How Brighton BEAT Football

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sorry to disagree - no club’s time in the sun lasts forever. Having watched Brighton (often struggle) in every division I’m happy that the club is lauded from the roof tops.

I never thought I’d see us in the top flight in my life again, let alone trouncing United at OT and Chelsea at the Bridge. But suddenly we’re apparently up there with the best clubs in England.

I’m making the most of it, it’ll come crashing down at some point!
Enjoy it, you've deserved this moment

manhood

For now, they're doing great things and bravo to them.

But we'll be all here when it goes tits up and we all know it will as you can't really sell and replace year in, year out and have it going brilliantly for you each time.

Marwood

It's probably a generational thing but their football bores me.

The 30 pass move for the second goal is lauded. But pass number 20 was still in their own half.

Watching a team pass the ball so much in their own half is just dull. It might be effective at draining the opposition but it's also bloody good at draining the spectacle.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
:lol: The hype is getting ridiculous. Have they qualified for the CL once?
Not yet. But clubs like Brighton, Brentford and Bournemouth are doing extremely well to just stay in the PL given their size and resources.

KeanoMagicHat

Brighton have some similarities to Leicester in that they’re playing in a certain way that can be beaten but the pride of top clubs can’t allow them to play that way. Hence why West Ham are the club that beat them and Everton thrashed them last year but they have such success against other teams.

De Zerbi has come up with one of the best systems ever tactically for beating an aggressive press. Teams that expect to be better than Brighton - like Newcastle and Man United in consecutive games - go for it and get picked off at will. Because they’re so good in build-up, the way to play them is actually not to press them high up at all, Moyes style. But because ‘it’s only Brighton’ teams won’t do that and they’re reaping the benefits.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He did naff all!
I don't know, trecking to Gillingham and back for 'home' games, watching the Goldstone being knocked down after it was stolen from the club and us so nearly knocked out of the professional leagues at the same time. Then standing in the rain and cold at possibly the worst ground in the country, The Withdean, because only one stand was covered (and that leaked), I feel like I've earnt this!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't know, trecking to Gillingham and back for 'home' games, watching the Goldstone being knocked down after it was stolen from the club and us so nearly knocked out of the professional leagues at the same time. Then standing in the rain and cold at possibly the worst ground in the country, The Withdean, because only one stand was covered (and that leaked), I feel like I've earnt this!
Why do I hear a sad violin?

Hammondo

Very true. We peaked but could not sustain.The toughest thing in my mind is to sustain!!
Exactly, and if Brighton manage it then a lot of clubs will be looking to copy imo. They are making a lot of money in the process.

SteveCoppellFan

How can anyone really have a pop at Brighton ?

Right now, they are superior to United in almost every way, despite the fact we have spent a fortune and they just continue to sell their good players for great money and their replacements just fit in to their system without any issues.

Its a tough pill to swallow for us United fans but it is what it is.

Bravo to them i say, I'm not sure what their true ceiling is, maybe a Champions League spot but they seem to be getting better and better.

What happens when a bigger club comes in for their manager, can they replace him with yet another manager who just excels at Brighton ?

Marwood

Brighton have some similarities to Leicester in that they’re playing in a certain way that can be beaten but the pride of top clubs can’t allow them to play that way. Hence why West Ham are the club that beat them and Everton thrashed them last year but they have such success against other teams.

De Zerbi has come up with one of the best systems ever tactically for beating an aggressive press. Teams that expect to be better than Brighton - like Newcastle and Man United in consecutive games - go for it and get picked off at will. Because they’re so good in build-up, the way to play them is actually not to press them high up at all, Moyes style. But because ‘it’s only Brighton’ teams won’t do that and they’re reaping the benefits.
Think that's a really good point.

SambaBoy

I understand everyone praising Brighton's recruitment because it has been exemplary for the majority but the whole replacing X with Y and not losing quality is always going to carry some risk.

They identified Jahanbansk and Locadia as high profile signings in terms of fee's paid at the time and they both were flops really. If they were to lose two key players next year and they are then replaced with 2 flops then suddenly they could be struggling. It's near impossible to get it right 100% of the time of course, or even 75% of the time.

We've seen it happen with quite a few clubs in the past although I'd have to say that Brighton are on a level above Southampton/Swansea. I think people expect their success to be linear but the first thing they have to do is establish themselves as a team that can handle the strain of 2 games a week which they haven't even started yet. Once they can do that for 2-3 seasons then they can look to kick on to the next step. IMO a decent cup run and a european spot (7-8th) would be a good season. I don't subscribe to the notion that they need to improve on last years league position for their season to be considered a success.

That's always the most difficult thing for these clubs outside of the top 6.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For now, they're doing great things and bravo to them.

But we'll be all here when it goes tits up and we all know it will as you can't really sell and replace year in, year out and have it going brilliantly for you each time.
Yeah go back a decade and Swansea were winning the league cup playing stylish football with Michu running riot. Southampton of course were probably most similar to Brighton are now, finding excellent players like Mane for low fees and playing fearless football under a highly rated young coach.

I think problem for those two clubs is they had takeovers and so change of direction meant endless errors with transfers and managerial appointments and then for mid tier clubs it dosen't take that many seasons to get relegated.

With the current structure Brighton are very well set though. Do wonder what Bloom would sell them for, pretty sure he's a lifelong fan so it would be a huge amount. Todd Boehly's probably had a crack already I'm sure. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How can anyone really have a pop at Brighton ?

Right now, they are superior to United in almost every way, despite the fact we have spent a fortune and they just continue to sell their good players for great money and their replacements just fit in to their system without any issues.

Its a tough pill to swallow for us United fans but it is what it is.

Bravo to them i say, I'm not sure what their true ceiling is, maybe a Champions League spot but they seem to be getting better and better.

What happens when a bigger club comes in for their manager, can they replace him with yet another manager who just excels at Brighton ?
De Zerbi has to be a target for one of the Milan clubs or Juventus you'd think sooner or later.

Brighton I'm sure will have already identified his replacement or at least have a 2-3 man shortlist so they will have a plan compared to so many clubs who don't and then make rash decisions and waste seasons.

justsomebloke

Relative to resources they are of course doing absurdly well. In that sense the hype is deserved. But they have not proven themselves yet as a top team in the PL (never mind top club), in their current incarnation. They finished 6th last season, after all. Like United in that awful 21/22 season. They're good enough to be a handful for anyone on a given day, but they do not so far have the consistency it takes to be a top 4 team. That requires long streaks of dropping few to no points, including on days you're not playing well, and for defeats to weaker teams to be something rare - for them it still happens rather more frequently than that, going back to last season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So many elitist posts in here, it’s quite funny tbh. Brighton should be a club the rest of the league look up to, it’s as simple as that. People talking about silverware and shot, I honestly wonder the thought process they have. We have 3 domestic competitions of course the wealthier clubs will win most of them. Brighton aren’t a wealthy or BIG club but they are competing, astonishing how well they have coped year after year. If you don’t get that your simply not a *football* fan, your just a *club fan* and yes there is a massive difference.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Yeah go back a decade and Swansea were winning the league cup playing stylish football with Michu running riot. Southampton of course were probably most similar to Brighton are now, finding excellent players like Mane for low fees and playing fearless football under a highly rated young coach.

I think problem for those two clubs is they had takeovers and so change of direction meant endless errors with transfers and managerial appointments and then for mid tier clubs it dosen't take that many seasons to get relegated.

With the current structure Brighton are very well set though. Do wonder what Bloom would sell them for, pretty sure he's a lifelong fan so it would be a huge amount. Todd Boehly's probably had a crack already I'm sure. :lol:
I think you hit the nail on the head here, changes in ownership can be really detrimental to clubs, luckily you're right in that Bloom is a lifelong fan, I would be very surprised if he ever sold up and if he did I would imagine he'll have a succession plan for himself as he does with every other aspect of the club.

We may not hit the heights of the Caicedo sale every time, but this growth does seem sustainable at the moment even with the misses, as others have mentioned, like Locadia, Andone, Jahanbakhsh, Suttner etc.

acnumber9

So many elitist posts in here, it’s quite funny tbh. Brighton should be a club the rest of the league look up to, it’s as simple as that. People talking about silverware and shot, I honestly wonder the thought process they have. We have 3 domestic competitions of course the wealthier clubs will win most of them. Brighton aren’t a wealthy or BIG club but they are competing, astonishing how well they have coped year after year. If you don’t get that your simply not a *football* fan, your just a *club fan* and yes there is a massive difference.
It’s got feck all to do with being elitist. People are reacting to the hyperbole of them ‘beating‘ football.

led_scholes

They have beaten football indeed: they somehow manage to score 2-3 goals with their first 3 shoots on target.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Play Man United off the park at Old Trafford one game, get done by the third best team in Greece featuring Everton legend Djibril Sidibe the next.

Football is just a pretty dumb sport and we should really stop talking about it. :(

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It’s got feck all to do with being elitist. People are reacting to the hyperbole of them ‘beating‘ football.
how have they beat foorball? They like us are just surviving and playing good football, they aren’t gonna win anything? I don’t think we will either, but if u mean not overspending, Tottoenham are the same, season after season for 2 decades we are pretty much net spend, Levy/ENIC don’t flood us with coin, never have abs never will. They litterally bout us for I think £20m invested I think £50m over 20 years.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Play Man United off the park at Old Trafford one game, get done by the third best team in Greece featuring Everton legend Djibril Sidibe the next.

Football is just a pretty dumb sport and we should really stop talking about it. :(
Tbf aek are the current Greek champions and cup winners.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Won feck all but beat football. Let's see how these do when they get to play more than 1 game per week.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well of course you have. Anyone who can't appreciate the Brighton story is a cnut. Any Brighton fan that's been around the last 20 years, this is a pay off that not many get. Lap it up. Just stop fecking doing us.

always_hoping

They don't seem capable of producing two good results in a week under De Zerbi, which isn't a good trait to have when playing European football.

Last season beat United 1-0 to then a few days later lost 5-1 at home to Everton managed by Lampard. They also beat Arsenal 3-0 away and few days later Newcastle hammered them.

acnumber9

how have they beat foorball? They like us are just surviving and playing good football, they aren’t gonna win anything? I don’t think we will either, but if u mean not overspending, Tottoenham are the same, season after season for 2 decades we are pretty much net spend, Levy/ENIC don’t flood us with coin, never have abs never will. They litterally bout us for I think £20m invested I think £50m over 20 years.
Might be wise to read the thread before replying.

frostbite

A kung fu master once said: Sometimes you beat football, sometimes football BEATS YOU!

JogaBonitoRooney

Mocking a club like Brighton in their first European game (I think it's their first, doesn't matter if it isn't not the point here) really shows how far United have fallen.