Television Hollywood Reporter's top 50 shows of the century

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Was published yesterday

I can't complain with #1, also my favourite show, I also like that Better Call Saul is ranked higher than Breaking Bad, and then there's some other weirder choices (as always with these lists). I like that Bojack gets some recognition too, such a fine show, as well as Friday Night Lights. Fleabag should be higher though. And The Leftovers too, of course.

I guess the West Wing doesn't make the cut because it began before the turn of the century, but it's a bit weird as its largest chunk was after that, and The Daily Show makes the cut despite starting in 1996.

EDIT: link added cos I'm an idiot

Last edited:

Tarrou

‘Beef’ is somehow 41 and band of brothers is only ‘38’

Do I dare scroll on?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
There's a lot to disagree with on that list.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Weird list. Bit all over the place, though I like the inclusion of Avatar, John Wilson and Review. But if they rated the latter two so highly I'm surprised at no Nathan For You.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it's baffling to me that Mr. Robot never gets included in these lists.

Anyway, pretty shite list but nice to see Review and Rectify in there, two great, underappreciated shows in their own way.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Terrible list.

They should've just named it "The favorite TV shows since 2000 among a clique of millennial HR staffers".

Yeah, that's a junk list. Any ranking that doesnt have either The Sopranos or The Wire at the top is quite simply wrong. And to put Succession ahead of The Wire :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They have Beef (the trendy hipster show of the moment) over the Crown, which whether or not one likes the subject matter, is one of the better written shows on the list.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Yeah, that's a junk list. Any ranking that doesnt have either The Sopranos or The Wire at the top is quite simply wrong. And to put Succession ahead of The Wire :lol:
Yeah there's issues with the list (as with all lists), and the inclusion of Succession so high screams recency bias. It's still a great show and deserves to be on these rankings, but likely not that high.
They have Beef (the trendy hipster show of the moment) over the Crown, which whether or not one likes the subject matter, is one of the better written shows on the list.
The Crown has become pure soap garbage, with a very weak recent season. The first couple of seasons were great, but it's been very hit and miss since then, and some of the writing is extremely weak. It's one of the shows that you could quite easily argue is at its correct spot on that list, if anything.
Better call Saul higher up than BB? :lol:
This is actually fine as Better call Saul is the better show.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Crown has become pure soap garbage, with a very weak recent season. The first couple of seasons were great, but it's been very hit and miss since then, and some of the writing is extremely weak. It's one of the shows that you could quite easily argue is at its correct spot on that list, if anything.
Not a fan of the last season (mainly because the late stage Charles/Diana thing is imo the least interesting bit about the royals), but the Crown overall, excels in the 7 key areas of film/tv making. Beef was disposably entertaining for about 4-5 episodes, after which the quality fell of a cliff (presumably because the writer ran out of ideas).

Revan

Assumptionman
Battlestar Galactica over Game of Thrones?

Better Call Saul above Breaking Bad?

Succession above The Wire?

feck this shit!

James_42

LOST not being on there when you see how influential it was, and see some of the other shite on there is laughable.

Seems like most of these lists are silly and pick certain things to be controversial and want attention.

Had to look again and saw no Six Feet Under, that alone proves this list is a joke, and then you have shows like Girls above Breaking Bad, how can anyone justify that?

Seems they've done their job since I've gone back to the list multiple times in disbelief at some of the choices.

Last edited:

sepulturite

The only thing I'm happy about on that list is Peep Show being included on there, apart from that it's all over the show.

I always think lists like these are better when it's the public giving their opinion, they are always alot more accurate.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Terrible list.

They should've just named it "The favorite TV shows since 2000 among a clique of millennial HR staffers".
I'm so glad I completely disagree with it. It's like asking Carra, Neville and Garth Crooks to name their best ever football players/teams. No thanks.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Not a fan of the last season (mainly because the late stage Charles/Diana thing is imo the least interesting bit about the royals), but the Crown overall, excels in the 7 key areas of film/tv making. Beef was disposably entertaining for about 4-5 episodes, after which the quality fell of a cliff (presumably because the writer ran out of ideas).
What does this mean?
Battlestar Galactica over Game of Thrones?

Better Call Saul above Breaking Bad?

Succession above The Wire?

feck this shit!
The first 2 are absolutely fine. Beyond the cultural "relevance" and the zeitgeist, GoT isn't all that. The Wire should be top 3 in any ranking though.

Revan

Assumptionman
The first 2 are absolutely fine. Beyond the cultural "relevance" and the zeitgeist, GoT isn't all that. The Wire should be top 3 in any ranking though.
They are not. I really loved Battlestar Galactica, but having just rewatched it, it is nowhere near the quality of GoT. It is full of cliches, bad acting, and nonsense. Much better than the shit that came before it such as Stargate, but objectively speaking, it is not a great show.

Each of the first 6 GoT seasons is better than anything in Battlestar Galactica. In fact, I would even say that seasons 7 and 8 of GoT are better than anything in BG.

BCS is nowhere as good as BB, but I have less issues there.

sepulturite

What does this mean?

I think BB is better than BcS but I completely understand why people put it the other way round, my biggest issue here on this list is why BB is only 16 and BcS is 7, both should be top 5 and imo BB should be top 3.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
If it weren't for The Wire and The Sopranos being in the top 5 then I would have guessed that this list is randomly generated. So many glaring omissions, odd picks and odd rankings.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
it's baffling to me that Mr. Robot never gets included in these lists.
There are two kinds of people in this world. People who think that Mr. Robot is one of the best series ever and people who haven't seen Mr. Robot beyond season 2.

cafecillos

They are not. I really loved Battlestar Galactica, but having just rewatched it, it is nowhere near the quality of GoT. It is full of cliches, bad acting, and nonsense. Much better than the shit that came before it such as Stargate, but objectively speaking, it is not a great show.

Each of the first 6 GoT seasons is better than anything in Battlestar Galactica. In fact, I would even say that seasons 7 and 8 of GoT are better than anything in BG.

BCS is nowhere as good as BB, but I have less issues there.
And you would be wrong, because regardless of how much I may like or dislike BSG, seasons 7 and 8 of GoT are not better than anything.

Jev

Watchmen is always shamelessly overlooked in these kinds of conversations. That show was borderline perfect.

Haven't seen it but does anyone else really rate Reservation Dogs that highly?

HookedOnAPhelan

True Detective isn't on there either. I know season 3 and especially season 2 weren't great, but given it's an anthology series season 1 should easily be included.

The list is shit, and that's a facht.