Television House of the Dragon (GoT Prequel) - No book spoilers allowed

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I found that after the latest episode, that there isn't really anyone I'm backing here.

Young Rhaenyra definitely so, and for some odd reason Dhaemon, but they've seemed to cut the fight out of both and are shadows of themselves from the first 5 episodes.

Sylar

I found that after the latest episode, that there isn't really anyone I'm backing here.

Young Rhaenyra definitely so, and for some odd reason Dhaemon, but they've seemed to cut the fight out of both and are shadows of themselves from the first 5 episodes.
Think Daemon will change given what happened to his wife

And with Rhaneyra leaving in guessing we will see some fight now

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Think Daemon will change given what happened to his wife

And with Rhaneyra leaving in guessing we will see some fight now
First point I agree, perhaps a one episode hiatus from his previous warmongering.

Perhaps with Rhaenyra, learning that the father of her children dying can rattle her to the point of revenge. That would be good

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Maybe acid
:lol:
didnt the kids have a mark on their head that made it obvious they were Harwins kids? Thats why Queen Alicent checked

Yeah agreed with that. Unless I missed something from a previous episode that showed he was jealous of his brother and he made a comment that his dad hated him cos hes a cripple or similar.
Yeah I mean she was convincingly shocked when he confessed what he did, so you can’t even really assume that they had a very close trust type bond or relationship because he did something she didn’t even intend for him to do. So it was just a little too senseless without some deeper context.

Fully Fledged

Not sure if this has been litigated to death, but this is generally a very good YouTube channel and they summarise it very well, I think.
The problem is that you shouldn't need videos or massive discussions on forums so that book readers can explain major plot points to people who haven't read the books. If the show runners were competent this should all be explained in the show.

It's like, well hold on a minute he's getting sacked for punching the man who beat somebody to death last week? How's that right? Now people defending the show are going to come back, yes but this, that, or the other. If it's not shown in the show then that's poor writing.

Then there's the whole problem with the weirdo killing his entire family then confessing to the queen. That might get explained in the next episode but with how these episodes are being self contained and have massive time jumps between them I kind of doubt it.

The whole thing is a pretty mess.

cafecillos

The problem is that you shouldn't need videos or massive discussions on forums so that book readers can explain major plot points to people who haven't read the books. If the show runners were competent this should all be explained in the show.

It's like, well hold on a minute he's getting sacked for punching the man who beat somebody to death last week? How's that right? Now people defending the show are going to come back, yes but this, that, or the other. If it's not shown in the show then that's poor writing.
Exactly, some of those arguments might make sense (most are ridiculously flimsy though), but if that's the level of knowledge of the universe required to make the tiniest modicum of sense of a plot point, then it's obvious the writing is not good enough.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Then there's the whole problem with the weirdo killing his entire family then confessing to the queen. That might get explained in the next episode but with how these episodes are being self contained and have massive time jumps between them I kind of doubt it.

The whole thing is a pretty mess.
On this one I disagree, it was shown pretty explicitly. He got sacked because even the king is starting to hear rumours that he's the father of Rhaenyra's kids. That was all explained in the conversation between Harwin and his father.

b82REZ

Kings Guard punching/killing a randomer is not a punishable offence.

A City Guard punching a Kings Guard is a punishable offence. Paired with the murmurings of the affair it's pretty clear why he was banished from the capital.

It shouldn't surprise me on the Caf, but people really are moaning for the sake of it and nitpicking the most asinine points.

Is the show perfect, no; but it's far from bad and a cut above most fantasy inspired TV spin-offs.

Also the idea that the book readers are privy to some extra information is not true for HOTD. The whole period that has been adapted is covered in about 30 pages in a fake history book that is incredibly vague about events. While it helps to add some context a lot of events that have occurred have never been explicitly stated in the Fire and Blood book.

Fully Fledged

On this one I disagree, it was shown pretty explicitly. He got sacked because even the king is starting to hear rumours that he's the father of Rhaenyra's kids. That was all explained in the conversation between Harwin and his father.
No what we heard when the king talked to his hand was that he wasn't going to accept his resignation because it would look bad for the princess. He couldn't sack him for sleeping with his daughter for the same reason. It would look bad on the princess.
Rhaenyra left Kings Landing because for this exact reason his sacking caused rumours about her children's parenthood to increase. So if you are saying he was sacked for that then it was obviously a very bad idea.

Fully Fledged

A City Guard punching a Kings Guard is a punishable offence. Paired with the murmurings of the affair it's pretty clear why he was banished from the capital.

It shouldn't surprise me on the Caf, but people really are moaning for the sake of it and nitpicking the most asinine points.

Is the show perfect, no; but it's far from bad and a cut above most fantasy inspired TV spin-offs.

Also the idea that the book readers are privy to some extra information is not true for HOTD. The whole period that has been adapted is covered in about 30 pages in a fake history book that is incredibly vague about events. While it helps to add some context a lot of events that have occurred have never been explicitly stated in the Fire and Blood book.
So where is this shown in the show? We have been shown that Cole is a nobody but not that Joffery is.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
No what we heard when the king talked to his hand was that he wasn't going to accept his resignation because it would look bad for the princess. He couldn't sack him for sleeping with his daughter for the same reason. It would look bad on the princess.
Rhaenyra left Kings Landing because for this exact reason his sacking caused rumours about her children's parenthood to increase. So if you are saying he was sacked for that then it was obviously a very bad idea.
I'm talking about the conversation between Breakbones and his father, the hand of the king. Without Breakbones and with Leanor being generally uninterested, Rhaenyra goes to Dragonstone to be better protected. Symbolically as well it works because Dragonstone has typically been the seat of the Targaryen heir anyway.

Fully Fledged

I'm talking about the conversation between Breakbones and his father, the hand of the king. Without Breakbones and with Leanor being generally uninterested, Rhaenyra goes to Dragonstone to be better protected. Symbolically as well it works because Dragonstone has typically been the seat of the Targaryen heir anyway.
Yeah I know but when the Hand talks to the King, the King he tells him that he had sacked the Commander of The City Watch because he struck a King's Guard. He then will not take the Hand's resignation because he will hear no mention of his daughter's improprieties. Now he made his brother Commander of The City Watch so was that such a slight on his brother by making him less than any member of the King's Guard?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So did sir cristen walk so Jorah Morman could run? The OG sir Friendzone

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I know but when the Hand talks to the King, the King he tells him that he had sacked the Commander of The City Watch because he struck a King's Guard. He then will not take the Hand's resignation because he will hear no mention of his daughter's improprieties. Now he made his brother Commander of The City Watch so was that such a slight on his brother by making him less than any member of the King's Guard?
Lyonel Strong wants to take the opportunity to get Harwin away from Rhaenyra, because Breakbones is becoming far too loose with the secret of his children's parentage. That's the crux of the conversation between Lyonel and Harwin. Dismissing the commander of the City Watch for striking a Kingsguard is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The Hand of the King resigning over it, however, would very much not be a reasonable thing to do and would raise a great deal of attention and scrutiny.

Regarding Daemon's position, the king was never going to name Daemon to the Kingsguard because Daemon would never accept it anyway; zero percent chance that dude would be content with a life of celibacy and with being disinherited. He'd also be a really really shitty KG member anyhow. The KG are held in very high esteem in large part because of the sacrifices they make when accepting the position - it's not really a direct hierarchy wherein the City Watch reports to the KG or anything.

He mostly named Daemon CotCW because Daemon was wreaking havoc everywhere and needed something to do with his time. As the brother of the king he's afforded a higher station than any KG or City Watchman anyways.

Revan

Assumptionman

Agree with the post, though I think that Dance of Dragons is covered in roughly half of Fire and Blood (300 pages or so). Of course a lot of things there are only hinted, while in the show they are getting confirmed.

I think the show has been excellent so far, and I do not see how the timejumps would have been done differently.

Fully Fledged

Lyonel Strong wants to take the opportunity to get Harwin away from Rhaenyra, because Breakbones is becoming far too loose with the secret of his children's parentage. That's the crux of the conversation between Lyonel and Harwin. Dismissing the commander of the City Watch for striking a Kingsguard is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. The Hand of the King resigning over it, however, would very much not be a reasonable thing to do and would raise a great deal of attention and scrutiny.

Regarding Daemon's position, the king was never going to name Daemon to the Kingsguard because Daemon would never accept it anyway; zero percent chance that dude would be content with a life of celibacy and with being disinherited. He'd also be a really really shitty KG member anyhow. The KG are held in very high esteem in large part because of the sacrifices they make when accepting the position - it's not really a direct hierarchy wherein the City Watch reports to the KG or anything.

He mostly named Daemon CotCW because Daemon was wreaking havoc everywhere and needed something to do with his time. As the brother of the king he's afforded a higher station than any KG or City Watchman anyways.
Where do we hear this?

b82REZ

So where is this shown in the show? We have been shown that Cole is a nobody but not that Joffery is.
He is a complete nobody in the show. A KG is a very high position, regardless of his standing before he was knighted and took his KG vows.

We've been over this in the book thread. Joffrey was an unimportant person, who Corlys likely wanted dead due to the fact his son was in a secret, illegal affair with them.

Harwin attacking a KG is completely different. He is below him in all aspects. His punishment likely would have been worse had his father not been the Hand and taken the brunt of the punishment over his honour.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
HBO is going to milk this cash cow dry. Jon Snow sequel will carry the original show forward and then quite a few prequels scheduled.

the project would upend Thrones’ final season as the last word on the fates of the surviving characters in HBO’s most popular and Emmy-winning series of all time. In theory, the project could open the door for other surviving characters from the Thrones universe to reappear — such as Arya Stark (Maisie Williams), Sansa Stark (Sophie Turner) and Brienne of Tarth (Gwendoline Christie).
This development news means there are now seven Thrones projects in the works in addition to the upcoming House of the Dragon prequel series, which debuts Aug. 21. Dragon tells the story of a civil war within House Targaryen and is set about 200 years before the events in Thrones.

HBO’s other live-action prequels in various stages of development are 10,000 Ships (aka Nymeria) with showrunner Amanda Segel, 9 Voyages (aka The Sea Snake) with showrunner Bruno Heller, and Dunk and Egg with showrunner Steve Conrad.

There are also three animated prequel projects, first reported by THR, including The Golden Empire, which is set in the China-inspired land of Yi Ti.

In addition, there’s a GoT stage play in development that would revive iconic characters and explore the origins of Robert’s Rebellion, which THR first reported in March.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
HBO is going to milk this cash cow dry. Jon Snow sequel will carry the original show forward and then quite a few prequels scheduled.
That is all old news and they aren’t scheduled, just in the developmental stage (last I heard) which doesn’t guarantee they’ll go into preproduction much less be scheduled. :cool:

b82REZ

They've been pitched, I'd be surprised if even half of the suggested shows get made.

The online backlash to the Jon Snow spin-off will probably kill that before it even gets off the ground.

I imagine they will explore more prequels as there is quite an extensive history available for show runners to reference.

Fully Fledged

It's thoroughly documented in Game of Thrones - half of Tywin and Jaime's conversations are about it.

I see what you're saying vis a vis this show standing on its own but it's pretty clearly a spin-off. For me that changes the parameters a bit.
I can't remember anything in GoT that said King's Guards could kill a man with impunity. Let alone striking a member of House Valerian.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
They've been pitched, I'd be surprised if even half of the suggested shows get made.

The online backlash to the Jon Snow spin-off will probably kill that before it even gets off the ground.

I imagine they will explore more prequels as there is quite an extensive history available for show runners to reference.
The only one of those that should get made after HoD is Dunk & Egg (Snow is a horribly bad idea). It's by far the best option. It takes place pretty much exactly in between HoD and GoT so the landscape will be familiar but the characters different. It has some three excellent novellas already published with Martin at least having the outline for the 4th unpublished novella, the characters are iconic and really likable and/or fascinating and it gives a great opportunity to take us away from Kings Landing and into the trenches with hedge knights and common folk (in addition to some intrigue and politics). If each novella is a season I think it would be best at 6 or maybe 8 episodes (at a stretch) per season, definitely not 10. If they were smart, they would go with that because its a slam dunk!

Last edited:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids