Have you ever been closer to wanting us to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

No, didn't even happen with Mourinho who I disliked as a United manager more than Ole.

Foxbatt

I
:lol:And you're going round here calling others 'top red'.
I am not calling anyone top red. Just don't slate people who don't agree with you. Don't call people who don't support the manager traitors or plastics. Lots of people want the manager gone because he is not good enough. If he was good enough he would have won something of significance by now even at any other club before he came to United.

Lost bear

No, didn't even happen with Mourinho who I disliked as a United manager more than Ole.
I can’t bring myself to want Utd to lose. On a theoretical level, I can understand it because I think we desperately need a better manager, but emotionally I’m always for Utd winning…

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ll ask the question again though. Who are we going to hire if we sack Ole tomorrow? How does it help us getting in a crappy interim manager? Look I’m as disappointed as other fans but we need to be reasonable. Our season will likely not end in the success I want or envisioned but if that’s the case Ole will be gone in the summer. The only way he goes before that is a complete crash and burn and we would have to make a hugely rash managerial appointment mid season. In order of best case scenarios:

- Ole stays, turns it round and wins a big trophy this season.
- Ole steadies the ship, we compete a little better but fall just short of our ambitions this season.
- Ole continues to lose, we crash and burn and hire some random manager mid season where we can’t use any forward planning.

it’s as simple as that.

Nikelesh Reddy

I can’t ever imagine wanting us to lose,but I am apprehensive about what the future will hold for us if we finish in the top 4 this season.If we finish outside the top 4 Ole will definitely be gone,if we finish 4th then the owners might be happy to stick with him.But despite this,I still can’t ever want us to lose…I want us to win every single game,regardless of how I feel about our manager at any given point of time..

Dr. StrangeHate

All the "fans" wanting us to win aren't fans of United they are fans of winning. If you love United you will want a result to force change during the international break to get us out of these dark times for our club. May be I am serious

laughtersassassin

I want us to Win but winning is bad for us and our future.

Ole is finished, we are just wasting time so very last minute goal and win is bad for our future

studs

Old McOle had a farm, passion and desire. And on that farm he had some shit, like Wan-bisska and Maguire. With a cluck cluck here and a cluck cluck there, here a cluck there a cluck everywhere a cluster f**k. Old McOle had farm, passion and desire.

Nikelesh Reddy

All the "fans" wanting us to win aren't fans of United they are fans of winning. If you love United you will want a result to force change during the international break to get us out of these dark times for our club. May be I am serious
Oh come on,how can any United supporter want United to lose?If we aren’t good enough under Ole,he will anyway be sacked soon.But there’s no point in wanting us to lose…

yipthatman

I don't think people actually want United to lose per se but its pretty desperate times and apathy has set in. I think the thinking is that if you have to take a few losses to give the club the much needed kick up the arse to change the manager then so be it. Problem is there isn't a manager available anyway.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Those who said No and after today's post match interview, how about switching camp now.

Club future is priority.
Everything else is secondary.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I’ll ask the question again though. Who are we going to hire if we sack Ole tomorrow? How does it help us getting in a crappy interim manager? Look I’m as disappointed as other fans but we need to be reasonable. Our season will likely not end in the success I want or envisioned but if that’s the case Ole will be gone in the summer. The only way he goes before that is a complete crash and burn and we would have to make a hugely rash managerial appointment mid season. In order of best case scenarios:

- Ole steadies the ship, we compete a little better but fall just short of our ambitions this season.
- Ole continues to lose, we crash and burn and hire some random manager mid season where we can’t use any forward planning.

it’s as simple as that.
So holding on to a manager so out of his depth 19 teams in the league are signing his name is reasonable?

Look, you may want to recruit better int he summer, but at least admit he's the wrong man for the job. If you're still laughing off others in favor of him saying and actually win something... I'm lost for word.

Revan

Assumptionman

it’s as simple as that.
You know what is even more simple. It is more rational to Trust in Januzaj that he is gonna win a Ballon D’Or than Ole winning a big trophy for us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

it’s as simple as that.
Sometimes a change in management help at least for a period of time. It did work hiring a crappy interim manager after Mourinho was sacked right?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

it’s as simple as that.
A caretaker appointment is going to be better than Ole right now. It may well be the difference in keeping in top 4.

AFC NimbleThumb

it’s as simple as that.
Yes, let’s write off another season. The club should be a meritocracy, part of the reason we’re stuck with OgS is because any manager with aspirations is likely worried to get into business with an inept structure behind them. It is symbolic, you don’t keep your job at United after the last 2 home games.

If OgS were simply missing out on targets then fine, giving him the season may be a choice but he’s having a car crash of a season. The mistake of falling in love with OgS the caretaker shouldn’t influence our decisions going forward. If the man we want isn’t willing to come currently, then you clear the decks & install a caretaker with no uncertainty he’s not getting the job.

For all the exaggerated good OgS did early on, the state of the squad if he’s allowed to see out this season will be terrible. Pogba, VdB, Lingard, Bailly, Telles, Dalot, Martial will all need realistically need replacing. We’re giving his successor an even worse situation to take over the longer we persist with him.

TrustInJanuzaj

So holding on to a manager so out of his depth 19 teams in the league are signing his name is reasonable?

Look, you may want to recruit better int he summer, but at least admit he's the wrong man for the job. If you're still laughing off others in favor of him saying and actually win something... I'm lost for word.
Not surprised you can’t read.

TrustInJanuzaj

You know what is even more simple. It is more rational to Trust in Januzaj that he is gonna win a Ballon D’Or than Ole winning a big trophy for us.
Helpful post. Again expected from a poster like you :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

Sometimes a change in management help at least for a period of time. It did work hiring a crappy interim manager after Mourinho was sacked right?
Yeh I mean his position is looking far more precarious and we are playing awful right now so yeh we will need a change soon.

led_scholes

it’s as simple as that.
We made the mistake by hiring Ole. The problem is not hiring another incompetent interim as Ole. That's almost impossible. Only if we hire someone like Neville or someone from the championship would be worse. The problem is if we are going to repeat our mistake and keep the new interim for longer than we should. It was clear with Ole that after the psychological boost, which ended after a few months, that he was an awful manager even in the frost year where he failed to secure a top 4 because we had an awful run. So, we should hire a new manager with an 18 months contract.

Regalia

Who did you support before utd and who are you planning on supporting next?
Just going to humour your trolly question here: always supported United, mate. However, unlike some of you lovely folks on this forum, I support the club and not the manager especially when he's shown himself time and time again to be an incompetent fraud at this level; stealing a living pretty much. Fluking wins when we don't deserve it prolongs his mediocrity, a few good losses means we have a chance to hire a top class manager and get this club back on it's feet again. I know which one a rational fan would prefer, even if they dare not say it out loud here.

Too bad we didn't get smashed hard enough today. Although, 2 halves of football where both Liverpool and City took pity on us and used our team as a training session might be even more damning than getting trounced. Unfortunately, the only headlines our leech Yankee owners will see is 2-0 and think 'that's not as bad as 5-0'.

FerociousCorgis

Do people not realize that both city and pool didn't even bother playing for much of the 2nd half of their respective games? It isn't that we lost we just look pathetic and have for a while now

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
By the end of the game today I was hoping City would score more and not just stop at 2. It's gotten that bad ffs. Whatever result it takes for Ole to get sacked. Even if it's a 6-0 defeat. I'm there.

Roboc7

it’s as simple as that.
A crappy interim manager will be better than Ole, he’ done. Means season may not have to be a total write off and can start looking for a new manager. Definitely don’t want our board making decisions near the end of the season, keeping Ole has zero benefit.

NK86

No but once City took a 2-0 lead and in the second it looked like Ole was playing to avoid a hammering, I actually wanted City to take us to the cleaners. That way at least we would have gotten rid of Ole. The whole match was far worse than Pool. That day we were naive and tactically outclassed. Today we were all that but were also absolutely cowardly. The first half actually hurt. Even Jose would have struggled to get us THIS defensive at OT.

Foxbatt

Would you have preferred a 0-2 loss or a 0-6 loss? This may be a better question.

lemmiwink

I never want us to lose. I get annoyed and angry every time this band of merry amateurs puts out an imbalanced team with a lethargic tactic.

I said last week that the Tottenham game was a false dawn and that this pathetic strategy would never work against City.

Needless to say I was told I should go support Liverpool since I put the club ahead of legends that has the tactical nouse and authority of an 11 year old boy.
Still, when Ronaldo did that volley, I was hoping that he would bail us out of another embarrasment.

stw2022

I don’t get this “who are we going to get to place him ?” argument. Literally every other sensible candidate is more qualified. Much more so. We’re not replacing a wily veteran going through a bad patch.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
So the current consensus is that if we lose against Watford he's absolutely gone.

I think you can easily argue wanting to beat Watford is a negligent attitude at this point... it would mean another 2 months of the club rotting from within.

The Glazers are going nowhere so we just have to hope they see sense and appoint a decent manager for a change.

A dreadful situation but it is what it is...

I get the whole 'I'd never want my club to lose' but I personally am not a tribal drone and can understand the concept of very short term pain for long term gain. Hopefully anyway.

Aljib

Its easy for us fans outside England to want the team to lose in times like this. We don't have that United culture and what have you like the local fans. We will accept a stuffing as long as the clueless manager is going to be sacked.

I've supported united for almost 18 years. I've never seen us this clueless.

croadyman

A crappy interim manager will be better than Ole, he’ done. Means season may not have to be a total write off and can start looking for a new manager. Definitely don’t want our board making decisions near the end of the season, keeping Ole has zero benefit.
Yeah my thoughts exactly and just cannot see me feeling anything (win/lose/draw) whilst Ole is still in charge no matter who we are playing which I know is a plastic mentality but cannot help how I feel about it

stepic

this ‘never want my team to lose’ stuff is dumb.

One or two more losses and ole is definitely out. Look at the bigger picture. We’re not progressing to the next level with ole in charge. What’s more important, a random game or getting United back to the top under a proper manager?

OldRed1

One or two more losses and ole is definitely out. Look at the bigger picture. We’re not progressing to the next level with ole in charge. What’s more important, a random game or getting United back to the top under a proper manager?
In about 70 years of watching United I've never wanted them to lose and my opinion is that supporters who do aren't worth a thimble full of warm beer.

tjb

The conundrum is this. I think United are good enough as a sqaud to still challenge and win trophies at this point of the season. Unfortunately, that would not happen with Ole and therefore we would need to remove him for us to have any chance of being up there this season. Yes there is a gap, but even with Ole, we've made up for dropped points early in the season. I really believe another manager would get a tune out of this squad, yet we may have to lose to make that happen; the fear is that the loss to a team like Watford would make the situation difficult to come back from for another manager. We don't want to waste another season, particular when the likes of Ronaldo and Cavani may never be able to replicate their current ability after this. I felt the same way when we had Moyes, if we had sacked him in December, the squad he had was good enough to mount cup pushes at the very least and a top 4 finish.

devilish

is it the case though? The guy survived a 5-0 defeat against Liverpool and a 2-0 defeat against City both at home. Ole is keeping last year and this year big signing on the bench, our captain said that they lack belief, Pep and Klopp had admitted that they toyed with us and Liverpool/City fans are signing Ole at the wheel. I think he's here to stay at least till the end of the season (probably way more)

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
is it the case though? The guy survived a 5-0 defeat against Liverpool and a 2-0 defeat against City both at home. Ole is keeping last year and this year big signing on the bench, our captain said that they lack belief, Pep and Klopp had admitted that they toyed with us and Liverpool/City fans are signing Ole at the wheel. I think he's here to stay at least till the end of the season (probably way more)
I think he’ll stay unless the fans or players raise a ruckus, or we go on such a long losing streak that Joel Glazer ignores whatever the board is telling him and takes action. The reliable journalists all say we haven’t even been speaking to other managers, and I don’t think we’ve been the kind of club to keep mum like that.

devilish

I think he’ll stay unless the fans or players raise a ruckus, or we go on such a long losing streak that Joel Glazer ignores whatever the board is telling him and takes action. The reliable journalists all say we haven’t even been speaking to other managers, and I don’t think we’ve been the kind of club to keep mum like that.
The board knows that most United fans at the stadium are sentimental, they are easy to please, they are difficult to anger and they are terrified of Gaz or SIR coming out and scolding them for not being good fans. Two good results and all this Ole out talks would be quickly forgotten and they'll be singing Ole at the wheel again. So why bother paying millions to sack Ole when they can just ride the storm?

However there's already contingency plans in action. Not actual contingency plans of course but PR spins. In fact they haven't publicly backed Ole at the wheel and they had leaked that they don't like Ole at the wheel and its simply a matter of it being difficult to find a manager mid way through the season. If shit hits fan and these results do not change then they simply confirm those leaks. By that time it would already be too late to sack Ole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.