How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

Then why are we paying them stupid wages? Start clearing out and we'll see we actually have more money to spend that we're not wasting on this shite, and the beauty of being the most commercially successful club in the world currently is that we have about £80m a season to spend on players anyway.
Well if we blow the entire £80 million on Maguire and high wages for everyone, then we can't really complain that we have no midfielder for years. It's a stupid waste of money.

And I agree with you, we need to ship half this lot out, preferably Maguire included.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In 20 years there will be a Netflix mini-series made about an English conman who made millions playing for Manchester United and England by tricking the world he was a fecking professional footballer.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's here until the end of his contract, which will be extended for certain :lol:

No one would ever buy him, and he'll never get a better gig.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The price tag wasn't his fault but he is definitely not a great defender. I'm sure we can get ~£30m for him with how crazy prices are, maybe West Ham will want to replace Zouma. He is not a top four player anyway, without doubt.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
How can a full season of shit performances be a knee jerk reaction?
Next it will be Pogba, before Maguire it was Sancho.

As for your point, none of our players have covered themselves in glory this year. The club is in a very bad moment and not an easy place to play football right now.

Andrew7582

He's not athletic enough, or good enough at reading the game to play in a high line and this was very easy to see before we signed him. I don't know what our scouts/management were smoking that made them think he was worth £80 million.

TheGame

But it was a goalscoring opportunity. Unless I’m going mad, if Maguire didn’t clothesline him, Rodriguez would have had half the pitch to himself with no one anywhere near him. And of course there has been countless other errors. Just to rattle a few off, there’s Atalanta away, Leicester away, Liverpool at home and Watford away. That’s not all too.

Plain and simply, he’s nowhere near good enough to be a Man United starter, and I’m sure you’re aware of that too. Raphael Varane - there’s a Man United starter. Oozes class, and is the actual Rio replacement that Maguire was touted to be. Yes, he has made maybe one clear mistake, but his almost seamless adaptation to the league and clear quality has really shown Maguire up in a big way.
It has to be an obvious goal scoring opportunity and he is so far from goal so it isn’t. Even Peter Walton said it wasn’t a red. As I said plenty of players have made mistakes this season and Maguire hasn’t been at his best but he alone is not responsible for our position.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Knee jerking has become tiresome.
You'd like to believe that this thread is an emotional reaction to today's game rather than exasperation that Maguire has proven, yet again, to be a liability for the umpteenth time this season.

He plays a vital position in the team that compromises so many others when he messes up. He is a liability, but you do not bench £80m players, so the alternative is to sell them... or play them.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

As for your point, none of our players have covered themselves in glory this year. The club is in a very bad moment and not an easy place to play football right now.
You are making as much sense as the geniuses defending OGS on here for years even though it was clear he was not good enough.

Maguire does not even exercise the same profession as Pogba and Sancho talent-wise. The guy would be at home in the championship.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Body double for Pedro Pascal in the Mandalorian. He kind of looks like the Tesco version of him anyway.

crossy1686

career ending

To be fair, the Maguire one has legs. He hasn't been convincing since he arrived for stupid money. Had had a decent season when we finished second but he still had his moments then and Bruno carried us that year. He's just absolutely shite.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
You'd like to believe that this thread is an emotional reaction to today's game rather than exasperation that Maguire has proven, yet again, to be a liability for the umpteenth time this season.

He plays a vital position in the team that compromises so many others when he messes up. He is a liability, but you do not bench £80m players, so the alternative is to sell them... or play them.
He has been very poor, I'm not defending his recent form. People seem to have short memories though, he's been a good player for us for the majority of the time he's been here. People saying he's the worst ever player are just giving emotional reactions.

ClassOf'99

He's just a liability, it's simply impossible to argue otherwise at this point. At best he's our third-best CB and I'm convinced Lindelöf and Varane would form a much better partnership.

We'd never get nearly enough money for Maguire for it to make sense to sell. But he has to be dropped.
At best Bailly and Jones are above him too, joke of a signing and joke of a player, got 1 goal disallowed first half, he knew what he was doing, and then their... The words I would use to describe it would get me a ban in here.

Blake's 7

And to think City bought Dias for £20m less, wonder what the differential is now?

dave1956

He seems to lack spatial awarness as if he is playing with blinkers on or has tunnel vision, this added to his none ability to turn quickly and lack of recovery pace makes him a liability when players run at him. I believe his poor performances will continue as teams exploit his weaknesses and force him into mistakes.
There is also the added factors of his defensive partners losing confidence in his ability to defend and decision making. Can he improve, at 29 I would say he has reached the peak of his physical ability, he certainly cannot improve his ability to turn quickly or improve his recover pace, and is only going to get slower with age.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It has to be an obvious goal scoring opportunity and he is so far from goal so it isn’t. Even Peter Walton said it wasn’t a red. As I said plenty of players have made mistakes this season and Maguire hasn’t been at his best but he alone is not responsible for our position.
So therefore what? Therefore every and any negative view of Maguire should have an asterisk saying ‘and AWB has been a bit poor this year too and Bruno hasn’t been his best?’ Given the actual performances this man has been turning in, this constant finger pointing you are doing at everyone is unnecessarily defensive.

ti vu

That man is a fecking donkey. He doesn’t know whether to commit or stay back then he decides to commit which is an absolutely bizarre decision, I mean school boy stuff and predictably he ends up second best and after that it’s curtains as he’s as slow as fecking snail.

Mental that he’s an 80 million pound defender. I wouldn’t pay 80 quid for him. He’s absolutely fecking horrendous.
One of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for United over a prolonged period of time. Totally fecking useless.
Agree. He's all over the shop regarding tactical aspect of defending. Shaw is similar to some extend, but he has speed to recover which he put to good use more often than not. These 2 together, and god forbid AWB would make it indefensible from tactical point of view.

At 46:39, when Jay Rodriguez made his initial run in behind, he was made off side. Varane made sure adjusting his position to Luke Shaw. Yet Maguire lack any sense of tactical awareness that he's shit scared and instinctually backed away from Weghorst running backward after the release of the pass, as if the pass is a through ball to a player running in behind. That gave Weghorst some breathing space to control the ball. Next at 46:42, Maguire closed down Weghorst with 2 options: keep the pressure by staying tightly, of commit to the tackle throughly taking Weghorst down even. He managed to do the impossible. He looked like he overcommitted, but completely let Weghorst cleanly loose.

Afterward Shaw shoulders the blame for failed offside trap, but at that point it's understandable that the shock of disbelief took away the situational awareness from Shaw. Seeing the situation live on TV, I couldn't understand what just happened. It's not easy to react correctly to this situation. Nobody can and should expect this outcome of that moment.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He has been very poor, I'm not defending his recent form. People seem to have short memories though, he's been a good player for us for the majority of the time he's been here. People saying he's the worst ever player are just giving emotional reactions.
But how can it be put to the side that a player of such importance, playing a vital role in the team, is costing us points with his errors?

Football is a team game, and fingers can be pointed at many of our players, but Maguire's consistency in being so poor makes his position as a starter untenable, and with that, his place at the club untenable as, again, you don't put £80m defenders on the bench.

You can't just write off a season for him and say go again next season as that is willful negligence and burying heads in sand rather than addressing the elephant in the room.

I don't think Maguire's ever lived up to his price tag, but this here is different gravy - his standard of performance is not acceptable.

TsuWave

feck’s sake. I didn’t see this one and bumped an old thread. Apologies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Also, Maguire is the definition of the sunk cost fallacy.

Who cares you've spent £80m on him? Did Spurs make fun of their board for sacking Nuno and basically admitting they had a major feck-up? No, they cheered for a better late than never and kept supporting the team.

The issue for us is that we're run by absolute dumb chums, on both football and business matters and they cannot admit to being wrong, even though it's obvious to a blind man. Of course, he's also on stupid money but we need to write it off because he'll cost us way more long-term.

Bin this guy and start a new United.

Laurencio

I think Pep was trolling Ole 100%. Pretend you want Maguire and then go and get Ruben Diaz. Ten times the player.
This was obvious to anyone with eyes who bothered to watch Diaz play at the time.

He seems like a weak willed player. He was horrible after the Mykonos incident, got better the more positive the coverage around him became, very good in the euros and the feel good team they had going, started the season average, but got worse when coverage worsened in the media. Had his San Marino nonsense blow up and looked even more incompetent. He clearly pays attention to what the press writes about him and it seems to affect him greatly - which is very worrying when it comes to his position and role at the club.

I don't think I've seen a defender be more affected by media coverage than him. Given the media pressure at Man Utd we probably need to replace him sooner rather than later. He'd probably do wonderfully for someone like Everton though.

TsuWave

That man is a fecking donkey. He doesn’t know whether to commit or stay back then he decides to commit which is an absolutely bizarre decision, I mean school boy stuff and predictably he ends up second best and after that it’s curtains as he’s as slow as fecking snail.

Mental that he’s an 80 million pound defender. I wouldn’t pay 80 quid for him. He’s absolutely fecking horrendous.
One of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for United over a prolonged period of time. Totally fecking useless.
infuriating stuff.

TheGame

So therefore what? Therefore every and any negative view of Maguire should have an asterisk saying ‘and AWB has been a bit poor this year too and Bruno hasn’t been his best?’ Given the actual performances this man has been turning in, this constant finger pointing you are doing at everyone is unnecessarily defensive.
What are you even on about? People seem to be pinning our whole seasons failures on Maguire when I am pointing out it is more than that. I have clearly stated Maguire hasn’t been at his best this season.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But how can it be put to the side that a player of such importance, playing a vital role in the team, is costing us points with his errors?

Football is a team game, and fingers can be pointed at many of our players, but Maguire's consistency in being so poor makes his position as a starter untenable, and with that, his place at the club untenable as, again, you don't put £80m defenders on the bench.

You can't just write off a season for him and say go again next season as that is willful negligence and burying heads in sand rather than addressing the elephant in the room.

I don't think Maguire's ever lived up to his price tag, but this here is different gravy - his standard of performance is not acceptable.
These are all questions for the manager to answer, why a solid performer who rarely made mistakes has turned into a disaster waiting to happen overnight. Same questions should be asked of Shaw, AWB, Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno etc...

Yes we over paid mainly due to the English tax and United being United. But he isn't the first or last it shouldn't be what defines him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Agree. He's all over the shop regarding tactical aspect of defending. Shaw is similar to some extend, but he has speed to recover which he used. These 2 together, and god forbid AWB would make a it indefensible from tactical point of view.

At 46:39, when Jay Rodriguez made his initial run in behind, he was made off side. Varane made sure adjusting his position to Luke Shaw. Yet Maguire lack any sense of tactical awareness that he's shit scared and instinct backed off Weghorst running back after the release of the pass, as if the pass is a through ball to a player running in behind. That gave Weghorst some breathing space to control the ball. Next at 46:42, Maguire closed down Weghorst with 2 options: keep the pressure by staying tightly, commit to the tackle. Throughly taking Weghorst down even. He managed to do the impossible. He looked like he overcommitted, but completely let Weghorst loose.

Afterward Shaw shoulders the blame for failed offside trap afterward, but at that point it's understandable that the shock of disbelief took away the situational awareness of Shaw. Seeing the situation live on TV. I couldn't understand understand what just happened. It's not easy to react correctly to this situation. Nobody can and should expect this outcome of that moment.
What’s more annoying is that with his lack of pace, you’d think his positional and tactical awareness would be top notch but those two aspects are probably his worst. I could understand if he had pace to recover but he commits himself to the silliest tackles.

Just look through his mistakes - so many things that could be avoided by just keeping a cool head and having a bit of awareness.

If he was brilliant in everything else but had limitations with his mobility - he’d still be a brilliant player. They’re have been lots of slow defender whom could really read the game but he’s just dreadful.

Speako

I said the same thing in the match thread, but Maguire genuinely wouldn’t be a starter at centre back for Burnley. Bottom of the league Burnley. And they have better central defenders than him. What must Varane think seeing him as captain?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
infuriating stuff.
What’s worse is that that are numerous times where he does the exact same thing in different games, some lead to goals and some don’t and yet nobody pulls him up on this. Or they do but he’s just a braindead silly cnut that can’t help himself. Im going for the latter.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
He's just not a defender who will you a league title. Wouldn't be such an issue had we not made him the single most expensive player in his position in the world.

I said the same thing in the match thread, but Maguire genuinely wouldn’t be a starter at centre back for Burnley. Bottom of the league Burnley. And they have better central defenders than him. What must Varane think seeing him as captain?
Nah, he would start and look absolutely world class for Burnley. Sit in his own box for 90 minutes and head everything away - that's a job Harry Maguire was born to do.

Maybe he just needs for us to set up like a Sean Dyche team :nervous:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What are you even on about? People seem to be pinning our whole seasons failures on Maguire when I am pointing out it is more than that. I have clearly stated Maguire hasn’t been at his best this season.
Then leave everyone else alone if they want to say the same, in whatever way they choose to. And he’s easily been worse than any other performer you insist everyone else should be mentioning.

Laurencio

He's just not a defender who will you a league title. Wouldn't be such an issue had we not made him the single most expensive player in his position in the world.
That shouldn't matter. No one thought he was anywhere near as good as Van Dijk. His price was inflated because of the potential work permit effects of a hard no deal brexit, and everyone knew that at the time.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Just get Newcastle interested at £40mil, they will think they've had a steal. Absolutely no way he can continue to be here next year.

TheGame

Then leave everyone else alone if they want to say the same, in whatever way they choose to. And he’s easily been worse than any other performer you insist everyone else should be mentioning.
Who the feck put you in charge? I’ll post wherever I choose and I’ve not insisted on mentioning anyone. I’ll stick to my view that he is not solely responsible for our mess.

ti vu

Send him on loan to Flamengo. That team accepted to purchase Pereira despite the fatal mistake in Libertadores final. They should be able to tolerate Maguire's error and buy him off us.

Status
Not open for further replies.