g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorio

I'm generally optimistic about things, but this window's been underwhelming so far. Before now there was a sense that we were quietly working on deals with sensible people and the press were feeding on scraps or just creating stories out of nowhere.

Now that said dealings are being leaked, none of the transfers we're involved in (that we know about) appear to be straightforward. We know Barca is a pain to deal with, fair enough, but Ajax are known for their professionalism. In fact, we have a friend as their CEO and yet twists and turns seem to develop at every point. Just seems a bit of a mess right now.

I hope we manage to sort things out as the Dutch obsession, the apparent lack of alternatives, and the lack of progress all put together don't paint a pretty picture.

Kag

Cracking window so far. Signed one squad player just in time to leave for tour, only 4 weeks until the season starts and we are considerably weaker. Fair play it’s quite impressive.

And before anyone says so and so haven’t signed anyone etc I couldn’t give a shit. WE are the club in dire need of better players, the ones who were complete dog shite last season and the ones who’s top goal scorer wants to leave also.
Be careful. This might be too negative.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Cracking window so far. Signed one squad player just in time to leave for tour, only 4 weeks until the season starts and we are considerably weaker. Fair play it’s quite impressive.

And before anyone says so and so haven’t signed anyone etc I couldn’t give a shit. WE are the club in dire need of better players, the ones who were complete dog shite last season and the ones who’s top goal scorer wants to leave also.
I suggest buying a tin hat and taking cover - you're likely to get lots of abuse here. Some people can't face hard truths

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems to me they are the same sluggish United who struggles to sell, they struggle to buy, they rely heavily on the manager to do most of their work and they can only do 1 transfer at a time

Idxomer

They are good at negotiating prices.
We are crap.
The best example I can give you is Haaland - MCFC get him for £50M, really quickly. If we'd gone for him, we'd negotiate all Summer, and would pay twice the price.
I often do wonder if our negotiators realise that the aim is to pay less, not more. Perhaps they are negotiating the price upwards, which catches the selling club off-guard.
This is literally the worst example.

Wing Attack Plan R

Selling clubs have been fecking with us knowing our pre-season tour to Timbuktu was about to get underway, and assumed we'd shell out more to have the new players on the plane. We probably should have but didn't.

Still 4 weeks before the season starts. Pre-season matches are a joke anyway, and this one on Wednesday is going to have us all in stitches. Maybe this match will be such a disaster on Wednesday the transfer targets are immediately purchased on Thursday. ETH is going to be furious if we get spanked by Liverpool and then he doesn't get his targets.

4 weeks to go! We'll get a bunch of shiny new players just in the nick of time!

Robindinho

They are good at negotiating prices.
We are crap.
The best example I can give you is Haaland - MCFC get him for £50M, really quickly. If we'd gone for him, we'd negotiate all Summer, and would pay twice the price.
I often do wonder if our negotiators realise that the aim is to pay less, not more. Perhaps they are negotiating the price upwards, which catches the selling club off-guard.
Haaland had a release clause, hence him "only" costing £50m.

Nunez would have been a better example - decisiveness/speed of getting him in early in the window. We'd have still been dragging it out and playing the long game now... Or Tottenham signing Bissouma, took advantage of just one year left on his contract - signed him for £25m.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I must admit that after the latest stories about Lisandro and Antony I am not worried, but in panic. It seems we will splash our whole budget on a 7th or 8th CB, a 3rd LB and De Jong. What about a RB, a ST, especially with Ronaldo' situation? I know we have a new manager again, but does it means Martiak sill have a seco.. a countless chance to impress again? What is the point of Murthouh and Fletcher tthen? My last hope is that Dalot and Martial are disastrous on the pre-tour and make EtH want replacements for then this summer. I don't want to believe I am going to watch their sulky and helpless faces this season.
Fletcher is not a DoF! Can’t believe still having this conversation. Murtough and O’Boyle.
Fletchers main role is to oversee that the young ones development has a path to the first team squad

Telsim

Going into preseason with a single signing - a backup LB. But with so many departed and yet to depart players. Less than a month now until league start.

Grim isn't the word for it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Going into preseason with a single signing - a backup LB. But with so many departed and yet to depart players. Less than a month now until league start.

Yes, the situation presently is not good again.
Brentford are still hoping to keep Eriksen and Ajax are now demanding more than they previously asked for Martinez but i'm still hoping these two will materialise.

Are the club and our owners taking us for a ride again this year?
If they are then we will be a mid-table team unless EtH can work some magic on these players.

Many people were right about the state of the club and the owners.

Red00012

We’ve signed one player 7 have left and we still don’t need to have Telles ,Jones , Bailly and Axel at the club

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It seems to me they are the same sluggish United who struggles to sell, they struggle to buy, they rely heavily on the manager to do most of their work and they can only do 1 transfer at a time
Yes because united are currently working only on the one De Jong, Eriksen. Martinez, Antony, and completed someone else.

So annoying they only focus on one.

Vapor trail

The window has been a disaster so far, no other way of spinning it. Murtough's lack of experience or preparedness is on full display.
What's even stranger for me is posters willing to aid the defence of John. He's proven absolutely nothing when it counts. I said 2-3 weeks ago I've no confidence in his responsibility this summer. Even with FDJ and Martinez signed it's a relatively poor summer.

The midfield needed reinforcement with Pogba and co here yet the team is weaker. I just hope Murtough / Arnold can show some diligence because they have already failed ETH timeline of all signings done by the start of pre season tour. It's been a terrible start to his tenure.

Revaulx

The window has been a disaster so far, no other way of spinning it. Murtough's lack of experience or preparedness is on full display.
I’ve still not given up hope, but think you’re right with the bolded.

Arnold and Murtough knew Woodward’s leaving date months in advance. I fully understand that their hands were tied while he was still in post, but surely they could have sat down together off-grid and hatched a plan of campaign they could implement as soon as he’d gone? I’m sure they’d already made up their minds about Judge; it would have been nice if they’d had a replacement lined up to start well ahead of the window opening.

I’m loving my life

I’ve still not given up hope, but think you’re right with the bolded.

Arnold and Murtough knew Woodward’s leaving date months in advance. I fully understand that their hands were tied while he was still in post, but surely they could have sat down together off-grid and hatched a plan of campaign they could implement as soon as he’d gone? I’m sure they’d already made up their minds about Judge; it would have been nice if they’d had a replacement lined up to start well ahead of the window opening.
I think we’re coming round to the reality that actually nothing has changed except the de facto focus of blame (Woodward) has gone. It was inexplicably dumb to merely just promote a couple of his acolytes to the most prominent positions in the club…jobs for the boys/promoting from within/protecting the Glazers flow of money by prioritising marketing and PR over football.

The transfer market performance this summer is the proof in the pudding. We employed ETH in April (literally the only good thing Murtough has done in his year-long tenure). He could have had a quality squad to work with but he’s been massively debilitated by the ineptitude of his yes-man, inexperienced, Glazer-puppet DoF.

Arnold getting Woodward’s job is another massive red flag. This guy was basically working under Woodward for years. It’s literally more of the same but the club have just got better at PR. He got the job because he will carry on with the primary objective of lining the Glazers pockets. That’s the only reason. If you look at this nothing has changed. We have a new manager but he’s not being backed and in a few months the playing staff will down tools, because their remit is to generate social media clicks and they know they will get long contracts and pay rises for doing that and not being good on the football pitch.

Lyng

I keep seeing this, but do we know for certain he is only backup?

ROFLUTION

How the feck can we miss out on both Bissouma and Richarlison? Fits the bill completely, only concern is if they could give problems internally.

devilish

Yes because united are currently working only on the one De Jong, Eriksen. Martinez, Antony, and completed someone else.

So annoying they only focus on one.
Do we? We've been 'working' on transfers for weeks and months and yet here we are with just a young LB from the Feyenoord.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Do we? We've been 'working' on transfers for weeks and months and yet here we are with just a backup LB from the Feyenoord.
Brill so you acknowledge we work on multiple deals at the same time. We're in agreement.

devilish

Brill so you acknowledge we work on multiple deals at the same time. We're in agreement.
If we're able to do that effectively then we would have signed more players then some kid from some farmer's league. I mean we're negotiating for the likes of Martinez and the free agent who used to play for Brentford not for Mbappe and Salah. We are creating a transfer saga out of players whose signings should be pretty straightforward

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Indeed. It's annoying af. Personally I am thrilled by this signing because it's different from our usual big money has been star signings.
Yeah I like what I see from him not only playing wise but also mentality. We should be delighted to get such a player for a reasonable fee!

jesperjaap

Well we cant judge until the window is over....but this seems all too familiar so far:

Season ends, talk of major movement with several players being sold and 5ish signings. A relatively minor signing is made, talk of others coming, one major target chased for weeks, barely any movement by the time a preseason starts.

Lets face it so far,transfer wise we have literally done nothing. The players leaving are out of contract, we didnt have to do anything, as of yet we havent managed to sell Pereira, Tuanzabe, Jones, Bailly, Henderson etc etc.....wait for one or two to be sold, the rest on loan or still here.

Not only that, we will still and by choice have the likes of Dalot (seriously he is worse than Telles), Lindelof, McTominay, Martial, Rashford etc etc who are not up to scratch.

Our four best players the last season or so, one wants to leave, one may not play again for us, one had an absolutely abysmal season to th epoint people are realising he isnt as good maybe as cracked up to be.

We have signed a left back (only seen him for 60mins so cant judge) that may or not become our first choice left back, but it has as of yet just improved the squad in one of the few areas way down the priority list of needing a squad improvement.

There is talk of not signing players for big wages that dont really want to be here....yet everyone is creaming themselves with the (I think maybe forlorn) hope we sign FDJ.......as we slate one of our biggest ever players for wanting to leave saying he only came back for the money.

The big two have already made big signings, others around us have already made good signings. We dont seem heavily linked with any otehr cm bar DeJOng even though personally its glaringly obvious we need two new central midfielders. And a good young one has gone to Villa for free, another good player with premoership experience has gone to Spurs for under £30m, quality players like Caqueret have signed a new contract with apparently lttle interest from other club.

And now mayb ejust press nonsense, but we are being linked with Bryan Bobbey who has flopped and looked poor on loan when I have seen him as he is cheap....and there are the likes of Amine Giouri out there.

Maybe things may come good, but we havent aced quick enough, we should hav ebeen taking players signed on a preseason tour. And is it just me, considering bar Ronaldo not really anybody missing.....that tour squad looks both inexperienced and very weak in several areas.

This window is looking like an utter shambles when it should have been one of the most decisive ones we have had. Last summer was a shambles to me despite the signings, not cm signed....and it showed. Several beforehand have been absolutely dreadful. For me we have doen two decent windows since Fergie left.....and I only mean decent as last summer and Mourinhos frist summer, we signed on paper good playres, we just didnt sign nearly enough.

So yes, I am certainly going to moan so far, we have been poor in this window so far and seem to never learn, its the same mistakes

The Irish Connection

How the feck can we miss out on both Bissouma and Richarlison? Fits the bill completely, only concern is if they could give problems internally.
Not going for Bissouma at 25m is absolutely unforgivable. Shocking non decision.
Wouldn’t be surprised if Kamara looks decent for villa too this season.

Catalandevil

A new manager with a philosophy that doesn't suit our squad, several players leaving, our best player asking to leave, and only one player signed. If there was a season where new signings were needed early on was this one, to create team spirit and let the whole team absorb the new way of playing. Constant feeling of improvisation. All of this sounds too familiar. Huge next two months for everyone involved.

Ralph1386

Well we cant judge until the window is over....but this seems all too familiar so far:

Season ends, talk of major movement with several players being sold and 5ish signings. A relatively minor signing is made, talk of others coming, one major target chased for weeks, barely any movement by the time a preseason starts.

Lets face it so far,transfer wise we have literally done nothing. The players leaving are out of contract, we didnt have to do anything, as of yet we havent managed to sell Pereira, Tuanzabe, Jones, Bailly, Henderson etc etc.....wait for one or two to be sold, the rest on loan or still here.

Not only that, we will still and by choice have the likes of Dalot (seriously he is worse than Telles), Lindelof, McTominay, Martial, Rashford etc etc who are not up to scratch.

Our four best players the last season or so, one wants to leave, one may not play again for us, one had an absolutely abysmal season to th epoint people are realising he isnt as good maybe as cracked up to be.

We have signed a left back (only seen him for 60mins so cant judge) that may or not become our first choice left back, but it has as of yet just improved the squad in one of the few areas way down the priority list of needing a squad improvement.

There is talk of not signing players for big wages that dont really want to be here....yet everyone is creaming themselves with the (I think maybe forlorn) hope we sign FDJ.......as we slate one of our biggest ever players for wanting to leave saying he only came back for the money.

The big two have already made big signings, others around us have already made good signings. We dont seem heavily linked with any otehr cm bar DeJOng even though personally its glaringly obvious we need two new central midfielders. And a good young one has gone to Villa for free, another good player with premoership experience has gone to Spurs for under £30m, quality players like Caqueret have signed a new contract with apparently lttle interest from other club.

And now mayb ejust press nonsense, but we are being linked with Bryan Bobbey who has flopped and looked poor on loan when I have seen him as he is cheap....and there are the likes of Amine Giouri out there.

Maybe things may come good, but we havent aced quick enough, we should hav ebeen taking players signed on a preseason tour. And is it just me, considering bar Ronaldo not really anybody missing.....that tour squad looks both inexperienced and very weak in several areas.

This window is looking like an utter shambles when it should have been one of the most decisive ones we have had. Last summer was a shambles to me despite the signings, not cm signed....and it showed. Several beforehand have been absolutely dreadful. For me we have doen two decent windows since Fergie left.....and I only mean decent as last summer and Mourinhos frist summer, we signed on paper good playres, we just didnt sign nearly enough.

So yes, I am certainly going to moan so far, we have been poor in this window so far and seem to never learn, its the same mistakes
I agree with your sentiment and so far none of what we’ve been saying for weeks has been proved wrong. Malacia is an exciting addition to the squad, but it’s simply appalling that he’s the only signing ETH gets to bring with him on the tour, when we’re supposed to be rebuilding.

Lyng

Yeah I like what I see from him not only playing wise but also mentality. We should be delighted to get such a player for a reasonable fee!
Absolutely. He seems to ooze a ton of positivity. Something the team (and our fanbase) desperately needs.

croadyman

A new manager with a philosophy that doesn't suit our squad, several players leaving, our best player asking to leave, and only one player signed. If there was a season where new signings were needed early on was this one, to create team spirit and let the whole team absorb the new way of playing. Constant feeling of improvisation. All of this sounds too familiar. Huge next two months for everyone involved.
Yeah exactly we are way behind schedule

UnitedFire

We don’t. It’s just muppets trying to find a narrative to cling onto
Does the forum ownership have a licensing requirement or financial incentive to maintain positivity? Genuine question.

If its not that where does your positivity come from? Do you believe that despite us being entirely useless last year and appearing like one of the worst Man Utd squads ever that it'll suddenly come together under Ten Hag working miracles.

Or you just expect the signings will eventually come and despite a lack of working with the squad in pre season they'll just fit like a glove?

I actually wish I could have a glimmer of positivity, but I just don't see it. We desperately need some high quality signings

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What's even stranger for me is posters willing to aid the defence of John. He's proven absolutely nothing when it counts. I said 2-3 weeks ago I've no confidence in his responsibility this summer. Even with FDJ and Martinez signed it's a relatively poor summer.

The midfield needed reinforcement with Pogba and co here yet the team is weaker. I just hope Murtough / Arnold can show some diligence because they have already failed ETH timeline of all signings done by the start of pre season tour. It's been a terrible start to his tenure.
I might demand an apology from all those who said I was being negative when I aired my fears this would happen - but I expect to get told my negativity brought it about. New faces, same old bollox

Status
Not open for further replies.