How do Barcelona rebuild?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The midfield is more than covered: Busquets, De Jong, Gavi, Pedri, Nico. Then there is Álvaro Sanz who seems to like Xavi.
Having a lot of players doesn't mean they're good players for you. Xavi likes to push the 2 inside forwards way up, leaving the team wide open in defensive transition because the guy(s) you have behind - Busquets and Dani Alves right now - simply don't have the legs and the front 5 isn't good at tracking back. That's why everytime a team beats your counterpress they end up in your box with a huge chance. Araujo is great and Pique is still a solid CB, they're just consistently put in an impossible position because of how you play with the players in front of them

So either Xavi has to change how you play, or you need a DM or two with serious legs. The alternative is signing VvD and Marquinhos or Militao and you're not going to be able to

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Xavi will rebuild nothing if doesn't get rid of his friends by next season. Pique and Busquets are just liabilities for months now (especially Busquets, Piques has ups and downs).

Also, subbing Aubameyang for De Jong tonight was stupid, but I guess Busquets can't be subbed as well on top of being a guaranteed starter.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Xavi will rebuild nothing if doesn't get rid of his friends by next season. Pique and Busquets are just liabilities for months now (especially Busquets, Piques has ups and downs).

Also, subbing Aubameyang for De Jong tonight was stupid, but I guess Busquets can't be subbed as well on top of being a guaranteed starter.
we’ll be fine but I agree about phasing out Busquets. Already feels much better than Koeman

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Having a lot of players doesn't mean they're good players for you. Xavi likes to push the 2 inside forwards way up, leaving the team wide open in defensive transition because the guy(s) you have behind - Busquets and Dani Alves right now - simply don't have the legs and the front 5 isn't good at tracking back. That's why everytime a team beats your counterpress they end up in your box with a huge chance. Araujo is great and Pique is still a solid CB, they're just consistently put in an impossible position because of how you play with the players in front of them

So either Xavi has to change how you play, or you need a DM or two with serious legs. The alternative is signing VvD and Marquinhos or Militao and you're not going to be able to
Absolute tragedy you aren’t a Barca fan. Good analysis

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
we’ll be fine but I agree about phasing out Busquets. Already feels much better than Koeman
Fine for the top4 this season, probably, but what about next season? De Jong became terrible when he started to dislike Koeman and his choices, he looked emotionnally drained, I'm pretty sure he won't appreciate Xavi for long if he's sacrified dispite being clearly better than Busquets.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Fine for the top4 this season, probably, but what about next season? De Jong became terrible when he started to dislike Koeman and his choices, he looked emotionnally drained, I'm pretty sure he won't appreciate Xavi for long if he's sacrified dispite being clearly better than Busquets.
We are a few years away from competing for the league, the rebuild wasn’t going to happen overnight. But I’d hope after the summer window we can continue to improve. I’m worried about the defense more than anything.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Another assist for Adama Traore and a rating of 8. Barcelona will certainly exercise the buy option.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
De Jong is not a like-for-like replacement for Busquets - who is still more than fine in the right setup btw - although Xavi is now playing a formation that could actually work for him, with 2 DMs(even though one of those is the nominal RB). Still, i repeat, either Xavi needs to significantly scale back on the positions of his inside forwards - give up on the 3-3-4/3-2-5 - or he needs to scale back some on the counterpress in favour of quickly getting men back behind the ball and get those men to work their asses off tracking back (this is what Guardiola did in the last 2 seasons, his solution to having Rodri as the HM instead of Fernandinho), something that would require significant time and effort spent on the training ground to the detriment of training other things, which i'm not sure they can afford right now

Or, the simplest solution of all in theory - get someone like prime Fernandinho in there

gajender

De Jong is not a like-for-like replacement for Busquets - who is still more than fine in the right setup btw - although Xavi is now playing a formation that could actually work for him, with 2 DMs(even though one of those is the nominal RB). Still, i repeat, either Xavi needs to significantly scale back on the positions of his inside forwards - give up on the 3-3-4/3-2-5 - or he needs to scale back some on the counterpress in favour of quickly getting men back behind the ball and get those men to work their asses off tracking back (this is what Guardiola did in the last 2 seasons, his solution to having Rodri as the HM instead of Fernandinho), something that would require significant time and effort spent on the training ground to the detriment of training other things, which i'm not sure they can afford right now

Or, the simplest solution of all in theory - get someone like prime Fernandinho in there
I believe someone like Rice can grow into that kind of role but whether Barca can afford him is a different thing alltogether

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
10-15 years ago when the team declined they did it right. They did what every top team should do - plunder team 4-8. In one fell swoop you weaken the opposition and strengthen your own team with proven talent from the domestic league. Often at a rather reasonable price.

Add in a couple of stars from abroad if the required talent is not available domestically.

2007-2011
Adriano, Dani Alves, Seydou Keita - Sevilla
G Milito - Zaragoza
David Villa - Valencia
Martin Caceres - Villarreal

But with their monetary problems their best bet is a great manager who can develop youngsters. Add a couple of reliable squad players on a bosman and a couple of cheap old heads for the short term who can teach the youngsters and deliver 2 good seasons.

Also in the time period above they recruited Pinto from Celta Vigo. It's the shrewdest of moves. Pinto was satisfied playing the odd game in the cup but he was mature, cheap and above all the team jester.

Not to forget - get rid of divas, high earners, players who are blocking the youngsters development and players whose best are behind them. Like Ronaldinho, Deco, Giuly, van Bommel, Eto'o, Yaya Touré

In summary
* Develop youth
* Buy proven talent from domestic opposition for reasonable price
* Buy a couple of old heads that are mature, can handle pressure, guide youth and if possible bolster team morale
* Don't be sentimental, get ready to kill your darlings. Manager needs boards backing.

If I was director of football I'd take a long hard look at the squads of Betis, Sociedad, Villarreal etc to see if there are any gems there. Personally I like Oyarzabal as well as spanish Olmo at Leipzig but I can't say I know even half the players well enough.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
10-15 years ago when the team declined they did it right. They did what every top team should do - plunder team 4-8. In one fell swoop you weaken the opposition and strengthen your own team with proven talent from the domestic league. Often at a rather reasonable price.
What they did 10-15 years ago is a fantasy that will probably never happen again in the history of football. They did it right because they had Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets etc. on top of a genius coach. You can't rely on that happening again, the worst mistake Barcelona could do is think they can do it the same way all over again.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
What they did 10-15 years ago is a fantasy that will probably never happen again in the history of football. They did it right because they had Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Busquets etc. on top of a genius coach. You can't rely on that happening again, the worst mistake Barcelona could do is think they can do it the same way all over again.
You are right, they will never again have 4-5-6 WC players coming through the youth systems at once again. It's impossible. Usually if a top team can develop 1 player every 3 years into a first XI player that's remarkable. I don't know how you reached your conclusion from reading my post?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Replaced the front 3 completely, that might have something to do with it?
our front 3 have been shite so far today, we just play better as a team although the defense needs work.

but we play with a lot more purpose now

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Adama Traore is doing really well for Barcelona. 2 more assists today. Napoli double teamed on him already.

DaGOAT

Doing this without their biggest talent of them all: Ansu Fati.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
our front 3 have been shite so far today, we just play better as a team although the defense needs work.

but we play with a lot more purpose now
we are a very different team than just one month ago... massive improvement and a great performance from the new signings. i didn't expect them to do so well. i hope it last.

we need ansu back, sign a good level 9 (haaland would be amazing but i dont think we will get him) and 3-4 defenses (gaya, cristiansen, azpilicueta, kounde, only kounde would be expensive) and i think we are in a good position to be competitive and fun to watch next year. i would also sign a new GK but i think ter will continue...

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
we are a very different team than just one month ago... massive improvement and a great performance from the new signings. i didn't expect them to do so well. i hope it last.

we need ansu back, sign a good level 9 (haaland would be amazing but i dont think we will get him) and 3-4 defenses (gaya, cristiansen, azpilicueta, kounde, only kounde would be expensive) and i think we are in a good position to be competitive and fun to watch next year. i would also sign a new GK but i think ter will continue...
Auba redeemed himself but some of those missed chances were a shame. Still, can’t really complain too much when he gave us 4 goals in his last 2 matches. Torres finishing though, good lord.

We definitely need to replace Ter Stegen. One of the clubs biggest issues has been hanging onto players far more than they should. Love everything he’s done for us, but it is time to move. We also desperately need a new DM and some fullback. I know Azpi may come in the summer.

and totally agree about a striker.

More than improving, it’s nice that we are playing exciting football again. Valverde may have even had an underrated run, but his pragmatic style was a bit tough to watch at times with only Messi giving us sparks of excitement.

I hope we can have a good showing in clasico. We’ve been having a brutal stretch lately, a complete 180 to a few years prior against Real. Hopefully this momentum continues.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We are on a trajectory to rebuild much much faster then I could have possibly anticipated

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Indeed. Had my doubts but Barca look the most productive they have for a few seasons for the long term and Xavi looks an inspired hire.

From thinking they had little chance got the momentum to make top 4 and possibly add europa league so in circumstances that's a pretty good effort in the post Messi era.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
What are the chances of a Messi return for the final season of his career?

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
What are the chances of a Messi return for the final season of his career?
I hope zero. Barcelona must turn the page and make a project for the future.

For me it would be a shame and a very big step back if Messi came back.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Christensen will be Barca's latest free agent signing.

Teja

I still can't believe I'm in the reality where Auba, Adama and Torres are the Barca front three and they're doing well.

I'll probably catch one of their games at some point.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I still can't believe I'm in the reality where Auba, Adama and Torres are the Barca front three and they're doing well.

I'll probably catch one of their games at some point.
Next year I guess only F. Torres will be the starter.
Fati - Isak / Haaland - Torres

El Jefe

It would be embarrassing if Barca can rebuilding much quicker than we did.

They really were knee deep in shite earlier in the season but a manager change and some shrewd moves in the window and optimism has been restored. Having Pedri, Gavi and Araujo does make rebuilding much easier but its still remarkable how much better things are looking now.

Replacing Buquets and Pique permanently in the 11 should be the priority going into next season. The attack isn't good enough obviously but if Dembele can somehow be re-signed I'd focus on those two areas to build a strong spine.

Paul_Scholes18

Barca show what getting a manager that does a good job does. I was not sure Xavi was going to be a good manager, but he is proven better than Ole for us already.

They have a good squad so should be doing well, but obviously no Messi, Neymar, Suarez level player.

MrEleson

They really were knee deep in shite earlier in the season but a manager change and some shrewd moves in the window and optimism has been restored. Having Pedri, Gavi and Araujo does make rebuilding much easier but its still remarkable how much better things are looking now.

Replacing Buquets and Pique permanently in the 11 should be the priority going into next season. The attack isn't good enough obviously but if Dembele can somehow be re-signed I'd focus on those two areas to build a strong spine.
Their core players are better than United’s that’s why their transition is more seamless.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

I have nothing against United, but it does feel good considering how much crap was talked by their fans (not you, just in general) that it feels nice to prove them wrong for now

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The other day Pedri played a great game, including a very showy nutmeg

Xavi said of him that he is the greatest pure talent in the world, and reminds him of Iniesta ."I have not seen a player with his talent on a world level. Different characteristics from De Bruyne, Modric and other types of footballers, but, in As for talent, it's impossible. There isn't (someone like Pedri)".
I love him and he will surely be an incredible midfielder but I think they are going too far. Even el chiringuito, getting carried away by the euphoria, opened a poll, "who is better, Pedri or Zidane" :lol:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The other day Pedri played a great game, including a very showy nutmeg

Xavi said of him that he is the greatest pure talent in the world, and reminds him of Iniesta ."I have not seen a player with his talent on a world level. Different characteristics from De Bruyne, Modric and other types of footballers, but, in As for talent, it's impossible. There isn't (someone like Pedri)".
I love him and he will surely be an incredible midfielder but I think they are going too far. Even el chiringuito, getting carried away by the euphoria, opened a poll, "who is better, Pedri or Zidane" :lol:
Jesus :lol: