Henderson signs 6 year contract

RoyH1

Ole must have faith in him to take over very soon with that contract.

Lee565

He doesn't have to be the undisputed, clear number 1 next year, but he's being given the opportunity to be groomed and take over for DDG in the year(s) to come. This is the transition period for United and Henderson. Give Henderson opportunities to show he can hack it at United, instead of just throwing him into the deep end without protection/a reliable backup.
Problem is that if isn't playing regularly he his not going to be at his sharpest and increases his chances of producing an error that could scare ole into going back to just heavily relying on de gea and Henderson's career stalls sitting on the bench and his confidence takes a big hit and before you know it he's another Jack butland.

edcunited1878

Consistency should be the bare minimum requirement for a United-standard keeper who is currently the highest-paid in his position on the planet.

DDG has made too many errors to be considered among the best in the PL and I think (hope) he'd be the first to admit that.
He's still amongst the best PL goalkeepers. They all make mistakes and he's made more than usual for whatever reasons, especially because his standard was so, so high so the only way he could go was down.

Take away what he's being paid, which can be hard for whatever reasons. He's still a good GK. If we're being critical, then look at the other end of the pitch where lack of goal scoring in the first half of the season was a big reason why United struggled to keep pace in the table, not GK.

siw2007

Was just thinking of that comparison. Cept we can't just sack Henderson if he doesn't turn out as expected. It'll be a nightmare to try and shift him...do we ever think things through?
Fortunately I don’t think we will have to. I think he will become our number 1 and be a solid long term investment. But might have preferred a 4 add 1 deal anyway

edcunited1878

Problem is that if isn't playing regularly he his not going to be at his sharpest and increases his chances of producing an error that could scare ole into going back to just heavily relying on de gea and Henderson's career stalls sitting on the bench and his confidence takes a big hit and before you know it he's another Jack butland.
Those are big what if's and it's up to the player to clearly be focused. Jack Butland also suffered from ankle injuries that hindered his career, that's more injuries stopping you rather than the mentality. Henderson's mentality hasn't been questioned, he's extremely driven and been driven to be the number 1 at United and for England for a long time.

It's up to the club and the two players to make this work. But it's not just a one year thing. It's important that the club and Ole have a plan and stick with it or at least be very transparent and clear to the players and then have them compete. They'll make the decisions, but you don't sign a player to a 5 year deal without giving them a legit opportunities and years to grow and improve.

I'm happy for Henderson and happy for the club because it seems like they have a plan in place and they're acting upon it.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm all for rewarding players that progress their careers, but if the rumoured wages are true it's sheer lunacy from United, half would have been more than enough, and if he turned it down he should have been moved on. He ain't all that, think Kovar is a better prospect.

SirAnderson

Let us not forget that at the end of July, Nemanja Matic, aged 32, signed a new three-year contract with us. That keeps him on our bench till the grand old age of 35.

And in June, last year, Juan Mata, then aged 31, signed a two year contract with an option to stay for another year - taking him to the grand age of 34. On the bench.

Puzzling as ever.
Huh....what does any of that have to do with this?

edcunited1878

I'm all for rewarding players that progress their careers, but if the rumoured wages are true it's sheer lunacy from United, half would have been more than enough, and if he turned it down he should have been moved on. He ain't all that, think Kovar is a better prospect.
Kovar? Henderson's only 3 years older than him and has vastly superior experience than Kovar. Come on man.

davidmichael

Reminds me of when Courtois came back from loan and Cech got benched. Wonder if this is the beginning of the end for de Gea?
This is exactly what I was thinking and was going to say too, I really think that if De Gea does start the season as number one then it’ll certainly be his last and I don’t think he’ll see the season out as first choice either.

The sheer confidence in Henderson to refuse another loan to a Premier League club and go toe to toe with De Gea over the number one jersey is amazing to see and the pressure it puts on De Gea to either start performing or he’s dropped will either make or break De Gea.

Worst case scenario is we shift Romero on this summer for £10 million then shift a goalkeeper from De Gea or Henderson on next summer for big money. I really think if Tuanzebe gets over his injury nightmare of last season that we’ve got an amazing group in Henderson, Laird, Tuanzebe, Garner, McTominay, Rashford and Greenwood that won’t have cost us a penny and go on to be at least very good Premier League players.

mu4c_20le

This is a dammed if you do dammed if you don't scenario
Pretty much. Best case scenario is someone buys De Gea, otherwise it'll be interesting to see if Henderson gets another loan, or they fight it out equally next season.

Class of 63

Sourness
Kovar? Henderson's only 3 years older than him and has vastly superior experience than Kovar. Come on man.
Experience that won't help Henderson one bit the first time he steps out at Old Trafford is number one choice with the eyes of the World on him.

Kovar is taller, better at coming for crosses, and far superior with the ball at his feet.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Good for us, would be worried about it in terms of his career if that was my priority. I'd not have signed if I was him, not unless there were some serious assurances about game time.

Joseunited

Experience that won't help Henderson one bit the first time he steps out at Old Trafford is number one choice with the eyes of the World on him.

Kovar is taller, better at coming for crosses, and far superior with the ball at his feet.
Surely Kovar will be in the same boat if and when he plays for United for the first time.Dont write Henderson off before he's even played for us.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ole must have faith in him to take over very soon with that contract.
if so then why did we give DDG world record wages for 4 more years? It makes no sense. Nothing really does with the deal makers at this club though.
2 years time either keeper is in top form and the other can’t get an honest look in. Who’s going to take over either of those contracts? Is this not a big part of our problem?

mu4c_20le

Cool news. Seems clear he’s getting a run at the first team soon.
Ah, was wondering where our stats guys were. You need to show these heretics why Henderson deserves the shot right now. It was starting to feel odd to defend him considering I was pointing out his weaknesses myself, but statistically speaking he's been impressive.

Ekeke

6 years is a long commitment. I feel like this is a really good deal for Henderson but within the next 2 years we'll have to make a choice between him and De Gea long term.

Woziak

More l
Weird to have 2 keepers on a combined wage of 400k+. That’s poor upper management.
More like nearly 500k
D De Gea 375k per week CL clause kicks in
D Henderson 120k per week
Sergio is on 70k so yep Sergio is off
And Grant a united fan will continue cheerleading duties

Here’s the thing though if and it’s a very strong fact Bruno is only on the same £120k per week that might be a more important contract Resign than Pogba

We really are a shower of S...! When it comes to squad planning and I fear come 2025 we will all still be searching for the so called DOF !!!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's good news for us that we have the GK position sorted out long-term. We can complain now about the wage bill, but if De Gea has an iffy season and Henderson had gone elsewhere, we'd have been scrabbling around for a suitable younger replacement.

I'm assuming of course that Romero will be going to be another team's number 1, which is what he should be doing.

Stretender

He won't see out his 6 year contract here, I have seen nothing that suggests he is a top keeper. Nothing against him but there is nothing special about his game. Once he becomes a regular here people will realise how overrated he is. I hope he is first choice next season otherwise whats the point of paying those wages?

Grande

6 years wow, that’s a massive contract! Shows a lot of faith in the lad but also it shows he has faith in us that his time will come.

Then again, I saw 6 years and thought I hope that isn’t going to be a cursed number for us ala David Moyes.
tbh a Jix that will gang around with Moysey must be a desperate Jinx!

Good he’s secured, one of the most interesting keepers around. If it works out for him at United, even at 400k a year for the two, we’ll have saved a lot of money compared to Chelsea Arrizabalaga. And if it doesn’t we’ll get a good bit back for him when selling him on.

edcunited1878

For the youth team! Kovar could be better, but he's 20 and has never experienced and performed first team football in any league, let alone the PL.

hobbers

Good for him. Bad for De Gea.

We needed something to shift De Gea out of his malaise and this might be it. And if it isn't, step in Deano.

Class of 63

Sourness
You watch a lot of academy and reserve games I think. What are his weaknesses?
Not sure he had any obvious weakness, he was just a steady Eddie who I remember more for not being scared putting his head where the boots were flying more than him pulling off amazing reflex saves. And we didn't play out from the back so much when he was in the Academy so his limitations with the ball at his feet weren't as obvious as they are now, saying that Sheffield United wanting him to kick it long first-time hasn't helped him on that score.

manuchamp88

Fortunately I don’t think we will have to. I think he will become our number 1 and be a solid long term investment. But might have preferred a 4 add 1 deal anyway
I really hope. Totally agree re the contract. You can always renew.

binary bot
if so then why did we give DDG world record wages for 4 more years? It makes no sense. Nothing really does with the deal makers at this club though.
2 years time either keeper is in top form and the other can’t get an honest look in. Who’s going to take over either of those contracts? Is this not a big part of our problem?
Everyone accepts the DDG contract was a mistake. Do you just sit on your hands on the back of that? Miss out on potential top players? De Gea will be difficult to move on regardless of Henderson joining. Henderson will be easy - established himself in the PL and isnt going to spend 6 of his best years on the bench.

No point using the De Gea contract to bash this one.

keithsingleton

Great new for our club but can't help feeling sorry for Romero as he's been a legend No2 who has been solid for us. Never moaned either. He deserves a No 1 spot in the premier league

Reactions: Penna