Hero bull kills top Spanish matador on live TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What's everyone think of The Rodeo? Bull riding and such. No one tries to kill the bulls, just see how long they can ride them.
I love watching bull riding. Although the bulls are subject to some mistreatment they're treated well overall as a top bull brings a lot of money and prestige to the breeder, so there's an interest in keeping them safe and healthy.

Not so keen on calf roping and chuck-wagon racing, though. A lot of horses die in those races every year.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A matador is more akin to a really fecked up slaughterhouse worker than a consumer. Would I care if one of the cows killed the slaughterhouse worker in the story below. Probably not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-bludgeoned-death-sledgehammers-Vietnam.html

Also, Spain isn't a less developed country. There might be a need for education in a developing country but in Spain, you would have hoped they'd be more clued on regarding animal welfare.
Slaughterhouse workers are often forced to work there because of their economic circumstances; many of them get PTSD. Crime rates are higher around slaughterhouses too. It's not a pleasant job and indeed has a lot of risks - a struggling 500kg cow can injure.
https://vegansofcolor.wordpress.com...e-emotional-cost-of-killing-animals-for-food/

Bulls are unintelligent 1000 pound animals with huge horns and massive amounts of testosterone, what do you expect?

The idea that animal slaughter is comparable is frankly a massive stretch. I'm sure that not ALL animal slaughterhouses are humane but in most civilised countries there are laws and regulations put in place to try to ensure that animals killed for consumption are done so as humanely possible. There really would be no reason not to, the people that do not follow these regulations are doing so immorally and (in most civilised societies) illegally. It's not comparable, unless you work under the assumption that all slaughterhouses have a similar process to inflicting what the bulls go through before a fight, if you believe that these slaughterhouses are in the majority then you sincerely need help. These animals are killed to be ate, you cannot compare an animal being killed in a factory to an animal that has experienced all of the above bullet points and killed for entertainment purposes. You could argue that neither are morally correct but the differences are vast. People eat meat largely for taste and nutritional purposes, I don't think people jeer their meat before they eat it.
I'm using the US as the example because it has the among the highest meat productions (maybe next to China). AFAIK there are no animal cruelty laws of any nature in China, so that covers the largest numbers of animals. In Europe where you would hope to find better standards, there was the horsemeat scandal, which gives an idea about how closely inspectors are looking.
Anyway, in the US, which is best documented,

• There are no federal laws governing the conditions in which farmed animals are raised?
  • The majority of farmed animal suffering is exempt from state criminal anti-cruelty laws?
  • Many individual state criminal anti-cruelty laws exempt “standard” or “commonly accepted” agricultural practices, which are not defined by the legislature?
The 3rd point is is why things like gestation crates, farrowing crates, unanaesthesised castration, tail docking, and debeaking, and many others I can't recall, which are "standard" are also legal. (Disturbing quotes.) Oh, and everything to do with foie gras and veal.

Last edited:

NoLogo

How has this escaped EU laws?
Wasn't there an initiative in the EU parliament a few years back that was supposed to end bull fighting? I remember reading something about this and how Spaniards were furious about the undemocratic EU forcing their laws on them, can't quite remember if the threatened to exit the EU but I definitely remember there being a fuzz about this topic.

Seems like nothing came of it though.

Diver

....and nobody likes a diver.
Watch Diver Shoots His Load In The General
https://www.animallaw.info/administrative/us-slaughter-humane-slaughter-livestock-regulations <<< USA Regulations. These are put in place to minimize the discomfort the animals experience and to put them down as humanely as possibly. Now it's a slaughterhouse, the name slaughterhouse is never going to be a pleasant place for an animal to be but there are laws in place to try to ensure that across the board it is expected to be carried out as humanely as possible.

I believe that every industry has a dark side and I'm sure there is a enough evidence to support that there is an issue with the livestock/slaughterhouse industry but I have to (want to!) believe that the majority of slaughterhouses in progressed parts of the world operate appropriately and abide by the moral and ethical expectations of a civilized society (I'm sure there are some horrific places for this but I'm referring to more progressed locations for treatment of livestock), I'm sure there will be evidence to support that this isn't always the case but I want to think that the majority are run by decent, normal people and not sociopathic Disney style villains. My point earlier is that I can't see how comparing Bullfighting which is an act with so many unnecessary and negative facets attached to it and the expected humane slaughter of livestock has any weight and it just seems that pro-bullfighting people are grasping for anything to defend this archaic and entirely unnecessary act. I have to hope and assume that there aren't large baying crowds of 24k jeering the animals in slaughterhouses before they are put down. Countries progress over time, I'm English and public executions used to be apart of our culture, as did burning witches.

I have to assume that most people into bullfighting do not realize what happens to the bulls to ensure that the fight will NEARLY ALWAYS end in the favor of the matador. There's no sport to it, only macabre snuff theatre.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I was talking about regulations during their life in the factory farm, not the (very often un-supervised) regulations at the slaughterhouse. To compare it to what you were talking about: the bulls being prepared before the fight.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Well least its banned in Catalonia and the canary islands. But good on that poor animal, like fox hunting banned over here this sort of thing should be banned nationwide in spain.

Parry Gallister

No, not good. It's barbaric and shouldn't be happening in the 21st century but it's a person being talked about. Rather a thousand bulls die than a single person.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A human that offered nothing but suffering to a helpless animal that would act like a pet if given the opportunity. He's acted like a tit and made a career of it. Game over.
A fully-grown bull is the scariest animal I've encountered with no fence in between us, other than my stepmother.

jackofalltrades

The death of this bullfighter has captured the headlines but it's the first one for maybe 25 years. What has gone unnoticed is the fact that this month two people have been killed by bulls in village/town fiestas. This is far from unusual. Last summer there were more than two deaths.

In part this is because these "popular" festivals allow people to run around in front of the bull in, typically. a square. If the bull starts chasing you, your only option may be to escape through the cage-like bars enclosing the square. These have to be wide enough to allow a person through. But obviously the bull can gore someone even though they're on the other side of the bars.

The other day a woman was trapped in the bars because she was carrying a rucksack which made it difficult for her to get through the bars. She was killed.

A couple of years ago, in the midst of the present recession, there was a debate or mini-referendum ( I forget which) in one village. The question was whether to spend council money on fiestas or employ people in the town hall temporarily to give them work, albeit for a short time or to gain work experience. The fiestas won.

This attitude is deeply ingrained in Spain, which shows the difficlty of banning bullfighting. One advance has been the hold on the "bull of Tordesillas", which is where all those wishing to can take part in hunting down the bull. The "winner" is the one that lands the final killer blow. It's a truly barbaric "festival".

Last edited:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Last Summer there some 12 to 15 deaths if I recall corectly. We're only in 3 this year but end of Summer will bring more. I'm talking bull-runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.