Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Linked with Liverpool.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan: Liverpool want Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder

Liverpool are pushing ahead with plans to make Armenian midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan their major summer signing.

The 24-year-old is understood to have a £20m release clause in his contract with Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk. Liverpool have indicated they are willing to meet that figure.

Anfield officials are aware there may be competition for Mkhitaryan, who scored 25 league goals for Shakhtar last season, but are optimistic he can be persuaded to move to Liverpool.

Manager Brendan Rodgers sees Mkhitaryan, who has also been linked with Juventus and Borussia Dortmund, as a key element of his plans to add extra firepower to his side next season.

Mkhitaryan began his career at Pyunik in his home country and scored 30 goals in 70 league appearances.
He moved to Ukraine to join Metalurh Donetsk in the summer of 2009 and, after 12 goals in 37 top-flight outings, was signed by Shakhtar in August 2010.

He has scored 38 goals in 72 league games for the club, and was the Ukrainian top-flight's leading scorer with 25 goals in 29 league outings last season.

Mkhitaryan made his international debut in January 2007 in a friendly against Panama and he has scored 11 goals in 38 appearances for his country to date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22937049

The article says scored 30 goals for Shakhtar last season. Can't say I noticed him in one or two Champions league games that I saw Donetsk play.

What are we looking at here? How good is he and what is his potential?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The first time I heard about him - I think was when someone had a huge thread about "players to watch in Euro 2012" and this guy was on that list.

Don't know too much about him tbh, other than some Youtube reels.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I can't remember if it was him or Yarmalenko I was impressed with, but certainly one of them looks to be a very good player. Given Liverpool's interest, I'll assume it's the latter.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Willian, kind of unfairly, stole the spotlight off him in the CL. He was one of Shakhtar best players, quite obviously. A hard worker from what I've seen.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
The first time I heard about him - I think was when someone had a huge thread about "players to watch in Euro 2012" and this guy was on that list.

Don't know too much about him tbh, other than some Youtube reels.
All I remember is that Armenia had a good young team in the Euro 2012 qualifiers, and I guess he was part of that.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
This guy would appear to be a quality player, can't see him going to Liverpool.

Commadus

Good signing - looks to have real quality. Pool seem to have a more coherent transfer policy - Coutinho, Mikhtarayan, Sturridge.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Aye and Joe Allen, Borini, Assaidi.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Borini, Allen and Assaidi were bought last summer for nearly £30m. Then we employed those Man City scouts before Xmas and along came Coutinho and Sturridge. Now we have lined up Aspas, Mignolet and Mikhitarian above others. Hopefully, the pattern of improvement continues.

A far cry from Dalglish/Commolli's days. :shakeshead:

KM

Borini, Allen and Assaidi were bought last summer for nearly £30m. Then we employed those Man City scouts before Xmas and along came Coutinho and Sturridge. Now we have lined up Aspas, Mignolet and Mikhitarian above others. Hopefully, the pattern of improvement continues.

A far cry from Dalglish/Commolli's days. :shakeshead:

There's no indication so far that either of those signings are going to be better than the likes of Borini or Allen. Henrikh does seem like a very good player though.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
There's no indication so far that either of those signings are going to be better than the likes of Borini or Allen. Henrikh does seem like a very good player though.
I would have thought last season's peformances were a good indication so far. That's all we can go by, surely.

KM

I'm talking about Aspas, Mignolet and this Armenian dude.

Commadus

Mignolet is a good signing - good gk and would be better than Reina who seemed to have lost his edge in the last few years. Aspas seems like a hail mary signing like bebe - worth a punt but I doubt he will do much.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I'm talking about Aspas, Mignolet and this Armenian dude.
Fair enough, but that applies to everybody. Including Coutinho who no-one knew too much about either. Its a risk we have to take as we can't afford premiership premium taxes any more (Carroll, Downing, Henderson, etc).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Fair enough, but that applies to everybody. Including Coutinho who no-one knew too much about either. Its a risk we have to take as we can't afford premiership premium taxes any more (Carroll, Downing, Henderson, etc).
What ?? He had several CL matches under his belt, not exactly an unknown

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Even if he's good, Liverpool will make him shit and ruin a promising career. If they don't then he'll be gone in two years time.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Haven't seen much of him but those who have say he is a quality player, attacking midfielder who scores goals.

It's a bit unfair constantly bringing up Borini and Allen. The former has been injured most of his time at the club and the latter started last season very well only to be hampered by a shoulder injury that eventually ruled him out for several weeks.
Let's give them another season and see how they do.

Sauxees Moi Hui

He is one of Shakhtar's best players. Would be a great signing for Liverpool, IMO. No clue why he would want to play for Liverpool, as Shakhtar win tons of silverware and are in the CL - but there you go.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He is one of Shakhtar's best players. Would be a great signing for Liverpool, IMO. No clue why he would want to play for Liverpool, as Shakhtar win tons of silverware and are in the CL - but there you go.
Maybe money/playing in a better league/a new challenge/playing for a club more recognised globally.

Assuming the deal is on of course and the player wants to come, yes Champions League is a big negative for us.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Probably wants new challenges. Trying to get us back into CL might be one he relishes (sleeping giant syndrome). Before he moves on to the likes of Barca/Real. If he is good enough to attract their attention in the next two years then he'll be doing very well for us.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
What ?? He had several CL matches under his belt, not exactly an unknown
Not only that but he was highly rated at Inter (which is why I was surprised they sold him) and also had a grfeat season on loan at Espanyol. He's a good signing and at a good price, but there's no way anybody could justify him being "unknown".

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Cos he's playing in the Ukrainian league?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Not only that but he was highly rated at Inter (which is why I was surprised they sold him) and also had a grfeat season on loan at Espanyol. He's a good signing and at a good price, but there's no way anybody could justify him being "unknown".
I worded it badly. I meant unknown how he would perform in the Prem, with your big/strong types. Anyway, I think the that line of discussing Coutinho has now fizzled out.

lysglimt

Scout
How do you pronounce the surname then?
without being an expert on Armenian names - I would assume his name is pronounced something like Henrich (the ending like the Loch in scottish) Mechitaryan (same Loch-sound)

But I wouldn't bet my life-savings on it :)

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Is it true that he is an midfielder?

If so, having scored about a million goals from midfield, why isn't everyone in the entire world trying to sign him?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Probably doesn't fit into some squads just yet (Chelsea, Man City, Bayern). A bit like Coutinho for £12million. We're exploiting the surprisingly relatively clear opportunity of snapping him up. Also, much like Fernandinho, he could still flop in the prem so that's another risk.

Interval

Level
Probably doesn't fit into some squads just yet (Chelsea, Man City, Bayern). A bit like Coutinho for £12million. We're exploiting the surprisingly relatively clear opportunity of snapping him up. Also, much like Fernandinho, he could still flop in the prem so that's another risk.

Don't be modest, Dumbstar. You should be quite happy Liverpool signed him. Like its been said, he has looked good for Shakhtar and a bit like Coutinho has passed other clubs' radar. If it doesn't work out, people will laugh with a hindsight bias. But as of now, it looks a decent signing.

Anduin

Liverpool making some decent signings and building a good team... Mignolet, Lucas, Gerrard, Mkhitaryan, Coutinho, Sturridge, Luis Alberto (likely)... they will compensate very well for Suarez' departure IMO.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Good player from th elittle I have seem. Where does he fit. I assume that relegates Coutinho to the bench because they both play in the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.