Hodgson to leave Palace at the end of the season

ShinjiNinja26

It doesn't always happen like that though does it?

It's worked well for Brighton, Southampton, Leeds and Leicester.

I never understand why fans of the so called big clubs seem to have issue with the lesser clubs trying to better themselves. The faux outrage by big club fans when said lesser teams sack managers is bizzare.
I’m not saying it’s definitely going to happen hence why I said ‘potentially’ but It could especially after Hodgson’s been there a good while. I also never mentioned once that smaller clubs shouldn’t try something different and play better football but it’s a risk. There’s a reason those clubs play the football they do because if you match up style for style with the way the big clubs play your going to be beaten more often than not because they have better quality players and you’re trying to play the same way with lesser ones.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
A pioneer in many ways, moved with the times as well without ever really being the absolute best around but nonetheless a legend of the game IMO.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Roy’s had an interesting football career to say the least. Won titles in Sweden and Denmark, managed Inter Milan, where he famously sold Roberto Carlos, did well at international management with Finland.

His playing career is nothing to write home about apart from playing for a South African team in an whites only league

CM

He's done a good job of keeping them a stable Premier League club without really spending anything before Eze signed last summer.

It'll be interesting to see how Palace get on next season. It seems like they're looking for a bit of a change from the safer style and could be quite a lot of movement for them in the transfer window.

cj_sparky

Roy Hodgson has obviously done a fantastic job for his boyhood club. He has certainly stabilized them as a Premier League side, he did especially well following on from the 10 week appointment of Frank de Boer. Which could easily have gone the opposite way. I think due to the de Boer scenario Palace will do their proper due diligence, before appointing this time.

I think for the long term their club needs a change, obviously it has risks. Wan Bissaka's transfer, has aided them in the improvement of the training facilities and in gaining Cat 1 in terms of the academy. On that front they have had good season in the 23's, could be promoted after beating Wolves last night to make the Play-off final and their 18's finished 2nd ahead of Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham. South London is also a great catchment area for talent and with the new academy status it makes them less vulnerable to losing players easily.

I think the out of contract players does them a favour. Potentially gets £700-800k a week off the books and could be used far better. Also many making up the list play as regularly as Phil Jones.

Sean Dyche is a like for like replacement. Frank Lampard/ Simon Cooper who I've seen linked would be appointments, with a view of maybe utilizing the academy and signing younger players.

Exciting and nervous times for a Palace fan.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think we will probably sign 5 or 6 in total including a couple of loans. Of the players that are on the 'to go' list I'd imagine with the exception of Van Aanholt they've probably made about 20 appearances between them all season. Some of the replacements are already there too; Jack Butland will slot in to Hennessey's role, Mateta came in during the January window who will take Wickham's spot, Tyrick Mitchell has ousted Van Aanholt over the last few weeks. It's not going to be easy but it's really not as bad as the media make out.
Do you have a lot of money to spend right now? Where would Palace lie on the PL wealth scale these days? I don't think you've spend much over the last 5 years or so and the club has been in the top flight for quite awhile now. New manager to have a decent kitty to spend?

Acole9

Outstanding
This could be a case of be careful what you wish for unless of course they get the right person in.

GueRed

46 years or so in football.... What a ride.

Big up Roy. Comes across as a proper gent.

Hope he writes an autobiography one day, would definitely buy it..

Enjoy retirement old boy..

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I bet Palace fans are happy, Football under Hogdson hasn't been the greatest. I tend to feel with the players Palace have they should always doing a bit better than what they currently are. I think Palace should go for Sean Dyche.

Lay

I bet Palace fans are happy, Football under Hogdson hasn't been the greatest. I tend to feel with the players Palace have they should always doing a bit better than what they currently are. I think Palace should go for Sean Dyche.
Do you expect Dyche to play better football?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Frank seems to be a real target. I hope he has learned to coach struggling players instead of ignoring them. I dont know that another PL job so soon is good for him, unless he changes his approach. Those old legs at Palace are not going to be able to play his running style of play.

Lay

With better players at Palace i do, He deserves that chance no?.
He does but I don’t think he will play better football. Sometimes managers can’t escape what they’re used to. Even with better players. Though, I think the transition from Hodgson to Dyche is better than going for Howe or Lampard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe Simon Jordan will stop sucking Lampard off when he sees him take his old club down :smirk:

spe88

I always thought AVB would be an interesting appointment for Palace.

I expect them to play it fairly safe with someone like Howe or Lampard though.

OleGunnar20

Howe seems like a decent shout if they're looking to become a little more progressive ad a club, which their upgrading the academy suggests I suppose.

Higher risk than someone like Dyche mind who I think would do well. Would he move? Can't imagine him existing outside of Burnley at this point to be honest.

Huge job either way. Who knows what that squad looks like next year.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well as someone in their 70's, I say very well done Roy/Woy. You have had a terrific career spanning many decades managing at the very highest level with Liverpool and England.
Now time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Absolutely not, no. Allardyce kept us up and then "retired" from football...only to take the Everton job a few months later. We were only ever a stepping stone for him to rebuild his reputation after the England shambles before going for a bigger job again, he was never interested in being at Palace long term, we would have gladly kept him. The board effed up with De Boer, no doubt. I hope they've learnt from it.
Ah ok fair enough. Bet you gave a little smirk when Everton binned him off after 6 months because they were sick of his shit on a stick football.

Blood Mage

Looks like retirement then, hats off to him not a bad career at all. Managed Inter, Liverpool and England and even though those jobs didn't work out, he still carved out a reputation as a solid and reliable manager. Arguably the best mid-table manager in the league.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is crazy how many players have contracts that end this year.

Cahill
McArthur
McCarthy
Hennessey
Sakho
Benteke
van Aanholt
Henderson
Townsend
Dann
Kelly
Clyne
Ward
Wickham
Schlupp

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Just a correction on the list...as you can tell this topic is one I keep hearing about!

McArthur - not out of contract, signed new deal
Schlupp - not out of contract, signed new deal
Kelly - not out of contract, signed new deal

Of the out of contract players...

Benteke - 29 appearances - 30 years old - £120,000 per week
Sakho - 4 appearances - 31 years old - £100,000 per week
Cahill - 18 appearances - 35 years old - £75,000 per week
Dann - 15 appearances - 34 years old - £60,000 per week
Clyne - 13 appearances - 30 years old - £60,000 per week
Wickham - 0 appearances - 28 years old - £60,000 per week
van Aanholt - 21 appearances - 31 years old - £55,000 per week
Townsend - 32 appearances - 29 years old - £55,000 per week
McCarthy - 14 appearances - 30 years old - £50,000 per week
Hennessey - 0 appearances - 34 years old - £40,000 per week
Ward - 24 appearances - 31 years old - £35,000 per week
Henderson - 0 appearances - 33 years old - £11,500 per week

We also released Max Meyer in January who was on £80,000 per week and Batshuayi will also go back to Chelsea, he is on £90,000 a week and we are covering the majority of it.

The bolded ones I'd be renegotiating with on the right terms but as you can see our wage bill in comparison to actual contribution and player age is truly dire. 3 or 4 smart signings with a similar profile to Eze and some astute loans will more than fill the gap left by the vast majority of these non-contributing/high wage players. It really is an opportunity for us and not something to fear; if I was a Manager looking at the job in-depth I'd be quite excited by it, especially with the U18s and U23s doing so well and the new Cat 1 academy in place.

Last edited:

always_hoping

He's going to stop Liverpool getting into the Champions League (again) in his last ever game
Can't see it, his Palace side has rolled over against Klopps Liverpool. 8 defeats in a row and the last two matches was 4-0 and 7-0.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Whomever the new manager is, he will not be hampered by wages to get new players. It looks like a good time to step in and instantly have the players the new manager and club feel is best going forward.

I like Bats as a person, but it really would be great if you reconsider and decide to buy him :D

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Whomever the new manager is, he will not be hampered by wages to get new players. It looks like a good time to step in and instantly have the players the new manager and club feel is best going forward.

I like Bats as a person, but it really would be great if you reconsider and decide to buy him :D
Haha I rate Bats a lot, hasn’t been used anywhere near enough this season unfortunately. I’d still take him for the right price. Shame I’m not the DoF :D

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just a correction on the list...as you can tell this topic is one I keep hearing about!

McArthur - not out of contract, signed new deal
Schlupp - not out of contract, signed new deal
Kelly - not out of contract, signed new deal

Of the out of contract players...

Benteke - 29 appearances - 30 years old - £120,000 per week
Sakho - 4 appearances - 31 years old - £100,000 per week
Cahill - 18 appearances - 35 years old - £75,000 per week
Dann - 15 appearances - 34 years old - £60,000 per week
Clyne - 13 appearances - 30 years old - £60,000 per week
Wickham - 0 appearances - 28 years old - £60,000 per week
van Aanholt - 21 appearances - 31 years old - £55,000 per week
Townsend - 32 appearances - 29 years old - £55,000 per week
McCarthy - 14 appearances - 30 years old - £50,000 per week
Hennessey - 0 appearances - 34 years old - £40,000 per week
Ward - 24 appearances - 31 years old - £35,000 per week
Henderson - 0 appearances - 33 years old - £11,500 per week

We also released Max Meyer in January who was on £80,000 per week and Batshuayi will also go back to Chelsea, he is on £90,000 a week and we are covering the majority of it.

The bolded ones I'd be renegotiating with on the right terms but as you can see our wage bill in comparison to actual contribution and player age is truly dire. 3 or 4 smart signings with a similar profile to Eze and some astute loans will more than fill the gap left by the vast majority of these non-contributing/high wage players. It really is an opportunity for us and not something to fear; if I was a Manager looking at the job in-depth I'd be quite excited by it, especially with the U18s and U23s doing so well and the new Cat 1 academy in place.
I would actually say that is a good thing, what a load of Donkeys on that list. I agree that Cahill, Ward and Clyne should be re-signed on the right terms, not sure about Benteke who looks like he is just playing for a contract and McCarthy who has dropped off in the past 18 months.

With the market as it is, Palace should be able to get a reasonable grade of player in.

Minkaro

I think we will probably sign 5 or 6 in total including a couple of loans. Of the players that are on the 'to go' list I'd imagine with the exception of Van Aanholt they've probably made about 20 appearances between them all season. Some of the replacements are already there too; Jack Butland will slot in to Hennessey's role, Mateta came in during the January window who will take Wickham's spot, Tyrick Mitchell has ousted Van Aanholt over the last few weeks. It's not going to be easy but it's really not as bad as the media make out.
I know he hasn’t played for you yet, but if you can somehow stop Nathan Ferguson from breaking himself, he looked superb for West Brom the season before he joined you.

DavidDeSchmikes

big summer for Crystal Palace, regarding transfer and managerial appointment

Hodgson has done well to establish Palace (considering they were a bit of a yo-yo club prior to 2014) as stable a Premier League side.