How do Barcelona rebuild?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Obviously, it will not happen; we are a multi-billion dollar company and the board has a obligation to its shareholders and members to make as much profit as possible.
No they don't. Barcelona don't have shareholders, they're a non-profit organization. Money does not leave the club. They have an obligation to ensure financial stability, but that's it
Somehow CL is dominated by 2 teams which had Messi and Ronaldo, players with not very high work rate.
Was. And football has changed in these last few years. It's still changing in fact

Messi hasn't won it in 5 years. Cristiano won 2 years ago with incredible amounts of luck. Bayern Munich could and should have won the semifinal by an aggregate score of like 10-2. To say nothing of the screwjob the ref put on PSG

He cost us about 30m but we had him for a year or so already which reduces his value technically.
He cost £30m when you signed him. This summer obviously his worth was much less with only 2 years left on the deal, less than half that
High press doesn't mean high defensive line. Thats what was more unique yesterday.
Of course it does. How do you even play a high press without a high defensive line

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
In the short term, move Vidal, Rakitic, Umtiti (whose post WC decline has been amazing), Suarez out the door, move Puig and Fati to full timers as well as adding Trincao and Pedri, use the loanees correctly (Coutinho, Alena, Rafinha) who can provide depth and some verve in the team. The next step is planning to replace Alba, Busquets, Pique over the next year, then finally Messi the year or so after that. Stop spending cartoon money on players without any idea how to fit them into a team or a style of play. The way teams like Liverpool, City and Bayern are playing, you need intensity and physicality as well as technique to succeed in the CL now. The Barca team is just too old, slow and lacking in hunger in too many positions, but you can't replace everyone in one summer.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

As much as the dawn of Barca is discussed I have to think about the fact that they still managed to reach the last 8 of the CL.
I assume we all agree that this would count as huge success for us in the coming season.

Bojan11

As much as the dawn of Barca is discussed I have to think about the fact that they still managed to reach the last 8 of the CL.
I assume we all agree that this would count as huge success for us in the coming season.
It’s the way they got knocked out not what round. When teams up the intensity against them they don’t seem to cope anymore.

Denis' cuff

something like this apart from sell Messi. Keep him but they also they need to trim the fat right back. That’ll take a season or 2 to clear the decks. A bit like what Ole is doing here. Promote a few of the best kids and change the transfer strategy. Their fans won’t mind a few transitional years after how wildly successful they’ve been. Even Madrid are concentrating on young players now the last few years.
might not be he best right back but thought Semeda was in reasonable shape

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Pique, Suarez, Dembele would all be out the door for me. Griezmann, too. Nelson Semedo. I'd obviously never get rid of him until his legs had really gone; but Messi holds way way too much power within the corridors at Barca

I'd be surprised if he didnt pick the team most weeks

The difference is that the PL is so much more competitive and so Utd’s troubles have meant we drop out of the top 4. How crap do Barcelona have to be in order not to qualify for the CL through the league in Spain? Answer is very, very crap.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They need a complete reset, but will have to try and use the mistakes they have made for the next few years to gear a rebuild. Messi needs to go, even though he is still brilliant. His wages, combined with his age and the state of their finances means they should shake hands and he should leave when his contract is up. It gives them a year to phase him out and at the same time, really celebrate him and his time at the club.

Suarez, Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal all need to go too. Since they won’t get big fees for the players they have bought, they need to start using them in their best positions and giving them a proper go.

Use the money saved in wages to start the rebuild with young, hungry footballers that can mix with a refocus on their youth ranks.

Pique and Roberto can stay to help the changeover and be useful squad players.

I would try and get in Upamecano and Camavinga with the money saved in wages. Use Coutinho from the left, Greizmann as the front man and Dembele/Fati as options on the right.

Start from there, and then slowly look at better options from full back etc...

I don’t envy the person who has to do it, especially with the rumored dressing room issues and player power.

ariveded

They need runners, hard-working players. Currently, their XI is just big stars who go sulking when things aren't happening their way. They need hunger and determined players.

Likes of Henderson, Milner are perfect examples, and these players complete the team. Do Barca have some upcoming good youth player? Give them a chance instead of buying another player with huge wages...

Luke1995

Are people seriously suggesting Messi needs to go ? The only way that would work out well for Barcelona is if they managed to bring in C.Ronaldo or Neymar as the replacement. Replace one player with another of the same quality, or at the bare minimum, the one who is the closest one to these two (Neymar).

Dansk

To be fair, we're the same. We have posters replying into threads asking about best world XI with our XI. Pure tribalists, and not football fans.
Noone's ever done that unless they were blatantly joking.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I couldn't give a flying fluff how they rebuild...feeeeeel it Barca, feel the struggle.

Long may their fall continue...

...just long enough so we can meet them in the CL and do them.
:D :lol: I wholeheartedly condone this level of selfishness. When/if we meet them again in CL, I too hope they are horrible.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
David Moyes and OGS have both done it in last six years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wasn't there a link to Bernardo Silva this week? He'd be a good pick up given he seems to have fallen out of favour for some reason at Man. City.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why don’t they bring in Pep?
Pep allegdly didn't want to have anything to do with Bartomeu and Rosell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back if Laporta wins the elections though.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Pep allegdly didn't want to have anything to do with Bartomeu and Rosell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back if Laporta wins the elections though.
Barca is a mess. I don’t see Pep as having the stomach for a rebuild of that size.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

It would take something utterly catastrophic for them to fall too far. They are too big a draw for talent and especially as long as South America had keep putting out great talents (this has actually slowed significantly from the big two there this decade imo, but you only need one or two true elites) and the Spanish system can keep the level it's been at for the last few decades to provide the foundation and occasional star of their own, i can't see them truly struggle. I'll be very surprised if they even end up with a period as relatively poor/inconsistent as their early 00s era.

JPRouve

Scout
Barca is a mess. I don’t see Pep as having the stomach for a rebuild of that size.
Keep in mind that Pep once said that he didn't want to last forever as a manager, he could comeback as a board member or technical director like Cruijff did.

The difference is that there are so few good teams in Spain, that they will only ‘fall’ to third, so always get CL football. Massive difference between Spain and the Premier League.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Keep in mind that Pep once said that he didn't want to last forever as a manager, he could comeback as a board member or technical director like Cruijff did.
It would be an interesting dynamic. Barca need root and branch reform, so it could be fun to see Pep take a technical post. Parallel with Cruyff is interesting. For all the hype, I don’t think Pep is anywhere near as transcendent.

JPRouve

Scout
It would be an interesting dynamic. Barca need root and branch reform, so it could be fun to see Pep take a technical post. Parallel with Cruyff is interesting. For all the hype, I don’t think Pep is anywhere near as transcendent.
The parallel is only about moving to something else not their historic importance.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The parallel is only about moving to something else not their historic importance.
Fair enough. It’s funny though, because at one stage, Pep was being talked about as someone who changed the course of football history. In reality, he had an insane squad that played otherworldly football, but this could not be replicated elsewhere.

I also think it would be quite a blemish for Guardiola to assume a technical role so relatively early in his managerial career. Unsurprising though, because everyone can see the rot has set in, just like it did for Mourinho.

He has had his decade at the top and is now in the process of being overtaken. His methods are starting to look tired and his approach in big matches is muddled at best.

Ekeke

They had a shocking performance, but only finished 5 points off the league winners this season. Some of the posts on here would suggest they finished mid table or something.

They've done a terrible job with their spending that is true. But with the right players coming in I could see them at the top of la liga with maybe 2 good signings

diarm

City fans want rid of Pep so Barca should bring him back. Once he's home, he can bring De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva back in a swap deal for Griezmann and Suarez.

Everyone's happy. Especially me.

JPRouve

Scout
I agree that they are extremely confused in terms of identity right now.

when under extreme pressure like last night, they reverted to their DNA of PepBall, passing from the GK trying to tiki taka through Munich midfield, and they failed miserably.

The first critical decision of the new sporting director is to decide what style of football will be competitive enough to win in 2 or 3 years. And from evidence of past few years, it seems that that days of possession domination tik tok won’t cut it anymore.
Possession is still the way to go, all the top teams in Europe are possession based outside of Atletico and maybe Juventus-Inter. If you ignore the managerial issues, Barcelona's squad is poorer athletically and technically than it's own previous squads but also the likes of Liverpool, Bayern, Dortmund, City and even PSG. The reason they haven't been exposed that much in terms of results is that generally Ter Stegen and Messi are the best players on the field which wasn't the case yesterday.
So the new technical director won't have to think a lot about style outside of picking a manager that fits their current and future key players. They need to add speed upfront, something that they used to have in abundance with the likes of Messi, Villa, Pedro, Henry and Eto'o. They need to add power, stamina and technique in center midfield something that they used to have with Iniesta, Xavi, Traoré, Thiago, Mascherano and Touré. And the same is true in defense they never really replaced Dani Alves, the right side used to be a lethal combination with Alves and Messi, Umtiti is their best defender when fit but he seemingly can't stay fit and they need to replace Piqué.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They had a shocking performance, but only finished 5 points off the league winners this season. Some of the posts on here would suggest they finished mid table or something.
They've done a terrible job with their spending that is true. But with the right players coming in I could see them at the top of la liga with maybe 2 good signings
The question is how do they raise the funds and reduce the current wage bill to do so. (see the wages post on previous page).
They suddenly find themselves with a 'business model' problem, as well as 'quality of squad'.

The question is how do they raise the funds and reduce the current wage bill to do so. (see the wages post on previous page).
They suddenly find themselves with a 'business model' problem, as well as 'quality of squad'.
Do they have a training ground they can sell to
The Spanish Government for £250m ? Or does that only work if you are Real Madrid?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I even posted a stat from 2014 when Messi ran just 1 mile more than GK.
At the time, it was rumoured that Messi was saving himself for the 2014 World Cup.

Messi’s workrate in 2014/15 was certainly better than it is nowadays

Ekeke

Let players leave at a loss. Play Dembele and Coutinho or sell each of them for 60 million euros / £54 million maybe a few million less to help cover the wages, or offer to pay 50% of their wages or something.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think it was Zlatan who wrote in his book that these Barca players were all superstars but they were like school boys nodding for eveything that Pep said. Now I don't know how it is but their work rate is surely on the decline by huge margin.

Btw @BARCA fans, is there any chance Pep will be back to Barca if they get different president?
Joan Laporta said if he was to be Barcelona president again, he'd try and bring Pep back as manager. I don't think Pep will be back as manager. I could see him potentially coming back to run La Masia or something but he won't come back as manager of the first team.