g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Honestly, we are not that far away...

We get it, you don't rate Ole, so why use Mourinho's terrible spell here as any sort of benchmark.
I’m not am I @RUCK4444? wummy is, I’m simply correcting him with the facts.

I’ll happily rate Ole if this recent form continues into our league form, I’m desperate and hopeful that come May you’ll, Bilbo, Leftback & many others will be the smuggest posters ever seen on redcafe :)

These people seemingly don’t watch football. How anyone cannot see the difference in how we play now and how the players actually behave vs when Mourinho was in charge, is beyond me.
Who can’t see that? I can. The last few weeks of football has been superb and I’m mentioned several times today that I’m delighted with our squad rebuild so far.

So correcting a poster claiming Ole only spent as much as Mourinho in his last season (he’s spent 90m euros more actually) is now “someone who doesn’t watch football” @Zen86.... erm, ok.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Win tomorrow and get top 4 I will agree we are not far away. But we’ve fluffed it since SAF left 6-7 times to make that final leap which shows real progress. Ole needs to get top 4 for me. I hope he does. I see signs of a potential successful manager at times. But we can’t lower the bar for him just because he’s Ole. He’s had time, he’s had backing and getting 4th is a realistic target to set I think.
we have times and times again opportunity to get 4th, but whenever we're 1 win away from 4th we seems to lose.

TBF, RAB is a knowledgeable season ticket holder. Let’s not snipe at each other, just because he’s wrong about this, doesn’t mean he doesn’t watch us.
Wrong about Ole only spending as much as Mourinho’s last season?

How am I wrong? The facts are right there, Ole has spent 90m euros more man. Mentioning that fact to refute your claim appears to be the caf equivalent of drawing Mohammed though, seems to have really upset @RUCK4444 and @Zen86

What actual fact that I’ve posted this morning am I “wrong” about?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is where it takes an educated or unbiased fan to see the wood for the trees, as it were. Take a look at how we were 'performing' under Mourinho towards the end.

In fact, take a look at how we played under Mourinho for pretty much his entire time here. Feckin' woeful, look at Tottenham now and we were the same but worse.

We get it, you don't rate Ole, so why use Mourinho's terrible spell here as any sort of benchmark.

The difference is night and day, if your willing to let go of any agenda and actually look for the improvements in key areas of both the squad and the approach.

It's clear, especially in this recent run we are on, that multiple facets have improved, crisper passing, one/two touch, movement, defending (8 clean sheets now I think?), good amount of goals scored in that time also. That's before factoring in the younger more talented squad we are building under Ole rather than a rebuild consisting of old players and clutching at straws for short term success.

Ole's rebuild is the only time we've seen a clear approach and direction, something solid to build on.

The fact is we are a few more top quality players away from being a different prospect. Yes, I know we have said that before, but this time we have the right recruitment policy and the intent to play the right way.
Good post

Foxbatt

Under Jose towards the end we were horrible. But under Jose when he came here we were better than now. We won the EL and also a Cup. Next year he got us the 2nd and then it started to fall. Of course Ole is better at man management than Jose. He never seem to pick fights with the players unlike Jose and most of the people were right in wanting Jose gone. That doesn't mean the fact that Ole is a top class coach. This may be the issue at United that unlike SAF who had very good coaches under him none of them who followed him had good coaches under them. They all wanted to coach themselves and run other things themselves.

Zen86

Wrong about Ole only spending as much as Mourinho’s last season?

How am I wrong? The facts are right there, Ole has spent 90m euros more man. Mentioning that fact to refute your claim appears to be the caf equivalent of drawing Mohammed though, seems to have really upset @RUCK4444 and @Zen86

What actual fact that I’ve posted this morning am I “wrong” about?
Why would I be upset? We’re playing well, improving, building a squad full of players I actually like. I’m optimistic. You seem to continue doing what you usually do, whinge about stats and now, for some reason, spend.

Who cares?

Why would I be upset? We’re playing well, improving, building a squad full of players I actually like. I’m optimistic. You seem to continue doing what you usually do, whinge about stats and now, for some reason, spend.

Who cares?
Not me, I said that already in reply to Bilbo & agreed with him that how much is spent has no meaning whatsoever, it’s all about how it is spent. You’re getting confused here because Wummy is the one who cares about spend and started bringing it up and talking absolute bollocks and falsehoods. I’m not whingeing about anything I’m just stating when something is bullshit.

I’m also happy with these last five weeks or so and optimistic, I am the one after all who started the thread “now that’s what I call a January window”. I knew we made huge mistakes last summer and were very naïve but January made me so much happier and optimistic because we learned from those mistakes.

I’m hopeful we carry this form on, the only difference with me is that I think we should hold off giving too many plaudits to anyone until we see how the next couple of months pan out. We should’ve learned this lesson after December and then our horrific January and we should’ve certainly learned a lesson from this exact same position last season @Zen86

Posters can and do defend Ole without resorting to making up complete bullshit like he’s spent less than Mourinho in Mourinho’s last season or that he is doing better than Mourinho in the league both of which are just untrue. At this point!

The problem is Zen, too many of you see a post that calls out bullshit (when someone uses complete made up nonsense to defend Ole), and you see that as someone slagging off the manager. That’s not the case, in this instance for example I’m not slagging off Ole at all, I’m slagging off Twiggy for his made up bullshit, a guy I really like on this forum.

Right now I have no reason to slag off Ole, I’ve enjoyed the last five weeks or so and I was very optimistic after January that the management had learned from their mistakes in the summer, so I’m hopeful that everyone who has defended Ole to the hilt is a smug bastard in May.

Last edited:

Zen86

The problem is Zen, too many of you see a post that calls out bullshit (when someone uses complete made up nonsense to defend Ole), and you see that as someone slagging off the manager. That’s not the case, in this instance for example I’m not slagging off Ole at all, I’m slagging off Twiggy for his made up bullshit, a guy I really like on this forum .
That’s probably true :lol:

This place is very highly strung these days. Two opposing sides constantly going at it, with a handful of idiots and wums stirring the pot and aggravating things.

Foxbatt

We are back to 7th again. At this rate I really don't think we will make it to the CL.

lysglimt

Scout
Wow, this place has gone full delusion. It's probably worse than RAWK ever was.

I could do with an enforced break and come back in May when Ole's either proven he's genuinely on the right path (finger's crossed) or proven he's a bit rubbish.
2 league wins i the last 5 but a good February with 3 cup wins against shite and "we're in the top 7 in Europe", "we're not far away", "More neutral fans will pick Ole over Jose at the moment". etc

It's gone full bonkers on here.
Who in their right mind would want Jose as manager at this ?

He was horrible in his last period at Chelsea
He got off to a good start with us - Before going completely mental
And in fairness - his start at Spurs with a really good side, hasn't exactly been great.

So people can say what they want about Ole, but I doubt a lot of fans would want Jose at this Point in time

mu4c_20le

Right now I have no reason to slag off Ole, I’ve enjoyed the last five weeks or so and I was very optimistic after January that the management had learned from their mistakes in the summer, so I’m hopeful that everyone who has defended Ole to the hilt is a smug bastard in May.
Yeah, that's why you have twice as many posts in this thread as everyone else, right? Just a defender of truth.

lysglimt

Scout
We are back to 7th again. At this rate I really don't think we will make it to the CL.
It's the last 8 matches that can give us C.L - we all knew round 28-30 would be really tough for us - it's all about getting through those 3 matches without losing too much to Chelsea, Spurs and Wolves.

But Chelsea have a horrible fixture list after next weekend.
City at home, Liverpool away, Palace away, Sheffield U away, West Ham away and Wolves at home - its perfectly possible to catch 6 points on Chelsea after those games. So for us its all about getting at least 3 points from our next 2 games.

Foxbatt

It's the last 8 matches that can give us C.L - we all knew round 28-30 would be really tough for us - it's all about getting through those 3 matches without losing too much to Chelsea, Spurs and Wolves.

But Chelsea have a horrible fixture list after next weekend.
City at home, Liverpool away, Palace away, Sheffield U away, West Ham away and Wolves at home - its perfectly possible to catch 6 points on Chelsea after those games. So for us its all about getting at least 3 points from our next 2 games.
It's not only Chelsea we have to worry about. It's also Sheffield United, and Wolves who are above us and with a game in hand. Tomorrow is a match we have to win.

lysglimt

Scout
It's not only Chelsea we have to worry about. It's also Sheffield United, and Wolves who are above us and with a game in hand. Tomorrow is a match we have to win.
Of course its not a match we have to win - but it would be good if we won it. If we pick up 3 Points against Spurs and City 2, worst case scenario we will be 6 Points behind Chelsea. And we will be close to Wolves and Sheffield United.

We can absolutely catch 6 Points on Chelsea in our last 8 games.

That’s probably true :lol:

This place is very highly strung these days. Two opposing sides constantly going at it, with a handful of idiots and wums stirring the pot and aggravating things.
Absolutely. The real daft part is when for example @Wumminator makes up a clear lie and claims "Ole has taken us up the league, Mourinho took us down the league" yet, I said yesterday, a few hours later and Sheffield United have played their game in hand we're exactly where we were when Ole took over (theoretically 6th), lose today and we're 7th, so we could even be further down the league than when he took over. So why even bother to spout such bollocks to begin with?

I get that Twigs hated Mourinho with a passion and the opposite is true with Ole, but bullshit is still bullshit. It doesn't do the posters defending Ole to the hilt any favours when other posters come out with this type of garbage. I think the best "defence" of Ole is sticking to the facts and trusting the our improved form will continue for the remainder of the season.