How Brighton BEAT Football

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: The hype is getting ridiculous. Have they qualified for the CL once?

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
Haven't won a single trophy. Beat Football though.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
They couldn't BEAT West Ham a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously they're a million times better run than Chelsea but let's calm down a bit.
Sorry to disagree - no club’s time in the sun lasts forever. Having watched Brighton (often struggle) in every division I’m happy that the club is lauded from the roof tops.

I never thought I’d see us in the top flight in my life again, let alone trouncing United at OT and Chelsea at the Bridge. But suddenly we’re apparently up there with the best clubs in England.

I’m making the most of it, it’ll come crashing down at some point!

flappyjay

Leicester won a Pl title and an Fa cup in a decade. They beat football not Brighton.

Let's wait until they win something shall we?

Good club and doing things the right way but anybody would think they've just become the second team to win the treble.

Hammondo

Let's wait until they win something shall we?

Good club and doing things the right way but anybody would think they've just become the second team to win the treble.
I think they might be a start of a change in how clubs are run though, its hard to point at a better run club.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Will be funny when Brighton lose a few matches in a row and posters start claiming they knew they were always overrated and the media hyped them.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Haven't watched the video, but Brighton were very impressive last season. As were Brentford and Newcastle.

In their 1-1 draw against City, Brighton managed 20 shots on goal. That total was the third highest ever in a top flight league match against a team managed by Guardiola. Only Wolves (21 v Man City in December 2019) and Atletico Madrid (22 v Barcelona in March 2009) have managed more.

Arsenal were from my perspective, utterly brilliant last season. So you imagine my surprise in July when I read Brighton's XG last season was higher than Arsenal's. Then again, I suppose I get it given Jesus' injury as well as the fact Brighton had both the most shots and most shots on target of anyone in the Premier League in the 2022-23 season.

Last season, Brighton played the fewest long balls, with the next fewest being Arsenal and City.

Only City and Liverpool managed more 10+ Pass Sequences than Brighton last season.

Apparently last season, Brighton created the most chances from a high press and Man Utd were an impressive third for high turnover shots (Arsenal a very respectable 2nd).

Conversely, their weakness is supposedly defending counter attacks. Will be interesting to see which teams try to exploit this.
Brighton have a horrendous record with set pieces. Worst (last season) offensively and defensively in the league.

The quality of Brighton, Brentford, West Ham and perhaps even Aston Villa has the makings of an exciting Premier League campaign this season. Can see any of them giving tough games to the top six. Not to mention Newcastle being a Wild Card. Horrendous start, but given they've already played City, Brighton and Liverpool

West Ham frustrated Man City of all teams, being the first side to be leading them at half time, and can see them being difficult to beat for Liverpool and Arsenal. Brentford last season I believe were the only side to beat both Man Utd and Man City, and this season they've taken points from Ange's Spurs and are yet to play City Liverpool Chelsea Man Utd Arsenal. Although, I expect them to frustrate the rest of the top 6, even if they don't win like the case with City. A nightmare start for Aston Villa with them being dominated by Liverpool adds no credibility to my statement, but yet to play City Man Utd Arsenal Chelsea Spurs.

All in all, its refreshing to see Brighton get good coverage, and I hope to see media praise for West Ham, Aston Villa and Brentford soon.

I think they might be a start of a change in how clubs are run though, its hard to point at a better run club.
Wish I shared your optimism. With City, Newcastle and soon to be us the only way will be a few billion in offshore accounts. I don't see how Brighton and Brentford will keep it up for years on end as their players get picked off and replacements get more and more costly.

Josep Dowling

As with the likes of Stoke, Bolton, Charlton and Blackburn before they’re having a good run in the Premier League. They can’t continue selling their best players and replacing them with cheaper alternatives. The quality will eventually drop and it will happen to Brighton at some stage.

Revan

Assumptionman
Brighton aren’t going to achieve what Leicester did let alone keep it up
To be fair, they would need City and other big teams (Arsenal, Liverpool) to have an off season. Leicester were brilliant that season and won the title, but to a large degree because the other teams were shit. They got 81 points which is a very good amount of points, but usually does not put you near a title.

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brighton having a brilliant season where they reach 80 points and still finish 15+ points below City.

Hammondo

Wish I shared your optimism. With City, Newcastle and soon to be us the only way will be a few billion in offshore accounts. I don't see how Brighton and Brentford will keep it up for years on end as their players get picked off and replacements get more and more costly.
Well they are currently doing better than Chelsea and Newcastle, they are not falling behind, but pulling ahead. If a club like United did the same then we would be economically at the top.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Jesus christ, they only beat a shit man utd side, calm down. Come back to me when they beat a real time.

acnumber9

They’re going a long way toward going from an uplifting story of an underdog to acting like cocky twats. Though anybody paying attention would’ve noticed this with the way their manager acted a dick after they beat us last season.

ShinjiNinja26

They’re getting piped off from all angles and it’s turning them into smug cnuts. The sooner the follow up video ‘How Brighton FAILED at football’ comes along the better.

Last edited:

Hammondo

Sadly you don’t get any trophies for “keeping up the quality”
Well not if you are called Tottenham, but it has for us. Since SAF we have won trophies but made no real progression. Had some better seasons than others, some buys have worked out, and it's worked out.

If Brighton could do that then it's a massive success.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Will be funny when Brighton lose a few matches in a row and posters start claiming they knew they were always overrated and the media hyped them.
Go to the De Zerbi tread around the time they lost to West Ham :lol:

RuudTom83

Haven't they spent around €500 million as well?

The love in is going slightly over the top, but no harm done, I hope the fans get some good memories while it lasts.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think they're really good and will likely be in the top flight for years to come given their sustainable model, but a lot of this stuff will be pretty funny and will age badly if they end up relegated in, like, five or six years. They're bound to have a bad transfer window or two at some point and they're bound to end up with some dud in charge down the line, happens to pretty much everyone outside the top six. Long-term their approach will still be seen as a success if they even establish themselves as a club known for being in the top flight much more often than they're not, but would expect a bit of a comedown for them sometime this decade.

Elon's Musk

As long as they keep the Dan Ashworth blueprint, they will be fine. My team (WBA) had it once a upon a time but once he left for the FA/England, the structure he left was destroyed and set us back years to where we find ourselves now. England, Brighton and Newcastle are all reaping the rewards from his work over the last decade.

acnumber9

What did De Zerbi say to disrespect the club last season?
I only recall the over the top dressing room celebrations when they beat us and his crying after we beat them in the FA Cup to be fair. I just remember he came across badly.