Television House MD

Ady87

I thought I would bump this in the hope I can get just one person that's never seen House to give it a go.

All 8 Seasons are on Amazon Prime Video. I introduced my girlfriend to it and she is hooked. We are half way through Season 3 and enjoying every minute.

Give it a go. Don't read the last 3 pages of this thread, though.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I thought I would bump this in the hope I can get just one person that's never seen House to give it a go.

All 8 Seasons are on Amazon Prime Video. I introduced my girlfriend to it and she is hooked. We are half way through Season 3 and enjoying every minute.

I would if it were on Sky :(.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

In a way I wish I hadn't seen it. One of my all time favorite shows. Maybe I can watch it again once I lose my memory due to old age.

Wonder if there is ever a chance this might be revived by Netflix/Disney/Hulu/Amazon.

Ady87

I would if it were on Sky :(.
I actually don't know what I'm paying for Amazon Prime, I'm afraid to look, all I know is I get stuff quick and it's a nice break from Netflix!

In a way I wish I hadn't seen it. One of my all time favorite shows. Maybe I can watch it again once I lose my memory due to old age.

Wonder if there is ever a chance this might be revived by Netflix/Disney/Hulu/Amazon.
It took about 3/4 episodes before it all came flooding back. Some episodes I feel like I've never seen which is nice. Not been enthusiastic about TV stuff for ages so it's a nice revisit and it stands up to this day.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I actually don't know what I'm paying for Amazon Prime, I'm afraid to look, all I know is I get stuff quick and it's a nice break from Netflix!

It took about 3/4 episodes before it all came flooding back. Some episodes I feel like I've never seen which is nice. Not been enthusiastic about TV stuff for ages so it's a nice revisit and it stands up to this day.
I do have prime but no way to actually watch it on my tele, I could watch it on my iPad I guess but I do prefer the big screen rather than sitting for an hour on my iPad.

SirAF

Ageist
Great show, I really enjoyed it when I watched it a few years ago.

I do have prime but no way to actually watch it on my tele, I could watch it on my iPad I guess but I do prefer the big screen rather than sitting for an hour on my iPad.
Nah, you have to watch a quality tv show on the big screen! Apple TV? Chromecast? HDMI cabel from your iPad to the tv?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Great show, I really enjoyed it when I watched it a few years ago.

Nah, you have to watch a quality tv show on the big screen! Apple TV? Chromecast? HDMI cabel from your iPad to the tv?
I do have AppleTV but never use it, it is plugged in I will have a look thanks.

SirAF

Ageist
I do have AppleTV but never use it, it is plugged in I will have a look thanks.
Ah, that should solve it then. I only use my ATV for all things tv - even linear. My tv provider got an app where I just log in. It’s so much more smooth :drool:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Probably the most medically inaccurate show out of all med dramas but really fun to watch nevertheless.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Probably the most medically inaccurate show out of all med dramas but really fun to watch nevertheless.
It's actually the opposite. There is some doctor who reviewed every episode(back when I was rewatching it it was fun reading about every episode afterwards) and he said it's easily the best show when it comes to medicine ever made, even though, of course, had many flaws mostly for dramatic purpose.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
It's actually the opposite. There is some doctor who reviewed every episode(back when I was rewatching it it was fun reading about every episode afterwards) and he said it's easily the best show when it comes to medicine ever made, even though, of course, had many flaws mostly for dramatic purpose.
In terms of presenting the pathogenesis of the diseases, sure. In terms of House actually practising medicine, no.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
In terms of presenting the pathogenesis of the diseases, sure. In terms of House actually practising medicine, no.
Their diagnose is pretty good too, in his opinion. House practising medicine was always over the top of course, but would you watch the show if instead of House we had Wilson's character?

Brophs

The One and Only
House isn't written for doctors, in the same way Suits isn't written for lawyers and Mrs. Brown's Boys isn't written for sentient beings.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
What? He enters a surgery room not wearing sterilized equipments at one point! That's just insane.

I do love the show though but the realism is bad in it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I read some article stating that the medical theories behind the plot were very precise as well. As to House's behaviour and certain dramatic elements: that's kind of the point of the show isn't it? Him getting away with all kinds of stuff, because he's a genius and the ends justify the means. That's kind of the part where the show tells you from the get go that you have to suspend your disbelief there.

When you look at the show in hindsight basically every plot is: "oh no House really went too far this time!!" "oh look, he saved that guy! no one else could've done it, so let's give him just on more chance".

Last edited:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
What? He enters a surgery room not wearing sterilized equipments at one point! That's just insane.

I do love the show though but the realism is bad in it
I read some article stating that the medical theories behind the plot were very precise as well. As to House's behaviour and certain dramatic elements: that's kind of the point of the show isn't it? Him getting away with all kinds of stuff, because he's a genius and the ends justify the means. That's kind of the part where the show tells you from the get go that you have to suspend your disbelief there.

When you look at the show in hindsight basically every plot is: "oh no House really went too far this time!!" "oh look, he saved that guy! no one else could've done it, so let's give him just on more chance".

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
You can't save a guy if he is open on a surgery table and you enter unsterilized, this is basic medicine and doesn't fit the dramatic effect imo, it just can't make sense in my mind when I watch it, also using the defibrillator on a stopped heart in medical tv shows will always and forever bug me, and that happens on a constant basis almost every episode, so if the basics are incorrect = unrealistic.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
You can't save a guy if he is open on a surgery table and you enter unsterilized, this is basic medicine and doesn't fit the dramatic effect imo, it just can't make sense in my mind when I watch it, also using the defibrillator on a stopped heart in medical tv shows will always and forever bug me, and that happens on a constant basis almost every episode, so if the basics are incorrect = unrealistic.
OK, if you are bugged by Gregory House character and his behaviour then this TV show isn't probably made for you.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
OK, if you are bugged by Gregory House character and his behaviour then this TV show isn't probably made for you.
How am I bugged by his character and where did I say that? I love it, I love how honest and crazy he is and I love the show, I've watched it 3 times, I'm just saying it's unrealistic, a genius doctor that know all diseases wouldn't use a defibrillator on a stopped heart, that's the simplest example of constant unrealistic behavior in the show I can think of.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
a genius doctor that know all diseases wouldn't use a defibrillator on a stopped heart, that's the simplest example of constant unrealistic behavior in the show I can think of.
Those are things that everyone knows would never happen in any hospital, but are one of the reason people like this show. Simply because House is breaking all simple rules while doing brilliant work. They all serve drama and shouldn't be used against the show. Best medical part of the show happens in their office, not in a surgery room anyway.

It's like saying I like Sherlock but no way he can fall from a 5 storey building and survive by doing the last second trick before he is about to die. That's really the entire drama about the show, isn't it?

Do you think the show would be great if House solved the case while they were doing the wrong surgery, while he is begging someone to open the room while the patient is about to die, and yet he arrives late because he is stuck sterilizing his hands. That would be too boring and no one would watch it.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Those are things that everyone knows would never happen in any hospital, but are one of the reason people like this show. Simply because House is breaking all simple rules while doing brilliant work. They all serve drama and shouldn't be used against the show. Best medical part of the show happens in their office, not in a surgery room anyway.

It's like saying I like Sherlock but no way he can fall from a 5 storey building and survive by doing the last second trick before he is about to die. That's really the entire drama about the show, isn't it?

Do you think the show would be great if House solved the case while they were doing the wrong surgery, while he is begging someone to open the room while the patient is about to die, and yet he arrives late because he is stuck sterilizing his hands. That would be too boring and no one would watch it.
The show is very entertaining, I'm not arguing that, all I'm saying it's not as accurate as some articles are claiming it to be, is it the most accurate out of all hospital based tv shows? Probably.

Sylar

I enjoyed House.

but ill always remember Dr Cox (scrubs) rant about House :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The show is very entertaining, I'm not arguing that, all I'm saying it's not as accurate as some articles are claiming it to be, is it the most accurate out of all hospital based tv shows? Probably.[/QUOT
I think most of the praise of accuracy was about the diseases they picked and how accurately they described their symptoms, perhaps the treatments. The procedural part of the plot isn't even trying to be accurate, the entire point of the show is that it's not, because House is so special.

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Watched this during my second year of Med School - watched it in between revision, says a lot. Absolutely loved it.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
In all likelihood this has been posted at least once, but I'm way too lazy to check this 10 years old thread.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In all likelihood this has been posted at least once, but I'm way too lazy to check this 10 years old thread.
It says quit a bit about the quality of the dialogues that the show can have such formulaic/repetitive plot arcs, yet few people would call it boring or dumb - aside from the final season(s) perhaps.

lsd

The Oracle

Prime video is destroying Netflix for me the past few monthes with all my favourite shows turning up.

House , Wiseguy , Justified , Bobs Burgers , Community ,Parks and Recreation, Supernatural Futurama and more plus off course The Grand Tour

mav_9me

It's most definitely not for doctors. I couldn't watch one episode. There was one where he does a brain biopsy and then looks under microscope to come up with a diagnosis.

That's not drama. That's bullshit. So he is a neurosurgeon and a pathologist....:lol::lol::lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
It still feels a lot more medically accurate than stuff like Grey's Anatomy which is more drama than medicine.

Skills

Snitch
Prime video is destroying Netflix for me the past few monthes with all my favourite shows turning up.

House , Wiseguy , Justified , Bobs Burgers , Community ,Parks and Recreation, Supernatural Futurama and more plus off course The Grand Tour
I've cancelled Netflix, the price hikes and Amazon's offerings have made it redundant for me