reported as done on the 25th, Vlahovic was reported as done on the 27th and Diaz was all but done on the 29th and confirmed on the 30th.

Even if Ralf was a little off in his timelines these deals would likely have been mostly done at the time Ralf was talking to the board and we'd have had to gazump Liverpool, City or Juve to get any of them.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Reminder that this time 15 years ago, we'd already signed and announced Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson. It IS possible. Just not with the 'new' United :/

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Reminder that this time 15 years ago, we'd already signed and announced Nani, Hargreaves and Anderson. It IS possible. Just not with the 'new' United :/
Add to that loan of Tevez, 23 year old beast who at times was just aggressive as Keano & Rooney. Great shithouse stirrer too.

We absolutely need to be aggressive and decisive now or we'll simply fade further.

Gandalf

We need 1 cb, 1 rb, 1 Lb, 2 cm, 1 striker, 1 RW.
Dont see us sign more than 4 players in this transfer market though.. Maybe we'll get 1 cb, 2 cm and 1 striker
Would say 4 is the most and that is being very optimistic. I am thinking 2 or 3 with 2 being most likely if we do blow most of our budget on FDJ. I think half of the rationale behind chasing Timber is his versatility, we need help at CB and RB and he can play either role whilst ETH tries to get a tune out of Dalot, Maguire et al and we can then make a second signing at the back in the next window once Erik has assessed what he has. I do anticipate a lot of opportunities for our U23s next season as we work through the rebuild, no point in going nuts this window if we end up with 2 or 3 players we don't want in 18 months time. If we only get 2 players but they are difference makers then I will be content as a first step.

GoldanoGraham

Hopefully first signings will be announced after this round of pointless international matches - while the players are busy with national teams their agents are hopefully agreeing everything for once the players are finished - nearly all players are away at the moment.

JustinC00

-FDJ - doesn't want to leave Barcelona and will probably play a season for free while Nike comes in and gives him some kind of bumper sponsorship deal that covers some of the wages he lost
-Timber- wants to be in the best spot for World Cup which means no interest in United because he has a gtd starting spot at Ajax
-Nunez- Him and Mendes desperately hoping another team with CL comes in for him

Not a good look for Murtough, ETH and co that their first targets basically told them to jog on. Gonna be a real long window. Can't wait for the Bruno-McTominay-VDB-Fred diamond on August 6th

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

-FDJ - doesn't want to leave Barcelona and will probably play a season for free while Nike comes in and gives him some kind of bumper sponsorship deal that covers some of the wages he lost
-Timber- wants to be in the best spot for World Cup which means no interest in United because he has a gtd starting spot at Ajax
-Nunez- Him and Mendes desperately hoping another team with CL comes in for him

Not a good look for Murtough, ETH and co that their first targets basically told them to jog on. Gonna be a real long window. Can't wait for the Bruno-McTominay-VDB-Fred diamond on August 6th
A Midfield that couldn't spread the play if their life depended on it....

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Why is it so easy for other teams to sign players. Even big clubs get deals done.

united just chasing farts in the wind like usual.

Bestietom

If we are really serious about a rebuild and catching up with the likes of Liverpool and City, we need to bring in 6 players this summer. Those two and other teams will bring in more players and will pull further away from us if we don't bring in at least 5/6 players.
We are losing Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Cavani, Lee Grant. Then you have Bailly, Jones, Martial, Henderson, have asked to go. Add to this the ones that will most likely be put on the market, Tuanzebe, AwB, Chong, Williams, makes it 14 players out. There could be more also.
If all these move on, we will need players in to fill the gaps left in the team/squad. I am really expecting a very busy summer in transfer market for comings and goings, if we are really serious about challenging the big boys and getting into top 4 at least, next season.

Last edited:

Godfather

What are the odds we will have everyone needed signed by the time pre-season starts? Would be kind of important considering the upheavals in the squad

Bestietom

What are the odds we will have everyone needed signed by the time pre-season starts? Would be kind of important considering the upheavals in the squad
Well they are back to training in 3 weeks time, 27th June. Hope we have a few new faces by then.

Belisarius

I hope we can now start with some signings and players, who we don't need, going out.
Time passes very quickly.
I don't really care about incomings. I just want to see a lot more outgoings. Clear out that dressing room and let Ten Hag start with about 11 professionals backed up mostly by youth who will at least bring effort, a willingness to listen to the manager and effort.

So far: Pogba, Grant, Lingard, Mata

Additional for the summer to be a success in my eyes: Matic, Cavani, Henderson and/or De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Perreira, Tuanzebe.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't really care about incomings. I just want to see a lot more outgoings. Clear out that dressing room and let Ten Hag start with about 11 professionals backed up mostly by youth who will at least bring effort, a willingness to listen to the manager and effort.

Additional for the summer to be a success in my eyes: Matic, Cavani, Henderson and/or De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Bailly, Maguire, Shaw, Mctominay, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Perreira, Tuanzebe.
Matic and Cavani have said they are going.

Bestietom

Cavani and Matic gone also.

Schmeichel=God

We're going to sign every one of De Jong, De Ligt, Milinkovic-Savic, Nkunku, Timber, Antony, Nunez, Torres.

First XI to die for

De Gea
Shaw
Torres
De Ligt
Timber
Milinkovic-Savic
De Jong
Nkunku
Sancho
Nunez
Antony

It's here, the revolution.

:drool:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Have we announced or signed a summer transfer deal before June in our recent history? Nani and Anderson maybe? But other than that.. don't think so.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/may/24/manchester-united-david-de-gea

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/27/javier-hernandez-manchester-united#ip=1

Phil Jones was early June as well.

Smalling and Zaha were signed in January, but remained in Fulham/Palace until summer.

Now, am not worried because I think we will see movement pretty soon, but we undoubtedly planned and moved quicker under Fergie.

Also, those who think that half of new team is coming this summer will be pretty dissapointed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/may/24/manchester-united-david-de-gea

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/may/27/javier-hernandez-manchester-united#ip=1

Phil Jones was early June as well.

Smalling and Zaha were signed in January, but remained in Fulham/Palace until summer.

Now, am not worried because I think we will see movement pretty soon, but we undoubtedly planned and moved quicker under Fergie.

Also, those who think that half of new team is coming this summer will be pretty dissapointed.
Is this one of these passing of time myths though?
Many a time we were doing our deals super late.

Berbatov, Yorke etc.

I think Yorke signed the midweek before the first game!

tomaldinho1

Aint sold nobody, aint bought nobody. Fax machine broken
The fax machine only answers to Murtough’s dulcet tones, only he wields power here. The rest of us are just chaff, mere froth on the tsunami of his reckoning. When John decides to announce a singing, be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.