Honestly, we are not that far away...

tomaldinho1

Who's going overboard?

Maguire is our captain and probably/maybe/I dont know somewhere top 4-5 in his position in the league.
Bruno has how many MOTM on here so far?
James is doing quite well for a young player at a big club. Doubt anyone expected him to play this much.
AWB is great in defense and by the looks of it improving when attacking.

Anyone saying much more then this about our new players? They've all imrpoved us. You said as much yourself..
I think he means in that we have a tendency to overrate and overstate how good players are. Maguire is a world record CB but no one would argue he is the best CB in the league, Bruno looks really promising but he's literally played like 3 games, James might be good in the future but it's too early for him, AWB I really like but again was a £50m transfer. None of these are bad signings, they've been refreshingly decent for the most part, but I don't think any have been a revelation - hopefully Bruno changes this - and when we're breaking records for players and bringing in more and more expensive transfers it's expected in a way.

I'm all for being positive and I like all the signings we have made but we are currently 5th, having a really poor season and it's kind of being ignored because there's a huge PR offensive from the club at the moment - loads of MUTV content and players being extra active on social media (again all great and no complaints) but it's all designed to distract from what really matters which is where we are in the league and if we can win any cups. I really like how quite a few of our players are playing ie Fred, McT, Matic has stepped up since being in his favoured role, Maguire has sorted out his form, Martial scoring even when not playing great, AWB getting assists, Bailly looking promising, Shaw has come alive again and Bruno looking the real deal but then I wonder how we've not been able to close the gap on Chelsea, whose form has been bang average? There's this weird catch 22 situation at the moment where people seem almost happy with how we're doing and really keen to get behind Ole but also aware we're having our worst season for a while and also aware he's probably not the best option for us long term.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think he means in that we have a tendency to overrate and overstate how good players are. Maguire is a world record CB but no one would argue he is the best CB in the league, Bruno looks really promising but he's literally played like 3 games, James might be good in the future but it's too early for him, AWB I really like but again was a £50m transfer. None of these are bad signings, they've been refreshingly decent for the most part, but I don't think any have been a revelation - hopefully Bruno changes this - and when we're breaking records for players and bringing in more and more expensive transfers it's expected in a way.

I'm all for being positive and I like all the signings we have made but we are currently 5th, having a really poor season and it's kind of being ignored because there's a huge PR offensive from the club at the moment - loads of MUTV content and players being extra active on social media (again all great and no complaints) but it's all designed to distract from what really matters which is where we are in the league and if we can win any cups. I really like how quite a few of our players are playing ie Fred, McT, Matic has stepped up since being in his favoured role, Maguire has sorted out his form, Martial scoring even when not playing great, AWB getting assists, Bailly looking promising, Shaw has come alive again and Bruno looking the real deal but then I wonder how we've not been able to close the gap on Chelsea, whose form has been bang average? There's this weird catch 22 situation at the moment where people seem almost happy with how we're doing and really keen to get behind Ole but also aware we're having our worst season for a while and also aware he's probably not the best option for us long term.
Actually I think we tend to under-rate our own players, as do most fans of other clubs wit their own players, because we watch every minute that they play and are intimately aware of their flaws. In contrast we see the odd game and some highlights of others and form an incomplete opinion. It was interesting reading recently how much stick Leicester fans give Chilwell for example, when he'd be at or near the top of any best LB poll we'd do on here.

People seem happy because it feels like the club are going in the right direction and have learnt from recent mistakes.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too

World record fee dosen't mean best player in the world. Neymar, Coutinho, Pogba.. No one would deny their talent, as with Maguire. And he's been good. I haven't seen many, if any, saying much more then the signings we've made have been good, and improved us. I don't get the argument against this. Only argument against, would be that they're not the right match for us, but haven't seen that, since they say we don't have any tactics, or they haven't been good, but that would be..straws.

I don't have MUTV, the clubs PR TV channel, not on social media much, don't follow any footballer on twitter. As you say, lots of positives. Don't see anyone saying Ole's a great manager. He might be. We don't know yet. Signs are good.

tomaldinho1

Actually I think we tend to under-rate our own players, as do most fans of other clubs wit their own players, because we watch every minute that they play and are intimately aware of their flaws. In contrast we see the odd game and some highlights of others and form an incomplete opinion. It was interesting reading recently how much stick Leicester fans give Chilwell for example, when he'd be at or near the top of any best LB poll we'd do on here.

People seem happy because it feels like the club are going in the right direction and have learnt from recent mistakes.
Yh this is true, we're one of the worst for overrating youth but I guess we've probably seen some of the highest turnover of players in the last 5 years or so which no doubt influences so many opinions. Also because we have so many fans, there are just so so many voices out there and obviously some are a bit extreme. Personally I like a lot of our players at the moment, it is confusing how we're not higher in the table though when I look at the individuals we have.

World record fee dosen't mean best player in the world. Neymar, Coutinho, Pogba.. No one would deny their talent, as with Maguire. And he's been good. I haven't seen many, if any, saying much more then the signings we've made have been good, and improved us. I don't get the argument against this. Only argument against, would be that they're not the right match for us, but haven't seen that, since they say we don't have any tactics, or they haven't been good, but that would be..straws.

I don't have MUTV, the clubs PR TV channel, not on social media much, don't follow any footballer on twitter. As you say, lots of positives. Don't see anyone saying Ole's a great manager. He might be. We don't know yet. Signs are good.
Me neither, that's why I know there's been a big push because I'm seeing lots more of it despite not having Twitter, Insta, MUTV etc. It's great because we should celebrate any positivity after Mou's time here but I just hope we don't forget we're in a results business.

That last part is the bit I struggle with - I just don't see much to suggest Ole is any different to most other managers in world football i.e. he's an ex pro, can set a team up but tactically what is so different? He's got a v good squad, we're in a weak league and yet we're struggling to find any kind of consistency. I feel like the EL results keep giving people this weird false sense of hope because against any top level opposition we've been poor unless they have attacked us - I don't think that's what United should be about, we're like a rope-a-dope team made up of Galacticos.

ReddBalls

Yh this is true, we're one of the worst for overrating youth but I guess we've probably seen some of the highest turnover of players in the last 5 years or so which no doubt influences so many opinions. Also because we have so many fans, there are just so so many voices out there and obviously some are a bit extreme. Personally I like a lot of our players at the moment, it is confusing how we're not higher in the table though when I look at the individuals we have.

Me neither, that's why I know there's been a big push because I'm seeing lots more of it despite not having Twitter, Insta, MUTV etc. It's great because we should celebrate any positivity after Mou's time here but I just hope we don't forget we're in a results business.

That last part is the bit I struggle with - I just don't see much to suggest Ole is any different to most other managers in world football i.e. he's an ex pro, can set a team up but tactically what is so different? He's got a v good squad, we're in a weak league and yet we're struggling to find any kind of consistency. I feel like the EL results keep giving people this weird false sense of hope because against any top level opposition we've been poor unless they have attacked us - I don't think that's what United should be about, we're like a rope-a-dope team made up of Galacticos.
The consistency part is really not that weird. The squad has a lot of young players and have been plagued with injuries on key players.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too

Haven't we done quite well against good opposition?
We starting to see a decent squad. Players improving, promoted and signed. Under Ole's management. Lets hope we see a few more coming and goings this summer.
First 10-ish games he averaged about a point a game. Since then I think he's close to 2 points a game. Still not good enough, should be closer to 2.5 if we want to challenge for the title. This was always going to take time. No one promised otherwise.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We're 5th in the table due to neglecting the midfield. Pogba has also been injured which compounded matters further. The attack and defence are fine for now, but improving the midfield with vastly superior players will be a huge step which some aren't considering when pointing to our current league standing. Also factor in the vast improvement someone like Sancho would make on the right and context will be staring right back at you.

DeeDee7

Because he isn't a good manager, never has been and never will be. His entire career so far reflects this. Just because he bought a few players that have turned out to be decent so far doesn't mean that's exclusive to Solskjaer, better managers can do that too.
Why can I already see you proclaiming one day that "Just because he won the prem title doesn't mean Ole is good, better managers can do that too".

lex talionis

When it comes to the question of "how far away?" we have to ask...close to what?

Are we close to being a CL winning contender? Not really. Are we close to being a PL winning contender? Pretty close, but it may take more than 2 players to get us close enough. We're actually pretty thin on depth as well excellence in the first XI.

Keeper. Despite his wobbles, I still like De Gea and like our depth at keeper, the Henderson situation adding to options that most clubs don't have.

Fullbacks. I like our depth here too, although I'd really like to see AWB improve going forward and Shaw attain better fitness.

Central Defenders. Adding a top CB would do wonders for us as I'm concerned we rely too much on Maguire. Lindelof is a solid squad CB. Bailly has a massive ceiling but I'm not convinced he's purged bonehead mistakes out his locker just yet. Tuanzebe has great potential. I still like TFM's potential but I could be very wrong about him. Sell Jones. I assume we're going to let Smalling go. So for me a bit of strengthening at CB is in order.

Midfielders. I won't go through all the names but we are all aware of the weak links in Lingard and Pereira and we are all aware that Pogba is a flight risk, but that we really have no idea what lies ahead for the mercurial French international. Bruno was a massive acquisition. I like what McTominay brings to the club. I'm pleasantly surprised by Matic's renaissance but in the end we probably should let him walk unless he's perfectly comfortable being a squad man. Fred, solid stuff. As for our midfield, I'm still all over the idea of bringing in Partey. Keep Pogba, bring in Partey and let Pereira and Lingard go, and bring up one of our young midfielders and we're in pretty decent shape there.

Forwards. Despite his recent good form, I'm still not sold on Martial. But let's ride him out for another season and see if he reach that next level. If he's not up to putting in maximum effort we have a future superstar in Greenwood who's ceiling IMHO is higher than Martial's. Do Sancho and we're sorted on the front 3 in the starting XI.

Dreaming, but that's what we do best here (besides whinging), let's do the following:

Koulibaly
Partey
Sancho

I could be talked into Grealish or Maddison but now that we have Bruno, and assuming we keep Pogba I don't know where we'd put Jack or James. And we're already at Michael Bloomberg levels of new spending anyway. Instead, I'd swipe Cantwell from Norwich, whom I'm sure will be gettable for 30-35m.

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Koulibaly Shaw
Partey
Bruno Pogba
Sancho Martial Rashford

...is a pretty decent XI that can compete with Liverpool in a one-off match, but we all know we depth in addition to XI excellence. Whether can build enough depth remains to be seen. We may need to add a few bodies, like Cantwell, to ensure there's no massive drop off in quality up front as well as in midfield (harsh on McTominay who deserves to be a regular starter but he's not in Partey's class) and on the back line (props to Lindelof and Bailly, but neither are in Koulibaly's class) and we might be able to have a conversation about "close" we really are.

L1nk

Why can I already see you proclaiming one day that "Just because he won the prem title doesn't mean Ole is good, better managers can do that too".
You won't see that, because he won't win the prem title.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The spectacle of players looking like they are running in treacle is lifting.

It's amazing that just the addition of a decent central player has been the catalyst.
Except it's not amazing. It's very basic stuff.

More players like him and more exits by the lingards and Pererieas please.
Were getting there.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I really do hope that Ole can win the League, but given that we are so far behind the likes of LFC and are closer to the likes of Sheffield Utd, tells me that under Ole we won't be winning the title, anytime soon.
Put it this way, if we hired Klopp tomorrow, while Woodward is in charge, I don't think we'd win the League.
With Ole in charge, we are looking to compete for the 4th place trophy every year and should we achieve 4th place, many fans will rejoice, like we've just won the League and Champions League double.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At present a good bet for worst manager would be Mourinho.
Possibly. But then if you asked the fans of every EPL team, if they would swap their manager for Jose, some of them will say yes.
If you ask the same question with Ole (instead of Jose), not a single club would want to swap.
Put simply Ole does not have the ability to take a team forward.
He did not take Cardiff forward.
And his only other EPL managerial role is with MUFC - and we have regressed (lowest EPL points total ever).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What's with sancho everyone is using him on the lineup?

Any new news?
Duncan Castles, David Ornstein, John Cross, The Telegraph etc have all reported recently that we're either leading the chase or the player prefers moving to Man Utd. Jan Fjortoft who is a regular at Dortmund games also tweeted he spoke to a very prominent journo in Germany who informed him that people within the club feel he's gonna join Man Utd.

AshRK

Possibly. But then if you asked the fans of every EPL team, if they would swap their manager for Jose, some of them will say yes.
If you ask the same question with Ole (instead of Jose), not a single club would want to swap.
And his only other EPL managerial role is with MUFC - and we have regressed (lowest EPL points total ever).
That's a dumb logic. How can anyone come to a conclusion whether Ole is the worst manager or not. Yes he is not the most popular manager here but that doesn't make him the worst. In fact I would say he has done a Ok to decent job here so far. Using your logic, I doubt any team would want to have Moyes or Arteta or Lampard or Potter or Farke or even Eddie Howe as their manager right now. I am not sure if Ole is the man to take us forward but apart from Klopp and Pep I would not have any other manager managing in PL right now to manage at the moment.

Just because we don't rate Ole as the manager doesn't make him the worst.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Ole is doing a fine job considering the mess he inherited and I'd have no problem allowing him the time he needs to complete his project, the process is slow but there are definitely signs of improvement and with the addition of another few quality players to add competition within the squad I think we could be in a position to challenge for the league next season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Derby away is the kind of game where we’d have gotten a laboured draw in seasons gone by. We are putting teams under the cosh more often. It bodes well. We are still miles behind Liverpool and I don’t see that changing next season either. What I do like is by the time rash martial etc are in their prime the spine of the team will be well settled. It’s smarter management.

::sonny::

Without Lingard, Jones, Pereira and Lindelof which are the biggest weak points, this team can say something

But with them in the team, even as turnover players, you won't go too much far

They are really a disgrace

lysglimt

Scout
Without Lingard, Jones, Pereira and Lindelof which are the biggest weak points, this team can say something

But with them in the team, even as turnover players, you won't go too much far

They are really a disgrace
You can't seriously compare Lindelof to Jones and Lingard ?

alexthelion

Derby away is the kind of game where we’d have gotten a laboured draw in seasons gone by. We are putting teams under the cosh more often. It bodes well. We are still miles behind Liverpool and I don’t see that changing next season either. What I do like is by the time rash martial etc are in their prime the spine of the team will be well settled. It’s smarter management.
Wish I could like this post.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When it comes to the question of "how far away?" we have to ask...close to what?

Are we close to being a CL winning contender? Not really. Are we close to being a PL winning contender? Pretty close, but it may take more than 2 players to get us close enough. We're actually pretty thin on depth as well excellence in the first XI.

Keeper. Despite his wobbles, I still like De Gea and like our depth at keeper, the Henderson situation adding to options that most clubs don't have.

Fullbacks. I like our depth here too, although I'd really like to see AWB improve going forward and Shaw attain better fitness.

Central Defenders. Adding a top CB would do wonders for us as I'm concerned we rely too much on Maguire. Lindelof is a solid squad CB. Bailly has a massive ceiling but I'm not convinced he's purged bonehead mistakes out his locker just yet. Tuanzebe has great potential. I still like TFM's potential but I could be very wrong about him. Sell Jones. I assume we're going to let Smalling go. So for me a bit of strengthening at CB is in order.

Midfielders. I won't go through all the names but we are all aware of the weak links in Lingard and Pereira and we are all aware that Pogba is a flight risk, but that we really have no idea what lies ahead for the mercurial French international. Bruno was a massive acquisition. I like what McTominay brings to the club. I'm pleasantly surprised by Matic's renaissance but in the end we probably should let him walk unless he's perfectly comfortable being a squad man. Fred, solid stuff. As for our midfield, I'm still all over the idea of bringing in Partey. Keep Pogba, bring in Partey and let Pereira and Lingard go, and bring up one of our young midfielders and we're in pretty decent shape there.

Forwards. Despite his recent good form, I'm still not sold on Martial. But let's ride him out for another season and see if he reach that next level. If he's not up to putting in maximum effort we have a future superstar in Greenwood who's ceiling IMHO is higher than Martial's. Do Sancho and we're sorted on the front 3 in the starting XI.

Dreaming, but that's what we do best here (besides whinging), let's do the following:

Koulibaly
Partey
Sancho

I could be talked into Grealish or Maddison but now that we have Bruno, and assuming we keep Pogba I don't know where we'd put Jack or James. And we're already at Michael Bloomberg levels of new spending anyway. Instead, I'd swipe Cantwell from Norwich, whom I'm sure will be gettable for 30-35m.

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Koulibaly Shaw
Partey
Bruno Pogba
Sancho Martial Rashford

...is a pretty decent XI that can compete with Liverpool in a one-off match, but we all know we depth in addition to XI excellence. Whether can build enough depth remains to be seen. We may need to add a few bodies, like Cantwell, to ensure there's no massive drop off in quality up front as well as in midfield (harsh on McTominay who deserves to be a regular starter but he's not in Partey's class) and on the back line (props to Lindelof and Bailly, but neither are in Koulibaly's class) and we might be able to have a conversation about "close" we really are.
Good nuanced post.

MuranoLover

For consistency, we are really behind, but that will cope when teams again start to take us seriously and we add 2-3 players.

For two leg cases, we need to cope when going away, be more on the ball.

If there is a one leg case, at a neutral stadium, I think we are not that far behind and there are not many teams right now who can have the speed and intensity we can if all our players are back in the first team - from PL, this is City and Liverpool, from Spain - Barca and Real are as "bad" as us right now, from Germany - Bayern and Dortmund, France - PSG. Juventus and Inter are absolutely beatable.

So, that said, we are in the top 7-8 of Europe. With the decline of the stars of Cristiano and Messi, there is no absolute European leader right now. Liverpool's energy will go away soon, they lack depth.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
For consistency, we are really behind, but that will cope when teams again start to take us seriously and we add 2-3 players.

For two leg cases, we need to cope when going away, be more on the ball.

If there is a one leg case, at a neutral stadium, I think we are not that far behind and there are not many teams right now who can have the speed and intensity we can if all our players are back in the first team - from PL, this is City and Liverpool, from Spain - Barca and Real are as "bad" as us right now, from Germany - Bayern and Dortmund, France - PSG. Juventus and Inter are absolutely beatable.

So, that said, we are in the top 7-8 of Europe. With the decline of the stars of Cristiano and Messi, there is no absolute European leader right now. Liverpool's energy will go away soon, they lack depth.
:lol:

Let's not go overboard shall we? We are a few years away from competing with European elites. Good progress under Ole though.

GailSpaceWynand

I disagree. More fans will pick Ole over Jose at the moment. It's not as simple as pick the one with the most titles. that's unfair to managers who are new to PL like Wilder.

Also that is a very subjective opinion. A lot of assumptions and inferences seems to have been made on this opinion. His past does not work for him but extending what he achieved with lowly Cardiff to predict what he'll do at United is wrong. We haven't regressed. To not consider the glaring positives while considering we were always going to be a rebuild job is also wrong.

I disagree. More fans will pick Ole over Jose at the moment.
Wow, this place has gone full delusion. It's probably worse than RAWK ever was.

I could do with an enforced break and come back in May when Ole's either proven he's genuinely on the right path (finger's crossed) or proven he's a bit rubbish.
2 league wins i the last 5 but a good February with 3 cup wins against shite and "we're in the top 7 in Europe", "we're not far away", "More neutral fans will pick Ole over Jose at the moment". etc

It's gone full bonkers on here.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We are a way off yet, this summer is huge in the context of our rebuild.

Get in 3 or 4 of the calibre of Maguire, AWB and Fernandes type signings and we are getting there.

I still think we are going to struggle for consistency, but we will be moving in the right direction.

Our latest run of form is enjoyable, and much needed, but it doesn't change the fact that we are a long way off the level of the top 2 just yet.

Keep recruiting right and bringing through some very talented youngsters...and continue the development of what we have? I think we can get there.

GailSpaceWynand

Wow, this place has gone full delusion. It's probably worse than RAWK ever was.

I could do with an enforced break and come back in May when Ole's either proven he's genuinely on the right path (finger's crossed) or proven he's a bit rubbish.
2 league wins i the last 5 but a good February with 3 cup wins against shite and "we're in the top 7 in Europe", "we're not far away", "More neutral fans will pick Ole over Jose at the moment". etc

It's gone full bonkers on here.
Yes full bonkers indeed with Ole out guys coming up with crap to explain why Ole should be axed.

7 clean sheets in 9. 2nd Best defensive record in Europe. Why would some not take Ole over Mou at the moment? Did you read? Never said Ole was a better manager but to not see tangible progress is idiotic. And yes that will not change with what happens in the next few games. Performances have gone up, results should follow even if they have not till now.

Also in fairness the guys saying we should compete with Europe's best are equally blinkered.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is absolutely clear that Ole is much better than Mourinho. That is obvious.
Ole has spent roughly net what Mourinho did in the year that he “wasn’t backed” and improved the team ten times over.

MuranoLover

:lol:

Let's not go overboard shall we? We are a few years away from competing with European elites. Good progress under Ole though.
Who do you consider as the European elites?
Lets get into details as I did and see if there are any elites at all right now.

Yes full bonkers indeed with Ole out guys coming up with crap to explain why Ole should be axed.
I'd prefer him to carry on this short spell, continue it into the league and prove between Feb 1st and the end of the season that we're going places. I'd much rather that than axe anyone.

I give zero shits about CL qualification, just some tangible proof we are going somewhere, something other than "7 clean sheets in 9" when 3 of those games were vs. Brugge, one was vs. Derby and another was Watford at home.

Ole has spent roughly net what Mourinho did in the year that he “wasn’t backed” and improved the team ten times over.
That's not true now is it Twig @Wumminator ? It that one of those Donald Trump "facts"? I mean, he's spent almost €100m NET more :lol:

Ole NET: €142.02m

Mourinho NET per season:
1. €137.75m
2. €152.9m
3. €52.15m

Hold off on "10 times over" comments until we actually have a PL win-rate over 40% mate. We look so much better since Bruno came in, but we need to see this into the league now. I hope by May we can actually start to make these comments without it being insanely optimistic at best or clearly delusional at worst.

Last edited: