Henry vs Cantona - who was better

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If you were to compare Cantona to someone in the modern game, then you'd probably compare him to Zlatan. Someone who doesn't get crazy goal stats, but still is usually the best player on the pitch who influences everything around him.

If you were to compare Henry to someone in the modern game then you'd probably compare him to Benzema. I think Benzema would score a lot more goals in the Premier league for a club like Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea challenging for the title. I don't think Henry had the explosiveness of Mbappe to be compared.
That's the opposite of Zlatan who is overrated in his general play but has the knack for scoring regardless (and some special goals to boot). Someone like Henry at Arsenal seems more similar in his influence on the entire team/match.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cantona was the king of assist back then, maybe people has already forgot that. His visionary pass, throughball, flair and technique was second to none back in those time. I thought he was very similar to Zidane in terms of their style, although their position is different.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Henry takes this one pretty easily.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Gotta go with Henry, but not a great comparison.

owlo

It's akin to asking if Messi or Rooney was the better better player.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Henry, and it's not close.

Henry has a claim for one of the greatest players in the PL, top 5 at least depending on your biases.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Henry by far, the numbers speak for themselves

Diablodave

In terms of overall all round physical abilities such as Pace, Acceleration, Stamina...
Henry

But in terms of technical ability...
pretty even

But mentally.... Composure, Leadership, Bravery, Vision, Decision making....
Eric

Eric was more niche. Its difficult to compare. Both used their skills to their advantage and both succeeded.

Loon

:lol:
A great goal scorer Vs a great leader who often single-handedly pulled his team team to titles. That’s title(S).

Henry by a distance, this isn't brought up anywhere outside of a United forum.
It is even a question here? Virtually everybody is saying Henry was better. Who had the bigger impact on English football though... nobody who watched the PL in the 90s could say anything other than Cantona. He utterly dominated the league.

Lam

If Henry had come to United in 90s, we might not have won all those trophies. And, if Cantona played in that Arsenal team, then they would have mostly won a CL with Henry scoring 35+ goals every season very easily.

Talent wise Henry was definitely better. But impact wise Cantona was way ahead. He can drag an entire club and stand out even when the club had personalities like SAF and Roy Keane.

Eplel

If you look at the stats, yes, Henry is the better player.

But football is not just about stats, if it was, we wouldn't all be here.

Some players rightfully have legend status, and that goes above stats for anyone that is a football fan.

You can make a lot of similar comparisons (Socrates v Neymar, Figo v Di Maria, Zidane v Ozil), but the legend will always win, because that's what your heart says.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Cantona took a perenially underperforming / sleeping giant of a team and led them to 4 PL wins out of 5 (missing one due to his ban), with two of those PL wins being league and cup doubles. He left us in a state to dominate the footballing landscape for another 15 years. He was a lynchpin and talisman for our team in the 90s. Old Trafford was his playground and he ushered in the generation that followed (Fergie's Fledglings) and the passing of the mantle onto Keane. His effect on us cannot be understated.

Henry was a great PL player as well, and purely in terms of talent you'd say Henry is better (although there's not much in it), but in terms of who will go down as being more important, and having a bigger impact, it's Cantona for me everytime.
Also don’t forget Cantona won the league with Leeds the year before he joined us so he’d have won it 92,93,94,95,96,97 if he didn’t get banned!

Far more substance to Eric than Henry.

led_scholes

Talent wise, Henry edges it. But football is more than the technical aspect and as forwards they were different. Cantona was more dynamic-agressive and a stronger leader. Both beautiful players and i m sure that they would have formed a legendary partnership.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Henry was better. Cantona was enigmatic for sure but should have done better in European competition then he did. During this period we went out of a few games where it just didn't click. That's not to knock Eric. He was what we needed. But it's not really a fair comparision. We still had a very good team before Eric game and we might have won the league season prior to the premier league if not for fixture congestion. Not a certainty but it didn't help us that's for sure ...but it was just meant to be.

DomM

Henry was an amazing player, one of the best strikers in the PL, but Eric was King, it was he who finally got United to the top and started the decade of dominance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Henry the more complete footballer that's for sure. Would I have swapped him for Eric though? Not a chance.
Yeah, that’s the answer for me as well.

Cantona vs Bergkamp is certainly a more interesting comparison. Bergkamp probably edges it in terms of pure talent/technique (although it’s close), but Cantona has an edge in terms of mentality.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Henry was the better player. But similar to Shearer being better individually than our strikers backs then, this doesn’t bother me a bit as we were extremely successful with the players we actually had / got anyway.

M15 Red.

Henry was a great player who built a fantastic career for himself with all the goals, assists, trophies and individual accolades, but Cantona was the catalyst for English footballs greatest ever dynasty. That's why for United supporters of my generation, Eric is, and always will be, the king.

Now go home and get your fecking shine box, Thiery.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It is even a question here? Virtually everybody is saying Henry was better. Who had the bigger impact on English football though... nobody who watched the PL in the 90s could say anything other than Cantona. He utterly dominated the league.
That's not the question OP was asking in the thread. Just saying, this would be laughed at anywhere outside of a United forum.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Henry, that's not a slight on Cantona who was obviously excellent. For my money, Henry's the best attacker in PL history, after Ronnie of course.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Henry was on another level between 04 and 06. Didn’t see Cantona live but I’d be surprised if he was as good as Henry. From what I have seen though they were totally different players. Henry was a goalscorer and Eric played off the front man?

Oranges038

Different players.

Henry had more pace, maybe was better technically and pretty much scored the same goal every week with a few exceptions. He could be bullied out of games, but for a time that whole Arsenal team was week and could be. He went onto Barca and he played well but was never the same level as at Arsneal.

Cantona was a more intelligent player, he had better vision, control, passing, he was stronger, never allowed himself to be bullied. He didn't score with the same finish over and over, he was more of an off the cuff player and that made him better to watch.

For me Cantona was a better player, he just had a more about him as a player and that includes his aura.

Hughes35

Cantona was great but Henry is the best to play in the Prem, along with Ronaldo.

tidraKS

Henry was miles better. Cantona had 2-3 good seasons while Henry was successful in 10 years.

redrobed

Henry was faster, quicker and had more acceleration. In all other aspects I’d have to say King Eric was better.

tomaldinho1

Very different players. Who was better Kaka or Raul?

I think longevity has to be a factor, despite them playing different roles, and Henry was world class for longer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cantona by some distance. Henry was a great player but there are lots of really great players but very few with Cantona's technical ability, flash of genius and ability to lift those around him.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Why did Cantona perform poorly for France and in Europe with Utd? Those are the big question marks over him