How could you possibly be content with this?

mav_9me

This is something people are forgetting. I said after we signed him that Ronaldo was a blessing and curse for Ole because on the pitch he'll get goals but off the pitch any dissatisfaction he'll have will be listened to more earnestly by players because he's Ronaldo and The Glazers because he's a bigger money making machine for them than Ole at this point. People here thinking Ole will just have it easy if he finishes trophyless or loses again in the CL are in for a rude(or pleasant) shock
If we continue to lose I hope you are right but I'm afraid you are not. I get your point about Ronaldo being the one player who can make glazers listen. But I fear Glazers prefer to be absentee owners, do minimum necessary, let things meander till the end of the season when we are out of tip 4 to sack him.

I think the first big disaster will be when we are out of the CL group. I don't see them doing anything there. They will waste another season.

And then at the end of the season, once we finish without a trophy but in top 4, what do they do then?

Yakuza_devils

How we can spend so much money and got outplayed by Wolves, Southampton, Villa, Young Boys and West Ham is beyond me.

We are easily one of the highest spenders in world football since SAF retired. The scale of mismanagement has not happened before in the history of football. We are lucky that Man Utd is big enough not to go under.

We are the laughing stock of world football. We have the highest spending but play negative disjointed football.

Apart from Ole, we need to look at Glazer, Ed, Murtough and the management team. Who is making the call? Who is planning the long term future of the club? Is this the manager they are happy with? Is this the style of negative football they are happy with? What is their vision for the club? Top 4 is good enough?

When is the next Glazer dialogue with the fans again? These issues need to be addressed with a clear strategy to achieve it.

mav_9me

How we can spend so much money and got outplayed by Wolves, Southampton, Villa, Young Boys and West Ham is beyond me.

We are easily one of the highest spenders in world football since SAF retired. The scale of mismanagement has not happened before in the history of football. We are lucky that Man Utd is big enough not to go under.

We are the laughing stock of world football. We have the highest spending but play negative disjointed football.

Apart from Ole, we need to look at Glazer, Ed, Murtough and the management team. Who is making the call? Who is planning the long term future of the club? Is this the manager they are happy with? Is this the style of negative football they are happy with? What is their vision for the club? Top 4 is good enough?

When is the next Glazer dialogue with the fans again? These issues need to be addressed with a clear strategy to achieve it.
I long gave up on them. You could argue we will never succeed without that part, and probably be right about it. But it is what it is.

RkkMan

If we continue to lose I hope you are right but I'm afraid you are not. I get your point about Ronaldo being the one player who can make glazers listen. But I fear Glazers prefer to be absentee owners, do minimum necessary, let things meander till the end of the season when we are out of tip 4 to sack him.

I think the first big disaster will be when we are out of the CL group. I don't see them doing anything there. They will waste another season.

And then at the end of the season, once we finish without a trophy but in top 4, what do they do then?
To be fair they did show willingness to sack a manager mid season with Jose. If Ole doesn't get a good result on Wednesday the players that actually came here to win especially Ronaldo won't just sit down and his words and actions will crank up the pressure to a level where even The Glazers won't be able to ignore. It'll be a massive shock if the situation is allowed to escalate to an extent where we're in the EL again if the bigger names of the dressing room show serious discontent and in this case a bigger name that even The Glazers value highly
Pellegrini, Mourinho, Benitez, Sarri and Pirlo didn't survive his discontent Ole isn't a bigger name than those Managers he'll likely suffer the same fate

Kajus

I know this post is 9 months old, but this is a perfect example of the type of response you get when you have the temerity to question Ole’s tactical philosophy on here. It’s never reasonable debate, always personal attacks & aggression.

Other classic examples being “you hate the club” & of course “go support Liverpool/City”
Do you? The post was made after a fantastic 3-1 come back win, making it difficult to understand the negativity of the OP. Yet you use it as an example of why you can never have reasonable debate here. Context matters.

Smores

To be fair that bunch all go hide in the general thread where no debate is allowed so it's no surprise they've very limited takes. They all routinely convince each other that everything is awesome. Bless them.

No one in their right mind can be happy with our performances. It's all good improving the team and atmosphere but that's the job of the technical director. We need Ole to evidence good coaching this season as this team is ready for more.

Bestietom

There is nothing that an overhaul of midfield won't fix. 2 top midfielders instead of Fred and McTominay would work wonders for us, as well as Ole getting things right in team selections and substitutions.

big rons sovereign

To be fair that bunch all go hide in the general thread where no debate is allowed so it's no surprise they've very limited takes. They all routinely convince each other that everything is awesome. Bless them.

No one in their right mind can be happy with our performances. It's all good improving the team and atmosphere but that's the job of the technical director. We need Ole to evidence good coaching this season as this team is ready for more.
More than a little butt hurt after trying to pick a fight down there. Bless ya :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Well there's glass half empty and there's this.

I'm actually not sure if you're on a massive agenda or wumming.

Smores

More than a little butt hurt after trying to pick a fight down there. Bless ya :lol:
I just think you're a bunch of softies. We never used to need hide away threads.

You all sit in there and quote other posters under the disguise of being better posters. It's a bit pathetic and i don't really understand why it's allowed.

And i don't use the Internet to pick a fight. I'm here to see a bit of interesting debate which doesn't happen when people run off when they read a constrasting opinion.

big rons sovereign

I just think you're a bunch of softies. We never used to need hide away threads.

You all sit in there and quote other posters under the disguise of being better posters. It's a bit pathetic and i don't really understand why it's allowed.

And i don't use the Internet to pick a fight. I'm here to see a bit of interesting debate which doesn't happen when people run off when they read a constrasting opinion.
These threads are full of interesting debate, absolutely bursting with it.
Not full of childlike tantrums and the same post regurgitated over and over.
And according to you, anybody not interested in a slanging match is a softie.
They're not hiding, they're laughing. :lol:

Robbie Boy

I came into this season absolutely buzzing and was full sure we were ready for a title challenge. Given the squad is good enough for one, if we fail to do so, Ole will have to take the blame. It's been a bad week or so, and I'm starting to really doubt Ole again, unfortunately. I would say I'm just about content, but that's not really good enough.

Superden

A better manager / coaching staff would get far more out of our midfield. The solution is not always new players

SungSam7

There is nothing that an overhaul of midfield won't fix. 2 top midfielders instead of Fred and McTominay would work wonders for us, as well as Ole getting things right in team selections and substitutions.
Choose one, both won't happen simultaneously .

Kent Devil

I really want Ole to succeed at the club I really do. But I am starting to lose faith in him and his management team that they can deliver trophies at the club. I hope I eat my words if they do turn it around but it's starting to get really hard to be optimistic on their abilities.

thesheriffjw

Another season without a trophy will see ole go and not before.

Tactically, he is out of his depth, but hey, he scoredin CL final.

Ole has no plan b. It is 4231, regsrdless of gsme, score or opposition.

People have fallen for his DNA speeches and cannot see past that

stw2022

Have you seen that episode of Family Guy where Lois discovers she can get the crowd on side by randomly saying “9/11”. I think same applies to things like “United way”. He’s demonstrated he has no idea how to implement it but we like to hear him say it so might as well give him another £300m

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I came into this season absolutely buzzing and was full sure we were ready for a title challenge. Given the squad is good enough for one, if we fail to do so, Ole will have to take the blame. It's been a bad week or so, and I'm starting to really doubt Ole again, unfortunately. I would say I'm just about content, but that's not really good enough.
If we are honest, is the squad really good enough though? We basically have no centre midfield and Villa fans are saying their options are better than ours, it’s hard to disagree.

The more I think about it, the Ronaldo signing was amazing but it distracted from the ginormous crack in our team in the centre of the park. You can’t win anything without a decent midfield. I think we would be better off not signing Sancho and getting Rice instead, I’d be a lot more confident then.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If we are honest, is the squad really good enough though? We basically have no centre midfield and Villa fans are saying their options are better than ours, it’s hard to disagree.

The more I think about it, the Ronaldo signing was amazing but it distracted from the ginormous crack in our team in the centre of the park. You can’t win anything without a decent midfield. I think we would be better off not signing Sancho and getting Rice instead, I’d be a lot more confident then.
Yes, the squad is absolutely good enough. It's unrealistic to expect to be perfect all across the pitch unless you're City and even they don't have a striker this year.

We have a great GK, possibly the best back four and probably the best overall attack with the most options. Our midfield isn't great but it isn't awful either, people like to claim it's worse than it actually is as a way to defend Ole.

Robbie Boy

Good enough for a credible title challenge and to play far better football? Yes, absolutely. Good enough to flat out win the league? No.

Every top team has areas of concern. Ole chose not to address the midfield issue, and that's on him. It's his job now to use what he's got at his disposal and get the best out of them. I personally feel our whole system is flawed, but pointing to the midfield is the go-to thing now.

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes, the squad is absolutely good enough. It's unrealistic to expect to be perfect all across the pitch unless you're City and even they don't have a striker this year.

We have a great GK, possibly the best back four and probably the best overall attack with the most options. Our midfield isn't great but it isn't awful either, people like to claim it's worse than it actually is as a way to defend Ole.
I’m not using it to defend him, I just think our options are nowhere near good enough for a top team, I’m not surprised to see us struggling.

Ole has to find a way to make that weakness less of an issue going forward somehow, personally I don’t know an answer until we get a better player in. Fred is woeful and McTominay just isn’t good enough.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’m not using it to defend him, I just think our options are nowhere near good enough for a top team, I’m not surprised to see us struggling.

Ole has to find a way to make that weakness less of an issue going forward somehow, personally I don’t know an answer until we get a better player in. Fred is woeful and McTominay just isn’t good enough.
It's not a great midfield and it probably would be a problem for any top manager, not just for Ole. But top managers make it work with the weaknesses they have. I mean SAF used to play Park and a 40 year old Giggs in midfield and get us to CL finals with them!

The thing is that our defense and attack are so strong that they should be enough to compensate for our midfield weaknesses but even they have looked shite lately which says that it's not so much about the quality of the players we have but how they've coached and set up to play.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Our midfield would work better if Ole wasn't trying to cram in Bruno, Ronaldo, Pogba, Greenwood all in the same lineup.

Getting in a DM is just a stop gap solution, the real solution would be to find a proper formation that fits the players we have instead of just trying to put in as many attackers as possible.

The midfield is crying for someone who can can take the ball from Fred/Scott and do quick passes to the flanks. Instead we're stuck with Fred and Scott having no confidence to play the ball wide and they resort to passing it back to our centrebacks or force Bruno to run back to get the ball from them in our own half.

Play an extra midfielder if we have to, it's a team game. I don't give a feck if Bruno's stats gets nutured if it means our team performs better.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's not a great midfield and it probably would be a problem for any top manager, not just for Ole. But top managers make it work with the weaknesses they have. I mean SAF used to play Park and a 40 year old Giggs in midfield and get us to CL finals with them!

The thing is that our defense and attack are so strong that they should be enough to compensate for our midfield weaknesses but even they have looked shite lately which says that it's not so much about the quality of the players we have but how they've coached and set up to play.
Park would walk into this team at the moment, he would actually be perfect for it.

AneRu

I know the idea got laughed at when it was suggested but I actually think there is a strong case for putting Lindelof in midfield, him and DVB would instantly improve us on the ball and Lindelof is a fairly good ground defender. Won't be perfect but I think it would get us through to January without losing too much ground. That plus asking Bruno to play more as a third midfielder instead of a second striker

TheMitz

Played 8
Won 4
Drew 1
Lost 3

Looking at the opposition that is not good reading.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I genuinely do not get why we extended his contract. Not a single Premier League club would touch him at the moment. We are just a banter club now alongside Barcelona and Arsenal and all of us will be winning feck all in the considerable future as we've seemed to accept mediocrity.
Because, of "human elements at play"

I shit you not, that's what a poster quoted me when I asked the same question

Bilbo said:
Ole didn't get a new contract to stop him from being poached. There are human elements at play here. You need stability at the top of the organisation so if the club feel that the squad is in safe hands, which clearly they do, then a new contract is a complete no-brainer.

Jezpeza

I’ve always thought that you win or lose a game in the engine room/possession bit of midfield. Regardless of manager, not much is changing here until ours doesnt consist of fred, mctominay and matic. I keep seeing people saying its a squad to challenge for the title, but when you see Chelsea and city's midfield options it clearly isnt. I would go as far as to say that teams like Villa with Luiz and Mcginn, and Wolves with Moutinho and Neves, have a much better base to that midfield. Villa pressed us hard yesterday because they know Fred and Mctominay cant play football and it forced us to play long balls to Ronaldo and Bruno. Shocking

Amir

Are people really making the argument that we are one point from the top after the games we had? Let's see where we are after next 5 games.
Aye.

I remember Van Gaal's second season, when we were on top for a while early on. Then we started sliding down with people looking for positives, which became funnier as time went by: 'we're only two points from the top', 'we're only five points from the top', 'we're only six points from second', 'we're only two points from fourth'...

Look at the performances. That will tell you where you are going.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Aye.

I remember Van Gaal's second season, when we were on top for a while early on. Then we started sliding down with people looking for positives, which became funnier as time went by: 'we're only two points from the top', 'we're only five points from the top', 'we're only six points from second', 'we're only two points from fourth'...

Brighton is a win away from being at the top. That's how you know our position is meaningless. Some people are such blind supporter that it is hilarious. We have probably played 2 good half and it's almost October now. I don't know how people call this progress.

stw2022

Aye.

It became unfashionable quite a while ago to judge team’s performance by watching them play.

Within a few days criticism of the last result will have given way to:

“60% possession. Anyone who doesn’t think we’re moving in the right direction is a plastic “

J2J

It's less about our total points and more about our performances. We're 8 games into the season and how many good displays have we had, the game against Leeds and maybe 45 mins vs Newcastle? And we haven't really faced any difficult opposition yet.

It's just concerning that Ole is in his 3rd season and our style of play does not seem to be any different from his first few months at the club.

Reactions: Invictus

tomaldinho1

A better manager / coaching staff would get far more out of our midfield. The solution is not always new players
Also on the CM ‘issue’ we have Pogba and VdB who both play there but never start over McFred. People say Pogba doesn’t work or we haven’t found his best position…maybe he (probably one of the most best all round technical CMs you’ll find) and VdB (strong in a possession side) don’t work specifically because of our limited setup.

Foxbatt

Hang on a bit. Without Teddy Sherigham scoring the equalizer and flicking off that near post header for the second goal, he would not have scored. The point I am trying to make is that he should be the Manager not because he scored that flick. If so Teddy Sheringham is a better candidate to be the Manager of Manchester United. He should be the manager because he is the best one to win us trophies. At this moment in time it does not look he is going to win those.