Henrikh Mkhitaryan | BVB confirm transfer

Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Do you want him for the reported €38m?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I never said that I blame him. I just wanted to know if he was injured, in bad form or playing out of position.

I remember they finished 7th, still Aubameyang scored 16 goals and he had 6 assists.

To be honest I would prefer another kind of right winger (someone more skillful and with tons of pace). However, Mkhitaryan improves what we already have and it seems he wants to join us, so he's totally welcome.
Who?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yeah we heard the same thing said about Di Maria. You're just as stupid if you think he's a sure thing.
There's no such thing as a sure thing.

Every transfer is a risk. Even the lovechild of Pele and Maradona would be one.

But some people seem to want to be negative with basically every transfer we make. sometimes I think it's simply to be contrarian and be able to 'call it' if said player struggles.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I remember that I read about it, here is the article:

Nov 4, 2015
Jurgen Klopp played Mkhitaryan out of position - agent Mino Raiola

Henrikh Mkhitaryan celebrates after scoring against Borussia Moenchengladbach in August.
Borussia Dortmund star Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been hailed as one of the best midfielders in Europe by his agent Mino Raiola.

Mkhitaryan, 26, joined Dortmund from Shakthar Donetsk in a club-record €27.5 million deal in the summer of 2013.

Last season, the Armenia international failed to find top form for most of the campaign, scoring only four goals and assisting seven in 41 games over all competitions.

But he has been transformed under new Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel this season, already being involved in 23 goals across 18 games in all competitions. He has scored 11, and set up a dozen from Dortmund's impressive total of 64 goals in 20 games.

Former boss Jurgen Klopp had said that the player's performances often seemed to suggest the pressure might be much or a player who waslinked with a switch to Juventus in January, but Raiola disagrees.

"Micki never had a mental problem," he told Bild. "Micki just plays in his position now. That's it.

"He's one of the best players in Europe in it. You just have to play players where they are best. When you play [Lionel] Messi at right-back, he also wouldn't be that good."

Klopp, left Dortmund at the end of last season and has since taken charge of Liverpool, played Mkhitaryan on the right wing in several games last season, while Tuchel has used him in a more central role or on the left wing.
Nice one. Don't know whether to believe Klopp.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Feels like it's 5m too much for someone on the last year of his contract, but he's quality and I wouldn't be unhappy with this signing at all. About time we go for proven quality, and not settle with third or fourth choice when it comes to midfielders.
Woodward, is that you?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The important bit is getting a player that potentially will solve our problem. If we are convinced about that, then I'd much rather get fleeced a bit than settle for some of the other options thrown around. and even then none of the mentioned other players are going to be cheap, plus not attainable in many cases.It's actually quite great that the deal is getting close and I just hope he performs as we expect him to be.
Yeah I completely agree. If he does sign and we win the league under Mourinho I doubt many will be thinking about a few million euros we over payed by.
The only other options I can think of is Sane who would cost a lot
More than 38 million euros and Draxler I like but he's more of a left sided player anyway at least from what I've seen.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
38 million is too much I feel. Would give 37.99 for him, not a cent more. We shouldn't get fooled around.
sorry but for a player of his age, he is too old and we could do better. I would save the money and give one of our academy players a run on the wings to not halt their development. more logic. of the caf

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Aubameyang was probably the only consistently good attacker for Dortmund in 2014/ 2015. But one might argue that Mkhitaryan was as good as him, if not slightly better - in 2015/ 2016. He really was up there with Müller, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, and briefly Costa - as the best attacker in the Bundesliga, IMO. And infact, he was named Kicker Player of the Year over all 4 of them:
Considering that ~£30 million doesn't always fetch much these days, that fee for someone in his peak would be shrewd business. Especially since he can play in most attacking positions, is hard-working, and quite intelligent on the field. The only concern is that he's someone who needs to be reassured of his quality, and he didn't show his best performances under Klopp when things went tits up. Tuchel reportedly built him up psychologically last season, and one would hope that (if) we get him, José would do the same. And he probably would, given Zlatan's 'made me feel like a terminator' or 'lion' narrative.
A good post from a while ago...good time to post it as people are comparing him to Ashley Young, want to sign Draxler over him, bring up his stats from a season where Dortmund were shite and claim he is 28 years old

Also @Fer check out that spoiler in the quote I posted, he's had a tremendous season and I have no idea who this more skillful player you want is (also Mkhitaryan doesn't lack speed)

Ban

sorry but for a player of his age, he is too old and we could do better. I would save the money and give one of our academy players a run on the wings to not halt their development. more logic. of the caf
This. He's 28 already, he'll be in his thirties in no time and his form will start to drop and his age will start to show. Really short term signing which we don't need right now.

prateik

Wait. So he isnt going to solve the right wing problem.. and wants to play as a #10 or on the left?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
While not being as visible as usual Mkhitaryan's workrate is phenomenal for an offensive player. Everywhere on the pitch.
True, but he was not even Dortmund´s best performer this season. This would be Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who is even more underrated and effectively outscores Özil this season. Even if we take away the Euro League qualifier matches vs. small sides, he assisted more goals in all competitions and scores way more goals by himself.

Özil has been fantastic this season, but top 3 on the planet is still reaching a bit.
[QUOTE = Sphaero]
Yeah...,no. He is actually pretty close to his personal top Level right now. You can count his poor games on one hand this season and even at his absolute best he had the occassional off game (like pretty much any player). His impact on our offense (which counts amongst the best in Europe) is obvious as our expert for the second last pass (best player in the league in that regard this season) and the creative nerve center.

There is only one player in our squad who was as influential in our offensive play and this is Mkhitaryan, who plays a phenomenal season himself.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE = Sphaero]
There is nothing left which would suggest that he has not completely recovered. He is physically in top shape, being amongst the offense only second to Mkhitaryan (who might be our best player in terms of pure fitness and stamina) in terms of minutes played. His pressing resistance has fully returned and he is as hard as ever to get rid of the ball. His vision and passing skills were never gone. The only aspect which is still not back to his best shape is his shooting, but more in terms of accuracy than strength so probably unrelated to his injury.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't properly quote the last 2 as I think the threads a closed

Mainoldo

Wolfsburg paid 38 mil Euros for him.

They would want 50 mil plus for him. He is very very inconsistent too.
Well apparently we are only looking to pay £30m for him. So might be a lot of negotiating if stories are to be believed

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we got both an attack of
Miki---Martial----Draxler
Is good enough to win us the Champions league next season without even having qualified for it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why do people keep calling him slow?

R'hllor

Voted no but thats most because of spite,i rather give him 38 mil next year (i know it might be stupid)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Wait. So he isnt going to solve the right wing problem.. and wants to play as a #10 or on the left?
He most certainly did play right side in every Dortmund game I saw last season

izec

Humble and a top professional, speaks a lot of languages, is a very good chess player, versatile across the front 3 behind the striker and isnt too shabby in playing football too. What do you want more?

Fer

A good post from a while ago...good time to post it as people are comparing him to Ashley Young, want to sign Draxler over him, bring up his stats from a season where Dortmund were shite and claim he is 28 years old

Also @Fer check out that spoiler in the quote I posted, he's had a tremendous season and I have no idea who this more skillful player you want is (also Mkhitaryan doesn't lack speed)
You are right, he had an amazing season.

When I mentioned someone skillful I was talking about a player like Mahrez (I wanted Osmane Dembele).

IMO is more entertaining to see skillful players out wide. For example, Barca with Neymar/Messi; Madrid with Ronaldo/Bale; Bayern with Costa/Coman/Robben/Ribery... I just prefer a player like Mkhitaryan behind the striker, not on the wings.

I may be wrong, but players like Griezmann, James, Dybala or Mkhitaryan are better when they play through the center not wide.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
You are right, he had an amazing season.

When I mentioned someone skillful I was talking about a player like Mahrez (I wanted Osmane Dembele).

IMO is more entertaining to see skillful players out wide. For example, Barca with Neymar/Messi; Madrid with Ronaldo/Bale; Bayern with Costa/Coman/Robben/Ribery... I just prefer a player like Mkhitaryan behind the striker, not on the wings.

I may be wrong, but players like Griezmann, James, Dybala or Mkhitaryan are better when they play through the center not wide.
Mkhitaryan had his best season playing on the right for Dortmund

clarkydaz

Humble and a top professional, speaks a lot of languages, is a very good chess player, versatile across the front 3 behind the striker and isnt too shabby in playing football too. What do you want more?
make it happen Woody

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Are you sure? I think he played on centre last season. Please correct if I'm wrong.
Yeah I'm sure mate, from the games I remember he played on the right vs Liverpool and Spurs. This image also shows he played on the right mostly (from Transfrmarkt). He is very versatile though

ReDDHDevilS

I don't understand why we'd need Draxler!

Draxler is an injured version of Schurrle, likes to play on the left which in practically Martial's position as long as he wants.

Would rather have someone like Ounas who offers something different and would deputize Mkhitaryan while learning his trade without the burden of making an instant impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.