Herrera and Fellaini

Oneunited26

Listen, I don't disagree that we need signings in the midfield area, my disagreement was on the fact that @NMF said none of our current midfielders can play quick tempo football. I personally think Cleverley and Carrick can play quick tempo football. It was only the season before last, where we walked the league, with Carrick and Cleverley being our main midfield partnership, where they both showed the can play at a quick tempo.

I just think it goes to show what a lack of confidence can do. Last year, arguably most, if not all of our players suffered from a lack of confidence. With Van Gaal coming in and implementing, what I would hope, a system with quick tempo football, with numerous options off the ball, will hopefully instil that confidence back into our players, where as a result, we should see better performances.
The irony with the midfield, if they had better wide players out midfield would not be so exposed

Gannicus

Let's just nip in the bud now ANY talk of a central midfield pairing that includes Fellaini. It's not that he's a horrible footballer, as he could prove to be a useful squad man. But Fellaini is nowhere good enough to be in any starting XI against a top 10 premiership. Sure, he can fill in against the likes of QPR or West Brom, but h'd be slaughtered against Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

Please, let us speak of this no more.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's just nip in the bud now ANY talk of a central midfield pairing that includes Fellaini. It's not that he's a horrible footballer, as he could prove to be a useful squad man. But Fellaini is nowhere good enough to be in any starting XI against a top 10 premiership. Sure, he can fill in against the likes of QPR or West Brom, but h'd be slaughtered against Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

Please, let us speak of this no more.
You're right.

To the Fletcher and Cleverley thread

Walters_19_MuFc

No, his just prefers to play at a slower tempo.

Why would you expect, that stupid petition by England fans, deleting his twitter because he was getting constant abuse, for the sake of his own career he'd best look for a move where expectations aren't so high.

While he was good that game he had some horror performances like against Sunderland at Old Trafford when we lost 1-0 him and Carrick put in one of the worst midfield performances I've ever seen but you can't solely blame him since his illness has taken away his energy and drive to go from box to box it's a shame but we need better options.
He actually doesn't. Carrick is forever keeping the ball moving.

He was fine under SAF, or are you just basing this on one season, where more or less every players confidence and performances dropped?

He probably did have some horror performances, but lets not forget the debate was on you saying our players couldn't move the ball at a quick tempo. Fletcher, despite his illness, shown against Swansea that he can still move the ball at a quick tempo, and that was last season. Like I said, though, that's not to say I don't think we need fresh faces in, because I agree that we do.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
van Gaal discussed assessing the players as to ascertain if they can or cannot fit his system. Does anyone honestly think Fellaini can fit van Gaal's system? I don't. At all.

Walters_19_MuFc

Of course, yeah. But I'd be very surprised if van Gaal utilised him. He's a player designed for kick and rush football, fast, direct and in your face. Nothing like what van Gaal has implemented in the past.
Probably because that's what we've seen in the past from Moyes at Everton, but Fellaini certainly wasn't that type of player under Martinez. Martinez used him as a defensive midfielder.

KiD MoYeS

Probably because that's what we've seen in the past from Moyes at Everton, but Fellaini certainly wasn't that type of player under Martinez. Martinez used him as a defensive midfielder.
In what? Three or four games? I think its safe to assume Martinez wouldn't have him back.

NMF

He actually doesn't. Carrick is forever keeping the ball moving.

He was fine under SAF, or are you just basing this on one season, where more or less every players confidence and performances dropped?

He probably did have some horror performances, but lets not forget the debate was on you saying our players couldn't move the ball at a quick tempo. Fletcher, despite his illness, shown against Swansea that he can still move the ball at a quick tempo, and that was last season. Like I said, though, that's not to say I don't think we need fresh faces in, because I agree that we do.
But he also insists on taking one to many touches thus slowing down our play we played high tempo stuff with Cleverley and Anderson in midfield.

He was good but nothing special. He dropped of quite a bit and was dropped after his performance against Chelsea in the Fa cup. Like I said he could make an acceptable squad player but he'd be better of going to a club like Everton he'd get more game time.

Not sure with Fletcher id rather we replaced him. Id keep Cleverley as a squad player over him.

Walters_19_MuFc

But he also insists on taking one to many touches thus slowing down our play we played high tempo stuff with Cleverley and Anderson in midfield.

He was good but nothing special. He dropped of quite a bit and was dropped after his performance against Chelsea in the Fa cup. Like I said he could make an acceptable squad player but he'd be better of going to a club like Everton he'd get more game time.

Not sure with Fletcher id rather we replaced him. Id keep Cleverley as a squad player over him.
I just think you missing the whole point of this debate. You may feel Cleverley and Fletcher are not good enough, or are squad players at best, but my point was that they can, and have shown last season, that they can move the ball at a fast pace.

Walters_19_MuFc

In what? Three or four games? I think its safe to assume Martinez wouldn't have him back.
Why do three or four game matter? That was the period of time he was there for before we bought him. Who's to say Martinez wouldn't have continued using him there? Although only a few games, Fellaini was showing signs that he could in fact play in a Martinez system. Fact is, he didn't play him as a number 10 like Moyesy did anyway, and I doubt he had any intention of doing so, as that simply isn't the Martinez way.

KiD MoYeS

Why do three or four game matter? That was the period of time he was there for before we bought him. Who's to say Martinez wouldn't have continued using him there? Although only a few games, Fellaini was showing signs that he could in fact play in a Martinez system. Fact is, he didn't play him as a number 10 like Moyesy did anyway, and I doubt he had any intention of doing so, as that simply isn't the Martinez way.
Well he proved useless when deployed as a holding player for Manchester United, and I'm also sure Everton were happy to sell him. Fellaini is a good player, he just does not fit our club and should be sold.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well he proved useless when deployed as a holding player for Manchester United, and I'm also sure Everton were happy to sell him. Fellaini is a good player, he just does not fit our club and should be sold.
Fellaini was very rarely used as a holding midfielder for us, as he was often partnered Carrick, which meant Fellani had to be the more attacking midfielder. Also, you say he proved useless when playing for us, but again, it can't be compared as we weren't playing the same football Martinez played, where he looked anything but useless, although only playing 4 games.

Like I've said in previous posts, this is not to say Fellaini will come good under Van Gaal, who knows? Maybe Van Gaal won't even play him as a holding midfielder. I just think it's harsh judging our players after the disastrous season we had.

KiD MoYeS

Fellaini was very rarely used as a holding midfielder for us, as he was often partnered Carrick, which meant Fellani had to be the more attacking midfielder. Also, you say he proved useless when playing for us, but again, it can't be compared as we weren't playing the same football Martinez played, where he looked anything but useless, although only playing 4 games.

Like I've said in previous posts, this is not to say Fellaini will come good under Van Gaal, who knows? Maybe Van Gaal won't even play him as a holding midfielder. I just think it's harsh judging our players after the disastrous season we had.
I'm judging him in general, he is not a Manchester United player and should be sold.

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm judging him in general, he is not a Manchester United player and should be sold.
That's your opinion. Van Gaal said he's willing to give everyone a chance and he's the manager so we'll have to wait and see, like I said before. I have no doubt Fellaini be out if he doesn't perform, though. Same goes for a few other players.