Film HEAT 2

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Michael Mann Confirms ‘Heat 2’ As Next Movie & Comments On Potential Reteam With Adam Driver
Speaking onstage at our Contenders London event over the weekend, Ferrari director Michael Mann confirmed that Heat 2 is set to be his next movie.

Asked whether the novel adaptation would be his next screen epic, the legendary filmmaker told us: “Yes. Meg Gardiner and myself wrote the novel Heat 2, which came out right when we were shooting Ferrari. It did very well. I plan to shoot that next.”

When asked whether he could reteam with Driver on the movie, Mann laughed and told us: “Perhaps. We don’t talk about that yet. Let me put it this way: Adam and I got along like a house on fire [on Ferrari]. We have the same work ethic – which is pretty intense. We like each other, and we had a great time working together artistically.”

Heat 2 serves as both a prequel and a sequel to the first film. The story follows McCauley, Chris Shiherlis (originally played by Val Kilmer), and Vincent Hanna (originally Al Pacino) in the years leading up to the L.A.-set crime saga and chronicles what happens to the surviving characters in the years after.

The storyline takes readers back to Chicago in 1988 when McCauley, Shiherlis and their high-line crew are taking scores on the West Coast, the U.S.-Mexico border and in Chicago. At the same time, Hanna is cutting his teeth as a rising star in the Chicago Police Department chasing an ultraviolent gang of home invaders.

After its publication in August, Heat 2 became a No. 1 New York Times bestseller.
:drool:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Oh god. Why do I have this feeling they'll butcher it.

HEAT is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Will be interesting if they try and pass De Niro off as younger in a sequel (or prequel).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet Square

Hopefully it will be like his 2006 remake of Miami Vice. A meditation mood piece about the professionalism of the crime/police world. With a slowed reverb Moby soundtrack.

Everyone will hate it but me and @Rooney in Paris will say it’s a work of pure genius.

Mann has said in interviews there was tons of back story for the Mccauley character which never got used in the 90’s film(Mccauley reads the Communist manifesto and then decides it’s morally good to rob banks :lol:)Plus along with the recent novel there’s plenty of material to make something great.

Bebe

Not something I've ever asked for, but the first is one of my favourite films ever so I guess I have to pay attention to this and hope it isn't shite.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Has anyone read the book? I had it for Christmas last year but haven't got around to it yet.

Chairman Steve

Heat is one of my favourite movies ever so I’m happy Mann’s adapting the book. I’m kinda on the fence on whether to read the book since its been in the grapevine that Mann wanted to adapt it into a movie, and whether I should wait for the movie since Michael Mann movies have stunning visuals (something you don’t get with a book obviously).

Michael Mann and crime movies is a match made in heaven.

Hopefully it will be like his 2006 remake of Miami Vice. A meditation mood piece about the professionalism of the crime/police world. With a slowed reverb Moby soundtrack.

Everyone will hate it but me and @Rooney in Paris will say it’s a work of pure genius.

Mann has said in interviews there was tons of back story for the Mccauley character which never got used in the 90’s film(Mccauley reads the Communist manifesto and then decides it’s morally good to rob banks :lol:)Plus along with the recent novel there’s plenty of material to make something great.
The 2006 Miami Vice is a pretty good movie until the odd, rushed ending, which wasn’t the ending they wanted to do due a bunch of external circumstances if you read the background into it. I get the feeling people didn’t warm to it because it wasn’t 80s Miami Vice, but I’ve seen 80s Miami Vice and watching the movie I bought into that it was Crockett and Tubbs in the 2000s, and that Miami was still as cool as it looked in the 80s… and Michael Mann is pretty much responsible for making Miami Vice what it was in the 80s when he was it’s showrunner for the first two seasons (which are the best seasons of that show).

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Oh it's gonna be genius obviously

Vibes FC on screen

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Easily makes my top 10 list. Please please don't butcher it :(

Sweet Square

There’s a “amazing” 90 minute review of Heat by Bill Simmons and his podcast sidekick. They quote scenes and talk about their favourite memorable moments but at no point do they mention the themes or even strangely why they like the movie.

Simmons compares the diner scene to watching Kobe Bryant vs Michael Jordan. Then says he has no idea why Pacino and De Niro characters get along.

Just like the contrast of Micheal Mann spending months reading Marx’s capital vol 1 and looking at graphs on the product of fine metals. Only for Simmons to be like dam those guns are loud!

Rooney in Paris

Scout
There’s a “amazing” 90 minute review of Heat by Bill Simmons and his podcast sidekick. They quote scenes and talk about their favourite memorable moments but at no point do they mention the themes or even strangely why they like the movie.

Simmons compares the diner scene to watching Kobe Bryant vs Michael Jordan. Then says he has no idea why Pacino and De Niro characters get along.

Just like the contrast of Micheal Mann spending months reading Marx’s capital vol 1 and looking at graphs on the product of fine metals. Only for Simmons to be like dam those guns are loud!
:houllier:

I don't know who this Simmons person is but he sounds a bit thick

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm going to have to watch Heat again. I watched it when it came out and thought it was OK but nothing that special.

Tropical Bob

Funnily enough I just re-watched LA Takedown last week. It was only ever a TV movie, and not done at the level they re-did it for Heat, but I always enjoy watching it. It still has a slight 80's vibe to it.

I wasn't expecting a sequel. Maybe everyone was secretly wearing bullet proof vests.

Sweet Square

I don't know who this Simmons person is but he sounds a bit thick
I only found out about him because his Heat review has over 250,000 views! I can understand not getting some of the themes. A lot of what I see in Mann films started off from reading other peoples takes and then trying to find something new in the rewatches. But the diner scene is very on the nose.

His one criticism of the film is that Val Kilmer didn’t run fast enough to the car after the bank robbery :houllier:.

He comes across as a guy who’s not really thought much about the film or looked at everyone else opinion of it. Which is fine but also kind of strange given how popular the review is. Plus just seeing it as a all star heist film really misses out what makes it a masterpiece.

I'm going to have to watch Heat again. I watched it when it came out and thought it was OK but nothing that special.
It’s a really good film so…..you will hate it! But really it worth a rewatch and imo its brilliant.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I only found out about him because his Heat review has over 2500,000 views! I can understand not getting some of the themes. A lot of what I see in Mann films started off from reading other peoples takes and then trying to find something new in the rewatches. But the diner scene is very on the nose.

His one criticism of the film is that Val Kilmer didn’t run fast enough to the car after the bank robbery :houllier:.

He comes across as a guy who’s not really thought much about the film or looked at everyone else opinion of it. Which is fine but also kind of strange given how popular the review is.
Oh yeah no issues in not seeing or not connecting with those themes, @Rado_N doesn't either and he's a nice guy, but him missing the diner scene is seriously just stupid.
It’s a really good film so…..you will hate it!
:lol:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
One thing I hate about Hollywood is that they eventually end up putting the current hot item like an Adam Driver in one too many things. I think he is a better than average actor but like a Brad Pitt - limited in range. He is not a method actor in the style where I can almost completely forget who is playing the part. Don't ruin Heat's legacy for me please. Just call it something else entirely at least.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Are you willing to walk out on Heat 2 screening in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner?

Sweet Square

but him missing the diner scene is seriously just stupid.
I’m not the biggest fan of Oppenheimer but after leaving my screening I heard one guy say to his girlfriend/wife - “So what the hell was all that about ?”

Although the best one is my Tory voting step dad loves Starship Troopers as a good humans vs bad bugs action movie.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I’m not the biggest fan of Oppenheimer but after leaving my screening I heard one guy say to his girlfriend/wife - “So what the hell was all that about ?”

Although the best one is my Tory voting step dad loves Starship Troopers as a good humans vs bad bugs action movie.
I like it a lot when they go pew pew with their guns and kill some spiders. Top film.

Simbo

One thing I hate about Hollywood is that they eventually end up putting the current hot item like an Adam Driver in one too many things. I think he is a better than average actor but like a Brad Pitt - limited in range. He is not a method actor in the style where I can almost completely forget who is playing the part. Don't ruin Heat's legacy for me please. Just call it something else entirely at least.
Don't think anything can ruin Heat's legacy at this point. I'll watch it because its Mann and he'll be putting a lot of effort into it and... Ana De Armas. Its not going to be HEAT though with a different cast so my expectations won't be too high, you can't re-create that crew.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

:lol:Verhoeven's not exactly subtle with his messaging in Starship Troopers. I guess people like that (and my older family members) love that blood of patriots poppy shite and can't fathom it being mocked.

Wing Attack Plan R

*Timothée Chalamet has joined the chat.*