How do we sell Harry Maguire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The1974s

I'm so sick of this Maguire crap, i've never seen a guy get so many chances and screw it up each time. Also ETH and Southgate defending him and saying he'll get back to his best. No he won't.

You are totally correct . Maguire has had his peak and United are ran by people stupid enough to pay 80 million for him and that's the only reason he's still our Captain .
The man will only keep declining so he should be sold ASAP and we move on.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm so sick of this Maguire crap, i've never seen a guy get so many chances and screw it up each time. Also ETH and Southgate defending him and saying he'll get back to his best. No he won't.
What do you want them to say though? "He's shit, this is his level, he won't get any better"?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Is his contract not up soon? Think you'll just do a Pogba on him.

Drakul

Maguire, AWB and Shaw cost a lot of money both in term of transfer fees and wages. Hope ETH can find a way to improve their form.

ETH has done very well with McT, Dalot, Varane, Rashford and Martial.
Martial? The guy has been injured the whole season apart from a 45 min stint o.O

Drakul

Is his contract not up soon? Think you'll just do a Pogba on him.
He still has a further 3 years left on his contract! A Pogba ain't happening with him. Needs to be hounded out of the club. The guy is shameless enough to stick it out and keep crying about booing, and complain about other players when he himself IS the biggest problem. His sources' City quote was atrocious so was throwing De Gea under the bus. The guy didn't come out and apologize for the quote so means he stands by it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nope, he's contracted till 2026. Woodward thought it was a good idea to give him a 6+1 contract.
:lol: :lol: :eek:

Basically your new Phil Jones then. Will just morph into eternal bench player until perhaps Jan 2025 when someone may take a punt on him. He'll be into his 30s by then though.

Jericholyte2

I believe his time at United is up.

I feel like he was building up prior to the Euros, but the combination of the hangover all England players seemed to have after that, combined with the Greek fiasco, he’s never been close to the same player.

Let him go back to Leicester, or a similar level and let him get back to being a perfectly good English CB without the pressure of United or being the most expensive CB.

AFC NimbleThumb

I feel like he was building up prior to the Euros, but the combination of the hangover all England players seemed to have after that, combined with the Greek fiasco, he’s never been close to the same player.

Let him go back to Leicester, or a similar level and let him get back to being a perfectly good English CB without the pressure of United or being the most expensive CB.
People need to stop peddling this. Multiple examples of him being poor before Greece.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m not suggesting he was prime Maldini or anything, but he was pretty solid. A step above the likes of Smalling to be sure.
Fair point in comparison to Smalling he was an improvement but the discussion about Maguire goes back to pretty near the beginning.

I suppose my biggest issue with the sudden pile on is that people turned a blind eye to his errors early on because we either rode our luck through them or managed to come back from them. He’s not as bad as people are currently making out but he was never as good as others portrayed to begin with.

InfiniteBoredom

The Greek thing was before the Euro.

It’s a myth that just wont die.

nakpodiareuben

You are totally correct . Maguire has had his peak and United are ran by people stupid enough to pay 80 million for him and that's the only reason he's still our Captain .
The man will only keep declining so he should be sold ASAP and we move on.
When he came, he was good. I remember In Maguire first match , Jose Mourinho was MOTD commentator and he was praising how Maguire was covering for everybody. At the end of the season, our defence looked good and we conceeeded the least number of goals among the Top 6. Next season he was made captain and we were second in the league. My point is...He is not scrap. We bought him because we needed him and he was on high demand.( We outbidded city for his signature).
He has 2 major problems now
1. He is lacking confidence.
2. His weakness is being exposed due to how we play. Maguire can never be successful in a high line.

The way forward is that Maguire will go back to leciester or another middle class team that likes to counter and always have lots of bodies at the back. Someone mentioned Spurs but I doubt he will improve any top 6 team.

Reactions: Jippy

nakpodiareuben

For starters I think we all know Haaland costs you more than £100 million. One way or another. More likely £150 million.

But what use is a top striker if the team behind him can't pass the ball? Dortmund only just made top 4 with him last season didn't they? He's not a magic bullet. He still needs service, needs his team mates to work hard, defend properly etc.

I'd much rather some proper scouting and buy three 50 million pound players who get the team functioning as a unit properly first.

Because £150 million on a any player, when the overall team is sub standard, isn't the best use of resources.

Eventually the penny will drop with the club, even if a section of fans keep wanting us to make the same mistake over and over.

I have been reading comments here for over 5 years now but decided to be a member due to this argument of yours. You are spot on bro. YOU NEED A TEAM TO WIN MATCHES. It's better to buy 3 good players which will improve the team than 1 with same amount of money. Greece winning the Euros in 2004 made me conclude that. And to be honest with us....Manchester united during Sir Alex did not really have the best players in their team even in England. But we were successful cos we always have a team playing for each other. A balanced defence, hard working midfield and strikers who are confident. If an opportunity comes to sign a wonderful player for a lot of money....no problem. But ensure the team is balanced. Let me give us something to worry on. We bought Sancho at the start of last season for a lot of money, we brought Ronaldo because he was a superstar. Those 2 deals plunged us into 6th and exposed us as a team. Not because they were bad players but because their presence changed our shape and chemistry. Real Madrid tried it with the Galaticos era but it never worked.

galwayfa

in the UTD panel at the moment i think only 3 have won premier lge titles, all have being said are not good enough at various stages of their time here, i know it means nothing as father time and form catches up on everyone, i think he is still worth 40m or so to some team in premiership

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
When he came, he was good. I remember In Maguire first match , Jose Mourinho was MOTD commentator and he was praising how Maguire was covering for everybody. At the end of the season, our defence looked good and we conceeeded the least number of goals among the Top 6. Next season he was made captain and we were second in the league. My point is...He is not scrap. We bought him because we needed him and he was on high demand.( We outbidded city for his signature).
2. His weakness is being exposed due to how we play. Maguire can never be successful in a high line.

The way forward is that Maguire will go back to leciester or another middle class team that likes to counter and always have lots of bodies at the back. Someone mentioned Spurs but I doubt he will improve any top 6 team.
There was never competition. We're only Club in the whole world that bid for him for that Leicester's price.

Also Maguire was made Captain in his first season.

Last edited:

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
in the UTD panel at the moment i think only 3 have won premier lge titles, all have being said are not good enough at various stages of their time here, i know it means nothing as father time and form catches up on everyone, i think he is still worth 40m or so to some team in premiership
Well he can't be sold till January can he, at the earliest. He will be worth more than £40 million if England can win the World Cup plus United need him now as Varane looked hurt today.

norm87cro

Inappropriate Content
In all honesty the guy has became a scapegoat for a lot of United supporters worldwide. He is an average classic british type of CB whos pinnacle is West Ham or Fulham. He is still not as bad as Lindelof who is an absolute puff...
But all in all as somebody on the CAF said we have spent 140 mil on him, Lindelof and Bailly and we could have sticked with Evans and Smalling and we would not have been worse off. Martinez is the first CB I have confidence in after a very long time and even he needs a tall teammate in a partnership as well...

Havak

Pokemon master
It's going to take some creative negotiating to get Maguire out before the end of the Summer 2023 window. Personally, I get the feeling he'll still be on the bench for us next season unless he really wants to start elsewhere, in which case I'm sure he'd have to take a huge pay cut and probably pay something to get out of his contract as well... it is a bit of a mess. I can't see us investing in another CB until he is gone either. We are probably trying hard to offload Jones and Bailly at the same time.

With Varane's injuries, Maguire will probably even feel he has a chance to play and fight for a place...

SAFMUTD

Can see him leaving on loan with us covering a big part of the wages and hopefully moved on a year latter for a symbolic fee of no more than 15-20M.

In all honesty the guy has became a scapegoat for a lot of United supporters worldwide. He is an average classic british type of CB whos pinnacle is West Ham or Fulham. He is still not as bad as Lindelof who is an absolute puff...
But all in all as somebody on the CAF said we have spent 140 mil on him, Lindelof and Bailly and we could have sticked with Evans and Smalling and we would not have been worse off. Martinez is the first CB I have confidence in after a very long time and even he needs a tall teammate in a partnership as well...
Yet Lindelof gets picked ahead of him by the first manager who knows what he's doing. He's much better with the ball and reads the game better, which for me is Maguire's biggest weakness.

p.s i dont think you should be calling him that either :nono:

Posh Red

What the feck :lol: I think you should go hang out in the Qatar thread. Or perhaps not.

Relfy

The only way he leaves is if he starts and plays well for England at the WC, and then someone comes in for him. We need him to do that to boost the value and his exposure across the market. I think the club will wait to see the extent of the injury to Varane and who comes back fit after the WC before making a decision. If he stays and barely plays all season his value plummets (and rightly so). Someone like a Newcastle might come sniffing at the right price.

I'm not too against Maguire - he was wildly overpriced, but we paid the money, so that's on the club. If he's happy being backup, then he's of sound quality for that role.

LoneStar

Yes, our best chance is that he performs really well in the WC, and gains some confidence to play decent for the rest of the season.

Can't see us letting him go in Jan, considering we barely have options there and Varane being very injury prone. However, I don't think he'll be at United next season.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
With Varane out until after the WC he will be getting games, hope he can prove me wrong.

cyril C

Your quoted 2 problems are in fact minor, because they can easily be fixed. There are 2 more MAJOR problems

3. No Club is going to pay >50m for him, at best a high 20s. Eat the loss.
4. No Club is going to pay 150K for him, so either he has to take a 50% pay cut, or we subsidize his loss.

skc_18

Team was not coherent in the first few games but I think now even with Maguire we will play good. As long as Licha and Casemiro starts, Maguire defects wont be exposed.
Also, we play weaker teams for next few matches. I think this is a golden chance for him to return to form.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Your quoted 2 problems are in fact minor, because they can easily be fixed. There are 2 more MAJOR problems

3. No Club is going to pay >50m for him, at best a high 20s. Eat the loss.
4. No Club is going to pay 150K for him, so either he has to take a 50% pay cut, or we subsidize his loss.
I think you'll end up with a loan arrangement by the end of his contract, a bit like Bailly's now. It allows Utd to receive a loan fee and some help with the wages. A loaning club, someone like Everton, would be more likely to raise their wage ceiling if it was just for 10 months than for a permanent contract. All other costs you've incurred, for his transfer fee and for the remainder of his contract, are sunken costs; they've already happened.

Boondog

One thing that factors in here is the unilateral improvement by every defender this season. So why wouldn't Harry improve too. Surely by now he sees that doing the work for this manager and fully buying in is the path to finding whatever game he has left.

Ten Hag is a wizard with the back line. A wizard I tell you. And please no bad hogwarts jokes.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Looked okay last night when he came, maybe this the turning point in his career? With Case-fkn-miro in front protecting him hopefully he does well until King Varane is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.