Heynckes back to Bayern!

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Curious how that turns out.
Most 2nd stints coaches had for clubs/NT which I remember ranged from decidedly worse to straight up hilarious failures.

Actually one rare case who did well is Van Gaal..
I don't know what exact second stint you're referring to, at Barcelona in 2002 it was nothing short of disaster. He was sacked in December while they were 13th in the table or thereabouts.

Regarding Heynckes, it is interesting that he is widely regarded as some sort of an all time great coach here, and yet there are no expectations whatsoever even taking into account that it is not ideal to take over a club during the season. On the other hand Guardiola is widely lambasted as a failure despite three titles and three CL semifinals.

Reactions: Sly

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't know what exact second stint you're referring to, at Barcelona in 2002 it was nothing short of disaster. He was sacked in December while they were 13th in the table or thereabouts.

Regarding Heynckes, it is interesting that he is widely regarded as some sort of an all time great coach here, and yet there are no expectations whatsoever even taking into account that it is not ideal to take over a club during the season. On the other hand Guardiola is widely lambasted as a failure despite three titles and three CL semifinals.
Taking Holland to 3rd place at the last WC was pretty decent for a second stint I reckon.
Hitzfeld might also deserve a mention in that regard. He went out with the double at his second Bayern stay.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Taking Holland to 3rd place at the last WC was pretty decent for a second stint I reckon.
Hitzfeld might also deserve a mention in that regard. He went out with the double at his second Bayern stay.
My bad, first second stint that came to mind was Barcelona, i forgot about Holland. And yes, it was borderline great considering their group and overall lack of expectations.

SATA

Would love it if they had gave the job to van Gaal and will definitely follow Bayern's results out of interest

Sad Chris

Sorry but that's nonsense.
Maybe for a Bayern supporter you‘d stand by him the way I‘d stand by Ferguson if he returned.

But as a non-Bayern supporter I‘d count it as a failure if they didn‘t win a title. And of course it‘d taint my view of him, he‘s not above criticism. I‘m sure the Bayern bosses expect him to win stuff, too. He‘s surely not getting a pass, caretaker or not. It‘s way too early to use that excuse.

I‘ll eat my words if he does impress though.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's worth noting that Heynckes' return is not a done deal.

The scenes if it should not stand... :lol:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I've always hated Bayern but always loved watching Heynckes' teams play when in full swing. I know it's not realistic to expect anything like that treble winning team, but surely he's the right man to get the likes of Coman and James playing to their full potential.

Possibly even a renaissance for Robben and Ribery. Not to their prime peaks, but the kind of contributions Giggs made for us in his latter years.

Anyway, Heynckes has always been a likeable manager. I admit that I'd like to see him do well, so long as we don't meet them in the CL.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Completely out of the blue. His Bayern were just a tank. Really enjoyed watching them.

Uniqueusername52119

Good post. Spot on.

You also don't necessarily have to manage the biggest teams in the world, to be one of the best managers. Sometimes its a bigger achievement, if you turn a bad side into an average/decent side, instead of winning trophies with the best sides.
Or being Brian Clough and doing both. Twice.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Maybe for a Bayern supporter you‘d stand by him the way I‘d stand by Ferguson if he returned.

But as a non-Bayern supporter I‘d count it as a failure if they didn‘t win a title. And of course it‘d taint my view of him, he‘s not above criticism. I‘m sure the Bayern bosses expect him to win stuff, too. He‘s surely not getting a pass, caretaker or not. It‘s way too early to use that excuse.

I‘ll eat my words if he does impress though.
How can it be Heynckes failure if the squad is not good enough anymore? He didn't even had a preparation time in summer, and no transfers of his choice (such as Martinez back then, just the summer before he won the treble).

Bojan11

How can it be Heynckes failure if the squad is not good enough anymore? He didn't even had a preparation time in summer, and no transfers of his choice (such as Martinez back then, just the summer before he won the treble).
Your squad is still miles better than anyone in the leagues, so let's not kid ourselves.

If he said something along the lines of him being a failure if he can't win the champions league then yeah I'd agree with you. But your squad should definitely win the league.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I wish him all the best. The conditions for a takeover couldn't be much worse. No pre-season, no existing staff, internal dissonances within the team. Winning the Bundesliga from 5 points down would already be an achievement.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He wasn't average at Bilbao. He took over a team that fought against relegation, steadily improved them and finished in 5th place in his second season there. I'd call that pretty impressive. He played brilliant football at Gladbach during the 80's and his first spell at Bayern was pretty impressive as well. He was truely unlucky to go out against Sacchi's Milan side in the European Cup. Don't know much about his time at Benfica and his time at Frankfurt was obviously a disaster, but overall he had a pretty impressive career as a manager, finding and developing some worldclass players and winning quite a few important trophies. He's a two time CL winner, reaching one more final.

That you talk about his second spell at Gladbach, which lasted 6 months, and ignore his first time there when he stayed 8 years in charge and proved himself as a worthy successor of Lattek at Bayern says a lot about how much you know about his career. The comparison to one hit wonder Ranieri is beyond laughable. You could easily argue that he's 3rd best German manager of all time after Lattek and Hitzfeld and we had plenty of excellent ones.
He was shocking at Benfica but he wasn't the main culprit. He had a very poor squad and Benfica at the time, was in a deep crisis with an awful President who was thief. He will always be known by this

Schneckerl

Meant the Dutch NT finishing 3rd in 2014.

It would be Jupp's FOURTH time at Bayern :lol:
Third time was the charm. ^^
Damn you're right, quite a big timeframe between his first and the following ones.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
They look in pretty formidable form at the moment. I think people have slept on them since they got butchered by PSG but they've caught fire since Ancelloti got sacked.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yep, all of a sudden a new team. People forget a little bit about them and pushed PSG, City, Barcelona as favourites before the knock-outs, but they have to be right up there.

Bwuk

I fancy them to win the Champions League actually.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
If your changing your mind about us now because you've seen a "5:0" result on your phone, let me tell you it wasn't anything special.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Can't wait for you to hit the form then...
Besiktas had a player sent off very early, and even then they had the best opportunity to score first. The high result is mostly from the last 20 minutes, before that it wasn't that much of a performance from us.

Bwuk

Nope. United vs Bayern final, United win.

My prediction since 2017 :drool:
I've love to play Bayern actually. Whilst I think ultimately they'd beat us, it'd be a classic european game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Thank God Bayern wants financial fair play. The German league is becoming like the Scottish league.

Trizy

Thank God Bayern wants financial fair play. The German league is becoming like the Scottish league.
FFP won't help Bundesliga though. What they need is 2 sugar daddy clubs in that league to make it interesting. Imagine a PSG or City thrown into their league, the salty Bayern tears would be epic.

Surely it's time Saudi Arabia bought a European club. Dortmund or Schalke FC please.

Classical Mechanic

FFP won't help Bundesliga though. What they need is 2 sugar daddy clubs in that league to make it interesting. Imagine a PSG or City thrown into their league, the salty Bayern tears would be epic.

Surely it's time Saudi Arabia bought a European club. Dortmund or Schalke FC please.
You seriously want the House of Saud to get involved in European football?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I saw only the first half and Besiktas should've had a couple of goals from chances they created, Bayern looked pretty weak defensively. Though I think that was down to them playing high up the pitch, Heynkes will have the luxury of being adopt a more conservative strategy in the next round when the bigger teams come up and that should benefit Bayern (their best form in 2012-13 did come when they played deeper in the knock-out stages).

Still would be surprised if they win the UCL as their attack has aged and Robben/Ribery are on their last legs. A lot will depend on Coman (did well yesterday), Muller, James and Lewandowski.

Pagh Wraith

Don't fancy them at all for the CL. Lack of competitive games domestically makes it very tough for them once we get into the business end of the Champions League. Same with PSG. I'd have all five English teams ahead of them tbh.

Bwuk

Don't fancy them at all for the CL. Lack of competitive games domestically makes it very tough for them once we get into the business end of the Champions League. Same with PSG. I'd have all five English teams ahead of them tbh.
Actually think the opposite. The fact they've won the league and can rest key players is more important than having to play the likes of West Brom, Swansea, Huddersfield etc.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

that was tongue to cheek mate. Bayern complain about what they percieve as a threat to competition at a European level when they had been running the German league like some sort of fiefdom for the past half a decade.