Have we signed anyone yet? | Yes, with stupid tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph1386

I would wager 5!

Anyway, 4 or 5 or more it doesn't matter because if Ronaldo leaves there isn't a striker in the world better than him to replace him & pre-season goal machine Martial isn't fooling me.
I remember Pereira looking like a world beater in pre-season but not good enough as soon as the season started.

Redcy

This can’t possibly be true, after all we all know our transfers are completely incompetent, and we can still only focus on buying one player at a time. Fake news

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Would you guys say it’s a successful transfer window if we got FDJ now and that be it?
No as we'd still be light up front. The suggestion throughout this window has consistently been that we were looking to strengthen in attack as well as a priority, so not doing so would suggest something went awry. We've lost Cavani and Greenwood since this point last year so some improvement up front is required.

If we sign De Jong and a CF or RW to bolster attack then at that point I'd say it has been a successful window. Though that also depends on what happens with Ronaldo.

DSG

We’ve signed two squad players and a fringe first 11 (Martinez) for 55m…

Eriksen is a squad player at this point in his career. He literally played 11 matches, only 900 minutes for Brentford. We have no idea if he can be the player he was for Spurs 5 years ago. He hasn’t been that player for quite some time.

For those of you who think Eriksen will be in the starting 11 with FDJ and Bruno, just take some time looking at the defensive stats of those 3. All three are really bad, and Bruno is probably the best of the 3 defensively!!! No, Eriksen is cover for Bruno, taking up the Lingard/ Mata spot in the squad.

Lisandro should get 30-40 appearances and maybe some time at DM. 55m is a lot for him.

My priorities (assuming Ronaldo stays as that looks likely now):
DM
RB — Dalot is the worst fullback in the league defensively. AWB is the worst in possession / going forward. How we haven’t bought a RB given how crucial it is in the modern game is mystifying.

No value in the market for strikers now. I’d rather see if any young strikers emerge next season and make two big first 11 type buys for a striker and Bellingham.

I would wager 5!

Anyway, 4 or 5 or more it doesn't matter because if Ronaldo leaves there isn't a striker in the world better than him to replace him & pre-season goal machine Martial isn't fooling me.
What position would be the 5th? I have it down as CM, ST, RB and RW

I agree, but without significant sales I doubt we can expect more than FDJ and 1 more
I think we can sell about 3/4 players but how much we get is another story.

Blood Mage

Still not a good enough window so far when you look at how our rivals, who were already miles better than us, have strengthened. De Jong and a new attacker would make it more respectable, but I was still hoping for a stronger response to last season than this. Letting Bissouma go to Spurs was a mistake, he would have really strengthened us.

Malone_Post

Three signings down and I don’t think you can categorically say that we’ve even improved the first XI. If, and that’s looking like a bit if that this stage, De Jong does get over the line he would be the only one that you could say definitely walks straight into the team. If that turns out to be our business done, then unless a few of the youngsters can seriously make a step up this season then I think we’re in big trouble. We need at least one more attacker (two if Ronaldo goes), a right back & CDM.

DSG

Still not a good enough window so far when you look at how our rivals, who were already miles better than us, have strengthened. De Jong and a new attacker would make it more respectable, but I was still hoping for a stronger response to last season than this. Letting Bissouma go to Spurs was a mistake, he would have really strengthened us.
Agree.

Fooza

Until McFred gets replaced with quality, the window isn't successful

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
  • Martínez won't be a squad player
  • We finished 6th last season, no chance of attracting the very best
  • Pulling off the FDJ deal will be very good considering

Rustyspider13

Would you guys say it’s a successful transfer window if we got FDJ now and that be it?
A dedicated owner would buy us half a first team after that disaster of a season but we don't have that. We'd still need an attacker but at the start of the window I didn't think we'd have a chance of getting a midfielder of De Jong's ability, so I'd classify it as a 'success' under Glazer management if we got him.

The Irish Connection

I agree. Every top team has a defensively strong midfielder to provide balance. City have Rodri, pool have Fabinho, the list goes on. De Jong and Eriksen, while great on the ball, are average at best defensively and it’s naive to think because we will play a high pressing, possession game that we won’t need a strong defensive midfielder.
Fred is decent but he gets dribbled past too easily.
You would think that the director of football would highlight this.
Hopefully Martinez can do a job in there.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
I'll add that Martínez won't be a squad signing as he is the only left-footed CB we have.

ETH has played with Blind as a LCB in his first Ajax team and then Martínez.

Castia

Desperate for both a midfielder and attacker....I really hope we can get both done. I mean we need a RB as well don't we

I feel like we needed around 200m this summer and it just isn't happening.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
A dedicated owner would buy us half a first team after that disaster of a season but we don't have that. We'd still need an attacker but at the start of the window I didn't think we'd have a chance of getting a midfielder of De Jong's ability, so I'd classify it as a 'success' under Glazer management if we got him.
Some of you live in dream land I swear

Rustyspider13

Some of you live in dream land I swear
It's not that unrealistic, Chelsea did it for Lampard's last season. Five first XI players can be brought in if the planning was there at the top. The Glazers know this and have just started to rectify their mistakes with the new structure so all I can do is be patient and hope this time it works out.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I’m curious to see if Ten Hag plays a three at the back system anytime soon in the preseason. Right now we don’t have enough center backs to do it in the traveling squad as we are forced to stick Telles in there but with Martinez and hopefully a fit Varane, we’ll soon be well stocked in numbers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Depends on how well the players fit into ETHs system. It's better to buy 3 players that do than 5 players that don't.

Ideally we'd get an attacker and RB in as well.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Doing really well so far I think.

I would have said that three of our biggest problems last season were Shaw’s lack of fitness (I have never been fully won over by him), Maguires form and the lack of more technical players in midfield.

I think Martinez, Malacia and Eriksen are three really exciting signings so far. If de Jong does come, you can almost guarantee that we will be a much better football team than we have been for years.

It’s an exciting time to be a fan again. I can’t express how relieved I am that Ole is gone. A proper manager signing players with real technical quality and ability? Sign me up.

croadyman

With our current 3 signings and outgoings considered I'd say we are at a 4/10 window.

Still probably got a worse team than this time last season when you consider everything we have lost. (Greenwood included)

At the very least a top drawer CM/DM Is required.

If we finished the window with this or go into the season with this business it would be very poor.

As long as we keep pushing on and sign 1-3 more then we can have a bit of hope for next season.

Also if Ronaldo is sold he needs replacing of course
See max of three more (De Jong, RB and RW/ST)

Status
Not open for further replies.