Herrera and Fellaini

NMF

I'm worried now that we are really not going to sign anyone until the US tour is finished :nervous:

Mister Ed

I guess

----Jones----
Herrera--Fellaini

will be the midfield in Carricks absence and if don't manage to get a good replacement in.

NMF

I guess

----Jones----
Herrera--Fellaini

will be the midfield in Carricks absence and if don't manage to get a good replacement in.
Caf meltdown. While we're at it Young and Valencia on the wings.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Herrera and Fellaini is like ordering a nice pizza and then someone covering it in shit.

Walters_19_MuFc

Well, Van Gaal stated in the press conference today that he's willing to give everyone a chance to see how they work under his philosophy.

Based on how Fellaini played under Martinez; who shares a similar philosophy to Van Gaal, I don't see why Fellaini can't be used as a defensive midfielder next to a dynamic, ball playing midfielder in Herrera. That's how Martinez played him anyway. This is not to say he was anything special at Everton, but he certainly looked a lot more confident on the ball, in a team that demanded at least 4 to 5 options off the ball.

At Man United, his confidence, along with many others seemed to have gone. Players were scared to get on the ball, there weren't always a number options off the ball, which led to players giving it away or hoofing it up the pitch. I have no doubt this will happen under Van Gaal's philosophy.

I'm not going sit here and say Fellaini will be a success under Van Gaal, but i'll be glad if he's given a chance. If Van Gaal's not convinced in about a month's time, I have no doubt he'll be looking to sell him.

Ringo 07

I couldn't imagine LVG would ever have Fellaini in his midfield so I'm pretty sure he'll go for Cleverley and Herrera. The words Fellaini and Total football in all honesty should never be mentioned in the same sentence...I hope Fellaini finds a new club for his own sake as he is a decent player as a number 10 in a long ball team but maybe LVG may hold onto him for another season as back up if we can't land another midfielder.......If LVG could turn Fellaini into a decent central midfielder then he deserves the manager of the year award come the end of the season even if we don't win anything

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think this confirms our interest in another midfielder, Vidal or otherwise. We all thought we would be signing someone, but this pretty much means it's dead on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think this confirms our interest in another midfielder, Vidal or otherwise. We all thought we would be signing someone, but this pretty much means it's dead on.
Hopefully it means it will be two instead of one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
--Herrera-Rooney--
Januzaj-Mata-Kagawa/Welbeck
---------RVP----------

And the problem solves itself. We get two mobile midfielders, Mata and RVP play in their preferred positions.
Seriously though, only other solution that comes to mind is Jones but that's seems unrealistic.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well, Van Gaal stated in the press conference today that he's willing to give everyone a chance to see how they work under his philosophy.

Based on how Fellaini played under Martinez; who shares a similar philosophy to Van Gaal, I don't see why Fellaini can't be used as a defensive midfielder next to a dynamic, ball playing midfielder in Herrera. That's how Martinez played him anyway. This is not to say he was anything special at Everton, but he certainly looked a lot more confident on the ball, in a team that demanded at least 4 to 5 options off the ball.

At Man United, his confidence, along with many others seemed to have gone. Players were scared to get on the ball, there weren't always a number options off the ball, which led to players giving it away or hoofing it up the pitch. I have no doubt this will happen under Van Gaal's philosophy.

I'm not going sit here and say Fellaini will be a success under Van Gaal, but i'll be glad if he's given a chance. If Van Gaal's not convinced in about a month's time, I have no doubt he'll be looking to sell him.
Martinez? How many games did Fellaini play under Martinez then?

caid

Just no to fellaini as a cm. I'd take literally anyone in the squad ahead of him there.

Walters_19_MuFc

Martinez? How many games did Fellaini play under Martinez then?
Not many, but what I'm trying to say is, the signs were there. Signs of confidence on the ball, good passing, tackling, etc. Those are the signs he's very rarely showed for us last season.

Blue always red

It will be Cleverley - Herrera and this will be the season where Cleverley finally realises his potential. I can just imagine a 5 pass play in the middle of the field between Herrera and Cleverley which results in the ball being played through to an on-rushing Valencia who strikes a sweet ball into the stomach of the opposition RB.

Fix the RW problem FFS, most of our attacks originate down that freakin' side!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It will be Cleverley - Herrera and this will be the season where Cleverley finally realises his potential. I can just imagine a 5 pass play in the middle of the field between Herrera and Cleverley which results in the ball being played through to an on-rushing Valencia who strikes a sweet ball into the stomach of the opposition RB.

Fix the RW problem FFS, most of our attacks originate down that freakin' side!
Our defence needs serious protecting, a midfield of Cleverley and Herrera couldn't provide that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That has got to be one of the worst midfield pairings in history. It's got Fellaini in it.

No but seriously, that clearly won't work. And surely van Gaal will send Fellaini packing anyway.
You could make a strong argument for any and all of Fellaini, Cleverley, Fletcher and Anderson being sold. We'll have to wait and see which ones LvG thinks are the least useless but I don't think we can be certain that Fellaini will leave.

KiD MoYeS

We can argue about any potential midfield partnership but the harsh truth remains that we're still a quality midfielder away from any sort of midfield duo that can allow us to compete for trophies during the duration of the season.

Blue always red

Our defence needs serious protecting, a midfield of Cleverley and Herrera couldn't provide that.
Would you not say it depends more on how we set up? Even if someone hates Cleverley (which I'm not saying you do) they cannot deny that he keeps hold of the ball very well, and Herrera also has a knack for keeping the ball when under pressure. If we were to play a high defensive line utilising a possession based setup, it could work, couldn't it? Both of them are quick across the ground and there were statistics to show CLeveley is very decent as tackling, and we already know Herrera can do it. Couple that with the eagerness of Shaw and Rafael to get up and down the field and I reckon it might just work.

It would require us phasing out wingers and utilising a more Man City-esque attack with Mata and Kagawa being our Silva and Nasri. Could it work? Possibly, but I sill reckon we'll go in for another CM who can spread play.

KiD MoYeS

Would you not say it depends more on how we set up? Even if someone hates Cleverley (which I'm not saying you do) they cannot deny that he keeps hold of the ball very well, and Herrera also has a knack for keeping the ball when under pressure. If we were to play a high defensive line utilising a possession based setup, it could work, couldn't it? Both of them are quick across the ground and there were statistics to show CLeveley is very decent as tackling, and we already know Herrera can do it. Couple that with the eagerness of Shaw and Rafael to get up and down the field and I reckon it might just work.

It would require us phasing out wingers and utilising a more Man City-esque attack with Mata and Kagawa being our Silva and Nasri. Could it work? Possibly, but I sill reckon we'll go in for another CM who can spread play.
I certainly wouldn't argue that it couldn't work here and there, but throughout the entirety of a season it would not suffice as a partnership. We still need a quality addition, at least one, to our midfield.

Ekeke

The issue with any of our midfields without Carrick is that nobody else spots danger and sees things off before we need last gasp sliding tackles. Thats what Carrick used to bring to the table. Even he wasn't able to do it last season, so expect us to have a lot of trouble with players in the hole without him. Not having someone who will take responsibility in that position will make us a lot easier to play against.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yup, I agree. Cleverley has a part to play, and it could work against teams in which we will control majority of possession.

caid

I think the only option that does is fletcher, or jones i guess.
At least cleverley is a midfielder, which is more than fellaini can claim.
None of our options are good really but theres quite a few that are less horrifying than fellaini.

Oneunited26

Like I say, the cold hard reality of our midfield options

herrera fletcher cleverly anderson fellaini

let that sink in

With carrick out, we are relying on herrera who has never experience a PL game, and he's playing alongside with such dire shit beside him. There is giving people a chance, but cleverly fletcher and anderson have had enough chances for different circumstances, and fellaini is just not an out an out CM player. VG is good, but hes not some laptop junky playing football manager, that can change the ability's of his squad, where he can turn young fellaini and cleverly into xavi iniesta and messi. That is the reality, we need new midfielders, and losing carrick to injury weakens our squad.

Brightonian

How do you know what he wants?
I don't. I was guessing based on what he must have seen. Not everyone predicting someone's attitude is claiming to have an inside track to their brain, you know. If I say 'I'm sure Cameron is feeling surprisingly positive about his chances in the upcoming election' it doesn't mean I'm claiming to have just had a phonecall with him.

Bwuk

I'd rather Herrera and Anderson out of all those options tbh.

Not that it's saying much

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Might be worth mentioning that we won't necessarily depend on a midfield partnership as much as we used to. People talk about the "Carrick role", for instance, but that role may not exist anymore as we've known it.

Even the much hated Fellaini could have his uses in a midfield three of some description - far more so than in a "duo" of the sort we may not use at all under LVG.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'd sooner like to see a Jones, Cleverley and Herrera midfield than have Fellaini in there.