Henrikh Mkhitaryan | Roma player

FujiVice

Welbeck celebrating against us like a madman when he scored at the loss in Fa Cup was terrible to see and he showed zero respect for the club he started football in it. Some times showing respect is needed.
TBF, that's not how he was raised as a player at this club. We want our players to be born winners, not play actors who pretend they aren't happy to score. For me it's one thing if you want to desperately leave, and you come back and rub the fans faces in it. But Welbeck didnt want to leave and scoring against the side who said he wasnt good enough was a personal goal he had to be pleased with.

el3mel

TBF, that's not how he was raised as a player at this club. We want our players to be born winners, not play actors who pretend they aren't happy to score. For me it's one thing if you want to desperately leave, and you come back and rub the fans faces in it. But Welbeck didnt want to leave and scoring against the side who said he wasnt good enough was a personal goal he had to be pleased with.
I still don't think Mikhi was good for us at all and still believe we get the better deal. He's not suited for us but actually respected him a bit for that. I don't think it's play acting, and Mikhi didn't need to do that considering the manner he leaved the club. In Welbeck's case he should have showed some kind of respect for the club in which he started his career in.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Wanted to say I actually quite respected him to some extent for not celebrating today. Completely opposite to what Welbeck did when he scored his first goal against us even though the latter is from our academy.
Agree with everything here.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Agreed. And he certainly didn't celebrate wildly, kissing the Arsenal badge and thrusting towards the fans or anything out of the ordinary. Didn't face up to the home or the travelling fans. It was a standard celebration with his team mates.

Besides, a player scoring a goal away from home that knocks out their former club in the FA Cup, it would be weird if a player contained that and didn't celebrate. And on top of that, he was ousted by the manager and he had a point to prove, how could someone keep that in?

AndersB

Seems like a nice bloke, and kudos for not celebrating, given his shortish stint here, and - well, what we've been saying about him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wanted to say I actually quite respected him to some extent for not celebrating today. Completely opposite to what Welbeck did when he scored his first goal against us even though the latter is from our academy.
Have never understood people who get butt-hurt about ex-players celebrating or pleased when they ostentatiously choose not to celebrate. Couldn’t give less of a shit which option they choose. If anything the actually celebrating option always seems less forced and more genuine.

automaticflare

Agre

lsd

The Oracle

Mhki showed class because he knows he is a good player not defined by how he did at United

Welbeck showed he is a prick who will be remembered as a very average forward with a poor scoring record

Canagel

Mkhi will still be remembered well by United fans. After all he was a major part in winning the only trophy the club had never won. He always showed a great attitude, always represented the club well, never made a fuss when he wasn't getting picked. Seems like a good guy. I have nothing against him. He has a place in our history. Infact I hope he does well as long as its not against us.

jem

Have never understood people who get butt-hurt about ex-players celebrating or pleased when they ostentatiously choose not to celebrate. Couldn’t give less of a shit which option they choose. If anything the actually celebrating option always seems less forced and more genuine.
I agree - it looks so forced the way the player lowers his head, does that weird pushing down movement with his hands. Disingenuous nonsense.

I know it's the Daily Mail, but some funny, non-celebration pics here, involving the likes of Joe Cole and Adam Johnson, of all people! (and the articles mentions redcafe!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...elebrating-goals-sides--getting-annoying.html

Last edited:

T A

Herrera, Matic and Smalling all were indecisive in that situation but Micki goal was really good, he took exactly the right moment with his shot. Also his run in first half where he left both Pogba and Young behind was impressive. Good game for him, however i feel for De Gea still not securing his Golden Glove yet :(

Velvet Revolver

TBH Welbeck hardly gets a chance to celebrate anywhere let along against his former club so I guess its ok?

Velvet Revolver

Ekeke

Yep, even though his stay with us was pretty short.

Today confirmed why we let him go though. He doesn't have much fight in him. Very easily bullied out of games. Goal aside, neither he nor Aubameyang did much. Perhaps it is a trend with BvB players as Kagawa was the same.
Really not true. Aside from the goal he was busy and looking to make things happen and could have had more than 1 goal

Ekeke

All the players loved him. Our fans always supported him. He didnt want to leave. He always tried his best. Just wrong player at the wrong time for us. He's moved on, we've moved on. Still really like him. Good to see his showed us respect when he scored.
Unfortunately I cannot agree with that. The fans really turned on him this season before his move

RedDevil@84

Yeah, Welbeck didn't want to leave. He just wanted LvG to be as clueless as Moyes and give him starts he never deserved. He wanted promises that could not be kept. Let us not act as if he was insulted and thrown away.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A lot of class from him yesterday. He didn't need to show any, but he did.

Bet he didn't see the abuse he was getting from some on here, otherwise wouldn't have blamed him.

He seems like a grounded guy, it's a shame it didn't work out with us. Hope he does well enough at Arsenal.

daveoliver91

Thought he had a decent game. Obviously we've seen that his best profile is in an Arsenal shirt. Really happy with what he did after he scored a goal. I was in J Stand yesterday and I felt we didn't give him the warm he actually needed. He loved our club, the players, etc...

Fully respect to the Armenian! :)

Bobski

He is a good player, and was not even that bad for Utd, decent in 16/17 and even started this season relatively well, just a bad fit with Mou.

Dundrummer

Actually not celebrating would be scoring a goal and then walking/jogging back to your own half to restart the game. All this bollocks of standing still or raising your arms in 'apology' is posturing bollocks and I've no respect for any player who does it.

Yeah, Welbeck didn't want to leave. He just wanted LvG to be as clueless as Moyes and give him starts he never deserved. He wanted promises that could not be kept. Let us not act as if he was insulted and thrown away.
He was both insulted and thrown away, as anyone who actually knew about the situation was well aware. He just wanted to keep being a regular part of the club he'd played for since he was 8. Instead he was told he wasn't as good as James Wilson and was kicked out, and was then immediately snapped up by an (at that stage) better team. This rewriting of his history as if he was some mediocre wantaway because he's scored a few goals against us is nonsense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Actually not celebrating would be scoring a goal and then walking/jogging back to your own half to restart the game. All this bollocks of standing still or raising your arms in 'apology' is posturing bollocks and I've no respect for any player who does it.

He was both insulted and thrown away, as anyone who actually knew about the situation was well aware. He just wanted to keep being a regular part of the club he'd played for since he was 8. Instead he was told he wasn't as good as James Wilson and was kicked out, and was then immediately snapped up by an (at that stage) better team. This rewriting of his history as if he was some mediocre wantaway because he's scored a few goals against us is nonsense.
Great post. Both bits are spot on.

arthurka

He is a good player, and was not even that bad for Utd, decent in 16/17 and even started this season relatively well, just a bad fit with Mou.
He was very good in the EL campaign. But the PL and Jose´s style didn´t fit him at all.
This was a good move for both sides. The only one who didn´t gain anything from this was Martial.

cyberman

Welbeck moved on (after a second transfer request in two years?) because he demanded to be played through the middle yet he's happy playing that hated role for Arsenal.
Your're taking as many liberties as the stance you're arguing against.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He was very good in the EL campaign. But the PL and Jose´s style didn´t fit him at all.
This was a good move for both sides. The only one who didn´t gain anything from this was Martial.
Remains to be seen how well Arsenal do out of it. He was ok yesterday (in the context of United playing fairly terribly) but I’ve seen him have some absolute stinkers for Arsenal.

Admittedly, the same is true of Sanchez but you’d have to be more hopeful about him turning things round than Mkhitaryan, seeing as he’s already PL proven.

arthurka

Remains to be seen how well Arsenal do out of it. He was ok yesterday (in the context of United playing fairly terribly) but I’ve seen him have some absolute stinkers for Arsenal.

Admittedly, the same is true of Sanchez but you’d have to be more hopeful about him turning things round than Mkhitaryan, seeing as he’s already PL proven.
Agree.. It also depends on the manager who replaces Wenger.
But I think Sanchez will be ok..

crossy1686

career ending
The non celebration annoyed me to be honest. He's been largely shit all season then when he comes back to Old Trafford, he plays better than he's played in a long time, only to get a goal he desperately wanted, then pretend not to mean it and apologise? Just feck off will you, I'd rather him start windmilling in Jose's face than try to con everyone.

RedDevil@84

The non celebration annoyed me to be honest. He's been largely shit all season then when he comes back to Old Trafford, he plays better than he's played in a long time, only to get a goal he desperately wanted, then pretend not to mean it and apologise? Just feck off will you, I'd rather him start windmilling in Jose's face than try to con everyone.
You seem to be thinking he was purposefully shit when he was over here. Not suiting our current style of play is not a crime.
It does not mean that he hates the club. He might juts not agree with Jose's style or the situation it had come to.

Maybe he will celebrate the next time. Again, that would not mean he hates the club.

crossy1686

career ending
You seem to be thinking he was purposefully shit when he was over here. Not suiting our current style of play is not a crime.
It does not mean that he hates the club. He might juts not agree with Jose's style or the situation it had come to.

Maybe he will celebrate the next time. Again, that would not mean he hates the club.
Where did you get that from? My grievance was that if he'd of actually tried half as much as he tried yesterday, he would have made it at United but he only does it when it suits him. He purposely worked his bollocks off yesterday so he could score, which is obviously out of character for him and pretending like he didn't enjoy it annoyed me immensely.

RedDevil@84

He was and is a crap finisher to be honest. After playing in first team for 4 years or so, being better than James Wilson is not what we were really looking for. Apart from some hard running, he was not in a position to demand anything.
If you were saying he was ready to accept any role as long as he was just part of the club, but the club/manager actively pushed him out, then you are itk. I am not aware of such stuff.

RedDevil@84

Where did you get that from? My grievance was that if he'd of actually tried half as much as he tried yesterday, he would have made it at United but he only does it when it suits him. He purposely worked his bollocks off yesterday so he could score, which is obviously out of character for him and pretending like he didn't enjoy it annoyed me immensely.
I don't think he was way too good yesterday. He had such moments with us too, when things went his way. And I don't think he can flip his form as and when he likes.
In short I can agree that he could not play well in whatever we were trying to play and sort of gave up by the end. But it was not like he always intended to be half-arsed about everything.

Dundrummer

He was and is a crap finisher to be honest. After playing in first team for 4 years or so, being better than James Wilson is not what we were really looking for. Apart from some hard running, he was not in a position to demand anything.
If you were saying he was ready to accept any role as long as he was just part of the club, but the club/manager actively pushed him out, then you are itk. I am not aware of such stuff.
I'm no more ITK than anyone else who was an even remotely well-connected United fan at the time, I'm pretty sure everyone in Manchester knew what really happened. He never handed in a transfer request at any point and he certainly didn't demand to play in a certain position (look at where he plays for Arsenal ffs). LVG and Woodward fecked him about royally, presumably because they wanted to bring in Falcao (to sell shirts I guess?).

As for his finishing, he was never amazing but it's massively overplayed as a narrative. Look at the clamour at the moment over what's happening with Martial and Rashford, two players who play in a similar combination of positions and have played a broadly similar amount of minutes in the PL for us, and then look at their goals per minute:

Welbeck: A goal every 253 minutes
Martial: A goal every 237 minutes
Rashford: A goal every 261 minutes

Should they be sold on account of their 'crap' finishing?

Bobski

Non celebrations irk me. Ok if guys have played the majority of their career at a club, built a rapport and connection with a fan-base, but when a player has has multiple clubs it comes across as ostentatious humility, following the fashion.