Henderson signs 6 year contract

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It's a lot on wages, but I guess the gamble is that if he's top class in two years and is our number 1, then we're paying a top class keeper nowhere near as much as we are currently De Gea

Still, 120K to sit on the bench for a year... Not a bad gig.
I'm starting to think we might be emulating the Bravo / Ter Stegen scenario situation from a few years ago, I think Henderson will play every cup game with De Gea being the league keeper. I just can't see someone of his ilk being willing to sit on the bench for a year when he could be playing for pretty much any club outside the top 4.

Infestissumam

well he had a lot of leverage. De Gea struggled last season, while Henderson himself was one of the best goalkeepers in the league ... and teams like Chelsea were lurking. He was always going to get paid, and if you want to keep him around while De Gea is still here, it's going to get expensive.

GwilDor

120k seems a bit high, but as pointed out above, it won’t look that bad in 2023. What are possible exits for Romero or DDG then?
DDG: PSG, Chelsea(?), Athletico Madrid (if Oblak leaves), Inter(Handanovic just turned 36)
Romero: Chelsea, Villa, Leeds
Only green options acceptable imo. Any sale to Chelsea would have to come at a hefty price.

AltiUn

I'll be the first to wish an Academy player comes good, but imagine if Henderson does not turn out good. We'd struggle to shift him with those wages.

Plus, what has he done for the team to earn that much money anyway?
He's built up a huge rep for himself, I don't think he'll be short of clubs even if he doesn't reach his potential.

strandty

Worked alongside him when he was on loan here at Grimsby and even when he was 19 he was talking about taking the number 1 shirt and you could tell he meant it. Great news!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm starting to think we might be emulating the Bravo / Ter Stegen scenario situation from a few years ago, I think Henderson will play every cup game with De Gea being the league keeper. I just can't see someone of his ilk being willing to sit on the bench for a year when he could be playing for pretty much any club outside the top 4.
Oh he'll definitely play in all the cups... Still a lot of money just to be doing that.

It's a huge gamble by the club. Hopefully it pays off.

flappyjay

If people are wondering this is why we sell for cheap. High wages all across the board. Obviously if you look at what David is earning then this is a fair wage for Dean.

GazTheLegend

Good news. Crazy wages though unless we plan to sell De Gea next summer.
Nah not for an England goalkeeper

Just means if (if) we have to sell his value remains circa 60million, going by Kepa-rates

Good news. Now give him an opportunity to get the number one shirt. If he cant, we can still sell him for a good fee.

bludsucker

Just like i thought. Its only United fans who can turn a contract extension into a bad thing. We did it with martial and rashford and de gea and now we are doing it with Henderson.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
120k for what exactly? Sigh
Probably to stop the masses of hysterical fans that would flood the internet with their negativity, much like we've seen when we haven't bowed to other players demands.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
While Chelsea fill their boots with Chilwell now signed, we do what? Get Henderson, who is not first choice and certainly wasn't second choice in the past two seasons on a six-year deal. So strengthening in the one area of the pitch, you could argue, which is the last that needs strengthening. I say strengthening, because he hasn't been in our squad, having been out on loan.

Of course, what Sky DON'T say is that will undoubtedly mean losing Argentina international Sergio Romero, who we will let go for money. If not.. what the heck is going on? Personally, I would have dropped De Gea during last season, and played Romero because of his poor form. Romero is a top keeper. Best number 2 in the world, surely. But for some reason (wages) the Spaniard appears untouchable. If it had been Matic on poor form, or Fred, or Greenwood, then he would have been rested.

Sky Sports reporting they felt De Gea was not under enough pressure. What guff. What is Romero, if not pressure.

If Woodward thinks Henderson deal is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. He is totally wrong. Our transfer dealings are again, a farce.
Its posts like this that are ruining this forum

AltiUn

It's OK. The mods are happy with this type of shit posting.
He must've really enjoyed his original post because he basically put the same comment, word for word, in another thread.

manuchamp88

6 years wow, that’s a massive contract! Shows a lot of faith in the lad but also it shows he has faith in us that his time will come.

Then again, I saw 6 years and thought I hope that isn’t going to be a cursed number for us ala David Moyes.
Was just thinking of that comparison. Cept we can't just sack Henderson if he doesn't turn out as expected. It'll be a nightmare to try and shift him...do we ever think things through?

Idxomer

I'll be the first to wish an Academy player comes good, but imagine if Henderson does not turn out good. We'd struggle to shift him with those wages.

Plus, what has he done for the team to earn that much money anyway?
He increased his value for the club by improving the last few years when he was on loan. The club could've sold for a very good fee, but I think they're too afraid to strengthen a rival and don't believe that DDG could go back to his best especially without competition.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
So we've gone from wanting him to replace DDG, to calling the management terrible for giving him the opportunity and securing an asset??

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That must be the biggest wage ever given to a homegrown player without ever starting a senior game aswell.

Would be a bit awkward now if he is shit for you.
Seeing that SU paid just shy of 20m for Ramsdell I'd of sold them Henderson for 30m personally

GazTheLegend

For the doubters in this thread:

If Dean Henderson wasn't already our player, how much do you think it would have cost to buy him from Sheffield United? Don't just base it on last season, base it on the last three and that trajectory which started with him almost carrying Shrewsbury to the Championship!

rotherham_red

How can anyone say it's poor planning?

Just look at Chelsea to see how easy it is to feck up a goalkeeper transition, or our troubles post-Schmeichel until VDS. A poor goalkeeper is probably the most damaging Achilles heel a team can have and we've acted to ensure that we have a top quality replacement for our own underperforming one, and what's more we haven't needed to pay a penny for him.

It'll push DDG and I think irrespective of form this coming season, we'll see him moved on. He'll likely be our big summer sell in 2021 and we'll spend the money on the numerous other needs in the squad.