Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

siw2007

That finale was amazing and the ending was class and horrifying at the same time, so annoyed we’ve got to wait another year for the next season. Really feels like they’ve brought GOT back to its best.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I might have interpreted it wrongly. But to me it always seemed like she was brainwashed by Otto into believing Rhaenyra would kill her children and he had to keep whispering in her ear over decades. That then made her judge certain things that Rhaenyra did with a negative bias that she wouldn’t have done if not for Otto’s whispering.

When Visery’s died I genuinely think the show wanted it to be a miscommunication that she genuinely believed and wanted to fulfil her husbands last wish.
Succession is brutal. People got killed for picking the wrong sides.

It's dog eat dog. Whisper or no whisper it's just to make the actor more sympathetic. Even if Alicent handed the crown in total obedience they'll get murdered one way or the other for being a threat to the crown and vice versa.

FriedClams

Bit underwhelming as a series finale to be honest.
we didn’t see the newly crowned king or his mum at any point in the episode, would have been good to get their thoughts in the aftermath of the episode 9 ending

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is there a list of dragons, size and who rides each one?
With reference to Solius' pic. I've removed a bunch of previous dragon riders because there's no point to put them. Bolded the ones which are in issue during the events of the show. Spoilered, but there's not really any spoilers here:
  • Balerion - OG Aegon the Conqueror, big ass daddy dragon that never stopped growing and died of old age. Viserys rode it once or twice when it was super old and that was the last dragon he rode.
  • Vhagar — initially Aegon’s sister wife, then went to Laena (Daemon’s second wife), now in the hands of Aemond.
  • Meraxes — Aegon’s other sister wife (this guy fecks). Died with her in battle way before the events of the show.
  • The Cannibal — untamed wild dragon that eats other dragons (and probably humans);
  • Vermithor — no rider at present. I believe he was the one Daemon was singing to;
  • Sheepstealer - another untamed dragon (that steals sheep);
  • Silverwing - no rider at present. Not sure if it's been mentioned in the show yet;
  • Dreamfyre - Helaena (current King Aegon's sister wife, daughter of Alicent/Viserys);
  • Caraxes - Daemon's long neck boy;
  • Meleys - Princess Rhaenys;
  • Syrax - Rhanerya
  • Quicksilver - died before the events of the show, iirc;
  • Grey Ghost - untamed wild dragon;
  • Sunfyre - current King Aegon's dragon. Said to be the prettiest dragon;
  • Seasmoke - Laenor Velaryon;
  • Vermax - Jaecerys (Rhanerya's oldest son)
  • Arrax - Lucereys (Rhanerya's second son)
  • Tyraxes - Joffrey (Rhanerya's youngest son with Laenor*);
  • Morning - Rhaena (daughter of Daemon);
  • Moondancer - Baela (other daughter of Daemon).
Lot of fecking dragons. Even I don't really remember.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Have to say, I really liked the drip on show from Luke and Jace in their black and red shirts in this episode. Swag on point.

TheGame

With reference to Solius' pic. I've removed a bunch of previous dragon riders because there's no point to put them. Bolded the ones which are in issue during the events of the show. Spoilered, but there's not really any spoilers here:
  • Balerion - OG Aegon the Conqueror, big ass daddy dragon that never stopped growing and died of old age. Viserys rode it once or twice when it was super old and that was the last dragon he rode.
  • Vhagar — initially Aegon’s sister wife, then went to Laena (Daemon’s second wife), now in the hands of Aemond.
  • Meraxes — Aegon’s other sister wife (this guy fecks). Died with her in battle way before the events of the show.
  • The Cannibal — untamed wild dragon that eats humans;
  • Vermithor — no rider at present. I believe he was the one Daemon was singing to;
  • Sheepstealer - another untamed dragon (that steals sheep);
  • Silverwing - no rider at present. Not sure if it's been mentioned in the show yet;
  • Dreamfyre - Helaena (current King Aegon's sister wife, daughter of Alicent/Viserys);
  • Caraxes - Daemon's long neck boy;
  • Meleys - Princess Rhaenys;
  • Syrax - Rhanerya
  • Quicksilver - died before the events of the show, iirc;
  • Grey Ghost - untamed wild dragon;
  • Sunfyre - current King Aegon's dragon. Said to be the prettiest dragon;
  • Seasmoke - Laenor Velaryon;
  • Vermax - Jaecerys (Rhanerya's oldest son)
  • Arrax - Lucereys (Rhanerya's second son)
  • Tyraxes - Joffrey (Rhanerya's youngest son with Laenor*);
  • Morning - Rhaena (daughter of Daemon);
  • Moondancer - Baela (other daughter of Daemon).
Lot of fecking dragons. Even I don't really remember.
Thank you, thats really helpful. It's hard to keep up to speed with the dragons as well as characters!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Still not really fully engaged with the story and characters but looking forward to season 2. Really sad ending to the final episode.

FriedClams

The female centric themes in this show I find rather depressing. Illegitimate children, children who are just evil/messed up, stillborn births.... The whole season was basically an argument against having children.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The female centric themes in this show I find rather depressing. Illegitimate children, children who are just evil/messed up, stillborn births.... The whole season was basically an argument against having children.
It was certainly notable that both the first and final episode featured fairly horrifying birth scenes. With the first having been intercut with the scenes of jousting and the second taking place while Daemon was planning war. Themes and shit.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Vhagar is like a bloody cheat code. She's monstrous. I think she's actually Godzilla, that's no dragon.
They've made an interesting point when they've discussed how they've designed him & shot the scenes — it's apparently approaching a size when it gets too big to be able to support its weight in the air. Theoretically you can probably already use it to your advantage but it obviously requires a much more skilled rider, not a teenage boy on a baby dragon.

Brutal ending. I liked the series overall — they've been some real challenges with the time jumps and they struggled with underdeveloped characters but it looked quite good in the end. As others have said, not the first seasons of GoT level but a very quality show nonetheless with some epic moments — and it really gets you excited about the upcoming season (a shame that we'll have to wait quite a long time).

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
They've made an interesting point when they've discussed how they've designed him & shot the scenes — it's apparently approaching a size when it gets too big to be able to support its weight in the air. Theoretically you can probably already use it to your advantage but it obviously requires a much more skilled rider, not a teenage boy on a baby dragon.

Brutal ending. I liked the series overall — they've been some real challenges with the time jumps and they struggled with underdeveloped characters but it looked quite good in the end. As others have said, not the first seasons of GoT level but a very quality show nonetheless with some epic moments — and it really gets you excited about the upcoming season (a shame that we'll have to wait quite a long time).
Look at the size of her jaws. She can eat ships whole with that. If you're in her path there's no surviving. Looks like Aemond wasn't in control and that's scary. Balerion was even bigger so I'm not sure how he stayed airborne.

They were both babies and even though I knew it was coming it's hits different when it's not just a names on paper. Lucerys barely had any dragon riding experience. We both know who has the most experience with dragons.

I felt for Rhaenyra. She lost two of her children in a matter of days. Hopefully they get what's coming to them. That look on her face at the end was a promise to The Greens.

It's a decent show and hopefully next season will be better. How long do we have to wait till 2024?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not the riders but here is a size comparison.

We'll need National Geographic UK series narrated by Sir David Attenborough on the whole species.

Looking forward to episode about The Cannibal and Vermithor which could be the best speed death metal band ever.

DWelbz19

Balerion was even bigger so I'm not sure how he stayed airborne.
If I recall correctly, there's a very small point in the book where Viserys rides Balerion in his younger days; intending to go from Kings Landing to Dragonstone. But because the dragon was so big [and old] he wasn't sure it would go that whole way and actually ended up just going on a very small ride and putting Balerion back down again.

Aemond seems talented for his age, but there's no way he can properly control Vhagar. It's like a child with an gatling gun.
It's a decent show and hopefully next season will be better. How long do we have to wait till 2024?
I think it'll probably be late summer 2024, which isn't that bad when you think about it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Look at the size of her jaws. She can eat ships whole with that. If you're in her path there's no surviving. Looks like Aemond wasn't in control and that's scary. Balerion was even bigger so I'm not sure how he stayed airborne.

They were both babies and even though I knew it was coming it's hits different when it's not just a names on paper. Lucerys barely had any dragon riding experience. We both know who has the most experience with dragons.

I felt for Rhaenyra. She lost two of her children in a matter of days. Hopefully they get what's coming to them. That look on her face at the end was a promise to The Greens.

434 days?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I remember when they switched the actors mid season most didn't like it was the younger Rhaenyra was very good but that last ep was why they hired Emma D’arcy.
I've really enjoyed HOTD, but I worry that Emma D'arcy isn't charismatic enough, or a good enough actor, for the part.

Though, worth saying that I thought Emilia Clarke remained one of the best parts of GOT, so what the feck do I know.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've really enjoyed HOTD, but I worry that Emma D'arcy isn't charismatic enough, or a good enough actor, for the part.

Though, worth saying that I thought Emilia Clarke remained one of the best parts of GOT, so what the feck do I know.
Very little based on that.

FriedClams

Have to say, the scene where Luke was flying and you just seen the silhouette of vhagar above him was one of the better pieces of cinematography i've seen in a tv show. expertly shot.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
  • Pretty naive/stupid of Daemon putting his hands on the queen like that
  • Who was on the 3rd dragon when the two princes were flying out? Was that the Sea Snake's wife doing her patrol?
  • Who was the girl with Eyepatch at Baratheon's place?
  • Sorta lame that neither the prince nor Eyepatch can control their dragons towards the end there
  • If Eyepatch didn't want to kill the prince as that'd cause an all-out war, what was his goal? Just to scare him? What did he think carving out his eye as revenge would do?
  • Really hope there's no more childbirth/labor scenes next season. Enough already!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Cool with all points except Daemon is not stupid, he's more like psychopath with a plan to instill fear around that will allow Rhaenra to rule further with him being still in centre of all things.

A sadist indeed but ironically looking like one honest person in cesspool of vultures and backstabbers.

Damn, I like this character a lot. :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Not sure if it was just me but Daemon's voice seemed weird all episode. It was all high pitched and nasally.

FriedClams

• Who was on the 3rd dragon when the two princes were flying out? Was that the Sea Snake's wife doing her patrol?
  • Who was the girl with Eyepatch at Baratheon's place?
  • Sorta lame that neither the prince nor Eyepatch can control their dragons towards the end there
  • If Eyepatch didn't want to kill the prince as that'd cause an all-out war, what was his goal? Just to scare him? What did he think carving out his eye as revenge would do?
  • Really hope there's no more childbirth/labor scenes next season. Enough already!
I think they just run with the "an eye for an eye" reason that wouldn't necessarily cause all out war.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
If I recall correctly, there's a very small point in the book where Viserys rides Balerion in his younger days; intending to go from Kings Landing to Dragonstone. But because the dragon was so big [and old] he wasn't sure it would go that whole way and actually ended up just going on a very small ride and putting Balerion back down again.

Aemond seems talented for his age, but there's no way he can properly control Vhagar. It's like a child with an gatling gun.

I think it'll probably be late summer 2024, which isn't that bad when you think about it.
I can just imagine the havoc they'll cause. The time will fly by. We have WC to keep us occupied for a few months.

434 days?
433 if it leaks. :D

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I love the arrogance of the Baratheon king. He best be seriously hoping that eyepatch and his steed are sticking around. Forever.

Because his little trumped up move is most definitely getting him roasted.