Herrera confirms his departure

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I really hate where the club has headed. Handing out contracts to the likes of Young and Jones while they keep failing manager after a manager and letting a player, who was more than good enough for us and actually cared about the club and should be made captain, go fits into the mess that United have become.

Adam-Utd

I'm sure we're going to keep seeing more and more players leaving on a free. That's how you get the real big salaries.
At this point I can see the whole scope of transfers changing.

More and more players leaving on free deals and getting higher wages - clubs will be forced to transfer players much sooner than usual.

I can see players signing much shorter deals in the future and just moving from club to club for little transfer fees. The concept of paying £80+ million for a player to lose that in 4-5 years is crazy.

el3mel

And that's it, the only player I loved in the squad left. Pretty much the only player who showed any passion and caring for the shirt while playing.

But who cares, throw 4+1 years contract at Jones and give Young another contract extension though.

Then people wonder why we are shite and sixth.

Full bodied red

I'm more sad about our concierge leaving than this. I'm happy the club haven't bowed down to his demands. It's just unfortunate we're getting nothing for him.

Drinkwater and Chelsea come to mind....

One of the very few that gave a shit. So sad.

First Fellaini and now Herrera - seems we're determined to move out anyone who actually does give a shit....Although having said that, I can't really think of any others in our current squad that do give a shit other than Shaw, so I guess he'll be next.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I really hate where the club has headed. Handing out contracts to the likes of Young and Jones while they keep failing manager after a manager and letting a player, who was more than good enough for us and actually cared about the club and should be made captain, go fits into the mess that United have become.
Probably for the homegrown quota, but lazy because they cannot grasp that actually there might be better options out there who would also count as homegrown. Much easier to just give this dross yet another contract. 'Give me the pen. Where do I sign Ed?'

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
One of a few players at this club I actually like and we let him feck off for free whilst renewing the likes of Jones and Young. Have to laugh at this stage.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool

Thought it was worth its own thread.

Good luck.
It's a nice video and maybe its driven by the club, but part of me thinks....oh shut up and leave quietly.

Can you imagine an ex girlfriend doing a break up video...sorry we've had great times, some of the best moments...but I'm gone.. laterz!

Woodzy

In terms of the right attitude there are literally zero players in our squad that should have been kept ahead of him. As far as ability is concerned, not the best but again probably about 9 or 10 players that we should ship before him and that includes pretty much every midfielder aside from Pogba (who also may not be here next season).

Overall, it's the wrong player to lose and a huge blow when we have such a large rebuilding job to do anyway.

POF

Nice video. He leaves with the same level of class that he has shown throughout his 5 years at the club.

The club didn't want him enough and he got a far better offer. He'd be stupid not to take it. Best of luck to him. Unfortunately, with the club's recent history of signings to replace him and now losing him for nothing, it's the club and not him that needs luck.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The club didn't leave it late. He was offered a contract at the same time as the others but they signed and he didn't because he wanted £200k a week and we refused to meet his demands.

Stop pretending he's been hard done by, he wasn't offered a 0 hour contract, he was offered a very lucrative deal and if he doesn't want to accept it and he thinks he do better elsewhere then good for him. But let's stop pretending Herrera is a victim here shall we?

His contract situation has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but him.
They left it late with the difference that while the tripe were desperate to sign as there was no other alternative to us, ander did have an alternative to us ie a club who is not managed by some rookie and who will be in the CL next season

el3mel

Every single thing in the club is crap. Crap players remaining and good players leaving. Incompetent board, incompetent CEO, terrible football and terrible results.

Not even a single piece of good news or optimistic thing I can think about.

Depressing days to be a United supporter. That's rock bottom.

thesheriffjw

BIG loss. After pogba, he is utds next best midfielder.

A worker, a runner, a tackler and also the right temperament.

How on earth he can be allowed to leave on free is beyond me?

What a classy video message from a lad who could teach many of the others a thing or two

Shark

@NotShark
Bye.

I respect him for always giving his all, but signing average players like him is one of the reasons we are where we are.
Signing Jones on a 5 year contract is the reason we are where we are. Herrera was at least a great squad player, a player you’d definitely need on your side in a title race.

Seanus

He is a decent player but not worth the 200k a week or the 20 pages this thread will run to. Shooting is appalling, just looked good cos he put effort in-- accept this is more than some did but not like we have lost a Scholes level player.
Move on .....

Cathy Ferguson

If Pogba leaves and since Matic is not good enough then we would need to replace our entire midfield. McTominay can probably fill in for Herrera, but we would then have to sign two top players and have Garner, Matic and Fred as backup.

PlayerOne

Probably for the homegrown quota, but lazy because they cannot grasp that actually there might be better options out there who would also count as homegrown. Much easier to just give this dross yet another contract. 'Give me the pen. Where do I sign Ed?'
Is that why Young is made captain and plays almost every game? If the homegrown quota is the reason then we're even more fecked than I thought we were. I'm still convinced Ander would have a deal on lower wages if he was offered one a while ago, but here we are, all to save a bit more money.

Acole9

Outstanding
What were his demands? I don’t have a clue. If they were around £110-£130k a week then we’re fecking idiots for not giving him it because that’s what bloody Jones and Young got. But if it’s upwards of say £175k a week then I’m glad we’re finally growing a back bone.
What @crossy1686 has said, apparently £200k a week. He's having a laugh.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Signing Jones on a 5 year contract is the reason we are where we are. Herrera was at least a great squad player, a player you’d definitely need on your side in a title race.
Can we stop mentioning Jones? I was against that renewal too. Also not a smart squad signing for the money he was demanding.

Acole9

Outstanding
No thanks, we shouldn't be celebrating people who leave and mediocracy
Seconded, I don't want any of these clowns thinking they're entitled to goodbyes, they don't deserve it after this season.

crossy1686

career ending
They left it late with the difference that while the tripe were desperate to sign as there was no other alternative to us, ander did have an alternative to us ie a club who is not managed by some rookie and who will be in the CL next season
Or they realise which side their breads buttered on and have the right mentality to help with the strong dressing room culture we're looking to build upon in the next couple of years. You're kidding yourself if you think those players don't have alternatives, it might not be Real Madrid but they will have good offers from elsewhere, just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

PSG wouldn't even be interested in him if they weren't being fecked by FFP.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't think Pogba is leaving now. 3 CMs would be too much after Herrera Fellaini and Pogba

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Is that why Young is made captain and plays almost every game? If the homegrown quota is the reason then we're even more fecked than I thought we were. I'm still convinced Ander would have a deal on lower wages if he was offered one a while ago, but here we are, all to save a bit more money.
Young plays almost every game because he’s better than other alternates.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So you think we should offer him 200K/week multi-year contract?
If we had re-negotiated his contract when we should say 12month ago, we would not be paying him that. PSG have thrown that spanner in the works. If someone offered me that I would snatch their hands off.

el3mel

People will keep blaming him for asking for a higher contract. He was earning 75k while Young is earning 110k ffs. We gave Martial a bloody 250k a contract just few months ago

He has every right to ask for similar salary as those players.

Good luck for him in PSG and let's enjoy our Jones , Young and the 250k Martial next season.

crossy1686

career ending
Phil Jones is not responsible for the downfall of Manchester United since Alex Ferguson left. Behave.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't think I've ever seen something like that from a departing player, guess because normally they leave because they're being forced to/sold

Shame he and Mata the only real professionals that have been bought post SAF are the ones that we're not giving new contracts to but then I guess that sums up the sorry state of affairs

SoCross

Contract should have been renewed ages ago. Club really is in shambles, Ole will have his work cut out.

Patrick08

People will keep blaming him for asking for a higher contract. He was earning 75k while Young is earning 110k ffs. We gave Martial a bloody 250k a contract just few months ago

He has every right to ask for similar salary as those players.

Good luck for him in PSG and let's enjoy our Jone, Young and the 250k Martial next season.
No wonder we a a hollow brand now.

cyril C

He only asked for that because the club were pissing about and hadn't offered him a contract earlier.
If you are talking about whether we should give him an offer 12 months ago, I think we already did. That's why we triggered the 1 year extension while he was considering it. If you are talking about whether we should give him a new contract 18-24 months ago, may be we should 2 years ago because I recall he did quite well under Mourinho season 1, but I don't know and can't recall any story on him 2 years ago.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Or they realise which side their breads buttered on and have the right mentality to help with the strong dressing room culture we're looking to build upon in the next couple of years. You're kidding yourself if you think those players don't have alternatives, it might not be Real Madrid but they will have good offers from elsewhere, just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

PSG wouldn't even be interested in him if they weren't being fecked by FFP.
I very much doubt that a top club would keep a shit injury prone player solely on what? Facial expressions? Just ask fans who would they prefer to keep between herrera and jones