g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Another great player Chelsea have no chance of signing because our players gave up last year. Yah!

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
You are splitting hairs, its still very very productive.
It's not splitting hairs at all. 38 is a very good season. 55 is 3 less then Messi and nearly 50% more (17 more then the actual tally). It's skewing people's opinion on him and setting expectations way too high.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'd say very. It's basically a wiki site for football, that is you can register as a user and change things but the changes aren't automatic (admins go over them) and it won't meddle with stats. The stats come from match reports that hold the official stats so goals, assists and minutes should all be 99% correct whilst lineups are as correct as the team set it up. It's worth mentioning that leagues might count assists differently so that number could be lower than the real one. I wouldn't expect so from the big leagues however.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's worth mentioning that leagues might count assists differently so that number could be lower than the real one. I wouldn't expect so from the big leagues however.
Transfermarkt counts the assists differently to most other sides. For example, the player who got fouled for a penalty gets an assist if the penalty is converted. And there are a few dubious things like that. The assist stats on transfermarkt are almost always higher than anywhere else because of how they count them. And it's not the leagues that count it differently, it's transfermarkt. It happens for La Liga players as well, not just Bundesliga players.

Snow

Transfermarkt counts the assists differently to most other sides. For example, the player who got fouled for a penalty gets an assist if the penalty is converted. And there are a few dubious things like that. The assist stats on transfermarkt are almost always higher than anywhere else because of how they count them. And it's not the leagues that count it differently, it's transfermarkt. It happens for La Liga players as well, not just Bundesliga players.
That's not dubious, that's how it should be counted imo. Leagues do count them differently as there isn't a rule according to the Laws of the Game that explains it. It's just "a contribution by a player which helps to score a goal". Just like an OG would contribute to an assist for the player that made the cross/shot or someone that had their shot rebounded.

For the record the World Cup records assists the same way as Transfermarkt which is probably where they get their criteria from.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That's not dubious, that's how it should be counted imo. Leagues do count them differently as there isn't a rule according to the Laws of the Game that explains it. It's just "a contribution by a player which helps to score a goal". Just like an OG would contribute to an assist for the player that made the cross/shot or someone that had their shot rebounded.

For the record the World Cup records assists the same way as Transfermarkt which is probably where they get their criteria from.
Well, in theory I don't care how they count it as long as everyone counts it the same. It's pointless if assists mean significantly different things depending on the criteria one randomly chooses to use and in theory it should be one of the easier stats to count.

My problem with transfermarkt's way of counting assists is that it reflects creativity even less than for example whoscored's numbers do. And in many discussions assists have become a synonym for the creativity of a player. That's always flawed no matter how you count them, but it's even worse if you use transfermarkt's stats where completely uncreative actions like getting fouled can play a big role in your numbers. It probably comes down to what the assist stat is supposed to reflect compared to how it's used in most football discussions around the world. The transfermarkt stat just looks totally random to me very often.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
According to kicker:

11 goals 20 assists in 31 BL Games.
5 goals 2 assists in 6 German Cup Games.
7 goals 10 assists in 15 EL Games.

23 goals 32 assists in 52 games last year.

They also use the transfermarket method.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thats a very generous estimation. Aside of maybe half a dozen games his performances ranged from underwhelming to piss poor.

The thing with Mkhitaryan is, that with him it was never about pure ability. He is a very complete player with wide skillset and incredible defensive contribution. That big question mark (and I say that eventhough he is probably on the pitch my favourite player right now) behind him is his mental stength. The guy is highly intelligent and also very sensitive. Our current coach Tuchel described him as melancholic and that description fits him very well IMO. It was said Tuchel who declared him basically his favourite player and eventually lifted the mental block he suffered from for two years.

Maybe that was enough for him and he hits the ground running at other clubs and plays on the level he does right now or maybe he is more dependent on Tuchel and the enviroment our officials try very hard to mantain as he believes.

For better or worse, Dortmund is a club which goes to a great length to shelter their players and show great patience with them. Critique is basically never made publically but is contained inside he club. Often times the officials even go out of their way and direct the brunt of the media fire onto themselves to protect the players. Everything is geared towards creating a calm and family like atmosphere around the squad. This also leads the media to rather look elsewhere (Schalke, Hamburg, Wolfsburg, etc.) to make juicy headlines, unless CEO Watzke decides to redirect media attention onto one of his sometimes controversial statements.

Mkhitaryan would not be the first star player of Dortmund, who could not handle the shift in enviroments when moving to a different club and from all players who left the club for greener fields he is the one I would be the least confident in being unaffected by it.
Was going to tag you into this thread to get your views, so thanks :D.

The part about Dortmund is very interesting as well - the part about them sheltering/protecting their players because I think we've seen it first hand. Guys like Sahin not being able to replicate his form elsewhere, Gotze not being able to hold down a place in that highly competitive environment at Bayern and obviously with us, Kagawa whose confidence seem to have disappeared when things didn't go well for him.

Obviously their system they employ on the field helps as well.

I think if Mourinho works with someone like Mkhitaryan - it could go one of 2 ways - he'd either not be able to handle any sort of criticism from Mourinho or he'd love working with Mourinho if he turns out to be a favorite for Mourinho (who loves an attacking player who works hard, which Henrikh is). See Willian/AdM etc.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Well, in theory I don't care how they count it as long as everyone counts it the same. It's pointless if assists mean significantly different things depending on the criteria one randomly chooses to use and in theory it should be one of the easier stats to count.

My problem with transfermarkt's way of counting assists is that it reflects creativity even less than for example whoscored's numbers do. And in many discussions assists have become a synonym for the creativity of a player. That's always flawed no matter how you count them, but it's even worse if you use transfermarkt's stats where completely uncreative actions like getting fouled can play a big role in your numbers. It probably comes down to what the assist stat is supposed to reflect compared to how it's used in most football discussions around the world. The transfermarkt stat just looks totally random to me very often.
The guile or skill to regularly win fouls in dangerous positions is definitely 'creative' imo. It isn't an example of a player having good vision or awareness, but creating chances covers more than that.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Let's hope we don't buy him, i have no clue how to pronounce his name....

Snow

How is getting fouled a completely uncreative action? Often you're with the ball close to goal and the foul might prevent a goal. You might have dribbled past players and were in line for getting the assist but got fouled. Someone might have blocked your shot with his hand.

It's not like these kind of assists are skewing the data in any way. If you're getting 4 assists like that a season you're doing something right.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
How is getting fouled a completely uncreative action? Often you're with the ball close to goal and the foul might prevent a goal. You might have dribbled past players and were in line for getting the assist but got fouled. Someone might have blocked your shot with his hand.

It's not like these kind of assists are skewing the data in any way. If you're getting 4 assists like that a season you're doing something right.
I just think it's so random. Some penalties happen out of creative situations, others just because the defender is clumsy in a non-threatening situation or even just because the referee got it wrong.

These stats don't necessarily skew the data, if you compare all assist stats based on the same criteria. Like I've said, I wouldn't mind if every stats website used the same criteria as transfermarkt does. It's better than what we have now with leagues, statistic sites, UEFA, FIFA, football magazines all using their own criteria which can be the same or vary quite a bit.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I just think it's so random. Some penalties happen out of creative situations, others just because the defender is clumsy in a non-threatening situation or even just because the referee got it wrong.

These stats don't necessarily skew the data, if you compare all assist stats based on the same criteria. Like I've said, I wouldn't mind if every stats website used the same criteria as transfermarkt does. It's better than what we have now with leagues, statistic sites, UEFA, FIFA, football magazines all using their own criteria which can be the same or vary quite a bit.
Materazzi showed great creativity when he goaded Zidane into headbutting him.

Snow

It doesn't matter much. No player is getting more than 1-2 assists per season because of pens asides from Barca players because teams don't get many penalties each season. It's not like assists tell you much in a vacuum. If a player is getting 10 assists each season there's obviously something too it but if he's between 2-6 a season there's probably not much of a difference in his game.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He's Armenian, I'm Armenian.

I hope we sign him :)

izec

Think this could be the thread of the summer after the disappointment of Griezmann and probably Pogba. The Norwegian bullshitter linked us to him, lets hope there is something to it

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Think this could be the thread of the summer after the disappointment of Griezmann and probably Pogba. The Norwegian bullshitter linked us to him, lets hope there is something to it
Don't forget Dembele, so many muppet tears :drool:

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Reportedly a fan of Arsenal, but that doesn't always matter. I am fairly sure we can convince him that they are going nowhere with Wenger at the helm, while we are more likely to win something with Mourinho. Also he got sleezeball Raiola as an agent

This coupled with Jose being spotted at Dortmund matches a lot from December onwards makes me believe this one got legs :drool:

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Reportedly a fan of Arsenal, but that doesn't always matter. I am fairly sure we can convince him that they are going nowhere with Wenger at the helm, while we are more likely to win something with Mourinho. Also he got sleezeball Raiola as an agent

This coupled with Jose being spotted at Dortmund matches a lot from December onwards makes me believe this one got legs :drool:
The Europa League maybe?

saivet

I always thought he was a no.10

Think his stats were decent last season?

I rarely watch Dortmund, so I don't consider myself to have a good opinion on him, but when I've watched them, I thought this guy looked shite and to be another workhorse.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The Europa League maybe?
For one year yes. With Jose at the helm and our money I dare wager that we will at a minimum compete with you for the fourth place trophy, the get-in-we-won-a-throw-in competition and the odd cup here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.